Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #11641
Administrator

Carnival (Mardi Gras) parades have begun, and so we dodged a big parade today. F lives about a half block from the parade route that it was on, so I picked him up before the crowds arrived and we got out of that area. After lunch we killed time shopping in other parts of town, and eventually managed to sneak back to his house just as the parade ended.

After dropping him off I followed the streetcleaners out of there. I dodged several happy paradegoers walking in the temporarily deserted streets, wearing lots of pretty and unique beads and carrying all the rest of the loot they caught.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #11642
Administrator

Went to see Lincoln at the movies. It was very, very good. Daniel Day-Lewis certainly deserved his Oscar nomination for that performance.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #11643
Recycles dryer sheets

Church. Then FOOTBALL
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #11644
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went to see Lincoln at the movies. It was very, very good. Daniel Day-Lewis certainly deserved his Oscar nomination for that performance.

+1. Great flick. Was a bit surprised at two things - Lincoln's machavelian approach. I felt he came off as borderline slimy. And what I thought was a way excessive use of the very offensive "n"-bomb. Not needed. (they dropped it way too much in Django too).
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #11645
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
And what I thought was a way excessive use of the very offensive "n"-bomb. Not needed.
Growing up in the 1960s, I heard that word regularly in everyday, casual conversation. It's not too much of a stretch to think of how common it was in the 1860s. I thought Spielberg's use of the term, most importantly in Congressional debate, was important to capture the feelings of the people involved -- to make their atavistic hostility to the 13th Amendment understandable to the modern audience. In general, I don't think we do ourselves any favors when we sugarcoat history.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #11646
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...

I folded laundry and roasted 4 chicken legs for midday supper. Mr B made homemade french fries . He's like a little kid with a new toy (he bought a compact deep fryer in WallyWorld a few weeks ago).
I made him a pepperoni/mozzerella roll with a pizza crust mix that was about ready to expire.

I ordered TurboTax Premier. The best price I found was at Amazon.

I ordered some heirloom pepper seeds from Sandia Seeds. I selected the Big Jim green, Anaheim, and Espanola chile varieties. I will get them started indoors in early February and grow them to just before setting blooms size. I will trim them back if they get too big to encourage branching and a sturdy main stem.
I am experimenting with some leftover radish and carrot seeds in an Earthbox indoors. I am leaving the grow light on 24/7 just to see what happens. Hopefully the plants will not take over the free world.
If the radishes grow more foliage than root, I will use them for greens.

I watched the championship football games. It's not looking good for the Patriots with the final 2 minutes left in the game

I may brave the lake effect snow and go up to the Lake Ontario beach camp again this week. I want to bring my xcountry skis and ski the beachfront if there is enough snow and no ice pieces on the shore. If nothing else, I'll bring my snowshoes and do that with my friends.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #11647

FIL's house is finally up for sale. Yay! Hopefully a quick sale and then it's someone else's maintenance chore.

It's mostly emptied out but there is still some furniture left for staging so there's only one more time moving all that stuff.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #11648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
FIL's house is finally up for sale. Yay! Hopefully a quick sale and then it's someone else's maintenance chore.

It's mostly emptied out but there is still some furniture left for staging so there's only one more time moving all that stuff.
Congratulations on getting that done. Having been there/done that with my FIL, I have some appreciation for all the work involved.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #11649

An uncle of DW visited yesterday. We drove to Miami to pick them up, about 50 miles, and about halfway back we left the highway and took route A1A, aka Ocean Blvd, which tracks alongside the beach. Even though it is mostly built and there are no uninterrupted views of the water there were lots of people walking & bicycling and it still made for a pleasant ride. We bought some shrimp, tuna and white wine, went home and enjoyed a pleasant afternoon.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #11650
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In lieu of remodeling our kitchen for the second time in three years, my wife agreed to use the money for something else. Went out and bought a 70" Visio TV. Now we have to get some things done to get ready for the installation Wednesday. New location.

My wife has failing eyesight and can no longer easily read the description of shows posted on the onscreen guide. Verizon said no way to make the wording larger so we're going for a larger TV. Looked good at the store so here's hoping.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #11651
Give me a forum ...

I let Mr B talk me into getting a car starter for our recently purchased 2011 Ford Escape. It will be installed today.
I'm usually too cheap to buy something like that when I am perfectly capable of removing snow from the vehicle glass surfaces.
He pointed out that I am always on his case not to go out in bitter cold and exert himself. I am usually in my PJs when he leaves for his morning coffee clache at the Legion.
Bottom line...do I really want to bundle up and do the snow removal or get a car starter ?
The Martian (men are from Mars...) cleanly won the debate.

He's getting way too good at outwitting me. Time to change my tactics.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #11652
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got a USB DVD player for DW's 'puter. Plugged it in, XP found it. She is happyly browsing trough about 1200 photos.

Lit off the woodstove, scheduled to be in single digits F overnight and the next few nights.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #11653
Moderator Emeritus

After reviewing our finances over the weekend, I spent the morning on the phone canceling various services. I've already cut about $1,000/year and I still have to tackle the big one.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #11654
Recycles dryer sheets

Well... it is just after 1PM out here on the left coast. DW is shopping w/ Ex DIL and G/daughter for some ballet stuff, and I am fixin to take a nap!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #11655
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
.......I've already cut about $1,000/year and I still have to tackle the big one.
Better check with your lawyer. Sometimes it is cheaper to keep her.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #11656
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Better check with your lawyer. Sometimes it is cheaper to keep her.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #11657

DW and I went to pick up her new car this afternoon. We left the dealership the same as we arrived - with only one car. Seems we have a misunderstanding with regard to the meaning of "take delivery". To say DW was unhappy would be a big understatement.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #11658
Dryer sheet wannabe

Had one egg, one piece of toast, half a strip of bacon, and coffee. Picked up the last minor part I needed to finish replacing 4 MacPherson struts (a big job for a retired person). Invited some people to lunch tomorrow (unfortunately, they still work, so we have to go during cram-time). Getting ready to take a nap.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #11659

Wheee!

Have a full-price contract on FIL's house! The only contingencies are the appraisal and home inspection.

: dance:
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #11660
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wow, that was quick!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread