Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #13761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When it comes to crastination, you're a real pro.

When I do taxes correlates directly with whether I owe more or am getting a refund.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #13762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Power went out last night, then it snowed. Wasn't out too long, but it did get a bit cold in the house. A few more blankets....
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #13763
Give me a forum ...

Kind of a rant!

After my usual Tues morning workout at the Y, headed for breakfest at favorite diner. Lo and behold they put on the wall a video screen which does nothing but flash advertisements. Well, I expressed my total digust with the concept.

It was a nice old fashioned place. At this rate I may or may not go back.

I find this flashing video truly obnoxious. DW and I avoid any place with TV visible from anyplace in a restautant. Sports bars are absoluteley off any chance of a visit, ever.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #13764
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

When I do taxes correlates directly with whether I owe more or am getting a refund.
I pay absolutely no Fed income tax, a "privilege" of a retiree living on invested after-tax savings. Still, I did my taxes 2 months ago, and waited till today to file.

Oh wait! I have to pay state income tax still. They are not as generous as the Fed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #13765
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Kind of a rant!

After my usual Tues morning workout at the Y, headed for breakfest at favorite diner. Lo and behold they put on the wall a video screen which does nothing but flash advertisements. Well, I expressed my total digust with the concept.

It was a nice old fashioned place. At this rate I may or may not go back.
I find this flashing video truly obnoxious.
I wouldn't want to return to that restaurant, either! What a disgusting thing to put on the wall of a restaurant. I hope that does not become a trend.

Quote:
DW and I avoid any place with TV visible from anyplace in a restautant. Sports bars are absoluteley off any chance of a visit, ever.
Most of the inexpensive restaurants here have a TV visible, usually with sports on the TV. However, the TVs are often too small for me to see much, the volume is muted, and besides that neither of us has much interest in sports. So, we just get engrossed in our conversations and don't pay any attention to the TVs. We generally choose a table with a bad view of the TV and let the other patrons sit closer to it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #13766
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the Mall for the Walking Club I joined. Then went to Dennys to celebrate the April birthdays. Had an egg, one slice bacon, coffer & fruit.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #13767
Moderator Emeritus

I woke up late this morning because I stayed up last night to see the eclipse (it was cloudy and I could only catch a glimpse of the moon through holes in the cloud cover). After a quick breakfast, I went to mail my check to the IRS (I e-filed my return last week).
Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #13768
Administrator

Went to see the ophthalmologist today. She recommended I get cataract surgury.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #13769
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I am getting close, and I am looking forward to the day when I hear what you heard. It is a little scary to think about, but from what people say I gather that it is a pretty easy surgery and it really improves one's vision a LOT.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #13770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You will see the world in the colors it was meant to be. That was my experience.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #13771
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am getting close, and I am NOT looking forward to the day when I hear what you heard. It is a little scary to think about, but from what people say I gather that it is a pretty easy surgery and it really improves one's vision a LOT.
FIFY

Michael, please give us a blow-by-blow description of your experience. I'm not far behind you and a real wuss when it comes to having anything done to my eyes, so I need all the positive reinforcement I can get.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #13772
Give me a forum ...

REWahoo, I posted my results a few years back. All positive. With exception of needing 1.25 diopter drug store glasses for reading. I found a dozen or so at Goodwill fro $1.50 each. I now have several of these glasse in every vehicle, a few at my camp, and several scattered around the house and w*rkshops. The most pleasant result was colors.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #13773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mom had both eyes done when she was 80. We call her eagle eyes now. Huge improvement in her vision - 20/20 or better IIRC.

I have congenital cataracts in both eyes that have pretty much stayed the same for all my adult life. One eye doc said that as a result it is less likely that I will develop cataracts later in life, but other eye docs don't think that is necessarily true. I was born a month early and spent about a month in a incubator as an infant and some think that may have something to do with it.

I would welcome cataract surgery. i might actually be able to see my long golf shots land, have less lost balls and improve my scores.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #13774

How you react will be dependent on your prior experience.

I was VERY nearsighted all my life (started wearing glasses at six).
When I got my cataract lenses, I opted for distance only in both eyes, so now my experience is the reverse of all prior experience.

Before, everything beyond a couple of feet away was fuzzy without glasses, but I could hold something right up to my eye and it was like using a microscope it was so clear.

Now, it's all reversed. I need readers for close up work, but everything beyond a couple of feet is clear and distinct (like people with normal vision are used to).

I prefer the new world, because being able to drive and generally live without glasses is just awesome (to me)!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #13775

Quote:
REWahoo, I posted my results a few years back. All positive. With exception of needing 1.25 diopter drug store glasses for reading. I found a dozen or so at Goodwill fro $1.50 each. I now have several of these glasse in every vehicle, a few at my camp, and several scattered around the house and w*rkshops. The most pleasant result was colors.
I recall you describing the outcome, but it is the actual experience that concerns me. There was a recent thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1-a-71031.html that went into detail about the surgery. That's what I need to know more about.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #13776
Give me a forum ...

Had both eyes at different times. I was out for the actual procedure. As "part 1" notes, there was a plastic eye cover with many holes taped oever the eye for IIRC 3 or four days, mostly to keep fingers and FOD out, and for sleepinng, to prevent unconscious poking. There were couple of different eye drops for a while. No pain whatever. After a few days vison started clearing, a week or so later, near final vsion in terms of where near focus is lost. IIRC it was a month or two when doc said the final optical parameters are settled. Ie, the swelling of the eyeball goes away and the geometry settles, meaning where the focus point is.

There is the chance that inner shell of the lens will darken in time, in which case they zap it with laser. From all accounts it is painless. In my case maybe another 2 or three years may need the zapping.

If you have floaters, that will not change as they can not be done way with. The procedure does not create floaters as the inside shell of the lens container remains intact. I dont know what the proper medical term for that shell is.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #13777

After my normal morning 2-mile walk and breakfast, picked up DH from the auto body shop. He was sideswiped last Friday by an out-of-towner trying to find the local high school to drop off his kid for an event. Poor guy. But this is a major hassle for us, as DH has a custom minivan with a ramp for his scooter as well as special driving controls, so he's pretty much house-bound for the next week or so. The scooter comes apart and fits in my Prius, but it's a royal pain, and the seats are too low for him to be very comfortable anyway. Hope they get it fixed sooner than they estimated.

Then got caught up online (including this forum). Planned a trip in our RV two weeks out to see some museums in the DFW area, pending confirmation that DS will be around so we can take him out to dinner one night. Also e-mailed with my sister about arrangements for our mother's hometown memorial service and inurnment - although she died in February we decided to wait until spring so that other family members could more easily attend without fear of snow.

After lunch (leftover tamales and fruit salad), made a list and went to the grocery store. While putting stuff away, I decided to trash some of the unlabeled and desiccated "mystery meat" in the freezer (tomorrow is trash day). Then dumped the kitchen compost bin into the big one outside and bagged some yard trimmings.

Got my ticket for a big food and wine festival in today's mail - a nice change from the normal load of junk mail.

I guess yesterday's 10 minute toilet repair based on a YouTube video inspired me, that's a lot to do for a Tuesday. Well, won't get much done the rest of the week - 3 meetings downtown tomorrow then prayer group and choir practice, a board meeting, taking DH to the dentist and church on Thursday, yoga and Good Friday services (including choir rehearsal before) on Friday. Think I need a nap...
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #13778
Administrator

Seems this is a topic that affects many of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Michael, please give us a blow-by-blow description of your experience. I'm not far behind you and a real wuss when it comes to having anything done to my eyes, so I need all the positive reinforcement I can get.
A new thread on this by yours truly would mostly help members that can't sleep at night and need a sleep aid. Sure, I’ll start a thread in the next couple of weeks. It'll start with “now I have to find a doctor” and “which lens”.

what did you do today?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #13779
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

What I did today, was completely freak out when I checked my banking account online, and found that the IRS *and* Louisiana had both taken money out of it! My first thought was "OMG, maybe I didn't pay them enough last year and now they are dunning my bank account without even asking, how dare they! And OMG, the IRS must have notified Louisiana since Louisiana income taxes are based on federal income taxes, this is bad!".

Then I realized with GREAT relief that no, this was just my very first EFTPS estimated tax payment (and equivalent Louisiana electronic payment of estimated tax), which I scheduled for today several weeks ago. Whew, thank heavens! I am sure that NEXT time I will not be so taken aback.

Paying online like this will save me (2 x 4 x $0.49) = $3.92/year in stamps.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #13780

Quote:
A new thread on this by yours truly would mostly help members that can't sleep at night and need a sleep aid. Sure, I’ll start a thread in the next couple of weeks. It'll start with “now I have to find a doctor” and “which lens”.
Muy bueno mi amigo!