Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #1141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Zen woodstacking. Belly button contemplation sitting in lawnchair, soaking up sun. Tomorrow rain.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #1142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moved dirt. It's amazing how much heavier it is when it's wet.

Been running some numbers in preparation to our refi. I'm thinking if I significantly reduce the mortgage amount I can decrease our yearly taxable draw from our investments. This should decrease our tax bracket, which is of interest to me. I'm going to go back and read some of those old mortgage/no mortgage threads that the old folks here (membership-wise, not age) are always talking about.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #1143
Give me a forum ...

A few days ago I looked at a nice high rise condo in a nearby neighborhood. It's in my price range, 5 minute walk from downtown, and the building and surroundings are very pretty.

Went back today to get a feel for the main street a block or so away. No place I would want to be after dark, so Iím no longer interested. In a way I am glad, as I can continue my totally irresponsible life as a renter.

ha
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #1144
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, retirement date is getting closer - broke the 100 day mark recently.

Signed a whole sheaf of forms for the HR people and shipped them off to head office today.

And my boss dropped by to talk about the "farewell" due. I protested (I'm more the slip out the back door type) -- but he let me know that this is one argument I'm going to lose. He knows me pretty well, though and assured me that it they are planning a pretty low key affair - just the folks I work closely with. It's going to be a BBQ at his home. I did get him to agree that there would be no gift -- just a charitable donation.

Still feels a bit unreal. That should change pretty soon though as I begin to transition active cases to other counsel.

Lots of changes.

And on top of it all, we're sitting here watching the Red River flooding in North Dakota. All that water is headed this way. Lots of sandbagging going on in the area. We should be OK though -- our main worry is overland flooding if we don't soon get warm weather to break up the ice and get the farm fields draining properly.

Rob
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #1145

Took care of my 3 mo old grandson all day, intermittently letting the dogs in and out. At one point the dogs had some fun in the mud so I spent some time washing their legs down before letting them back in.

Ate a big spinich salad with tomatoes, walnuts, and olive oil and an apple for lunch.
Then later had a little ice cream.

Driving home,the sun shining, I felt really happy and blessed!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #1146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Took care of my 3 mo old grandson all day, !

My grandson is coming next week for a visit . I can not wait . Grandchildren are really a gift .
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #1147

Today is goof-off day. Lunch at FIL's house with DW and SIL, hope to prod/goad/push them into discussing getting an appraisal on the house and getting it on the market without me coming across as the heavy. But he's still slowly bleeding cash and this cannot continue indefinitely. They all know it but no one wants to face it.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be good for a long motorcycle ride and that's what I'm going to do. Maybe tour the battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. I ordered a handlebar mount and wiring to put the GPS on the motorcycle.

Thinking about riding to Steamtown in Scranton, PA later this summer. (Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)) Also the railroad museum in Baltimore, MD. (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum) I like big heavy machines.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #1148
Give me a forum ...

Ok, here's what a w*orking stiff did yesterday:

1)Got up at 6 am (normal) and got me and the kids off to school and work.

2)Had 4 meetings and a presentation, worked until 7:00pm.

3)Quick dinner, then homework help for the kids, and scooted them off to bed.

4)DW and I worked on some last minute issues with our taxes, and went to bed at midnight.

Today, up at 6:00 am again........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok, here's what a w*orking stiff did yesterday:

1)Got up at 6 am (normal) and got me and the kids off to school and work.

2)Had 4 meetings and a presentation, worked until 7:00pm.

3)Quick dinner, then homework help for the kids, and scooted them off to bed.

4)DW and I worked on some last minute issues with our taxes, and went to bed at midnight.

Today, up at 6:00 am again........
Hey just think vacation is right around the corner for you.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #1150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hey just think vacation is right around the corner for you.
And I am NOT taking my laptop with me, per DW's orders. I guess she is insituting the "no-laptop" rule, if she's not taking hers, I'm not taking mine.

Oh well, my uncle has high speed Internet......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #1151
Give me a forum ...

Today is my 2 year anniversary of FIRE.
No philosophical dissertations to deliver......suffice it to say I'm a happy camper. I feel like I've been reborn.
Oh, did my usual Chinese buffet today. Skipped dessert.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
And I am NOT taking my laptop with me, per DW's orders. I guess she is insituting the "no-laptop" rule, if she's not taking hers, I'm not taking mine.

Oh well, my uncle has high speed Internet......
I just enjoy having luxury of looking things up before I leave the hotel room. But if you got it all planned out then Id leave that thing behind too
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #1153

Woo Hoo!

Working on 9 months here! Still finding plenty of ways to goof off and waste time.

-- Rita
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #1154
Give me a forum ...

Congrats freebird!

What I've done today so far.... Worked at the court verifying auto insurance, then rolled around on the floor with a heap of files.

Went to Lowe's, came home and spread 23 bags of lava rock. I'm pooped.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #1155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is my 2 year anniversary of FIRE.
Hey, same here. More or less. I actually went in a few days here and there to answer a few questions, but I was pretty much out of there by April 1st. I must be getting use to this retirement gig, didn't even cross my mind today.

Played golf, took the mutt on a hike, and now about to review my tax return one more time before transmitting. Oh yes, market up today. So a pretty good day.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #1156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Hey, same here. More or less. I actually went in a few days here and there to answer a few questions, but I was pretty much out of there by April 1st. I must be getting use to this retirement gig, didn't even cross my mind today.

Played golf, took the mutt on a hike, and now about to review my tax return one more time before transmitting. Oh yes, market up today. So a pretty good day.
Cool! I picked April 1st on purpose. In 2007, April 1st was a Sunday, halfway between pay periods.
It was a "statement" on my part. I heard later that someone in the immediate management chain was convinced I was bluffing.
2 years also or longer?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #1157
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up around 10:40am
Fed Casanova, had some coffee, surfed the net, paid bills, checked bank statements,
relax a bit before I go to my pt job at the salon.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #1158
Recycles dryer sheets

Got up at 0700 and looked out at the 3" of snow that fell overnight . Guess there wont be any equivocating on the news about how the Spokane area broke the all time snow accumulation record this winter100+ inches. Ain't global warming grand?

Watched the snow melt and made a list of things to get tomorrow when I go to town. Plastic pipe to replace a frozen section of sprinkler line, bolts and all thread to repair the ramp to the boat dock, brake rotors to replace cracked ones on the car, and a barrel to make into a burn barrell. Getting ready or spring if it ever comes.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #1159

Had the in laws over. Made some grilled lamb. MIL loved it. Brownie points for me.

Just a usual kick back and relax day.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #1160
Give me a forum ...

Usually up at 6 AM for send-off duty (coffee, snacks, H&K). Broke the mold and slept in until 9:30. Felt guilty for 1.5 nanoseconds.
Attacked the screened-in porch, cleaning, re-arranging, analyzing the easiest way to stain the PT plywood floor. I'll have to move everything to one side, vacuum, stain, let dry for 2 days, then move everything over to the other side. Next week's project...rain is forecasted thru Sunday.
Made beef and mushrooms in cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot.
Started reading Yeager's Ultimate Cheapskate book.