Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #13661
Recycles dryer sheets

Our second propane water heater was rusted out and leaking (I replaced the other one last year). Ack, that's two water heaters in one year- one for each half of the house, each 50 gallon. And just my wife and I live here. Anyway, this one is in the attic. Access from a closet through a 30" square hole in the ceiling. Oh yeah, and it's a 12' ceiling. Was able to remove it with the help of a wench (the rope and pulley type, not the female type). And I did it by myself. Now just need to get the new one up there and hook it up.

I see the wisdom in downsizing, but my skills mechanical skills are better than my persuasion skills.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #13662
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the farmers market this morning where we bought a big loaf of delicious rosemary bread. Talked to family on the phone for a couple of hours. Went out for dinner to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant for a bowl of pho. Looking forward to some ice cream while watching The Hobbit, part 2.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #13663
Moderator Emeritus

Left early this morning for a 10-mile hike in Muir Woods. It has been a warm sunny day so far, and the redwoods and waterfalls provided much needed freshness. Now enjoying a glass of cider while waiting for the new season of Game of Throne to start. For dinner, it will be steaks and asparagus from the farmers market.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #13664
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Left early this morning for a 10-mile hike in Muir Woods. It has been a warm sunny day so far, and the redwoods and waterfalls provided much needed freshness. Now enjoying a glass of cider while waiting for the new season of Game of Throne to start. For dinner, it will be steaks and asparagus from the farmers market.
Nice.

Enjoying the weather outdoors. Cleaning up around the house. Took the dogs for their evening walk in Cook Forest. I have Cosmos bookmarked for this evening.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #13665
Administrator

Sang a solo during Communion this morning. Spent the afternoon preparing for our upcoming trip to Venice.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #13666
Recycles dryer sheets

Did some repair work around the house and then....Absolutely nothing!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #13667
Moderator Emeritus

Made the winders look purty. DW happy. I'll do the valences eventually...

Attachment 18571
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #13668
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent the entire day (9 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) in Outdoor Training for Girl Scouts, so Thing Two's Daisy troop can do outdoor camping and cooking. Pitched tents, started fires, tied knots, lashed stuff, cooked food over open fire and -- my favorite -- baked a pan of cornbread in an "oven" made from a cardboard box lined in aluminum foil, using charcoal as a heat source. Not kidding. Totally worked.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #13669

Just felt a small earthquake a few minutes ago. Went looking on Google to find out about it and went to earthquaketrack.com and found out it was a 3.5 magnitude at the exact time I felt it. Also somewhat surprised how much quake activity is in my local area. Maybe that big one that gets talked about is really coming!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #13670
Recycles dryer sheets

Pruned my basil bush and made pesto. I made pesto for the first time last year, and couldn't believe how simple it is to make, and how much better it tastes when made fresh. Dinner tonight was therefore fresh pasta with basil pesto, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts., plus a salad and some toasted garlic bread. So darn good!

This is the recipe I used: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...o-recipe2.html
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #13671
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
What state/city are you in where the Muir Woods are? The hike sounds like fun.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #13672
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
What state/city are you in where the Muir Woods are? The hike sounds like fun.
Muir Woods is just north of San Francisco, CA:

Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #13673
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made a pot of chili.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #13674
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Put new batteries in the scale and figured out how to empty new vacuum cleaner and started a batch of bokashi.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #13675
Moderator Emeritus

Drove to Longview, TX and back (Houston) - 405 miles
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #13676

Attended the funeral of my uncle in DFW. He was a 28 year Air Force veteran, my mom's younger brother (she is still alive at 84), and a man for whom I had the utmost respect. The Patriot Guard Riders and a very professional U.S. Air Force Honor Guard gave him a farewell befitting a man like my uncle. He was buried at Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery, in uniform. I was honored to "loan" him the necktie from my Air Force dress blue uniform.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #13677
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Attended the funeral of my uncle in DFW. He was a 28 year Air Force veteran, my mom's younger brother (she is still alive at 84), and a man for whom I had the utmost respect. The Patriot Guard Riders and a very professional U.S. Air Force Honor Guard gave him a farewell befitting a man like my uncle. He was buried at Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery, in uniform. I was honored to "loan" him the necktie from my Air Force dress blue uniform.
Heck, we must have passed each other on I-20 at one time today...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #13678

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Heck, we must have passed each other on I-20 at one time today...
Oh yeah, I thought that was you.......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #13679

Went out to lunch with a friend. Started to clean out the garage, but wasn't in the mood. Read the news and played 'Castle Midnight' on the iPad. Ate supper and played RummiKub. Dug out the extension tubes for my camera and messed around with them, so I could post something macro on the photography thread. Going to bed...

Love retirement.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #13680
Moderator Emeritus

After yesterday's rather arduous hike, I spent the day puttering around the house. I cleaned up my desk, completed a watercolor painting, and worked on a book project. I still need to work on my tax return before going to bed.