what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes words cannot convey the story...today's project...JetStar tomatoes and Cubanelle sweet peppers

Attachments

• downsized_0608091136.jpg
    downsized_0608091136.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
  • downsized_0608091135.jpg
    downsized_0608091135.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
Took out the new 33-inch walk-behind mower and finished the "lower 40" - the hill that slopes down to the creek. (The creek, by the way, is stocked with trout.)

Then took the motorcycle out to pick up some oil for the lawn mower, light bulbs for the truck, and a prescription for DW. It's a nice day so I took the long, long, way home.

Go to work this afternoon. But, it's the activity that paid for the bike.

Had a sawmill job yesterday on the National Mall, quite an interesting experience. Picture is my mill set up with some nice scenery in the background- funny thing, I was so busy getting set up and working that I didn't even look to my left for about 2 hours after I got set up. It was pouring rain early but turned out to be a beautiful, humid day.

I was a subcontractor for someone that was doing work for the Smithsonian, we cut a bunch of small poplar, elm, and cherry logs in to 3" thick slabs to be used eventually for seating or benches. All the wood was from trees that had come down in the area as explained to me.

Don't think there have been a lot of sawmills operated on the Mall before so it was a really fun experience- I spent days dreading the drive with the mill (it's 26' long) but went very early and really had no problems at all.

img_823992_0_d16035c9a5bfcfd99b8f3e417170666f.jpg

Got gas, now $2.599/gal. Price is jacked up about every 5 days lately 7 to 19 cents /gal.

Visit greasy spoon for coffee and BS. Lately even they are slow for lunch crowds.

Today was nearly dead except for a few of us who gave up w*rk.

The scene around the coffee maker and cash register:
Cam: Canon SD1100 IS, full auto , available lighting, no flash. For those who want to know.

Attachments

• IMG_0124DinerSlowRuths.jpg
    IMG_0124DinerSlowRuths.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 5
Busy day today...
Installed lines on dock slip at lake. Boat goes in this weekend. :D
Went to Wallyworld and returned laptop lap desk. Hard plastic was not enjoyable on knees. Scored a nice seedless watermelon for $4 and bananas.
Chinese buffet with friends. One of them finally made me a Foghorn Leghorn and Chicken Hawk DVD from his collection of cartoons. :LOL:
Went to hardware store to pickup boat quick release hooks and new line.
Mowed lawn. Took another chipmunk prisoner to the lakefront estate.
Whew....<pant pant pant>
Grand Finale...I received a formal invitation from my alma mater to join an Advisory Committee for their 3-2 Engineering Program. It made me feel really good to read that letter. My advisor is part of the Committee. This just might turn into something fun. Helping college students with practical info so they can find jobs, help keep curriculum current, possibly mentor a student or 2. I accepted with a definite YES email to the professor. 1st meeting is late September, only a 2 hour drive away. ROAD TRIP!!!!

Went to Cook County (chicago) to do some deed research. It was like a ghost town in there. Apparently not may deed transactions these days.

Yesterday, went with an OLLI group to tour the Gettysburg Battle fields, lunched at the Dobbins House and ended with a tour of the Eisenhower Farm. We had a very knowledgable and enthusiastic tour guide. I left the house at 7:15AM and returned at 9:45PM. A former co-worker took the day off and went with me. After hearing her talk about what is going on at my old workplace, I feel so fortunate to be retired!

Got gas, now $2.599/gal. Price is jacked up about every 5 days lately 7 to 19 cents /gal.

Visit greasy spoon for coffee and BS. Lately even they are slow for lunch crowds.

Today was nearly dead except for a few of us who gave up w*rk.

The scene around the coffee maker and cash register:
Cam: Canon SD1100 IS, full auto , available lighting, no flash. For those who want to know.

The greasy spoon sure is devoid of grease.

Watched it pour nearly all day and stay cool -- same recipe we've had for seemingly the last month. I am getting SO DEPRESSED by all this rain -- we live lakeside and can't do anything fun at all -- it is like being cooped up like in winter. What is up with the rotten weather this year in the northeast?? Usually it is in the 80's and lots of sun by now......:(

DD and DGD are in town this week, so I'm doing baby duty. Having a blast!

Other than that, just passed 200 bags of mulch for the season. I'm freecycling (new term for me). The guy who delivers the newspapers at Wallyworld takes the previous day's papers to the recycle bins. I grab the packages of unused papers and use them in my garden beds as weed barriers, then cover them with mulch. Incredibly time consuming, but effective and greenish, beats putting down Roundup.

The greasy spoon sure is devoid of grease.

Figure of speech for diner's in general. One of the first slang expressions I learned in English.

Yes the place is old, but extremely clean and neat. 70 + year old owner insists on having separate help for picking up dishes, scrubbing counter and tables after each customer and re-setting place mats, silverware.

One of the many reasons I like the place. Besides everybody here knows my name, my coffee usually is on the counter before I make it in the door. Ah, the small joys of life :).

One of the many reasons I like the place. Besides everybody here knows my name, my coffee usually is on the counter before I make it in the door. Ah, the small joys of life :).

Brief continuing encounters, similar to but nicer than those with co-w*rkers. I'm thinking you don't have to be empl*yed to have those kinds of relationships.

Stopped in the library the other day; I've known the check-out guy for ten years, thought I would miss him because I came in late in the day, didn't want him to see I was checking out "how-to-organize" books. He came on at 5:00 p.m., looked over and discussed everything I checked out and said, "I don't usually comment on what people check out." Oh yes he does! We've also had brief chats at bus stops about local news, just like water cooler chat. No way will I miss the "social interactions/friendship" at w*rk.

Went to a going out of business sale at a local grocery. Only had 2 checkout lanes. Manager did a hot swap of cash register module while I (and many others) was in line.

Have a lot of patience since being retired.

Woke up at 6:30 to the beautiful sunrise in the west, all blue and pink. Gorgeous! Went back to sleep and got up at 9 am. Had some coffee and read email. Worked for one hour on my part time job.

Then went to lunch at a favorite restaurant with a friend. Shopping at my favorite store. Then back home to work for three hours.

Great day!

Took DGD and her mom and DW to a movie today. Haven't been to one since Wall-E (which I thought was weak). And we had some old discount passes for that, so I didn't really notice the prices. We went to a 2:30 matinee, so the tickets were ONLY $7.50 each, with the 3 year old only costing $7. We smuggled in a couple drinks and some candy. A large soda there was $5.50. This was all very distressing to my cheapskate heart. I could almost have gotten a ticket to a Dead show for these prices.

Anyway, the movie was Up, which I had never even heard about beforehand. It was actually pretty good, although way too intense for the little'un. She was screaming and crying through parts of it. It would have been OK for her on DVD, but with the (relatively) big screen and loud sound system it was too intense. The happy ending made it all OK in the end, but it was rough sledding. Blew Wall-E away, though.

I played a restaurant gig with a sax player who had been in my quartet, but who has been at Berklee School of Music for the last two years. Although his playing is more sophisticated now, it's so "out" that I liked his playing better before. That is, he plays a lot more weird atonal stuff. I'm not sure this audience liked it, although we got one $10 tip.

Yesterday...made pancakes and bacon for the volunteers doing food prep for a big clambake.
I ate lobster, shrimp, clams, drank beer. :D I managed to not overeat and kind of foraged on things all day.
Today...recovering from said festivites. I usually eat pretty simply and my stomach was sorta kinda queasy today. My guess is it was the beer and butter combo. :LOL:
Relaxing while dh2b does yet more Vista OS updates on his desktop and laptop. I knew there was a reason I stuck with XP on my laptop. :whistle:

Had breakfast , went shopping then SO & I went bowling . We had not been bowling in several years so our scores were pitiful but it was fun . We then went to Anna Marie Island to have a drink overlooking the beach .All in all a fun day !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom