Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #12641
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
This is a serious multi-meal sandwich
Rustward, great muff! Don't forget to toast/warm the bun right before eating. Yum! I am envious.

Back when I not trying to lose weight, Frank and I used to order one sometimes at a restaurant here. He would eat 1/4, I would eat 1/4, and each of us would take another 1/4 home for another meal later on. You are right about the multi-meal aspects.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #12642
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with imoldernu about hydration. I too have read that dehydration is a particular problem as we get older.
I fainted last year while eating dinner with friends. Just stopped talking in the middle of a sentence. My friends are more into doctors' visits than I am and called an ambulance. $5000 out of pocket later I get a diagnosis of "fainted".
I drink tons of water now.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #12643
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lots going on in our household. We're 10 days from moving back to NV from TX. Gave 90% of our furniture to Salvation Army since it's just too much trouble to sell and our new house is much smaller than current. Moving is one of our last steps in prep for retirement.

On the surprise front DH lost his job yesterday with an IT megacorp. They're doing a 5% reduction across the board he drew short end of the stick. His severance was decent and he can apply for unemployment so he's not in a rush to find a job. He deserves some decompression time after the BS he put up with over the last year with a new manager.

So now he has time to get us moved and spend some time figuring out what's next...
Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #12644

Lisa - Sorry to hear about DH and the IT megacorp. That story is just too familiar to me - quite a few people from my former IT megacorp lost their jobs in similar across the board exercises, and I know that many of them were in no way the people I would have picked to go. The timing, though, sounds like it couldn't be much better. Good luck with the move and the job search.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #12645

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
I agree with imoldernu about hydration. I too have read that dehydration is a particular problem as we get older.
During the past two or three years I've noticed I don't have the sensation of being thirsty that I used to and have to make a conscious effort to drink enough fluids. Well, the non-alcoholic kind anyway.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #12646
Administrator

Lisa, so sorry to hear that your DH lost his job! Moving is so emotionally stressful to begin with; that has to be a double-whammy. At least he will have more time for moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
During the past two or three years I've noticed I don't have the sensation of being thirsty that I used to and have to make a conscious effort to drink enough fluids. Well, the non-alcoholic kind anyway.
I don't drink the alcoholic kind, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that beer dehydrates people. If it said that on the internet, it must be true, right?

I saw the doctor today and let the testing begin. Today's test was a CAT-scan of my brain, complete with IV contrast medium and all. I cheerfully signed a form confirming my acceptance of full financial responsibility for the contrast medium, if my insurance company (like many, so they say) will not pay for it. LBYM? What is that?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #12647

Alcohol is a diuretic and can lead to dehydration if one isn't paying attention.

And on the LBYM front, my experiment with trying to mix up my own deck-cleaning oxygen bleach fluid was a dismal failure. It did clean some but didn't have the effect that the store-bought and pricy deck-cleaning stuff does so I broke down and paid for it.

I should have paid more attention lectures in chemistry class than to the red-haired girl. Well, maybe not. One must have priorities.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #12648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's favorite anecdote, but there has been quite a lot of information out there lately showing that the old "eight glasses of water a day" (roughly two liters) is really in the category of urban myth.

The simple fact is that we get a great deal of the hydration we need from the water in our food. Most people get significantly more than the proverbial eight glasses simply through normal eating.

A 1995 survey in Australia found that on average women ingest about 2.8 liters a day, and men about 3.4 liters.

Even worse, some of the so-called "research" that seems to show the need to drink a lot of water was sponsored by the companies that sell bottled water.

The more reputable research shows that the proper approach is just to take a drink when you start to feel thirsty.

Incidentally, beer is roughly 95% water, so it counts!
Alcohol doesn't dehydrate you any more than coffee or tea.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #12649

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Rustward, great muff! Don't forget to toast/warm the bun right before eating. Yum! I am envious.

Back when I not trying to lose weight, Frank and I used to order one sometimes at a restaurant here. He would eat 1/4, I would eat 1/4, and each of us would take another 1/4 home for another meal later on. You are right about the multi-meal aspects.
Yes, we toast before eating. This does not save much money compared to going out, but there is a satisfaction element. I just wish I could get the Leidenheimer bread here. Jason's Deli does use Leidenheimer bread, and that is my first choice when going out for muff.

BTW: Hope you are feeling better.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #12650
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's favorite anecdote, but there has been quite a lot of information out there lately showing that the old "eight glasses of water a day" (roughly two liters) is really in the category of urban myth.

The simple fact is that we get a great deal of the hydration we need from the water in our food. Most people get significantly more than the proverbial eight glasses simply through normal eating.

A 1995 survey in Australia found that on average women ingest about 2.8 liters a day, and men about 3.4 liters.

Even worse, some of the so-called "research" that seems to show the need to drink a lot of water was sponsored by the companies that sell bottled water.

The more reputable research shows that the proper approach is just to take a drink when you start to feel thirsty.

Alcohol doesn't dehydrate you any more than coffee or tea.
I was going to bring this up too, but figured it would be better coming from someone with more credibility than me (pretty much everybody).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I should have paid more attention lectures in chemistry class than to the red-haired girl. Well, maybe not. One must have priorities.
Judging by the fact that a red headed girl costs a lot more than a couple of gallons of deck bleach should prove you had your priorities straight.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #12651

I'm a federal employee home for the 2nd day on furlough, not getting paid. I sat around all day watching tv, eating, surfing and doing nothing meaningful. Tomorrow....think I'll get a flu shot, a haircut, maybe catch a movie.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #12652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I'm a federal employee home for the 2nd day on furlough, not getting paid. I sat around all day watching tv, eating, surfing and doing nothing meaningful. Tomorrow....think I'll get a flu shot, a haircut, maybe catch a movie.
Think of it as training for retirement.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #12653
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I certainly hope that you and all the federal employees going through this will receive back pay when the situation is resolved.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #12654

Finished the garden trellis - just in time to store it for the winter

Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #12655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finished the garden trellis - just in time to store it for the winter
Very nice looking.
Is that one of those pyramids under which one can sleep and/or mediate?
Master Yuvaraj Sowma Official Website................
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #12656

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Very nice looking.
Is that one of those pyramids under which one can sleep and/or mediate?
Master Yuvaraj Sowma Official Website................
Wow - I need to build 3 more and move all of them into the bedroom - one at each corner. I'm sure DW will go for that
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #12657

We attended our first Rumba lesson tonight. My DD (24 yrs old) and her DH (26 yrs old) signed up this afternoon and were very insistent that we needed to do it with them. DD said she heard us saying we were going to take dance lessons for years and never did. I told her that I am trying to let my hair go grey and that I gained weight and I did not feel like trying to do sexy dance moves. She would not take no as an answer. I am so glad that she was insistent, as we had fun and I am now looking forward to the next class. If I had stayed home, I would have either watched TV or been in front of the computer, so at least I exercised a little. Hopefully, it will get me back to exercising more and laying off the junk food.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #12658

4 wheel.jpg

Some of what I did today....checked out my friend's deer lease in east Texas.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #12659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

A motto of mine for sure.

Nothing better for you than a nice cold med.

10 Surprising Health Benefits of Beer | Yahoo Health
Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #12660
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I helped our daughter finish painting her house. If it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, we'll hang gutter and install some trim. These two old folks are beat.