what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remembered to log on. :greetings10:

I've been intentionally limiting my keyboard time. Whenever the weather changes drastically, my hands tend to ache. I use my tabletop paraffin bath to help with that. Warm moist heat is the best solution for tendinitis. :D

Today I am delivering a folding seat/hand brake equipped walker to the sister of a very dear veteran buddy of mine. He was hospitalized with pneumonia, recovered enough to go to a nursing home for post hospital rehab for 2 weeks, and should be released to home next week.
She and I will do some simple adjustments to the living room furniture to prepare for his homecoming. He will be using a walker until he regains enough leg strength and balance to walk unassisted.
His buddies are going to build (or buy) a temporary ramp for the front steps so he can navigate those more easily.
She's feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this. My visit will be a somewhat normal day for her, versus the past month of hospital and nursing home visits and dealing with the healthcare system.

Went in for Cervical epidural #2. No big deal as knowing the process took all the anxiety away. DR. seemed pleased at the amount of improvement from the first one. Gave me a script for PT. Oh the joy, I just gotta get psyched up for it. My experience is you get out of PT the same amount of improvement as the effort you put into it.

Went in for Cervical epidural #2. No big deal as knowing the process took all the anxiety away. DR. seemed pleased at the amount of improvement from the first one. Gave me a script for PT. Oh the joy, I just gotta get psyched up for it. My experience is you get out of PT the same amount of improvement as the effort you put into it.

Try to find one that has a manual therapy emphasis - at least 20 minutes (minimum) each session in my opinion should be hands on mobilization of soft tissue and joints - especially for c-spine treatment.

More like manual cervical traction? My last event, 5 years ago the PT did some manual traction/massage really seemed to help.

Appreciate the advise.

Last edited:
Played my first round of golf as a retiree!

Then came home & started on decluttering. Had letters & stuff from 40 years ago!

More like manual cervical traction? My last event, 5 years ago the PT did some manual traction/massage really seemed to help.

Appreciate the advise.

Not, not cervical traction (although that might be indicated, I don't know). Soft tissue mobilization includes various types of massage techniques like trigger point release, myofascial release, etc. Typically that is very helpful for cervical issues.

Some patients also benefit from cervical joint mobilization, but, like cervical traction, that depends on the patient's particular case.

Exercises are very important, too, but I have found without manual therapy progress is often limited.

I just like to make sure patients pick a good PT! :) There are some clinics that you go in and get maybe 10 minutes of 1:1 exercise instruction and then are told to do your exercises while the therapist runs off to another patient. To me, that is not quality care.

simple girl, many thanks.

I've been to this facility in 2010 for cervical issues and 2014 for balance therapy. The one thing know is the therapist is with you the entire time. I'd been to a place before where they passed you off, sometimes to patients that were not good teachers.

That's why I went there in 2014, prior experience let me know I had the therapists undivided attention. I'll ask about trigger point release and myofascial release. Are PTs the only ones that do those? Do well trained LMTs have the training or sould I trust them? I realize this is an opinion.:)

Many thanks.

Edit to add: I've done manual cervical traction and home cervical traction, 6-8 lbs. for about 10 minutes, both with good results. Had to take a timer downstairs with me as the home unit relaxed me so much I'd fall off into a light sleep.

Last edited:
simple girl, many thanks.

I've been to this facility in 2010 for cervical issues and 2014 for balance therapy. The one thing know is the therapist is with you the entire time. I'd been to a place before where they passed you off, sometimes to patients that were not good teachers.

That is great the therapist is with you the entire time. Sounds like you are in good hands!

The other place sounds horrid. Ugggh! These are the kind of clinics that should not exist, IMO!

I'll ask about trigger point release and myofascial release. Are PTs the only ones that do those? Do well trained LMTs have the training or sould I trust them? I realize this is an opinion.:)

PT's are not the only ones who do MFR and trigger point work. Some massage therapists are quite skilled at it. However, some massage therapists can cause more damage than good - especially if your case is complicated and they are too aggressive. IMO you would do best to start with your PT that you trust and see if they utilize these manual techniques. If not, you could ask if they have someone they can refer you to (PT or massage therapist that they trust).

Many thanks.

HTH :)

Went to see "Furious 7" last night. They say when going to the cinema one needs to "suspend belief and embrace the story". In this case, the "suspend belief" part is to be emphasized. :) Still, we enjoyed ourselves, then went out to a very nice dinner that DD provided via gift card.

....Once I finally got through to the second person, she agreed I was right and the rest of my refund is on its way.

This is like David defeating Goliath! ....

Way to go W2R!

You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off the ol' Long Ranger,
And you don't fool around with W2R's refund!

Last edited:
You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off the ol' Long Ranger,
And you don't fool around with W2R's refund!

Yeah!!! :clap: :clap: Thanks!

I even got a follow-up letter confirming that my refund is on its way, so I am pleased as punch. :D

Woke up to a light rain. We need it, but inconvenient timing as the team came out first thing to do the annual drain, scrub, and prune/repot job on our little fish pond. I like to keep an eye on things so put on my rain jacket and spent a couple of hours out in the chilly dampness. Decided as long as I was grubby, I'd load up the minivan with stuff for the church youth garage sale tomorrow - my old bicycle that I don't ride anymore, a patio umbrella, an old DVD player, two Christmas trees, and a few assorted smaller things. When I got home, I realized I also wanted to get rid of DD's desk (with her approval!). Emptied it out and got someone to pick it up.

Took care of a few e-mails and phone calls for volunteer work, ate some leftovers for lunch (cold meatloaf sandwich is just about my favorite lunch of all time!), and watched video of the Duke basketball team's championship celebration on campus. Think I will indulge in a quick nap since we have rehearsal tonight for a choral concert (Brahams' Requiem) on Sunday.

End of week 1 of being mostly-retired (no one else understands this but you guys):

Monday - food prep, post office, bought a new pillow and hand towel for spending more time sleeping and at home, puttering around, can't remember the rest, looked at airfares to visit DS in LA.
Tuesday - my new schedule- long day of w*rk.
Weds - AM hanging out, listening to podcasts, afternoon yoga class, light dinner, painting class.
Thurs - once a month w*rk for 4 hrs, quick pick up of something at grocery store, 2 hours of trying to figure out why my iPad wouldn't download any apps - success but in updating I lost all my keyboard shortcuts, looked at some condos online in Puerto Vallarta.
Today - made green smoothies for the next 3 days, weekly grocery shopping, haircut, a few emails, saying no to someone who asked me if I would 'swing by and see an old patient' at a facility where I no longer go, nap and internet surfing, will soon go out to dinner.

I could get used to this :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Took the corvette for its 2015 maiden voyage and car wash. Picked up tax returns and happy that we're getting a refund. Played with my new garden tractor trailer. Now watching the White Sox trying to go 0-4 for the season.

ETA - Almost forgot - got my Illinois Water Usage stamp for my kayak

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Last edited:
Went to the brokerage company and gave them my final and forever Roth IRA contribution. Went to the library and decided to check out some young adult fiction. Now I have six YA books to read. (I might want to consider re-working my bucket list).

We've been working on house projects the last couple of days - a window sill herb garden, more succulent container gardens, stringing solar lights under and around the new patio umbrella, and stocking up on firewood and charcoal for cookouts. The backyard critters (probably squirrels) always chew through the strings of the string solar light when we put them in the trees or string them like clothesline. So we're trying under the umbrella this summer and we'll see how that goes.

It was nice and sunny today. We had lunch on the patio and watched the birds of prey circling around and resting on top of a nearby Redwood. It is their fave spot to land because it is the tallest point around.

I doubt we can outsmart the squirrels if they really want to go after the lights, based on the number of obstacle courses squirrels have mastered in Youtube videos, like this one:

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

What kind of filters will you have on the incoming water in the house?

Your project is going much faster than mine. I'm hoping to get the trusses on and the roof sheathed by the end of May.

We have a whole house sediment filter on the line now but haven't actually determined if we'll need anything else. The well is 500 feet deep and we had to frac the well to get flow so there is a lot of sediment in the water so far as a result of the fraccing. Running water from the well straight outside right now when I'm at the house (and remember to turn it on, lol) until the gray color is gone, then we'll connect to the house plumbing and get some tests run to see what we're working with. Well drillers said we might have to run the well at a low rate for several days to clear the drilling sediment.

My house is about 200 yards away from this one and our well is about 430 feet deep, with good soft and clean spring water. There is another house with a well about 300 yards from where the new one is being built and their well is only 120 feet with great flow but their water has sulfur and iron and is very hard so needs a lot of treatment. I haven't smelled sulfur yet from the new well so hoping it's in the spring water pocket but won't know for a bit.

Good luck with the trusses getting set and the sheathing- will you be using a metal or shingled roof?

We've been working on house projects the last couple of days - a window sill herb garden, more succulent container gardens, stringing solar lights under and around the new patio umbrella, and stocking up on firewood and charcoal for cookouts. The backyard critters (probably squirrels) always chew through the strings of the string solar light when we put them in the trees or string them like clothesline. So we're trying under the umbrella this summer and we'll see how that goes.

daylate, Won't having the lights overhead draw insects in?

We're suppose to have great weather this weekend so we'll be getting all the cars ready for the coming driving season. A couple of friends help us and we'll have a cookout to thank them.

DW and I went to The Longest Ride last night. Fast & Furious 7 was also starting at the same time so there was a long line and the movie had started when we walked into the theater and settled into our seats. I thought it was a good movie, nice story without special effects though the slo-mo bull ride at the end was pretty cool.

Anyhow, the movie ends and the credits begin and the lights come on and I'll bet the theater was 95% women! Probably all ogling at Scott Eastwood who I concede is quite the handsome guy.

daylate, Won't having the lights overhead draw insects in?

We don't really have any insect issues here. We can sit out on the patio after dark for weeks and never see a mosquito. I don't recall any June bugs and there aren't a lot of moths. Maybe it is too dry most of the year? Government insect control and spraying programs? ? I don't know why we don't have many. The only type I miss are fireflies.

Last edited:
Good luck with the trusses getting set and the sheathing- will you be using a metal or shingled roof?

I'm doing a shingled roof. I don't want to deal with the snow sliding off the roof. I've seen furnace vents caved in and plumbing vents broken off from the snow sliding off the roof. I've also spent time on a metal roof tightening screws that worked loose. Metal roofs are not maintenance free and unless you put a lot of money in them, I don't think they last any longer than a shingled roof.

Went to the brokerage company and gave them my final and forever Roth IRA contribution.

That's got to be a great feeling! :)

Went to the library and decided to check out some young adult fiction. Now I have six YA books to read. (I might want to consider re-working my bucket list).

One of the joys of retirement is constantly updating and re-vamping that bucket list. Nobody is assigning us anything to do any more, so we can do that now.

I'm doing a shingled roof. I don't want to deal with the snow sliding off the roof. I've seen furnace vents caved in and plumbing vents broken off from the snow sliding off the roof. I've also spent time on a metal roof tightening screws that worked loose. Metal roofs are not maintenance free and unless you put a lot of money in them, I don't think they last any longer than a shingled roof.

My friend had his bathroom vent pipe sheared off by snow sliding on a metal roof. Snow coming off the roof can also fall on railings and damage them.

For those reasons I went with shingles rather than metal. If I were doing it over again, I might consider metal for 2-3' along the eaves and shingles for the rest - some people have that around here but I don't know how well it works in preventing ice dams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom