what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Sea Kayaker for so quickly discovering what makes ER so wonderful. And you've just begun!

Yesterday, Sunday, found me at the market for some overlooked supplies. What a shock to the system to be in a retail store with the weekend masses. Am now thoroughly accustomed to my quiet ER, midweek shopping jaunts.

Anyhow, today, Monday, we will be hitting the trail at a nearby canyon area for our weekly conditioning hike. Goal is to do 12 miles, but in that we're still getting back up to speed after two weeks of international (i.e. sedentary) travel, I think 10 is probably more realistic. Really looking forward to having the hiking trail to ourselves given this is the start of the workweek for most folk.

After that the plan is to do some light planting in the front yard, then work on a baby needlepoint project for the remainder of the day.

what did you do today?

Hopefully my last day of drywall sanding and I can prime and paint the kitchen by the end of the week. Taking my time, a few hours a day. Then it's time to get in the camper and disappear for a month or so, while the paint drys...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

...assuming DW can choose a paint color by then.

Several hours of kayaking on the lake. No wind, 70 F, a few clouds, water was like a mirror, reflecting all the various fall colors. And no one else on the lake.

Saw a group of humpback whales this morning - orcas, greys, and minke whales are fairly common sights... I had heard of humpback sightings in these waters but this was a first for me. An amazing sight, a much bigger sea mammal than I am accustomed to. If I had still been working, I wouldn't have seen this. Another argument in favour of ER! Tried to get some pictures, but iPhone camera just wasn't up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Took a 25 mile bike ride, and cleaned my workshop after finishing a basement photo darkroom with my niece.

Not quite retired yet, but today I'm pretending I am. 10 years ago today, I started a great relationship with Ginny. She's a beautiful firefighter edition Harley Davidson Roadking. Brand new off the show room floor back then, she's given me about 40,000 miles of fun and still lookin good. She hasn't given me too much trouble, never left me stranded, and as long as I buy here some bling every once in a while, she seems happy. Today I am taking her for a putt along the same route as the first one we had together. About 90 miles of pretty back roads with a few rolling hills, sweepers, and a few twisties...

Not quite retired yet, but today I'm pretending I am. 10 years ago today, I started a great relationship with Ginny. She's a beautiful firefighter edition Harley Davidson Roadking. Brand new off the show room floor back then, she's given me about 40,000 miles of fun and still lookin good. She hasn't given me too much trouble, never left me stranded, and as long as I buy here some bling every once in a while, she seems happy. Today I am taking her for a putt along the same route as the first one we had together. About 90 miles of pretty back roads with a few rolling hills, sweepers, and a few twisties...

How about showing Ginny off with a roadside photo of her for us?;)

DH & I donated blood yesterday. We go fairly routinely, it's one small way we try to earn our keep in the world.

Then we went to Sports Basement and made very good use of one of the coveted 20% off entire purchase coupons we received for donating. DH got a new cycling vest, which was on sale even before the discount was added, and I bought some shoes I had been eyeing.

Then we treated ourselves to a nice lunch. Gotta keeps up our strength, dontchaknow. :dance:

Last edited:
Commuted to w*rk . . . our 'new' morning commute since ER'ing that is. ;)

Attachments

• Commute.jpg
    Commute.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 32
Here ya go Aja!

There she is, in front of the same place that was my first stop 10 years ago! Seeing as you aren't far away, if you are in the Austin area and have time, check out Leon's in Rockne, Tx. One of the best of the old school bar/country stores left in Texas. Just east of FM 20 on FM 535...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 38
There she is, in front of the same place that was my first stop 10 years ago! Seeing as you aren't far away, if you are in the Austin area and have time, check out Leon's in Rockne, Tx. One of the best of the old school bar/country stores left in Texas. Just east of FM 20 on FM 535...

Nice bike! Heck of a road machine, I bet!

Next time I'm in the area, I'll heck out Leon's. ;)

Have been super busy the past few days and haven't caught up here yet, but just had to post that today is the 4th anniversary of my last day at w*rk! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Hard to believe it. But it was certainly the right decision at the right time (although looking back, I wish I had pulled the plug several months earlier). Yippee!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Now off to some meetings for a volunteer gig.

Bought tickets to the upcoming Ian Anderson concert. A last minute decision, the concert is this Friday! It was $10 extra per ticket for 'fees' (groaaan), but the fee money apparently went to the performing arts center instead of the much reviled TicketMaster. So, I bought tickets AND made a $20 donation to the performing arts center (not to mention a $15 donation to the state of NC in the form of sales tax).

... a "hand bicycle" (for lack of a better term)...

It's an upper-body ergometer, or UBE (pronounced "you-bee") for short. DH used one for several years for cardio after his legs got to the point he couldn't do a recumbent bike anymore (MS). Now he can't even do the UBE unfortunately.

Last edited:
What did I do today?

1.) added up my September spending and completed my monthly spending/financial spreadsheet analysis
2.) Set up a new, better spreadsheet for recording and graphing progress in exercise and weight loss
3.) Washed and dried my (now long) hair and put it up in a new, different way compared with how I usually wear it, to keep it out of my eyes at the gym
4.) Went to the gym with F and lifted weights, 2 sets of 10 on each of 21 weight lifting machines.
5.) Went out to a pleasant lunch with F, and ordered a salad. :dance:
6.) listened to a non-political podcast
7.) played video games
8.) Oversaw my lawn guy and his helper on and off for over two hours while they completely removed my HUGE jasmine vine on the fence (see below). The photos only show about 1/3 of it since not all the fence is shown. It looked and smelled heavenly, but I am allergic or sensitive to the pollen. Plus, it grew like crazy and just keeping it cut back was exhausting. My eventual goal is a lower maintenance yard, and I am getting there, slowly but surely.
9.) laundry and dishes
10.) the usual mod duties on the forum :police:

Who says retirees have nothing to do? And tomorrow I get to do it all over again. :D

Attachments

• Jasmine.jpg
    Jasmine.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 13
  • VineGone.jpg
    VineGone.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
We just each had a 2-lb Maine lobster for dinner. The last time we did that was what, 2 weeks ago in Halifax.

Man oh man, I think I have enough lobster to last a year.

We spent the afternoon at the Oakland Zoo. It is a nice little zoo. They seem to try really hard to have natural habitats and enrichment activities for all the animals. Many of the "bios " on the cages noted the animals were formerly abused performers in circuses and other private attractions, so it good to see them getting second chances at a life with better care and more TLC.

Here is a meerkat group from today's zoo visit:

Attachments

• meerkats.jpg
    meerkats.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Bought tickets to the upcoming Ian Anderson concert. A last minute decision, the concert is this Friday! It was $10 extra per ticket for 'fees' (groaaan), but the fee money apparently went to the performing arts center instead of the much reviled TicketMaster. So, I bought tickets AND made a $20 donation to the performing arts center (not to mention a $15 donation to the state of NC in the form of sales tax).

What?!? Ian Anderson is still alive?? :facepalm:

Thought he would at least be retired by now! ;) Bouree baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom