what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Readied my pontoon boat (changed oil and gear lube) for its 2015 launch on Friday. Grabbed a chunk of cherry that I sawed down last fall, and started to turn a bowl.

Attachments

• Cherry bowl.jpg
    Cherry bowl.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 19
Grabbed a chunk of cherry that I sawed down last fall, and started to turn a bowl.

That's going to take a while! Yeah, I know, just cut away anything that doesn't look like a bowl....:D

I love cherry wood. Anything made from it is going to look great.

That's going to take a while! Yeah, I know, just cut away anything that doesn't look like a bowl....:D

I love cherry wood. Anything made from it is going to look great.

Cherry is an awesome wood. This chunk has a thick layer of light colored sapwood. My "bowl" will probably be around 3-4" in diameter when I get done

Cherry is an awesome wood. This chunk has a thick layer of light colored sapwood. My "bowl" will probably be around 3-4" in diameter when I get done

I've handled millions of board feet of cherry. One of my favorite hardwoods. More beatiful and lighter than oak or hickory. Fresh sawn it has a powerful aroma of cherry gum.

IIRC the thickness of sapwood to heartwood has to do with the age(younger trees have more sapwood), but also the growth rate of the tree. Slower growing climates(colder) didn't have as much sapwood.

Rarely you would come across some with some burls in it. Enjoy, post a photo if you can.

Walked around SoCo in Austin with one cousin, had lunch, and visited other Texas cousins, one of whom I hadn't seen for nearly 40 years.

Austin weather is beautiful just now, too. This morning we're heading down to Corpus and Alice for more cousins.

[FONT=&quot]Working on an online “permaculture” course seeking the knowledge of how to maximize food production on our lot in a long-term sustainable manner with minimal “outside” input.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With the mess in the economy, I think a productive garden could be a practical investment. Supposedly once a “permaculture” approach garden is in, it requires much less work. Will see how the course goes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I asked one of the trainers at the gym why I wasn't improving. It's like I hit a plateau and no matter the effort I wasn't seeing the exercises getting easier and I've slowly been adding weight to the weight machines as I could since starting ~18 months ago. But a few months ago I noticed there just wasn't much if any improvement.

The first suggestion he had was to slack off a bit. He's seen me working out and says that while it is great that I push myself hard, I also have to back off for a week or two and take it lighter, then go heavier again.:facepalm:

While I have no interest in becoming a fitness fanatic I do want to stay in reasonable shape and see some improvement for the effort expended.

Took a walk in the open space preserve behind my house - found a single track that I have never been on before that climbed up to a saddle with a nice view of the surrounding area.

But - it was a bit hot today, felt good to get a good sweat going.

Back to the homestead and some gardening and prepping the bbq rig for the weekend.

Physical therapy so got up early. Got coffee, then to the library to get a few books, came home and saw I grabbed the wrong book (arghhhh) so went back to the library, chatted with friends there (it's where I retired from), then went and had lunch at a Japanese restaurant.

Tried to walk the dog but she wouldn't budge from the front lawn!

Had my first ever cable service installed. We just bought a condo, and the location doesn't have the fast (fiber) DSL service I'm used to, so the only option was Time Warner cable. I just got internet, no TV or phone, and I'm getting the same service (30 down, 5 up) as my current DSL, and the price is a few dollars less.

The installation was odd. The installer and I had to walk around the neighborhood looking for cable boxes to find the right one. We finally found it, but it was completely overgrown by an evergreen shrub and we had to really work hard to push branches back so he could get access to the connection.

Then he got the internet up in the condo and a registration screen appeared. He told me to ignore it, since he had already done that for me. I didn't know any better, so I believed him and he happily left.

A few hours later, a Time Warner QA guy came around to check.
Did the installer give me the new customer packet? No.
He was appalled at what the installer told me, and said to do the registration in order to get a TWC email.

So I went to the registration page, and found that the installer had set it up with his own email username and who knows what password.

Several hours later, I finally got things working as designed, but TWC won't change that email name. I could change the password, and I can set up sub accounts, but the master account name cannot change.

Cable is strange, but so far it's working fine. :confused:

Interesting that both TWC and AT&T have the "we can't change the master account e-mail" rule. We've had what is now AT&T service (first Southwestern Bell/SBC DSL, then AT&T UVerse) for nearly 15 years. The day they came to set up the DSL service, they wanted the master account to be DH's since our landline phone was in his name. So I made up an e-mail address for him on the spot, not realizing that this would be the master account 15 years later.

Anyone who gets new service I would recommend setting up the master account and use it only as the master account, with all e-mail accounts for all users being sub accounts. Then you can share the master PW with other family members for things like using your internet provider's public WIFI services without giving them your e-mail password. Wish we had done this - now it's been so long it's too much hassle to change.

What I did today was to bring the RV over to the house as we're taking it out for a quick trip tomorrow, just to make sure DH can manage everything in his new wheelchair. If all goes well, we'll be out for a longer trip in a few weeks.

I'm on the tour of all Kaiser Facilities in San Diego county today.

8am appt in Vista so my older son could see the pediatric opthomologist after his baseball accident this weekend. Good news - no issues. Bad news, got a call while there from my other son's school... he was in the nurses office with a wrist injury. I called DH and had him deal with that. 10am - at a different Kaiser facility in Clairemont, older son was checked out by the head and neck surgical team. Again, good news... while there are several fractures, there's no displacement at all - so it's just "be careful not to impact the face" and let it heal. Yay.

This afternoon we took younger son to his pediatrician (different Kaiser facility in Clairemont). Got the xray... They are worried it's a growth plate fracture - and there might be a distal fracture but the ped is deferring to the orthopedics department. It's splinted and we'll go see Ortho (at the main Kaiser facility in San Diego) on Tuesday.

Good news ? (is there good news?) is that it is a the other arm than the one he broke the elbow on, a few months ago.

Aaaghhhh.

Remembered to log on...I've been resting my hands and lower arms on purpose to allow them to recover from some outside yard w*rk done a few weeks ago. This chronic tendinitis can be a real pain sometimes. As long as I don't overdo repetitive motions, I'm OK. I overdid and paid the price.

Today I got up early to go to the dentist to get my flexible partial dentures fitted in. I told the dentist and his assistant that I was having steak fantasies. :LOL:
I opted for 2 separate pop-ins versus the traditional joined type that would go across the roof of my mouth. My dentist took the time to make sure they fit perfectly. I wore them for several hours as instructed, then tried some crunchy food to see how they functioned while chewing.
I am astounded ! :dance:
I have to pop them out after every meal and rinse them and my mouth well. Piece of cake. :D
My manner of speaking is now back to normal, very slight lisp. I was having a heck of a time, talking without a more pronounced lisp minus 3 upper molars since March.
My gums are a tiny bit tender on day 1, but that is to be expected for a few days. If I need any further adjustments, all I have to do is call the dentist. I am supposed to lengthen the time of wearing them with each passing day, sort of a training period for my gums. It's my option to wear them during sleeping times.

After I got home, I felt ambitious and swept some sand from the edges of the driveway.
I trimmed a few lilac trees that were getting too leggy.
I covered a flower box, currently of too much interest to tiny bees, with clear plastic to convince the bees this is not a good place to set up shop. My next step will be to lift a corner of the plastic and flood the soil with water from the garden hose.

I goofed off sitting on my front step watching the traffic go by.

All in all a good day. So nice to know that winter is gone, goodbye. :D

Last edited:
Thank you rodi and sons for supporting the orthopedic surgery community's retirement funds!

Holy cow, Rodi!!! As one mom to another, reading your post just stands my hair on end. I'm so sorry to read that all of this is happening to your boys.

Freebird, tendinitis? more dental work? What a difficult week! My dentist is done with me until June, unless the temporary cap pop off my tooth.

My chair delivery was at 10 AM, so I didn't have to wait very long. It seemed like an eternity, though. Sitting happily, no blissfully, and comfortably, in my new burgundy leather easy chair, with my feet up, enjoying the AC. Life is good. If I spoil myself now, then maybe when the market drops a lot and I have to cut back, I won't feel so deprived. Does it work that way? :ROFLMAO: We'll see.

Last edited:
Freebird, tendinitis? more dental work? What a difficult week! My dentist is done with me until June, unless the temporary cap pop off my tooth.
Yes, tendinitis. I spent 26 years on the keyboard and got carpal tunnel, RSI in upper body, and tendon damage in both hands. The good news is all that remains is the chronic tendinitis. It is manageable if I remember to not overdo any manual tasks.

Dental w*rk today was the final piece of the pie. These pop-in partials are the cat's meow. Here's the company website for Valplast
Valplast® Flexible Partials with a photo of a fuller partial denture appliance.
Here's some images
valplast images - Bing Images

I have two Valplast partials - a single and double tooth. If anyone wants to see a photo of mine, I'll be glad to oblige.

Any takers ?:cool:

Last edited:
Played 18 holes of golf at my club. Lots of fun, nice people, but very windy, and my score is getting worse with practice! Lost two balls in water hazards, but won the lost ball pot for last week's game ($10).

⛳

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My dentist experience this week was somewhat interesting, but frustrating rather than painful. I got to my cleaning appointment at the appointed time. Asked how much I would owe them. Glad I asked. Last time it was something like $62. This time they wanted $150 something. The office lady was very apologetic, said they had just changed to a new pricing model. She had me (and the teeth cleaning lady) wait while she tried to straighten it out. After a while, both she and the teeth cleaning lady were on the phone trying to get a reasonable answer. After 45 minutes, we all agreed that when they got it straightened out, I would make another appointment. If that was their new price, I would find another dentist. That was a couple of days ago. Lost a nice day for house construction to the whole episode.

Speaking of nice days, the last two are the first days I worked without a flannel shirt on. :)

Rodi, my goodness! I cannot believe the injuries from your sons this year. Good thing you are retired and can get them all the help they need to heal. Hopefully they will be all recovered and healthy before your big trip.

I have spent the last several days in the garden. Hard work, but addicting, and rewarding...and I haven't even harvested a single veggie yet. Ran 12km this morning along the twisty, hilly, Gulf Island roads, soaking in the sights and smells of a burgeoning Spring. My fitness level is higher in ER than at anytime in my life - this is as surprising a development as it is AWESOME.

First day of lingcod fishing tomorrow and, weather permitting, I'm going to try to get myself 25 pounds of the best tasting fish on the west coast. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom