what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first shipment of Beanie Babies arrived.

I'm having fun posing them in...shall we say...unusual positions to use for naughty xmas emails to good friends.

My friends know I'm a bit out there and have an unusual imagination.

I think you attached the wrong picture😉

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just resting a bit now before going out to the kitchen to make paella to bring to my brother's Thanksgiving lunch. We do not host this big family meal this year, but will do the Christmas one, or the New Year.

I just pulled the aluminum foil off Mr Turkey for the last hour of cooking. The meat stays so much moister and cooks more evenly when the entire turkey is fully covered during the first 2 hours of cooking.

Stuffing is in the convection oven and potatoes are getting peeled as I type. Yes, I made a timetable list and set/reset my little dual timer for when dish prep and put in oven times need to be known.

System process control at its best. :D

This is what happens when you let an engineer loose in the kitchen. :LOL:

I am STARVING but have at least 1 more hour until sit down time. GROAN!!!!

System process control at its best. :D

This is what happens when you let an engineer loose in the kitchen. :LOL:

I am STARVING but have at least 1 more hour until sit down time. GROAN!!!!

Ya but......how good is the system process control if the engineer's stomach is rumbling for an hour?

:LOL:

Getting ready to grill Thanksgiving burgers. Luckily we're in Florida where the weather is perfect. Also lucky Walmart was open, because we didn't have anything defrosted.

The turkey and all the other traditional dishes are sitting in the fridge. I started preheating the oven at 2:00. At 3:30 it had gotten up to 225 degrees. Tomorrow I'm off to the parts store. Hopefully a new bottom element will fix the problem.

Ate way too much...

...tummy hurts...

...is there any of that pie left?

1. Stayed out of the way,
2. Said "Yes Dear" after every command,
3. Went and got two bags of ice,
4. Said "Yes Dear" on glaring looks,
5. Fetched chairs on command.
6. Helped clean up, walked dog, took out trash, got out of the way.
7. Watched football.;)

Went out to troubleshoot a solar setup I installed on the camper, and after running through the checklist with no success, I tried something simple: switched the positive and negative leads at the charge controller.

Yep.

When I marked the positive cable before feeding it down into the camper, I must have marked the negative cable by accident.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

Went out to troubleshoot a solar setup I installed on the camper, and after running through the checklist with no success, I tried something simple: switched the positive and negative leads at the charge controller.

Yep.

When I marked the positive cable before feeding it down into the camper, I must have marked the negative cable by accident.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

When I accidentally reverse the polarity on electronic devices, I always seem to let the smoke out. :blush:

Yep.

OK. You can all laugh.

Once...

As much as I like to rag on engineers, this was a good save. Your turn to thank them for the charge controller designs. A buck ninty five blocking diode.

It gets better: you know the fuse which had I installed on the 'positive' cable...

...do fuses actually work if they're really installed on the negative cable?

Winter is here for sure, saw coyote tracks on the deck in back and DW saw one yesterday morning.

Overnight low was 10F and lake has frozen over with a thin layer of ice but I see some small animal tracks out on the ice. We had a pretty sun dog at sunrise this morning.

Went to a friends wedding last night. Good time with lots of friends/DW former coworkers. Finished my playroom/bunker in the basement. Now preparing delayed Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow, because DW was under the weather most of the week. Then a nap before the Blackhawks game.

I just came back from a wedding reception of one of our nieces, and resting a bit before dressing up again to go to the dinner party.

I am glad I can still put on the suits my wife has laid out for me to wear. She wants me to wear different suits for the two occasions, as she does also. Might as well wear them every so often before the moths get to them, as they did one suit already.

As much as I like to rag on engineers, this was a good save. Your turn to thank them for the charge controller designs. A buck ninty five blocking diode.
Solar charge controllers usually have a blocking diode at the input, the purpose being to prevent the battery under charge from back-driving the solar panel when the latter is dark and not producing. And it saves our friend's wallet.

When I accidentally reverse the polarity on electronic devices, I always seem to let the smoke out. :blush:
Contained smoke is what makes electronics work. When you let the smoke out, they stop working. And once smoke escapes, there's no way to put it back. :(

Last edited:
Contained smoke is what makes electronics work. When you let the smoke out, they stop working. And once smoke escapes, there's no way to put it back. :(
That problem has been solved.

Attachments

• Smokekit2.jpg
    Smokekit2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 181
I got my property tax bill today and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it hasn't increased a cent, for the third year in a row.

Gas has been pretty amazing lately, too, having gone down another ten cents since I last bought gas back on the 11th.

Wish I could say the same about my car insurance, or groceries, but I'll give it time. Meanwhile, this is great.

Other than looking at my mail and paying my bills, I went out to lunch with Frank and we spent the afternoon together as we usually do. Traffic is still insane out there, I suppose due to the holiday weekend and the spectacular, sunny, bright weather in the low 70's. This is shorts weather for me but probably won't last.

Last edited:
I'm playing with my plants and listening to tunes while Mr B does Legion Treasurer duty. He's filling in for the regular guy who is very ill. He is focusing on automating a lot of the bill paying and paycheck operations, so the Steward's job (and now his) is much easier.
Never let an accountant loose on an inefficient financial process. :LOL:

I'll do some more dance-ercise in the living room when done with my little green friends. Then I'll get lost for the afternoon so Mr B can study for his upcoming IRS tax representative tests. The man never stops...amazing !
Getting these certifications keeps his mind sharp and translates into less hassle for him during tax season.

Maybe going to watch some football at the VFW is a good time killer for me this afternoon. No lake effect snow is forecast, so it is safe to drive north.

I just got call from a stranger, from an out of town zip code but one where close friends and a niece live, asking is this (my first name)? I said yes and she said she was sorry to inform me that she had some very bad news....

My heart started pounding because I thought I was going to be told either one of my friends or niece were critically injured or dead, but it turned out the caller had the wrong number (but my first name right!).

I don't know what I am going to do the rest of the day, since it is kind of rainy and gloomy here, but I think after that call the rest of the day will be on the upswing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom