what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 hour session at the gym. Cardio and weights.

I am now stapled to the couch and will not move unless I REALLY have to. This all better be worth it this summer when I hit the beach in my leopard-print Speedo.:cool:

Busy day today, almost ready to relax. Up about 5:30 am, surfed the web, watched a couple of tutorials on some new software for my CNC router. Read the paper online in bed when the DW woke about 7:00 am. Then we walked the dogs, cleaned the alpaca barn and fed the alpacas. Barn chores only take about 15 minutes if we don't have any medical work to do. I worked at house we're building for sister in law and father in law, painting was finished yesterday so started installing all the electric fixtures, switches, and outlets. Decided that one of the pre-hung doors we installed was opening the wrong way so I reversed the hinges, will have some patch work to do but should turn out alright. Got 75% of the wiring done so good progress. Made a "30 minute" mozzarella from some milk that was nearing it's end time, tastes great. On our way out to the barn for the afternoon clean up and feeding, pizza and a movie before bedtime which comes early around here.

CNC, dogs, and Alpacas- life doesn't get much better than that!

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

We had dinner and drinks at a friend's yacht club and watched a sailboat race.

For the past two hours watched thick white global warming cover the grass, flowers and trees. So far about inch and a a half. Weather service claims it should stop by around 10 AM. The woodstove is well stoked and cranking out the heat.

DW is most unhappy having to drag out her winter coat and boots from the depths of the closets. Luckily the windshield snow brush is still on the front seat of my winter beater truck.

We are driving back from our musician son's last concert as a college student. When I think what passes as music in the larger world compared to the amazing compositions and talented musicians I've had the privilege to hear these past five years, I feel a bit dismayed. So I'm feeling a bit sad today. His school has a phenomenal program and an amazing concert hall. I will miss this place and this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Had quite the eventful morning. It was already hectic/stressed because both my sons had baseball games - in two different places at the same time. To complicate things further - my husband was working his required "snack shack" hours and we were temporarily down to one car - DH's truck which only sits 3. (We're a family of 4.)

Ok - get older son to his game, younger son to his game, hubby to snack shack, and return back to younger son's game. About 30 minutes into the game another parent comes over and says he's got a mom from my older son's game on the phone... Older son had taken a ball to the face. I drive over to his field and it's pretty horrific - lots of bleeding, lots of swelling. My son had been batting (and had just swung and struck out) when the catcher tries to throw to 3rd to get out a player who was stealing 3rd. My son's face was in the way. Even more frustrating - the strike out was the 3rd out - so the play was completely unnecessary. (But the catcher feels awful about it.)

I head off to the ER... CT scan shows lots of fractures in his face, orbital socket, nose, nasal bones - etc.... Fortunately, not so bad he need surgery - but it's not pretty. So 4 hours later we're discharged with instructions for ice packs, ibuprofen, and prophylactic antibiotics for the nasal area. We'll be seeing the ENT doc this week for follow up.

I picked a bad year to switch to a high deductible plan. Younger son just got his broken elbow cast off a month ago. Oye.

Keep your fingers crossed that the "no surgery" ruling holds... apparently it will be up to the ENT about that.

I hope they made sure your son's vision in that eye is ok too.

If he has double vision at any time a muscle entrapment is possible. Decreased vision in the involved eye means the eye is injured too. That is more urgent.

Just the doc in me coming out.

Good luck!

Went 4-wheeling with the club today. I arranged for them to come to the kid's camp which is right next to the 4-wheeling trails. We had a great day of 4-wheeling followed by dinner at the camp for about 40 people from the club. A great day all around!

rodi, as soon as I read about your older son I thought, "isn't this the poster with a kid with an injured elbow?"

Ouch, this one sounds worse!

Good luck with all this. It sounds painful.

How old are the two sons?

Had quite the eventful morning. It was already hectic/stressed because both my sons had baseball games - in two different places at the same time. To complicate things further - my husband was working his required "snack shack" hours and we were temporarily down to one car - DH's truck which only sits 3. (We're a family of 4.)

Ok - get older son to his game, younger son to his game, hubby to snack shack, and return back to younger son's game. About 30 minutes into the game another parent comes over and says he's got a mom from my older son's game on the phone... Older son had taken a ball to the face. I drive over to his field and it's pretty horrific - lots of bleeding, lots of swelling. My son had been batting (and had just swung and struck out) when the catcher tries to throw to 3rd to get out a player who was stealing 3rd. My son's face was in the way. Even more frustrating - the strike out was the 3rd out - so the play was completely unnecessary. (But the catcher feels awful about it.)

I head off to the ER... CT scan shows lots of fractures in his face, orbital socket, nose, nasal bones - etc.... Fortunately, not so bad he need surgery - but it's not pretty. So 4 hours later we're discharged with instructions for ice packs, ibuprofen, and prophylactic antibiotics for the nasal area. We'll be seeing the ENT doc this week for follow up.

I picked a bad year to switch to a high deductible plan. Younger son just got his broken elbow cast off a month ago. Oye.

Keep your fingers crossed that the "no surgery" ruling holds... apparently it will be up to the ENT about that.

Rodi, I'm so sorry to read of your son's injuries. I hope he heals well and soon.

Just learned that a cousin died this morning in a camping accident. He was sleeping in a hammock in Stephen F Austin state park. A bad storm came through and blew down the tree that his hammock was in. The tree fell on him.

He was 64 and was retiring early next year. He was also a scout leader and had probably slept in that tree hundreds of times over the last twenty years.

Makes my decision to leave work this year at 54 a no brainer. Life is short and none of us get out alive.

I hope they made sure your son's vision in that eye is ok too.

If he has double vision at any time a muscle entrapment is possible. Decreased vision in the involved eye means the eye is injured too. That is more urgent.

Just the doc in me coming out.

Good luck!

Thanks for this info. The doctor at the ER didn't mention this.

Rodi, I am so sorry to hear about your son's injuries. I hope that he will heal with no surgeries and there is not an eye problem.

Lisa, I am terribly sorry to hear about your cousin. It sounded like he was a good person. You are right, there are no guarantees in life. Shame he did not get to enjoy some retirement.

Rodi, I am so sorry to hear about your son's injuries. How stressful that must have been for everyone. I hope he recovers as quickly as possible.

Just learned that a cousin died this morning in a camping accident. He was sleeping in a hammock in Stephen F Austin state park. A bad storm came through and blew down the tree that his hammock was in. The tree fell on him.

He was 64 and was retiring early next year. He was also a scout leader and had probably slept in that tree hundreds of times over the last twenty years.

Makes my decision to leave work this year at 54 a no brainer. Life is short and none of us get out alive.

Holy crap. Talk about a freak accident. Sorry for your loss, Lisa.

Carpe diem.

Rodi - So sorry to hear about your son. I hope he doesn't need surgery.

Today I spent the most of the day decluttering, picking out stuff out to donate and organizing the house. I realized we don't have enough decorative storage baskets to help with books, mail, keys and odds and ends laying about. I replaced some of the none functional bric a brac with baskets to hold all the little clutter.

Rodi, hopefully this will be another future story with a happy ending. Adolescent and teenage boys are a challenge. :)

My very first at bat in a HS baseball game, a scrimmage at that, the pitcher threw two perfect strikes, outside corner at the knees, then threw a sweeping curve that didn't...

Luckily, all I got was a very fat lip out of the deal.

Rodi, I hope that the kid's injuries are not serious and that his vision is not affected. As others said...Teenage boys!" (We raised two girls...so different in some regards).

What a freak accident. Sorry for your loss, Lisa.

Last edited:
Rodi , Hope your son is okay !
Lisa, Sorry for your loss !

+1 We were camping in Canada a number of years ago and a nasty storm swept through the area, resulting in a number of downed trees. A couple days later we heard that in another part of the park a tree fell on a tent with people sleeping in it, killing one of them. One of those unfortunate "when your time is up" type of things.

Rodi, I also hope all turns out okay.

Yesterday[-] I was dragged[/-] we went to a dance recital for DW's 5 and 9 year old grandnieces, and I was to get photos of this momentous event. Since the stage lighting was dim (when the rest of the auditorium is dark any light looks bright) I was shooting at ISO 800 and 1/15 second so there were lots of thowaways. Out of 247 frames shot about 80 were worth keeping but DW is happy and that's what counts. The dinner and such afterward was much more enjoyable than the 3 hours crammed in a seat.

And I'm now much better at picking out the instant in a dance routine when the action stops for 1/15 of a second....:LOL:

I spent the afternoon looking for Assisted Living facilities for Mom. No decisions made yet, but I'd say it's now more likely than not.

I'm really living dangerously this week... I took the chains off the plow truck and disconnected the plow. Last night was the first rain for the season.

You did what? :facepalm: Around here that would result in an immediate snowfall!

Seriously though, Mt. Mansfield reported 3 inches of snow in the last 24 hours and is expecting 1-3 inches tonight. Enough already!!!

When I lived in Colorado some decades ago, it was not too unusual to get snow in early June. I would be much too nervous to live that dangerously.

Well... As you may have guessed, it is snowing heavily today. Sigh. :( I don't plan to put the chains back on, but I may have to hook the plow back up. :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom