Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #12021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spent two hours in the emergency room at the hospital in screaming agony. Turns out I had an ear infection, just like a little kid. It started in the morning, and just got worse and worse all day. I did everthing I could think of, but nothing helped. Had a little blood coming out too, so they told me I had probably ruptured my eardrum slightly. Man, I'll never see a kid holding it's ear and screaming without wincing in empathy. I've broken bones that didn't hurt this bad. So, antibiotics, ibuprofin, and ear drops, and we'll see how it goes. Got a little ringing going on too.

Interestingly, there's a billboard out on the main highway into town that lists the wait time in the emergency room at the hospital. When we passed it on the way in it said 7 minutes. And that's about how long it took me to be seen by the triage nurse. The other hour and 53 minutes of waiting in intense pain obviously didn't happen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #12022

Yikes Harley! Hope you feel better soon! We have one of those Doc-in-a-box places where you can preregister and cut wait time. It works pretty well.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #12023
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, those work great when you're smart and don't wait until everything is closed. But I'm feeling better already. Hopefully will be back up to snuff before the music festival season starts next month.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #12024
Administrator

Well, but how often does one go to the emergency room? Not often, I'd guess. I dunno; it's been probably 20 years since I have needed to go to the ER, but then maybe I am unusually healthy/lucky.

Glad they were able to treat your ear, and that apparently the pain is lessened now, Harley. That sounds awful!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #12025
Give me a forum ...

Plotting a fall off-season vacation trip. My first since ERing.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #12026
Full time employment: Posting here.

So far I've played Castleville for way too long (a zynga.com game), opened the mail that came while I was away for a few days, contemplated paying bills, noted at least two more mailings regarding Medicare which starts June 1, and not much more

I do need to check the bills though...

But YESTERDAY - I bought patio furniture at Costco. YAY! S.O. thinks it's a waste of money so I am paying for that, and lawn sprinklers, and some landscaping. I hurt my arm when I lost a finger a couple of years ago and any heavy work hurts... so I am paying to have it done.

Don't catch a ring on something - I pulled my own finger off, along with a tendon (which is the main problem, soft tissue injury). Haven't been able to wear a ring since. This was 6 months after I retired.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #12027
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
So far I've played Castleville for way too long (a zynga.com game), opened the mail that came while I was away for a few days, contemplated paying bills, noted at least two more mailings regarding Medicare which starts June 1, and not much more

I do need to check the bills though...

But YESTERDAY - I bought patio furniture at Costco. YAY! S.O. thinks it's a waste of money so I am paying for that, and lawn sprinklers, and some landscaping. I hurt my arm when I lost a finger a couple of years ago and any heavy work hurts... so I am paying to have it done.

Don't catch a ring on something - I pulled my own finger off, along with a tendon (which is the main problem, soft tissue injury). Haven't been able to wear a ring since. This was 6 months after I retired.

Did that rock climbing Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale AZ, I was lucky to only have about half my dead weight hanging from my ring/finger. Took 20 years for the groove in my wedding band to disappear, I was lucky it was a soft gold band.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #12028

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Did that rock climbing Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale AZ, I was lucky to only have about half my dead weight hanging from my ring/finger. Took 20 years for the groove in my wedding band to disappear, I was lucky it was a soft gold band.
My whole weight was on it - a tendon pulled out of my arm still attached to the finger, which was severed. So quick, so easy.... Interesting to hear another story, thanks.

I was stepping down from a bench, near the pool, on a cruise...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #12029
Give me a forum ...

Plotting a strategy to get a decent hotel on Priceline. I booked an airport hotel for the incoming night, but once I got it (3 stars) the reviews stunk. So I'm looking for a better hotel for the night before flying. I've generally had good luck with Priceline, but they do seem to have some dogs that they pass of as "upscale".
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #12030

Watched a trout stream being stocked today. We rode into the back country in a pickup truck. Then we had to carry buckets of fish the last 50 yards or so and throw them into the stream. Just an event that we happened to stumble into. What a great experience!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2016.jpg (777.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #12031
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...

I finished planting all of my peppers and tomatoes indoors. Just for fun I threw in a few cucumber, pumpkin and watermelon seeds. I use clear plastic beer cups so I can see when they are root bound and need to be transplanted into a bigger container. My peas are up, inside my screened porch so the squirrels can't get at them.

I did 400 steps on my mini stepper with no problem. I measured my waist - minus 1/4" since January 1st. It's a start. My legs feel stronger with each session.

Mr B and I watched a little baseball on our MLB.tv subscription. We used credit card cashback rewards to pay for that. I put a bunch of animated movies in the Netflix Instant Queue for when I do my stepper exercise. Gotta keep it fun!

Mr B is in full throttle tax prep mode for last minute customers at his PT job, so I am going north to Sackett's Harbor tomorrow to help my buddy do some planting in his 40 foot greenhouse. He does the hard w*rk, I set the seeds in and mark the rows.
And drink his beer...
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #12032
Moderator Emeritus

I booked an hotel in Napa for our anniversary.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #12033

Went for a 45 minute walk. The weather was lovely today.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #12034

Picked up grass seed, fertilizer/weed killer for this year's 4 applications. I'll start by aerating and overseeding after the big rain tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #12035
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked out at the gym for a couple of hours, researched a trip to Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard this summer, and worked on a write-up of my Mom's genealogy.

Beautiful weather here in NYC, plus my NW hit an all-time high.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #12036
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, today I worked on a drinking fountain at our church's preschool. The drain didn't (roots in the darin line) and there was a pinhole leak on the pressure side of the shutoff valve.

I kind of like doing those things. Spreadsheets are fun TOO, but I like doing "real" things.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #12037

Tuesday, 4/9

Water fitness class;

Rode through the beautiful spring day in our little convertible, into the hills of the Amish country (ate lunch at "The Barn," near Wooster);

Continued reading Sandburg's A. Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. 4 (in Feb. 1865 the War Dept. is STILL getting ripped off on their supply contracts: eg., defective anchors that can't hold a ship);

Helped sister-in-law navigate Vanguard site for her new rollover IRA, showing her how to make her own exchanges (she recently left her FA who had given years of lackluster advice with few earnings).

Yup, another nice day!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #12038
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Watched a trout stream being stocked today. We rode into the back country in a pickup truck. Then we had to carry buckets of fish the last 50 yards or so and throw them into the stream. Just an event that we happened to stumble into. What a great experience!
That reminded me of a useful bit of advice.
When I was young, I learned to avoid trout streams during the first week of the season (after stocking).

Seems they fed the trout at the hatchery mainly on liver, and that's what they tasted like for at least several days after they went into the streams. This was in the Catskill mountains of New York, so it might not be common practice, but a word to the wise ...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #12039
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's early, so mostly just sat in bed and caught up on email

A few days ago though we released some baby turtles into the sea on the southern coast of Mexico. It is honestly one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had

2013 Sea Turtle MX-002-372.jpg2013 Sea Turtle MX-003-55.jpg2013 Sea Turtle MX-003-70.jpg
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #12040

Went out for lunch yesterday. Had seviche (fish marinated in lime) and anticucho (grilled beef heart). First time in the US for the anticucho.