what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Physical therapy today. Not only did I raise my arms above my head, I did it with weights in each hand and I did it over and over :dance:

My wife and I are about to get a fire going on our Gulf Island property - the summer fire ban is soon to be imposed, so we have a hard day's work ahead of us to get the last of winter's windfall of branches and debris burned. We will be bustin' our tails, but at least we have a supply of beer to keep us going!

Went on a local garden tour with a friend. The diversity was quite amazing! Lots of interesting goodies to try along the way. A fun day.

I am on a home hunting trip out of state. But am managing to work in some music :)

I am on a mission to introduce some newer music to the "mature" crowd: my pet projects are Nellie McKay and Lake Street Dive. I saw the latter at an outdoor concert Friday night.

It was in a natural amphitheater, park like, picnics, lawn chairs. Lots of kids, little ones with their parents.

They do this tune called "Seventeen" that was written by their bass player, Bridget Kearney (in my opinion one of the best bassists today, male OR female, plus she's from Iowa - Midwest power!).

The tune's pretty "poppy", but has a great hook. Every time they hit it, the kids all jumped up and started clapping, swaying. and basically gettin' jiggy wit' it. :D

http://youtu.be/BD3dmnRXIuo

Took the grandkids to see Chinese Acrobatics yesterday, then went out for lunch. Over to DD for lamb on the grill this afternoon. That and World Cup...

This day 1 of the kitchen and baths redo. We have 40 sheets of cardboard covering a lot of flooring, 5 zipwalls, a lot of the master bath and most counter tops are gone. There are a bunch of guys making a lot of noise. only six weeks minus one day to go -- if nothing runs over. I am impressed at how respectful the workers are both to us and to our belongings.

A few hours of kayaking, then stop at $tarbuck$. Took my winter beater truck for re-inspection, having replaced the computer which runs things. Passed.

Time to kick bck and watch the coming thunderstorm.

I am still up at the boonies home. It's a blustery day, with wind gusts up to 40mph as the weather forecast said.

Besides the garage siding, the home exterior also needs some work. The work so far on the homes will add another 1% WR to this year's expense, bringing it to 4%. May the bull market continue.

Last edited:
I spent the day troubleshooting a 30 year old power supply. The voltage regulator stopped regulating, so I'm researching rebuilding the regulator to be reliable and robust.

Took the trash out, early start, did not put it out last night as the 'yotes were yipping. Kept checking on a buck in velvet most of the day. In the AM he had an extended layabout on a little mound, then early afternoon spent time browsing around the yard. I got distracted watching a sub slide by out front and have not seen him since.

Had surgery done on my ulnar nerve. Waiting for meds to wear off to see if feelings return to two fingers.

Been home a week and ready to travel again, but for some stupid reason committed myself to an old church reunion this weekend. After that, I'm gone again. So, today I just goofed off again. Love it.

Went with DW and her sister to the elderlaw attorney to discuss the possible need to set up a trust for DW's other sister, who has some mental issues and is on SSDI. There will be an inheritance in the very low five figures from FIL's assets and we weren't sure if just giving her the funds directly would disqualify her.

Since SSDI is not asset-based it won't. Whew! They did NOT want to have to deal with the sister, her mental issues, and money. It may temporarily affect her medicare coverage but since they're already so close to the edge financially anyway it won't be for long. They will spend the money foolishly and quickly.

I know what I'm going to be doing. Went downstairs for something and found a spot of water on the concrete floor. Hmm... that's usually not a good sign. Figured out it's coming from the refrigerator. Go upstairs, wrestle the machine away from the wall (Some of them have wheels. Of course mine doesn't.) and find a deep puddle of water behind it. Clean that up, along with many year's accumulation of dust and debris.

Okay, it's either the water supply line to the icemaker or condensate from the defrost cycle. Now it's watch 'n wait since that's the easiest way. If it's continuous, it's the water supply line. If it's only during the defrost cycle, it's the drain from the evaporator (top freezer) to the condensate pan down below.

DW and I went for a walk, then went shopping for some new clothes for her. Most everything she has is from a time she was heavier, and is baggy on her.

I know what I'm going to be doing. Went downstairs for something and found a spot of water on the concrete floor. Hmm... that's usually not a good sign. Figured out it's coming from the refrigerator. Go upstairs, wrestle the machine away from the wall (Some of them have wheels. Of course mine doesn't.) and find a deep puddle of water behind it. Clean that up, along with many year's accumulation of dust and debris.

I had the same problem with my side by side before Christmas a few years ago so I went and bought a new french door refrigerator and moved the side by side to the lower level where it never leaked again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not done much today, other than lounging around in the cool mountain air, surfing the Web and watching a bit of TV. Our TVs down in the metropolitan home have not been turned on for months, but up here with the strong wind blowing for the last few days, there is not much I can do outside the home. The contractor's workers ran out of things to do without building material that was backlogged, so did not show up either.

I happened to tune in to Bloomberg when Yellen emerged from the Fed meeting and gave a talk. Her statements had an immediate effect on the market, and as I was looking at my account on the Web, I immediately grabbed some shares of an ETF I have been ogling. Heh heh heh... It's just some play money, but it is more fun (and more lucrative too) than going to Vegas.

The forecast says tomorrow the wind will die down. So, I can resume staining the home exterior, and y'all will not see me here as much.

Last edited:
Spent the whole day helping the father-in-law migrate from an old to a new computer with windows 8.1. Thought it would be easy with "windows easy transfer"...

Electric fixit day...

Fixed a power supply that appeared to have lost regulation. The problem was a noisy potentiometer, which had also changed resistance quite a bit. Cleaned the device as a temporary fix til I can get a proper replacement.

Then, I worked on a cordless electric weed whacker. That one had a shorted cell in a sealed lead-acid battery. It only lasted about 14 years. Ordered a new cell. Way cheaper than a new weed-whacker...

Today's my last day of w*rk. I've worked very hard since giving notice to make sure everything is transitioned properly and that I don't leave a mess for someone else to clean up. Today will be social and celebratory. (Apparently, people like me. LOL)

After work going to a craft brew tasting room that's a block from work for some beer with the work crowd. I skipped the formal lunch since those tend to be less conducive to actual conversation... hence the beer gathering.

Tomorrow starts the new chapter.

Woo hoo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom