what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a letter from my insurance company, that administers the FEMA flood insurance on my house. The letter said that my annual flood insurance premium, due next month, would be increased by 25% if within two weeks I didn't provide any one of several listed documents which would serve as proof that I am living in my home. One of these proofs that I could provide, was the auto insurance card this same insurance company just sent me. :facepalm: :ROFLMAO:

So, I called my insurance agent's office and got that straightened out. Sometimes I think the world has gone looney-tunes while we weren't looking.

If you couldn't provide the card they mailed to your address, it's evidence you don't really live there. Lol.

If you couldn't provide the card they mailed to your address, it's evidence you don't really live there. Lol.

You're right! :LOL: That would sure be evidence that I didn't live there (and was even crazier than they are).

If I couldn't provide it on a daily basis (or whenever driving my car), I would be in a world of trouble. Not only would I have completely wasted my $1344/year car insurance premium :eek:, but also it is illegal in Louisiana to even drive without the card. You literally cannot even talk to the motor vehicle department without the card in hand, so forget renewing one's registration. Heaven forbid getting stopped for a ticket or at a checkpoint, or having an accident without that card, because IIRC they would impound the car and take away my driver's license. :D

Last edited:
You're right! :LOL: That would sure be evidence that I didn't live there (and was even crazier than they are).

If I couldn't provide it on a daily basis (or whenever driving my car), I would be in a world of trouble. Not only would I have completely wasted my $1344/year car insurance premium :eek:, but also it is illegal in Louisiana to even drive without the card. You literally cannot even talk to the motor vehicle department without the card in hand, so forget renewing one's registration. Heaven forbid getting stopped for a ticket or at a checkpoint, or having an accident without that card, because IIRC they would impound the car and take away my driver's license. :D

In Texas, you just get a ticket if you can't provide the "card" to a patrol officer. One time DW got pulled over (speeding on a feeder road) and couldn't locate the card in her glove box. I took the ticket to the Houston main courthouse to pay and brought the whole insurance policy since the "card" was lost. The clerk taking my $50 in cash to pay the fine would not accept the issued policy as proof of insurance!:confused:

I had to request a supervisor to come and rescue this situation since I did not want to drive back to town with a new "card"! I guess those cards are pretty important!

In Texas, you just get a ticket if you can't provide the "card" to a patrol officer.
Not necessarily.

Although TX law still says you need a card the TexSure Vehicle Insurance Verification program that went online last summer means some law enforcement agencies won't need to ask for it - like the TX Highway Patrol who pulled me over for speeding (68 in a 60 zone) last week...:nonono:
...the proof of insurance card should be carried at all times. The law requires "the motorist or operator of a vehicle to provide evidence of financial responsibility." Further, Transportation Code 601.053(c) as added by the 83rd Texas Legislature requires a peace officer with access to the verification program to check insurance coverage through TexasSure prior to issuing a citation to a driver who cannot present their insurance card. It is important to note that not all law enforcement agencies have access to the system.

But I am not in Texas. I am in Louisiana. (Isn't everybody? :LOL:) In Louisiana, my best understanding of what happens is:
B. When a law enforcement officer stops a vehicle at an administrative violations checkpoint, or in connection with an alleged violation of the law, or for any other reason, or when a law enforcement officer investigates an accident, the law enforcement officer shall determine if the owner or lessee of each vehicle is in compliance with the provisions of this Section which require evidence of liability insurance or other security to be contained in the vehicle. If the owner or lessee is not in compliance with those provisions, the law enforcement officer shall take the actions specified in this Section.
C.(1)(a) If the operator of a motor vehicle is unable to show compliance with the provisions of this Part by displaying the required document when requested to do so, the motor vehicle shall be impounded and the operator shall be issued a notice of noncompliance with the provisions of this Part on a form to be provided by the department. Notwithstanding the provisions of R.S. 32:852(E), such notice may be sent by first class mail. A copy of the notice of noncompliance shall be provided to the towing or storage company and a copy shall be forwarded to the office of motor vehicles within three calendar days after the notice of noncompliance was served. The notice of noncompliance shall serve as notice of administrative hearings rights. In addition, the law enforcement officer shall remove the license plate from the vehicle if the vehicle is registered in Louisiana. The law enforcement officer shall deliver the vehicle license plate to the chief of the agency which employs the officer, or to a person in that agency designated to receive such license plates. In those cases in which a motor vehicle is not impounded, a copy of the notice of noncompliance shall be attached to the vehicle license plate and both shall be delivered to the nearest office of motor vehicles within three calendar days after the notice of noncompliance was served.
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88607

Last edited:
I think one of the main reasons for the TexSure computerized proof of insurance system was the frequent forgery of proof of insurance cards and/or the ability for someone to get insurance (and a card), then immediately cancel or stop payment on the policy. The new system should make it more difficult to fake coverage when they have none.

I think one of the main reasons for the TexSure computerized proof of insurance system was the frequent forgery of proof of insurance cards and/or the ability for someone to get insurance (and a card), then immediately cancel or stop payment on the policy. The new system should make it more difficult to fake coverage when they have none.

You Texans are so high tech. ;)

Last edited:
Driving North of Vero Beach, pulled in Ponce de Leon Landing. As I'm backing out I hear crunch. Guy in a county vehicle was in my blind spot. Nobody's hurt, but he insisted on calling police. When the Fl. State Trooper arrives he says they don't work accidents on private property. Guy insisted he had to have a written report, I ask too as I'm in a rental. Trooper says sure writes it up.

Called my AMEX Fidelity card, they cover collision up to 50K, no liability. Called rental 800 number, there is paperwork in glove box to fill out. Saturday I get to return the dinged up rental, paperworks all filled out. Who knows how much bs I'll go through there.

County guy was pretty nice, I got to ask all kinds of questions about living there. He gave me some great suggestions on what to look for. Better areas to look at, things so watch out for. Bad way to meet but maybe it was a good thing.
MRG

I'm batching it because Lena's in Sweden at a family reunion.

I had my every-two-years annual physical and it went really well. My cholesterol numbers were super-good.

My doctor is easy on the eyes::smitten::smitten:

1hEThEW.png

and told me I can keep doing the "annual" physicals every two years.

I bought an oscillating cutter at Harbor Freight.

I then hung out at Starbucks and had a nice healthy breakfast (except for the carrots and squash), while I waited for the library to open,:

QeGW4t7.png

Then I got some more books out from the library on how to write gooder. One said that "It's not a story if something doesn't go wrong," so, I'm sorry that this post isn't a story.

Last edited:

Geico has a app that has your card on your phone/tablet, Arizona accepts it.

card.JPG

Anyway, we are done with what we came back to town for: to visit a wedding venue with our daughter and her fiance. We are going back to the high elevation today. Can stand this heat no more!

Yep, I am back up at the boonies home. Temperature of 80F, with very low humidity of 11%, and with a strong breeze. I am on a hill, so open front and rear deck doors to let the wind blow through. Life should be this good!

Rain on & off all day so staying inside. Played with the macro lens and some close-up filters on a small flower plant. Macro is neat - you make discoveries. No claims about how worthwhile the discoveries are....

The arrow is pointing to what sure looks like a little butt in the flower.

Attachments

• purple_flower.jpg
    purple_flower.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 17
Went to the hospital for a pre-op check. I'll be going in on Monday for surgery on my ulnar nerve by my elbow. I've had tingling to no feeling on 2 of my fingers for over a year and finally decided physical therapy wasn't going to fix it.

We also just got back from a trip to the Cancun Mexico area. My oldest son just got married there. During the trip, I must have injured/re-injured my left knee, jumping off the scuba diving boat onto the beach. I had bad timing and jumped off just as a wave hit, so instead of the boat being about waist level, the boat was about shoulder level when I hit the sand and water. I'll be mentioning the knee to the surgeon before the operation and maybe schedule a longer post-op appointment. In any case, the trip was a blast and we wish we were still there.

akck-284068-albums-z-misc-pic113650-diving.jpg

akck-284068-albums-z-misc-pic113648-sting-ray.jpg

Last edited:
Rain on & off all day so staying inside. Played with the macro lens and some close-up filters on a small flower plant. Macro is neat - you make discoveries. No claims about how worthwhile the discoveries are....

The arrow is pointing to what sure looks like a little butt in the flower.

Maybe the flower is saying "enough with the macro and butt out". lol

I made a print for a friend and another one for a relative. Then I went out and bought some of those cube storage ottomans where the top inverts in to a serving tray. It seemed like a smart way to clear up some clutter while taking up no more room than my current serving tables do. Plus I can prop my feet up on the things and snooze.

I finally got the neighbor's kitten to allow me to pet her. When walking by the house, I'd take a bit of salmon. It only took a few times to get her to come to me.

what did you do today?

DH and I spent most if the day taking my 88 year old Dad to an ophthalmologist appt at the VA (Veterans Affairs) medical center in Cleveland, OH.

For all the negative things in the news recently about the VA centers, this one is run well and outside of it being a long day, I was very impressed by the place.

Ophthalmologist appts always involve waiting so I knew to expect that. The place was full of signs and people ready to help you with directions, assistance or a question. I got the feeling that all these veterans were appreciated and respected.

One of Dad's favorite parts of going to the VA is all the people watching and having lunch in the Patriot's Cafe. The 3 of us ate for under $12 and Dad always insists that he pays for lunch. He has asked me to keep his cash for him, it's his winnings from a long ago trip to Las Vegas. I think he won $1200 and it must have been in the early 1990's when he and Mom travelled a lot. There is still a few hundred left and he doesn't want to keep it in his assisted living facility, so I keep it for him.

I made sure he knew that I used his money for lunch and then he wanted to give us another $5 for gas since we had to drive in from out of town. He has no idea that gas is $3.50/gallon or more, he likes to think he covered our costs and that's just fine.

My sister took him to the VA once and begged us to never make her do that again! She lives right in his neighborhood, but taking Dad to the VA really interferes with her regular activities and she may break a nail. She's uncomfortable among people who don't dress well or drive nice cars. Anyways, she and her DH are in Spain and Portugal for 2 weeks.

DH has been taking Dad to his appts but Dad can't use his walker anymore and has been using a wheelchair since his most recent fall. DH said he could handle this on his own with Dad but I went along to help with driving and logistics.

DH said he really doesn't mind doing this, his own Dad died 14 years ago at age 70 and DH didn't get a chance to do these things with his own Dad.

My husband may be the best son-in-law ever!

Last edited:
Got my new Canon photo printer up and running, doing the color calibration process now with the Colormunki. (That's going to send some to Google!)

Went to a Fridays@Five Concert with DW for about an hour. Local businesses sponsor local bands to play in the town center for a couple of hours on Fridays in the Summer. This one was '50's and '60's music.

Attachments

• Back_beat.jpg
    Back_beat.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 16
I cut grass this afternoon at our house and at the DD's house (she was at work). It was in the 90's and humid outside. Nice!

It will be interesting to see what my new Fitbit recorded while I was wailing away at the two lawns for a couple of hours.

Went grocery shopping. Goofed off. Lost 3.5 pounds since Sunday ( gained 20 lbs first year of retirement lol). 11 more to go.

image-1884921329.jpg

I watched Mexico/1 vs Cameroon/0 , Spain/1 vs Netherlands/5 and currently watching Chile vs Australia!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom