what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the kitchen ready for new granite counters. Twenty years ago I installed plywood / cement board counters covered with ceramic tile. Now I have to undo my overly robust construction while trying to keep the kitchen usable until the last minute.

Probably shoulda just paid to have the entire job done, but I'm too cheap and picky.

We cleaned the house and put up all the Christmas decor. I love all the memories from the various tree ornaments. Some are 20+ years old.

DW and I are in the Baja for 3 weeks... it is my first post-ER vacation (though really, each day since I last walked off the job site has felt like a holiday).

We start each day with a 5km to 8km run, before it starts to get too hot... have a light breakfast. Get on the web, check stocks, news from home, etc (saw that Vancouver received a dusting of snow, hehehe). We head to either poolside or beachside at around 11:30am, good books and good iPod music in hand. Today we went to the beach, sat under a vacant palapa, and spent an equal amount of time relaxing, reading, listening to music, or just gazing out at the Sea of Cortez. Saw a couple of large Mobula Rays jump clear out of the water a couple hundred meters off the beach. It is now just after 3pm local time, having a couple of cervezas poolside, DW is studying her Spanish textbooks listening to idle chatter from the Amercians, Canadians, and Mexicans who are our friends. Life has probably never been better for me. I have always enjoyed our trips to Baja... but what makes this one stand out is that I am not thinking about my return to my job... because there is no job to return to.:cool:

Gym day. Increased three of the weight machines five pounds for the first set, back to normal on the second set or I can't finish. B&H set a catalog and I drooled on the photos of cameras and lenses.

Spaghetti for lunch/dinner.

Tomorrow is take DW out someplace nice for dinner for her birthday.

Spent the day at a local amusement park with one of the oldest wooden roller coaster in the US. Not something I would have chosen but extended/step family was in from South Dakota and their son is close in age to my boys. I got to spend the afternoon catching up with the parents, my step mom, and other extended family while the kids ran from ride to ride.

Now I have to get the energy to finish my Italian homework before class tomorrow.

It was a rainy day here and I spent it reading in front the fireplace. It was nice. After a hearty dinner, I plan to cap the evening with a glass of Lagavulin 16-year old.

I just got call from a stranger, from an out of town zip code but one where close friends and a niece live, asking is this (my first name)? I said yes and she said she was sorry to inform me that she had some very bad news.......

How did you know the zip code of the incoming call? Or did you mean area code?

Goofed around in the morning surfing the web and having my morning coffee with the Sunday morning talk shows on in the background. Put up more OSB on the walls in the garage in the afternoon and then watched the Patriots/Packers game which was a good game even though my Patriots lost.

ROAD TRIP! :LOL:

I'll be heading to Pulaski, NY today for my annual cheese buying run. I buy locally made XXX sharp cheddar cheese and cheese curd to give as holiday gifts and also to bring to the VFW for the afternoon crowd.
It disappears quickly!
Colosse Cheese

We are supposed to get freezing rain/sleet/snow later on today, so I will hot foot it up there around noon and be back in plenty of time before the weather mess starts. :(

Paid bills lol...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had fun yesterday closing up November on my spreadsheets. I balance what is in my wallet with what should be there, and balance my bank account, and make sure that when I add up my total spent for the month, it exactly agrees with how much money is gone. Then I figure out how I am doing thus far in the year, look at my categories of spending and which are up or down, and project my total spending for 2014.

Honestly, I love fiddling with numbers of any kind and I love spreadsheets, so playing with these numbers is my idea of fun. I keep 18 spreadsheets in my financial/retirement Excel workbook for various records and computations. When I play in the numbers like this, I make no value judgments related to whether I am spending too much or too little; this is just to find out how much I *DO* spend and where it is going.

So far, no big surprises but the absence of surprises is in itself a surprise. :D

Last edited:
ROAD TRIP! :LOL:

I'll be heading to Pulaski, NY today for my annual cheese buying run. I buy locally made XXX sharp cheddar cheese and cheese curd to give as holiday gifts and also to bring to the VFW for the afternoon crowd.
It disappears quickly!
Colosse Cheese

We are supposed to get freezing rain/sleet/snow later on today, so I will hot foot it up there around noon and be back in plenty of time before the weather mess starts. :(

I'm going to be in Cortland next week. Maybe I'll run up north a bit and pick up a few items also! Thanks for the link!;)

Thanks! I'm nervous but the misery was getting too strong, and the promised layoff package vanished, so here goes nothing. :)

Just happened to review my EE bond holdings and noticed that one quit accruing interest in November. MegaMotors used to twist our arms to make us buy bonds, so this one is from 1984. Paid $25 then and it is worth over $100 now. Extra Christmas jingle, less 25% taxes.

Interesting thread here.

For someone rapidly approaching ER, I have been concerned that maybe my post ER days will be too "slow". Without the structure of work, what am I going to do? I do have some plans, I want to remain productive to society. But I also am dreaming of slower mornings and coffees and reading and gym (oh yea without rushing thru exercising to get to work).

I was thinking that this "slow" pace is somehow not fair or not right or maybe just guilty. After all, all of us have worked hard, year after years and now to just take it "slow". But reading on here tells me that nice and slow can be ok and normal and sometimes it's the little things in ER life that can bring the most pleasure. The lack of stress, the lack of alarms, the lack of time demands, and then being able to listen to a news show or catch up with that next chapter of your book to see what happens to Jack Ryan. Sounds good to me. Can't wait.

Now what was the question:confused:?

Interesting thread here.

For someone rapidly approaching ER, I have been concerned that maybe my post ER days will be too "slow". Without the structure of work, what am I going to do? I do have some plans, I want to remain productive to society. But I also am dreaming of slower mornings and coffees and reading and gym (oh yea without rushing thru exercising to get to work).

I was thinking that this "slow" pace is somehow not fair or not right or maybe just guilty. After all, all of us have worked hard, year after years and now to just take it "slow". But reading on here tells me that nice and slow can be ok and normal and sometimes it's the little things in ER life that can bring the most pleasure. The lack of stress, the lack of alarms, the lack of time demands, and then being able to listen to a news show or catch up with that next chapter of your book to see what happens to Jack Ryan. Sounds good to me. Can't wait.

Now what was the question:confused:?
Interesting thought here. :)

What will I do all day has never once been a concern to me. When I worked, I did have the concern "what am I missing in life". Everything is perspective.

Yesterday I spent about 2 1/2 hours on the phone between our health care insurer and a lab. Seems a test DW had during the summer has been processed as "out of network" even though it's in the network. Both agree it's not our fault, despite the aggressive warning in the last invoice. Won't get fixed, though, unless I push and follow up.

It has given me a peek into the difference in pricing for in vs out of network for this service.

"ER days being too slow" "What am I going to do" When I retired 8 months ago, I had similar concerns. But my days are jam packed. Almost every day includes playing online, doing some hiking/biking, photography, woodworking in the afternoons, (yard work in the summer) watching bears/blackhawks/bulls at night. I thought I would have time to read, but I don't. I have several unread books and 9 months of National Geographic waiting for me when I find some time.

"ER days being too slow" "What am I going to do" When I retired 8 months ago, I had similar concerns. But my days are jam packed. Almost every day includes playing online, doing some hiking/biking, photography, woodworking in the afternoons, (yard work in the summer) watching bears/blackhawks/bulls at night. I thought I would have time to read, but I don't. I have several unread books and 9 months of National Geographic waiting for me when I find some time.

+1 Exactly!

Honestly, even though I had the same concerns before retiring, now that I have been retired for a while I doubt that anyone with a grain of initiative could ever find retirement to be boring or somehow unfulfilling. Retirement is like a Saturday (except not clogged up with chores left over from the work week, so you have time for fun). I have been busy and enjoying life every day during retirement, hence my sig line.

The first day or two I didn't know what to do exactly, but I knew I had to get out of the house. So, I went to the gym and then went shopping at a few stores just to move around. Maybe that would be a start? Those who had sedentary jobs like I did often find it pretty challenging to regain the physical fitness that they lost when working and I am still working on that. After working out, one can tackle the dreams of things that one always wanted to do, but never had time for.

Last edited:
Took DW out for Filet Mignon dinner for her birthday, delayed a few days because she was recovering from a bad cold and didn't want to go sooner. Kinda pricy, but she's worth it.:smitten:

Tomorrow is a gym day and I'll have all those calories worked off about the time I hit Oklahoma.

Joined the Y a couple of days ago (with DW), and went to our first old people's yoga class today. I think after I break off some of the rust I'll be able to go with the regular classes. But I've been so injured and sore this year we decided to start slow. Plus I have a tendency to over do, so this will limit my ability to injure myself. Swam a few laps too. Time to get back in some semblance of shape.

Up in the morning for coffee and newspaper and Internet news media, which has become about a 2-3 hour ritual. Spent about 90 minutes on our home gym weights while DW was off to her YMCA kettlebell class. After lunch I took the dog on a 4 mile run and for the evening DW and I went to see the visiting Broadway production "I Love Lucy" at our city's performing arts center. We loved the play, very funny and nostalgic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom