what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent all day yesterday looking at assisted living websites and building a list of questions. The candidate list has been pared down to less than 10 and now it's time to start calling for interviews.

Yesterday we took our canoe to the river camp and paddled for an hour or so. DW decided that she didn't think she would be able to make it upstream if it was just her and her sister in the canoe for fishing, too much current in a few spots. Ordered an electric trolling motor from Walmart and will pick it up later in the week with all the accessories. (battery/battery case/charger)

Will also have to register the canoe with our DMV since it will now be a "motorized" craft. $10 per year for the registration after paying the sales tax. I'm hoping I find out I'm wrong about the registration but will see.

.........Will also have to register the canoe with our DMV since it will now be a "motorized" craft. $10 per year for the registration after paying the sales tax. I'm hoping I find out I'm wrong about the registration but will see.
I had to do this in Michigan.

Power boat! :LOL:

W2R and F can now visit in bathrobes and no need to drive. Such luxury.

Congrats on the new digs.

I spent all day yesterday looking at assisted living websites and building a list of questions. The candidate list has been pared down to less than 10 and now it's time to start calling for interviews.
You have my sympathy. I remember going through that drill looking for a facility for my FIL after he had a stroke. I found it a challenge and hope you have a less difficult time that we did in finding a place everyone feels comfortable with.

Thanks, everyone. :flowers: Got the certified check for the earnest money (deposit) delivered, and now I need to start packing up things I don't use on a daily basis. I will feel a lot better when the inspections are done (later this week) and my stuff is almost all in boxes.

Wow, that's a lot of places to check out. I hope you find just the right one for him without too much difficulty.

The best part is that it is right next door to F's house. So, barring the unforeseen, we'll be next door neighbors soon. :D Our houses will be no more than 20 feet apart.

:dance: :clap: :dance:

A covered walkway between the two houses comes to mind. Maybe a skywalk if funds allow? (just kidding, of course) :LOL:

Reactions: W2R

Based on my experience when I went through that drill in 2010, I would plan on at least a few hours at each place. Best of luck; it's a very trying time.

The day is still young, but it does not look like we want to do much today. We probably just stay at this coastal timeshare condo surfing the Web, and also watching some DVDs, something we have not done for a long time.

That bridge induced my inner acrophobiac...
Well, that bridge is really nothing compared to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yes, I took a video but my talent as a cameraman is a lot worse than my already lousy photographic skill.

A covered walkway between the two houses comes to mind.
Covered and enclosed.

For protection against the weather as well as to allow visits without changing into street clothes. :)

I remember W2R's original plan was to get a couple of homes within a short walking distance. This is about as close as can be, other than being both sides of a duplex.

Last edited:
Congrats, W2R! So happy this one (the one you *really* wanted) worked out. Hope all the inspections, etc. go well. Happy packing!

Reactions: W2R
W2R, Congratulations! Was Frank familiar with the house?

More to the point, did you tell Frank, yet? :cool:

Absolutely, he has been in on this from the start, and we have discussed it at length. He likes the idea, a lot. He hasn't seen the inside of the house yet, but will see it this week. I'll be interested to see what he thinks. :)

Went to PCP. He's been my Dr. for 15 years with the same wonderful Nurse. To say they were surprised I was released with no meds to lower my resting heartrate is a huge understatement. He's waiting on all the bloodwork(different hospital than where he's at).

Another EKG to confirm what the nurse was hearing with my pulse rate.

I talked a lot about dehydration with both of them. They weren't near as convinced as the ER doc that was the cause.

So he gave me a script for diltiazem(a calcium channel blocker). I go back Thursday.

🐑

Woke up at 8 a.m. because I forgot the roofers were coming today. Took another animal to the vet to the cost of $387 plus found out she has major plaque - again. (Last week, another animal friend to the vet for $350...seems $300+ is the magic number. This one has a fatty tumor - $1700 for surgery).

Now I'm home, listening to the roofers and wondering how the hell I will pay for all this, plus my normal bills, plus my taxes AND have money for savings...

I predict a large vodka drink tonight.

Detailed the inside of my car this morning... vacuumed, washed floor mats, Armor-all dash and center console, cleaned leather, etc. I'll do the windows tomorrow.

Ran errands this afternoon... got state inspection on car, went to bank, went to automatic car was for exterior, shopping trip to Walmart and even git in a test drive of a Toyota Venza.

Morning putzing around the house.

Had a nice lunch with a co-worker who is retiring in June - good lunch. Went to a local BBQ joint that has a good rep. I brought home extra baby back ribs so the family and I can do a side by side comparison to ribs I did Saturday.

Stopped by Home Depot on the way home to buy some drip lines to replace the pop up sprinkler heads that just waste water - got most of them in, some left for tomorrow.

Time to rest up.

drive son to school. Chiro appt, garbage run, spring clean the garage, drove to the lake for a walk with DW and darling lab. Home for grilled Costco filets with kids and sister visiting. Retirement month 2 starting well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just chores and trivial tasks today...it was 88F here. I turned on the AC. I did some laundry, dishwasher emptying, a little dusting, some cucumber seed planting, found a John Deere dealer for the oil filter and oil for the upcoming oil change, and downloaded some kindle books on gardening and menopause (trying to find coping mechanisms without doing HRT).

On day 5, my new Valplast partial dentures are not bothering me at all. It took a few days for the gums to get used to them, chewing semi-resilent food. I wore them all day today without any issues. I do believe I am ready for a steak. :dance:

Last edited:
Went to PCP. He's been my Dr. for 15 years with the same wonderful Nurse. To say they were surprised I was released with no meds to lower my resting heartrate is a huge understatement. He's waiting on all the bloodwork(different hospital than where he's at).

Another EKG to confirm what the nurse was hearing with my pulse rate.

I talked a lot about dehydration with both of them. They weren't near as convinced as the ER doc that was the cause.

So he gave me a script for diltiazem(a calcium channel blocker). I go back Thursday.
Well thank goodness! It sounds like your PCP is doing all the right things (I'm not a medical person, but at least he is taking it seriously and doing tests to get more information). Sounds like you are in very good hands.

As for me, I paid my earnest money/deposit on the house, signed an amendment to my offer saying it was OK that they accepted it 1.5 hours past the deadline, went to lunch with F, came home and assembled 12 boxes, packed 3, and then ran out of tape. :banghead: That's OK, I should ease into this anyway so I don't overdo.

Last edited:
Posted this on the MMM forums, so why not here?

Caught myself one of the best tasting fish of the PNW, a 20 pound lingcod on the first day of the fishing season. Soon after this picture was taken, I made some of the freshest fish tacos you could ever have. As summer rolls on, check this space for fishing, crabbing, and prawning pictures - with the always obligatory kayaking stuff of course. My first summer of ER is almost here!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 22
Today was a Home Depot fix up the house project day for us. I also worked on decluttering and watched a good youtube video on American clutter, as documented by university anthropologists:

I learned the U.S. has 3.1% of the world's children and consumes 40% of the world's toys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom