what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took DW, niece, her husband and 2 kids, and MIL to breakfast. Cut the grass and played with my camera. I thought I had a great day until I read these 2 posts:

I've mounted my GoPro camera on the end of a 30' boom pole - now I am just hoping a pod of orcas swims by so I can get some underwater video of them. I am hoping the camera will also pick up their underwater vocalizations but I have my doubts... I think I might need a dedicated hydrophone to pick up whale sounds.

Just going to hang out on the beach today, reading, listening to music, partaking in the occasional adult beverage while I wait for some whales.

Re-arranged the 8' fluorescent fixtures in the garage to allow me to store two kayaks near the ceiling in the winter. Pure decadence for one guy to have two 18' kayaks. Though the old wooden one will eventually become ceiling art at the mancave.

Slept in 'til 9:30, gym, made a big salad. A head of lettuce, bunch of celery, chopped, package of radishes, sliced, package of shredded carrots, one cucumber peeled and sliced thinly, two green bell peppers, one red bell pepper, and in a separate bowl (DW hates these last two items) three purple onions and three jalapeno peppers both sliced and chopped. Takes about an hour and fills a giant-size Tupperware bowl. This will last about 5 or 6 days for one or two meals a day.

When it's time, I chop up one (if it's small) or one-half of a grilled chicken breast and add the onions/peppers, a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and some dried Arbol peppers, chopped.

Went to the local cinema this afternoon with DW.

After the trailers, the lights went down, the main feature began, and the man in the seat in from of us took out his iPhone, turned on the flashlight, and began reading the book he brought along! He ignored the polite requests from nearby moviegoers and only turned off the light when his companion touched his arm and whispered something in his ear. Reading a book at the movies ... a first for us.

Went to the local cinema this afternoon with DW.

After the trailers, the lights went down, the main feature began, and the man in the seat in from of us took out his iPhone, turned on the flashlight, and began reading the book he brought along! He ignored the polite requests from nearby moviegoers and only turned off the light when his companion touched his arm and whispered something in his ear. Reading a book at the movies ... a first for us.

That guy sounds like a Real Great Date.

Wow, nobody did anything yesterday :confused: It's a rare day with no posts in this thread, that's for sure.

Started off with a 7am endodontist appointment to finish off the root canal that's been in progress since June. Two hours in the dental chair is not my idea of fun. And to top it off, now that the anesthetic has worn off, the tooth is still sensitive to lateral pressure as it as been since the original treatment. If it doesn't settle down in a few weeks, it's off to the oral surgeon. :nonono:

Stopped for a Jamba Juice smoothie as a breakfast treat on the way home. Caught up with FB and e-mail and took a phone call for one of my volunteer gigs. The caller said it sounded like I needed a nap so I took his advice and slept for a couple of hours. At least I felt human after that.

After lunch, went to the grocery store. Got the mail (80% junk) and settled down here for my afternoon board fix. Now I'm going to watch a show on scrapbooking techniques - I'm going to an all day convention with classes on Friday so this will get me warmed up!

Went to Ikea to purchase a high kitchen table, then assembled it. Did a few repairs around the kitchen as we decided how much to do for a light remodeling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'll tell you bout yesterday. About 2 in afternoon a high pitched shrill noise penetrates the home. Sounds like a smoke alarm, no after pulling them down its not that. Well maybe it's the burgler alarm. Strange codes on panel?

Noise isn't coming from right place in room. By this time I'm up in the attic, looking for any electronic device.

DW called monitoring company, great service. Their codes are normal. She's going to have me do a hard reset with battery removed. Of course the key is not in the panel box, no access.

I go back to where the noise is coming from, absolutely deafing, painful. The gal from the monitoring sevice suggested 'sounds like an alarm'. I looked down to see a portable CO detector, no display lit but it's the source of the sound.

Then the fun of attempting to get it shut off, after an overnight bath, last I knew it was wrapped up in rags in a trash container shrieking away. Hope the trash guys don't hear it, and remove it. Next step will involve a .45.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Mowed lawn, picked up more tool organizers and installed in garage, played pickleball, went for drive in miata with DW. Tomorrow its a bike ride and time out at the lake at a friends house. Life is good!
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

Hopefully in a couple of months I can wear them without blowing a gasket. :LOL:

A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

You WILL get there! I have a hard time keeping my jeans on (no wise comments, please)!

Up at 6:30 AM, eat some breakfast, photograph a dragonfly that's resting by the tomato plants. Then off to buy paint for a drywall repair that's in progress. After getting home it's off for an hour long bike ride followed by lunch. Then an hour or so spreading drywall mud. An hour or so reading about the race to develop the atomic bomb during WWII, an hour of harpsichord practice, 30 minutes on the flute. Off to fetch our free pizza from domino's thanks to the no-hitter the other night but I have to stop and take some pictures of the praying mantis by the front door. A quick shower to clean off sweat and drywall mud. Dinner with DW, then off to the first choir rehearsal of the year.

Oh, and time here and there during the day to check something called Early Retirement.:greetings10:

I bow to you (at least I would if my jeans were a little looser).

Paid a friend of a a friend to dig trench for compost.

I took a 45 minute walk this a.m. while it was still somewhat cool. At noon I met up with a half a dozen former co-workers for lunch (where they all told me how well-rested and relaxed I looked; well, I am just that!). In the afternoon I visited the HR department of my old agency with paperwork they needed to sign from the investment company I am departing certifying that I was indeed retired and could rollover my 457b plan to a tIRA at lower-cost Vanguard. I delivered that paperwork right to the main post office.

Joined our local pickleball club last week. After playing today I was asked if I'd be willing to be the club secretary next year. Seeing how I'm still working I said yes. I can easily fit the duties in during work hours.

Now if I were retired I might have said heck no, that's too much like work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom