what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really gorgeous, Walt.

For me, I had a first today. First time I've seen someone on the street wearing a Google Glass.

It looked far more dorky than I expected it would.

Oooh!!! I've never seen anybody wearing a Google Glass. Looking really dorky has a certain appeal to those of us who already are partway there, :duh: though I doubt if it would be fun enough to justify the price. :D

Drove an hour south to Costco, and came back with just the essentials: new set of tires (best price-beat my mechanic and the local tire place price by 300 dollars) bottle of Korbel brandy (for hot toddies-tis the season) lamb loin chops, coffee and a hunk of Manchego cheese. Oh, and a 24 pack of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Like I said, just the essentials-what more do you need:confused:?;)

Oooh!!! I've never seen anybody wearing a Google Glass. Looking really dorky has a certain appeal to those of us who already are partway there, :duh: though I doubt if it would be fun enough to justify the price. :D

No, trust me; it was not attractive.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 209
Nice work Walt!

I was doing something similar today. Built my easel out of African Mahogany. And put one of my canvas shots on it. I had Canvas on Demand do the canvas of a railroad shot I took last summer.

15660800998_e86827ab36_k.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on a two week vacation in Aruba. Today was a nice, lazy day hanging out on the beach at the resort, climbing up Hooiberg, a~550 foot "mountain" that affords great views, and snorkeling just off the coast. Oh, and drinking! :D

Nicely done easel. Are you going to keep it on display somewhere?

Thanks - yes I'm putting it in my "studio" room. A few years ago, I finished off a section of basement and intended to fill it with a model railroad. I lost interest in that and the space sat vacant. Recently I dragged out my old train set and put together a small layout taking up about 1/3 of the room. The rest of the space is housing my photography stuff and a few maps. I needed more stuff on the walls - So I took a few of my old train shots and had canvases made. DW came up with the easel idea for one of the canvases.

what did you do today?

seraphim,

I'm thinking of getting a truck camper. Do you consider it comfortable for a single guy for an extended period of time, say two or three months? I'm living in an old motor home this year while I build my house and am quite comfortable, but it is about 35 feet long.

Hermit

Easily. DW and I have been out for +3 months at a time with no friction. We spend half the year in it, traveling. Used to have a '95 Class B. Still would have, were it just me. But in a truck camper, I could manage full time. And fully enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
what did you do today?

Spent yesterday running #10 wire from the roof of the RV to a location inside where I'll mount the charge controller for my solar array.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779737.288658.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779762.250835.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779799.162846.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416779825.856761.jpg

Last edited:
Quite warm here today so I took a long walk. At present am simmering some osso bucco on the stove. I haven't seen the right type of veal for this dish in many months so I pounced on it at the grocery store today. Everyone else was hauling out their turkeys. I might yet purchase a small fresh free-range turkey but it won't be until later in the week. I plan a sleep-in on T-giving Day and a movie (probably first showing of Gone Girl).

I needed more stuff on the walls - So I took a few of my old train shots and had canvases made. DW came up with the easel idea for one of the canvases.

That's good - it'd be a shame to put that in a closet somewhere.

DW wanted another farm photo framed and put in the family room. It's an 8x10 in an 11x14 frame for a smaller area between a sliding door and a window. But this way the two main pieces of artwork match in color tone. This makes DW happy.

The first one is a 13x19 photo in an 18x24 frame over the couch. I shot both a few years ago from FIL's back yard when he was still living in his house.

These didn't take any insight or talent. The lighting was so perfect that it was one of those moments that just screamed "Take a picture, dummy!"

Attachments

• Farm_photo-2.jpg
    Farm_photo-2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Farm_photo-1.jpg
    Farm_photo-1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 26
Spent yesterday running #10 wire from the roof of the RV to a location inside where I'll mount the charge controller for my solar array..............

I notice that we have the same refrigerator vent. I can testify that a mouse, in fact a whole family of mice, can fit through the grid mesh.

I notice that we have the same refrigerator vent. I can testify that a mouse, in fact a whole family of mice, can fit through the grid mesh.

Just what I wanted to hear lol...

Just what I wanted to hear lol...

I cut a section of 1/4" mesh hardware cloth the same size as the door and stick it on the hole while it is stored, temporarily replacing the door. It is under a cover, so no water gets in.

That's good - it'd be a shame to put that in a closet somewhere.

DW wanted another farm photo framed and put in the family room. It's an 8x10 in an 11x14 frame for a smaller area between a sliding door and a window. But this way the two main pieces of artwork match in color tone. This makes DW happy.

The first one is a 13x19 photo in an 18x24 frame over the couch. I shot both a few years ago from FIL's back yard when he was still living in his house.

These didn't take any insight or talent. The lighting was so perfect that it was one of those moments that just screamed "Take a picture, dummy!"

Nice looking frames/photos, Walt! I like the farm scenes, and your railroad roundhouse shot. I need to find a roundhouse around here. The only one I've found is a brewpub - and that's not bad either.

Yesterday it was nearly 70 degrees so scrapped our other plans and decided to spend some time on the river. Paddled for about an hour on the South Branch of the Potomac. That's DW coming up river with the Hanging Rocks in the background. The river in front of our property is very slow moving so reasonably easy to go upstream for a while, then float back down. There was a strong wind today so made the upstream portion a bit harder.

We saw a couple of bald Eagles, some small hawks and a number of Pileated Woodpeckers as well. The Bald Eagles appear to have a next up on top of the rocks. They are common in this area. Tried to get a picture of the eagles but too far away to get one where you could tell what they were.

img_1522096_0_a4ec3b880290ddf5251765059ddb029c.jpg

It was also the first day of hunting season here, heard shots all day and a lot of hunters in the woods and in town.

Also picked up a building permit so we can start a new house for my wife's sister/husband/father who are living in our guest cabin until its done. I'm going to act as the general contractor and do some of the work, hope to be complete by early spring but weather will be a big factor. Will break ground next week if it goes as planned. Busy day!

Last edited:
Got up late, around 8:30, still went to the Y for an hour of workout, then breakfest at the greasy spoon. Came home checked email as usual. I must be slipping, no admonishments from any moderators of any forums. Deleted without reading about a dozen computer generated birthday greetings. I am sure they were just ever so lovely, touching and personal.

I'm not RE yet, but since I'm using vacation time all this week it is sort of a dress rehearsal for what's to come next year. I think I will like it.

This morning I ran some errands. It was nice to have relatively empty stores. After lunch I ran the lawn mower over the front lawn to mulch up the leaves that were there. The mowing was a "win" all the way around: The leaves got shredded up before getting snowed on tomorrow, and will put nutrients back into the soil. I burned some calories and got the blood flowing in my legs on a non-running rest day. And since DH did not have to do that chore, he saved some steps on his arthritic hip (which hopefully will lessen the pain tonight).

Another great 90 minute cardio session at the gym. Probably in the best shape I've been for about 10 years. Leaving for Baja in a couple of days. Debating whether or not to pack my leopard skin speedo. Probably not... haven't had the pleasure of seeing a Mexican jail from the inside, best keep it that way. ;)

1. Set up my DW's 403b rollover to Vanguard
2. Went grocery shopping with her (planked salmon tonight)
3. Cleaned two S&W 38's and a Heritage 22cal Rough Rider
4. Watched coverage of the Ferguson crap (#3 and #4 NOT related)

I remembered to log on...:greetings10:

I've been super busy the past few weeks getting the pre-winter prep stuff done. Mr B and I had visitors for 10 days, friends who are enroute to Denver for the birth of a first grandchild. It was fun but odd for me to host guests for that long. I'm used to having my daily schedule all to myself. The guy dug holes for 2 peach trees and 3 seedless Concord grapes that I ordered this fall. Everyone pitched in and helped cook. I reserved filling the dishwasher to myself to keep items out that I wash by hand and make sure nothing too large was put in. Collision avoidance with the rotating internal sprayer arm was achieved. Mr B did the emptying. :D

I've spent the last 4 days on eBay, bidding on and buying beanie babies to give away for the holidays. The older ones go for very cheap and are much more well made than anything I could possibly find in local stores. I focused on buying teddy bears and woodsland animals. I scored several lots of multiple BBs, some with free shipping. So far, I have 138 BBs on their way to my house. :LOL:

I ran across a real live Santa at the local VFW who visits nursing homes and veterans posts, playing the role to the max. What a character. He told dirty jokes non-stop for 2 hours. Bad Santa is very grateful to get whatever I am willing to give him as gifts to distribute to bring a smile to faces, both young and old. I'm saving a few for my VFW buddies with grandchildren. Or so they claim to. ;)

I'll keep a few BBs in reserve for last minute cheering up duty. :)

Last edited:
Easily. DW and I have been out for +3 months at a time with no friction. We spend half the year in it, traveling. Used to have a '95 Class B. Still would have, were it just me. But in a truck camper, I could manage full time. And fully enjoy it.

Thanks seraphim. After my house is done, I'll be looking into this in more detail.

Spent the day installing solar panels on the truck camper, and hooking up the wiring. By the time I was finished, it was dark, so I don't know if the "0 volts 0 amps " reading is because it's pitch black outside, or I screwed up wiring...

...guess I'll know in the morning.

Woke up about 5:30 am (cursed from previous career). Dog woke up about 6 am and cannot be denied her early morning potty run outside. Coffee and paper and before we knew it, it was about 9 am. Took the dog out for her morning exercise run - gun dog can't be denied her morning hunt. Wind chill was 15F, but DW and I jogged the run to keep us warm and it's always fun to watch the dog run leash free and hunt along the trail. Dog didn't find any rabbits today but that didn't damp her enthusiasm. Quick trip to COSTCO and Whole Foods (couldn't believe how crowded it was - doesn't anybody work anymore?) and then left to pick up my Mom at my sister's house, about 90 minutes from my own home. Mom is spending Thanksgiving with us. Got home from snatching Mom about 4 pm. DW cooked a great dinner, and three glasses of wine and NCIS, followed by NCIS New Orleans later, I'm signing on here to see what's up for the day. I couldn't believe how many people were out and about today, again, don't they have real jobs? Anyway, great day, time for late night reading with DW. ;)

Oh the weather outside is frightful....:cool:

So far we have about 4 inches of snow and it's still falling, a nice light sparkly snow at a steady rate. Perfect weather for building a blazing fire.

My first shipment of Beanie Babies arrived.

I'm having fun posing them in...shall we say...unusual positions to use for naughty xmas emails to good friends.

My friends know I'm a bit out there and have an unusual imagination.

Attachments

• FireNov2014.jpg
    FireNov2014.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom