what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of a 1960s version of a home lighting control system like X10. There are panels in various places with a rotary switch and a single 'light switch'. Dial the circuit number and flip the switch, and the lights on that circuit change state. There are additional panels that look like sets of 3 light switches, where each switch changes the state of one lighting circuit via the same relays.

It's definitely not a standard. It's a strange old GE system.

Here's the high end version: Gretchen's 1961 GE low voltage lighting system - Retro Renovation

Wow! That's fairly fancy for a 50-year old system. As the push-button "commands" for on/off operation are momentary and require a latching relay, I look up on the Web, and find that this type of relay is still made and sold. Interesting!

GE RR7 - 20A SPST Low Voltage Relay Total Lighting Control :: Low Voltage Relays and Switches - Galesburg Electric Inc

Last edited:
Dug up three cedars (nasty winter) and planted four. Power washed the back deck and stairs. Picked up 80 20L bags of topsoil. Planted 4 rhubarb plants that I got off craigslist (looking forward to pies!). Cut the grass. Sprayed Roundup on a bunch of weeds. Sprayed Deer Off on the treats that the deer like. Now having tea and watching the hockey game! A good day!

Went to a big family gathering a bit over an hour away for a memorial service for one of DW's aunts. Later everybody went to one cousin's house for dinner. Rain kept ~35 people inside a small house but we had a good time and no one went hungry.

The star, of course, was the six-week-old baby all the ladies fought over holding. No photos, too crowded.

Where does one go when one needs an especially roomy toebox?

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that you never want to buy running shoes based on the recommendations of friends. What works well for them may be totally unsuitable for you. Feet (and associated body parts) are so individual that you need to do your own evaluation, preferably with a knowledgable sales person.

A good running store will have at least one person trained in biomechanics who can observe your gait (ideally while you're on a treadmill in the store) and give you good advice.

Here are some suggestions:
How to Buy Running Shoes | Runner's World
The 50 Best Running Stores In America 2013 - Competitor.com

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that you never want to buy running shoes based on the recommendations of friends. What works well for them may be totally unsuitable for you. Feet (and associated body parts) are so individual that you need to do your own evaluation, preferably with a knowledgable sales person.

A good running store will have at least one person trained in biomechanics who can observe your gait (ideally while you're on a treadmill in the store) and give you good advice.

Here are some suggestions:
How to Buy Running Shoes | Runner's World
The 50 Best Running Stores In America 2013 - Competitor.com
+1

Online reviews are equally unreliable, despite how closely they appear to match your needs. The best thing you can do is find a good shoe at one on the stores linked by Braumeister, buy it, then buy replacements online until the model you use is discontinued.

+1

The best thing you can do is find a good shoe at one on the stores linked by Braumeister, buy it, then buy replacements online until the model you use is discontinued.

+2

When DW was dealing with plantar fascitis the Dr. suggested a specialty shoe store an hour away. We went, they had the treadmill with cc TV to examine her gait and suggested a pair of shoes. The LBYM guy in me gagged at the nearly $200 price but I figured "If this works, they're worth it".

They worked, so they're worth it.

I worked today. My last Mother's Day at work. Since I take care of newborns, it was a joyous day, "happy Mother's Day, your son/daughter is perfect". Got done earlier than usual, decided it was a perfect BBQ night (78 degrees and sunny in PA) so bought baby backs. Slow cooked in the oven while the boys made our yard beautiful. Sitting in the evening clear sky, sending you all this message, DH pouring me wine. Grill ready to go, to finish those ribs, pool heating for swimming tomorrow. 4 glorious days off, thinking of next year and FIRE for real. Life is good.

Weather was glorious in Southern Ontario as well. Spring has finally arrived so I got lots done in the yard. Top dressing and seeding and working in the beds as well as cutting my mom's grass and planting some flowers for her. Happy Mother's Day! Celebrating my birthday with the extended family. My first one as a retiree! Seems like the evening birdsong has never sounded so sweet. There is a dove nesting in the tree outside the front door, robins outside the bathroom window and sparrows in a birdhouse by the back deck. Doesn't get much better!

For the first time, cooked a whole beef tenderloin. We were quite pleased with the results and immediately decided we are going to do this again. :)

Murdered some weeds on the river bank with my bush hog. My tractor pretended it was a bulldozer, knocking over and digging up old pecan tree stumps...:D

A bit of gardening. Now enjoying unseasonably warm weather, wine, and a good read

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

went the to lake and fished for a couple of hours, came home and went with my DW and got pedicures (please don't take my Man card).. heading out to the local winery now for their theme dinner and wine tastings... this month's theme is food from Tuscany.. interesting day :cool:

Flew in to Switzerland this morning for some vacation. I relaxed on my balcony for most of the afternoon, enjoying the splendid weather:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400345263.988018.jpg

Sooo... last night at the end of my first official week of ER, I walked out the front door and rolled my ankle on a perfectly rolling-pin round stick that the dog had left on the side walk and broke my ankle. 'Man's best friend' indeed! And was in the middle of a Breaking Bad episode when I went out. Bad Break eh?! Some sweet irony! Hopefully not sidelined for too long - way, way too much to do in the gardens!

Sooo... last night at the end of my first official week of ER, I walked out the front door and rolled my ankle on a perfectly rolling-pin round stick that the dog had left on the side walk and broke my ankle.

Well, it can't get much worse than that so you know it's going to get better. And at least you don't have to deal with work at the same time as a cast and crutches.

Sooo... last night at the end of my first official week of ER, I walked out the front door and rolled my ankle on a perfectly rolling-pin round stick that the dog had left on the side walk and broke my ankle. 'Man's best friend' indeed! And was in the middle of a Breaking Bad episode when I went out. Bad Break eh?! Some sweet irony! Hopefully not sidelined for too long - way, way too much to do in the gardens!

ouch! what a way to begin the next phase! Keep the faith!

So sorry to hear this! Thank goodness you are retired so that you can focus on taking care of your ankle. Good luck and I hope your recovery doesn't take long.

Thanks. Such is life or those are the breaks as it were. It is certainly nice not to have to worry about making any arrangements for work. Have an aircast at the moment and getting used to the crutches. Follow-up with the Fracture Clinic next week but it looks like a nice break and likely to heal well. Hopefully be able to weight bear before too long.

Tried out a new artist quality matt photo paper.
All I can say is WOW!

Do tell more. What paper and why "WOW!"?

I was going to go to the gym but we both said "the heck with it" because we were lazy. Tomorrow AM for sure.

Been trying to make the effort to shoot more photos, even if only in the back yard so I did that today in addition to a minor grocery run.

Volunteered as a griller at an Eggfest (Big Green Egg demo/sale/food festival). Loads of fun. Spent four hours cooking and serving a variety of dishes. There were over 60 Eggs in use, each one cooking something different, so the patrons had a tremendous menu to choose from (just wandering around picking up samples at each Egg). I had a ball and would definitely do it again.

The way these work is that all of those Eggs in use were pre-ordered by some of the attendees, and at the end of it they took them home with them. Used once for a few hours, and sold at a huge discount from the new price.

Replaced dead router.

Some hassle with comcast until got back online again. Maybe an open secret, that original PC's MAC address (the one wich was present when the account was set up) is the only one their cable modem will recognize. Had to do some serious digging to find that ancient number. Triyng to deal with tech support from Bangladesh is is a real trip. They never mentioned it. Just had some vague memory of the requirement. After setting up the spoof, all is well now.

Drained, scrubbed then refilled the Hot Tub. Shold be ready by 10 PM for a nice soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom