what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surgeon knocked me out cold with general anesthesia, so I did not know what he did. I simply woke up dazed, with my mouth full of gauze.

DW drove me home, where I spent the next 24 hours in bed, with my head on a bath towel to catch the bloody drool. Graphic enough for ya?

My wife and children were also sedated by general anesthesia for wisdom teeth removal, but they suffered much less pain and recovered a lot faster.

PS. The pain that persisted for a month or so afterwards changed the way I chewed, and contributed to my TMJ disorder. Soon after, when I ate, my jaw made funny click-clack sounds, loud enough that people at the dinner table looked at me and asked if I was OK.

Last edited:
I had my four wisdom teeth removed about 20 years ago, under local anesthesia on a Friday afternoon after much manipulation by my dentist. She gave me a prescription for Tylenol with codeine, which I picked up at the pharmacy on the way home (I drove). I took my first painkiller that evening and was able to stop taking them by Sunday. I blended a lot of smoothies and watched a lot of movies that weekend. I returned to work on Monday and did a 24 hour shift.

I don't know why I got off so lightly. I guess I had a strong work ethic at that time. I had originally planned to go back to work afterwards, but my dentist nixed that idea!

:facepalm:

My new 'hobby' in FIRE is to Google places in San Diego that look interesting to go check out.

I do this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - just cuz I'm still used to 'structure'.

Today I wanted to take the coastal streets from La Jolla to Bird Rock and stop along the way.

What a fantastic relaxing morning - no traffic, plenty of places to park, get out and just enjoy the beautiful clear cool weather and the ocean.

I snapped some shots along the way.
Neptune-Ave-1.jpg

Neptune-Ave-2.jpg

Neptune-Ave-3.jpg

Birdrock-1.jpg

Drove back past La Jolla Shores, UCSD, then back down thru Carmel Valley.

Today I attended a social event at someone's home. She is a very unassuming person. Her house was beautiful. Everything in it was just perfect. It exceeded my expectations. After returning chez moi I Googled real estate listings for the neighbourhood. It's a million dollar home, at least. It was salutary to realize that I will never, ever live in a home like that. And that's just fine with me.

Appreciate that prof12. That is the 3rd time since I have got back (in 11 months) from the States - nearly 6 years in Thailand, never had a problem. Bad thing is I have 11 bills on autopay that I am going to have to change. I have not been as lucky as you about getting charges waived. First hit was $2K, second hit was $1.8K and this looks like a $6K hit coming up. I guess I need to look into a credit card protection system when I get the new card tomorrow in the mail. Thank you again. Just got to keep chugging along and roll with the punches.

------------
My nephews (12 and 15) are coming down from ABQ on the train on Friday and want to go to the Monster Trucks this weekend - gulp. THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF MONSTER JAM - Event - El Paso, TX

I thought most credit cards limit you to a small amount for fraudulent charges. My card caught a charge of $1 on an Internet gambling site and informed me immediately, locked out the card and sent a new one, new number. My card company wouldn't let ME make a $1K purchase at a second hand shop until I called them and gave them all my credentials (passwords) and told them what I was buying and why I was there. The credit card companies have insurance against fraud, you don't. Check their policy. I think they should foot more of the bill. You may want to change card companies. It doesn't sound like your company has a good fraud alert system. I let the card company know when I'm traveling and call ahead for large purchases. I want them to lock me out if I don't do these steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I thought most credit cards limit you to a small amount for fraudulent charges. My card caught a charge of $1 on an Internet gambling site and informed me immediately, locked out the card and sent a new one, new number. My card company wouldn't let ME make a $1K purchase at a second hand shop until I called them and gave them all my credentials (passwords) and told them what I was buying and why I was there. The credit card companies have insurance against fraud, you don't. Check their policy. I think they should foot more of the bill. You may want to change card companies. It doesn't sound like your company has a good fraud alert system. I let the card company know when I'm traveling and call ahead for large purchases. I want them to lock me out if I don't do these steps.
We are liable for a maximum of $50 for fraudulent credit card charges for cards issued in the US. See here for details https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/news/cnspr13/protectplastic.html

My new 'hobby' in FIRE is to Google places in San Diego that look interesting to go check out.

I do this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - just cuz I'm still used to 'structure'.

Today I wanted to take the coastal streets from La Jolla to Bird Rock and stop along the way.

What a fantastic relaxing morning - no traffic, plenty of places to park, get out and just enjoy the beautiful clear cool weather and the ocean.

I snapped some shots along the way.
Neptune-Ave-1.jpg

Neptune-Ave-2.jpg

Neptune-Ave-3.jpg

Birdrock-1.jpg

Drove back past La Jolla Shores, UCSD, then back down thru Carmel Valley.

Thanks for posting photos. I think I'll take DH there on a day trip when he gets back from dealing with his dad's recent close encounters with the floor and ER. :-(

Will you PM me the best way to get there and where to park?

Workout in the morning then off to get car inspected. Emissions and safety. Unfortunately had to go to Ford dealer, as the state of PA requires tailpipe emission test. All the independents have got rid of their tailpipe testers, too expensive to maintain.

Passed with flying colors and 0.1 CO. Darn good for a 95, 145000 miles car.

Yes they did have free coffee and did not recommend any stuff to do for $$$ profits.

Signed a contract on a condo today. Less than ten miles from current house. DW and I agreed (yes, it's possible!) that it's just about perfect for us. Right price, fantastic ambiance, truly "lock and leave" compatible, and the condo association (very small, only 20 units) is both solvent and apparently without rancor. Very excited about moving into it.

Signed a contract on a condo today. Less than ten miles from current house. DW and I agreed (yes, it's possible!) that it's just about perfect for us. Right price, fantastic ambiance, truly "lock and leave" compatible, and the condo association (very small, only 20 units) is both solvent and apparently without rancor. Very excited about moving into it.

Congratulations on finding the perfect condo for the two of you!! It sounds terrific. :)

BBQ nut. Those are great pics. I love that area.

It was super low tide at LA Jolla shores this morning so my walk was extended up to Black's beach. Only nudist creatures I saw were some seals on the beach.

Technically, this was a couple of days ago. I spent 5 days on "my island" trying to get the majority of my garden prep done. This is a garden site that has been dormant for 5 years - the encroaching forest has been in the process of swallowing it up. Now that I am ER'ed, I am determined to become a gardener of some proficiency.:D Many hours were spent hacking and whacking the blackberries, honeysuckle, wild rose, and salal into submission. Not ready to plant quite yet, as it is still a bit cool and the ground too wet...but soon.

It wasn't all work though - the weather was picture perfect here on the B.C. coast, so I hauled the boat out of storage and got some amazing afternoon paddles in. Don't remember a finer early March weekend...it was glorious.

https://vimeo.com/121810187

I have a short reprieve before the next extraction session on the 17th. I'm able to eat some regular foods now. I've lost 4 pounds since March 5th so that's my silver lining. :LOL:

I've been researching partial dentures online. What an education ! I am going to go for the Valplast flexible partial. I can afford it. My dentist had hinted that there were all sorts of hi-tech options out there instead of the old fashioned uncomfortable acrylic or metal type partials. He knows I'm a techie at heart so he told me to go look at options before my next visit.

All in all I'm feeling optimistic about the whole process in spite of the cringe factor. :D

Technically, this was a couple of days ago. I spent 5 days on "my island" trying to get the majority of my garden prep done. This is a garden site that has been dormant for 5 years - the encroaching forest has been in the process of swallowing it up. Now that I am ER'ed, I am determined to become a gardener of some proficiency.:D Many hours were spent hacking and whacking the blackberries, honeysuckle, wild rose, and salal into submission. Not ready to plant quite yet, as it is still a bit cool and the ground too wet...but soon.

It wasn't all work though - the weather was picture perfect here on the B.C. coast, so I hauled the boat out of storage and got some amazing afternoon paddles in. Don't remember a finer early March weekend...it was glorious.

Thanks for the video. What were the air temps like?
A word about your garden. Don't know what type of garden you are looking to install but going with perennial native plants has it's advantages. The plants adapt easier, once they are established you don't have to water them and perennials come back every year. Watch out if you remove undergrowth, it may be what's holding the soil in place. You don't want soil erosion. If you like certain annuals you can place large planters around your garden for statement pieces. Large planters (got an old kayak, I've used partially rotted tree trunks for planters) don't dry out as fast as small ones. Hanging baskets are the worst for plants. The sun and wind dry them out too fast. Just because you're retired you don't want to be watering plants constantly.
edit: forgot to add, watch out for invasive plants. It can be pretty in a small clump but hard to control as it takes over.
2nd edit: I bought more stock today.....yay!

Last edited:
:dance::dance::dance:
Oh... Wow! Fifty five degrees. The first time since last November for the bike. Pumped up the tires, a fast oil spray, and everthing worked. Short ride, just to check and see how the muscles and balance worked after 5 months of getting older. It felt good.
Sunshine, no wind, and Spring is on its way.

What a great life. :LOL:

I biked too...77 degrees! Rode on a path I carved behind my house a month or so ago. But I found that it has one "impossible" turn, but its only impossible when riding in one direction.

62° here today. I (perhaps foolishly) moved the snow thrower from the garage to the shed. But I did NOT drain the fuel from it so just moving it isn't a jinx.

Thanks for the video. What were the air temps like?
A word about your garden. Don't know what type of garden you are looking to install but going with perennial native plants has it's advantages. The plants adapt easier, once they are established you don't have to water them and perennials come back every year. Watch out if you remove undergrowth, it may be what's holding the soil in place. You don't want soil erosion. If you like certain annuals you can place large planters around your garden for statement pieces. Large planters (got an old kayak, I've used partially rotted tree trunks for planters) don't dry out as fast as small ones. Hanging baskets are the worst for plants. The sun and wind dry them out too fast. Just because you're retired you don't want to be watering plants constantly.
edit: forgot to add, watch out for invasive plants. It can be pretty in a small clump but hard to control as it takes over.
2nd edit: I bought more stock today.....yay!

Thanks for the advice! Air temps on my paddling sojourn were mid teen's Celsius (59 F)...warm enough to wear just a long sleeved T-shirt. As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden, so I have been removing long wild grasses and various invasive plants from the long dormant existing veggie beds - trying to dig down to reach the blackberry bush roots was tough, tough work. The berries might be tasty, but when you need to remove it from an area, this plant is a major PITA - countless scrapes on my arms are evidence of this fact. :(

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine....without any invasive thoughts about having to catch the ferry back to the city on Sunday night for a return to work Monday morning. This is the summer I have been waiting most of my adult life for.

I am just a few days shy of the 6 month anniversary of my ER....it has exceeded all of my hopes and expectations thus far - and I'm just getting started. :dance:

....As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden, so I have been removing long wild grasses and various invasive plants from the long dormant existing veggie beds - trying to dig down to reach the blackberry bush roots was tough, tough work. The berries might be tasty, but when you need to remove it from an area, this plant is a major PITA - countless scrapes on my arms are evidence of this fact. :(

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine.... :dance:
I volunteer at a historic sight and we had to reduce the size of a raspberry patch so I can relate.
There is a lot of great information out there on veggie gardens. I think you said you are in British Columbia. Try the Master Gardeners web site for information. If you've never had a veggie garden, don't start too big-ends up as work and not fun, you can extend your growing season by making mini hoop houses over the rows of plants, raised beds (we just hill up the soil with hoes) also let you plant earlier in the season-they drain and warm up earlier. Use newspaper with grass cuttings or leaves on top to mulch around the plants, cuts down on weeding. The newspaper is biodegradable and the leaves are good for the soil. Sorry, I enjoy gardening and get carried away.

Yesterday took a drive out to Daley Ranch in the Escondido area where they have a bunch of hiking trails.

The trails are mostly open meadow, not really covered for any shade, but it was cloudy yesterday and a bit cooler, so it made the hiking enjoyable.

Was about a 5 mile hike around only a portion of the trails -so worth a visit back sometime.

I stopped by "Specialty Meats" just outside of the Daley Ranch area and went in to get a sandwich for lunch.

Out of pastrami
The corned beef was just made for St Patrick's day but not cooked yet
Settled on a pulled pork sandwich that was ok (I can do much better!)

Drove home to eat the sandwich and just piddle about the house for the rest of the afternoon before dinner.

Good day!

Just returned from the airport, dropped off DD + SiL and their kids. 8 days caring for the grandkids was a lot of fun but I'm glad it's over. For a few weeks, anyway.

... As for the garden, it is going to be a vegetable garden...

I cannot wait for my first summer of ER - my days are going to be a wonderful mix of gardening, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, "prawning", reading...enjoying wonderful meals (largely of food I have caught or grown) and good wine...

Gardening is fun, and even more so when you eat the fruit of your labor. Here in the SW, very few plants can survive the summer heat, except okra and eggplants, and we grow mostly in the shoulder season of spring and fall.

And up in our high-elevation home, the danger of frost does not go away until Memorial Day, and returns in early October so the growing season is so short and we have not bothered.

I often envy my friends and relatives who live in CA with a moderate climate where they can grow nearly year round. Up in the Puget Sound, I guess it is not too bad as the winter is not too brutal, and the growing season is still longer than what I have.

Saw what I think was a great heron on the beach this morning (pre-dawn). It was huge! Normally it's just the usual birds: seagulls, terns, pelicans...

Yesterday younger son got his cast off (broken elbow) and upgraded to a splint for 2 weeks. Right after that we met his baseball team - they had a team building activity - carry my son in a stretcher (canvas with handles - no frame) without dropping him, the 1/2 mile to the frozen yogurt place. I made sure that the team knew not to drop him on his elbow. It was pretty funny to watch. 12 kids taking turns (6 at a time) carry my oversized son. (He's the biggest kid on the team by weight and height). The kids succeeded in their mission.

(The coach is a retired marine drill instructor and has about half the team in his boy scout troop as well... so he knew how to manage the kids.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom