what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quilted my SO into staining the deck while I relax by the pool .

Dang! I knew there was something I forgot: no SO.

I tried the guilt thing with the dog, but it doesn't work. Been trying to get her to clean the bathroom for years!

-- Rita

DW and I were having morning coffee, looking out the back and a young black bear just ambled by. About 3' to shoulder height. Unfortunately no cameras handy. The bear moseyed on, not enough time to go get camera. Happens a few times a year.

A good start to the day.

An excellent day...I went to a retirement lunch with some good former co-w*rkers.
They're all green with envy but were glad to see my life was going well. :D
It was like being at a high school reunion. The group is no longer together.
Some went to private industry, some were reorganized recently, some were retired.
My ego is beyond overinflated - the guys commented on how good I looked, saw that I'd lost weight, I was smiling more.
Conclusion: I must have really looked like h*ll before. :ROFLMAO:

Drove out to the family farm and mowed the "lawn" for the first time this year. About 8 inches tall. Had to hold the front end of the mower up to make my way through. Helped my cousin plant the garden. Waiting to plant tomatoes, still getting frost warnings and scattered frosts. Saw a dead bear, couple of dead deer, and a dead porcupine en route.:(

Dropped our kid off at the airport! She looked like she could hardly believe that we were going to let her get away with it. If she'd looked closely at our parental facial expressions, she would have observed that we could hardly believe that she was going to let us get away with it.

She just finished junior year of high school and has five weeks of summer programs at two different Mainland colleges. Rice is still #1 in her mind but by the time she gets home she'll have definite opinions on Notre Dame and USNA. Then it'll be time to plug away at the applications.

Up at o'dark thirty again to help get dh2b on the road. He's going to the gym before w*rk, 4 days/week for 3 months now. He has lost almost 20 lbs, giving up soda and eating smaller meals.
I like my new and improved Mr. Muscle Man. :whistle:<wolf whistle>
Did doggie doo reconaissance, target acquisition and capture, then took smaller dog to the vet.
Had some "Heidi food" for lunch and goofing off for the rest of the day. :D

For the most part goofed off. Changed upper rubber bushings of front shock absorbers on my 88 Jag. Probably the easiest job I ever done on a Jag. Clunking on bumps is now history. Not too bad for 20 year old rubbers.

Test drive, then reward mechanic with beer.

Slept late and putzed around the house. Just got back from one of our banks...opened a checking account. I've been in there several times alone, but DH came with me this time. The bank rep said, "Is this your husband?" I said yes, but don't tell my boyfriend..." I thought the guy was gonna fall out of his chair! :LOL:

Gonna make supper, then shower, put my war paint on and go to a club. They'll be playing classic rock. :dance:

Did laundry and lined dried it, ran the dishwasher, went to the bird food store, went to the human food store (along with half the town).

Note too self: scratch off Friday afternoon for grocery shopping.

Have resumed old habit of taking a stroll around the estate in the early morning, and making mental notes on what needs to be done.

Dawn patrol. Most excellent.

It doesn't seem fair to do this when our kid's at home, although I'd never get her out of the house at 5:30 AM anyway.

I still don't understand this "empty-nester syndrome" stuff...

Honestly, neither do I....which is nearly a maternal heresy. I cry a little when each of my kids leave home (or leave for college, but only the first time), but I perk up fairly quickly because I have less laundry/housework to do. :)

I love my kids so dearly, but I'm really happy for them when they start off on their own lives. And I'm really happy for me because I have more time for me and dh.

And I don't talk to my kids (the ones living away from home) every day on the phone, which most of my friends do. Another heresy.

Went to DD's HS graduation. Heading for the states tomorrow. We'll be empty nesters in 3 months. Hasn't been just the two of us for 22 years. I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve when it comes to family...will really miss DD when she goes to school.

R

Planted grapevines, weeded some onions, laid some more landscaping fabric in the garden walkways. Skeddaddled inside screened porch when biting horseflies found me. Blackflies are pretty much gone. :D
Killing time until I go to a formal retirement ceremony at 3 PM.
Laundry is being ignored today :LOL:

UPDATE: I attended a formal military retirement ceremony for a LtCol who is a NYANG Chaplain and a good friend. It's been a while since I was at one of these. Today I learned the story of the unit coin and how it was used during WWII to positively identify yourself as a "friendly" if you no other way of doing that. The flag unfolding and refolding and other rituals are always a wonderful thing to observe and be a part of. Very cool. :cool:

Mowed grass. Taught DW how to use a light weight weed whacker. Since I refuse to manicure the lawn, we bought a relly light weight one and she decided to learn how to run the gizmo. DW has far less tolarence for less than neat edges than I.

So after the safety lessons, adjusting the whacker for her height etc. she is at them weeds, with a vengeance. And I'm outta the way. Yay!:whistle:

It is great that she is well enough by now. She had part of her lung removed along with a cancerous nodule in December. She has been swimming now for a few months, and chomping at the bitts to get more energetic in yard work.

is great that she is well enough by now. She had part of her lung removed along with a cancerous nodule in December. She has been swimming now for a few months, and chomping at the bitts to get more energetic in yard work.

I'm glad that your wife is doing so well after that surgery .

Dawn patrol. Most excellent.

It doesn't seem fair to do this when our kid's at home, although I'd never get her out of the house at 5:30 AM anyway.

My parents loved us and raised us and did without for us, but we were told from birth that we were expected to leave and take care of ourselves. I don't think my parents had "empty-nester syndrome".

My parents loved us and raised us and did without for us, but we were told from birth that we were expected to leave and take care of ourselves. I don't think my parents had "empty-nester syndrome".
We've probably supplied more than a little motivation to help her along that flight path. Even if she bounces along the runway a few times getting airborne.

She left voicemail today from USNA's Bancroft Hall, where she has a "very nice corner room".* She said she'd already met a midshipman from Hawaii, so she gave her some of her li hing mui candy. She said she was already getting sucked in by USNA's marketing. ("Noooooo!! Don't do it!!!!") She sounds pretty happy. We'll see how she feels about that after tomorrow's morning workout.

Spouse and I have eaten pizza for three of our last four meals, and we haven't cooked since Wednesday night!!

*Typically reserved for her and 3-4 of her closest friends, although the midshipmen will no doubt neglect to mention that minor fact.

We bought two nice used LazyBoy matching recliners a month ago. But I hadn't done a sufficient smell check, and I missed the slight musty smell. So, after some Internet research, I attacked them yesterday.

After a vigorous vacuuming and thorough cleaning, they got sprayed with two cans of Lysol. After the Lysol smell dissipates, they'll get sprayed with Febreze.

They'll also spend some time airing out in the sun.

If there's any smell at all after that, we'll sell them and buy brand new recliners.

Stimulted the economy...breakfast at Denny's, shopping for fresh fruit, yogurt and a few other things
at Wallyworld before it got crowded. :D
Killing time while poor dh2b has to do some online training he simply won't get to complete during normal hours.
He needs this box checked off ASAP.
So I made him a little picnic tray of tuna fish, swiss cheese and Wheat Thins. A real low maintenance guy! :LOL:

Worked on the garden beds some more. This is very time consuming. We have all the plants in, but then we have to circle them with humus/manure. Then we cover the whole bed (section by section) with newspaper as a weed barrier. Then we put down mulch. Been working on this for about 3 weeks. I just used my 170th bag of mulch. I think we'll finish by the end of this week.

After a short exhaustion inspired nap, I finally got the new kayak out in the bay. It was pretty windy, so the waves were significant. But the water was pretty warm. It was cool. There was a major fog bank covering Ocean City, could barely see the buidings. But where I was 1 mile away it was clear as could be. It was great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom