Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #13381
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Gumby!
+3 And many more!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #13382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another happy anniversary wish....

------------

Today's weather is wonderful. I'm working out in the yard wearing a tee and shorts. Getting sun on my skin feels great.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #13383
Full time employment: Posting here.

happy, happy, happy !!!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #13384
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke to a sunny 70 degree day. DW and I walked a half an hour into El Centro to set up a CD, had a nice almuerzo (lunch) with soup, fruit juice, rice, beef, and some corn salad for $2.50. Stopped at a Mercado for oatmeal, stopped at a bakery for a few rolls, started watching our backlog of Olympics coverage, made some guacamole, and will continue to watch Olympics the rest of the day.

Nice, relaxing day here in Ecuador.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #13385
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did the $99 special CIMT test. The idea was to get a baseline thickness down. I already did the calcium score and it was a zero, so as long as my walls stay the same thickness, I'll not worry about my 'numbers'.

Oh, and from my garage to back in my garage took about 35 minutes! A local test location, efficient check-in, no insurance involvement, and a ready sonographer.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #13386

Took advantage of a sunny day and clear roads before the next snow. Drove to the King of Prussia Mall to walk and get some exercise without fear of slipping on ice. Can't wait for spring! More snow tonight....
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #13387
Give me a forum ...

As several holes in a pine tree can attest, I learned today that I need to spend a lot more time practicing before I try hunting squirrels with a revolver again.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #13388

Went for ice cream yesterday afternoon with my bromigo. Once again I am amazed at just how much ice cream a two year old can consume, especially with all the toppings.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #13389
Give me a forum ...

Just received the replacement tweeters for one of my Sansui SP-3500 vintage speakers today, and also the replacements for the tweeters of both vintage Pioneer CS88. As these are not exact replacements, some electrical adjustments to the crossovers may have to be made, hopefully just minor ones.

I am one happy camper. Will be doing a lot of frequency sweeping out in the backyard tomorrow. Will be providing some updates with some photos and response curves on another thread to avoid clogging up this one.

PS. These are 40-yr old speakers, and the capacitors in the crossovers may have dried out. I will spend a bit of time to check them out carefully. Most people just replace all caps, but I am not sure if that's necessary yet.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #13390

Went to the gym with DW.

Called Vanguard and got the ball rolling to roll over a 457 account to there. Shoulda done that sooner.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #13391
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Worked on moving money around. Looked at future Florida webcam and wished I could use clothesline.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #13392

Got my third and final quote for a new roof. I have seriously underestimated the cost of this project and tomorrow will look once again at repairs vs replacement,
Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #13393
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
As several holes in a pine tree can attest, I learned today that I need to spend a lot more time practicing before I try hunting squirrels with a revolver again.
I thought I heard someone shooting at trees in Central Park .
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #13394

what did you do today?

Been looking for new goals in retirement, so I pulled out the old photo gear to evaluate it. Everything in good shape except the battery packs. Contacts mildly corroded and cells dead. Easy fix. My Mecablitz 45 CT 4 is down for now, til new cells come in, but I was playing with a couple of old manual flashes and having a blast; using them on a Nikon DSLR. One reason I dropped out of photography was technology made it too easy. Messing around with everything in manual mode made me remember why I fell in love with it to begin with. Figured with all our travel, a little conservation based photojournalism would keep me moving. A blog, maybe some submissions to established journals...

...at least, it will be fun.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #13395

Okay, this is a new one for me.

We got a call from the funeral home that handled FIL's funeral in December. The VA grave site marker is in and can we pick it up? Oh, and you might want to bring a truck since it is a granite slab and weighs about 200 lbs. Uh, okay.

?

Turns out that DW, her sister and brother at one of the planning meetings with the funeral home had learned that FIL was eligible for this marker, having served in the Navy during WWII. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, it also turns out that the grave site also already has a brass or bronze marker in place and there is the very real probability/possibility that the VA marker cannot be placed there. The guy I spoke with wants to wait for the snow to melt to visually check and make sure. He'll call back next week.

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.

Sigh.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 AM   #13396
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What does one do with that?
Craigslist, definitely not eBay...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #13397

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Craigslist, definitely not eBay...
Somehow, I just don't see DW going for that.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #13398
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Okay, this is a new one for me.

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.

Sigh.
Save it and have it re-engraved for later use....
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #13399

Jeff Yeager would approve of that.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #13400
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Save it and have it re-engraved for later use....
Donate it to a college or high school sculpture class for a budding Michelangelo to work on.

Is it that distinctive plain headstone we see at Arlington and other cemeteries? Unless that style those used by non veterans too, I wouldn't think someone who wasn't in the service would re-engrave it (and if they were, I guess they would just get their own through the VA), but maybe.