what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside the levee on 'high' ground! Right? ;) :dance::dance::greetings10:

heh heh heh - all my old New Orleans friends are in Covington, Bush, Carriere, Pearl River,Liberty Bayou, Picayune. :blush:. They got settled and never made it back to the city. :greetings10:

Right! We're a mile west of the 17th St. Canal. First time in the past 19 years that I have lived north of I-10, although just a few blocks north. I'm at 2.9 feet below sea level.
How's the house and your head?
House is better than great, list of moving in tasks is exhausting and overwhelming, head is fine but hurts (as does everything else by now). So, I am trying not to push myself so hard. We'll see how that works out. :2funny:

House is better than great, list of moving in tasks is exhausting and overwhelming, head is fine but hurts (as does everything else by now). So, I am trying not to push myself so hard. We'll see how that works out. :2funny:
It's good to hear the new home is working out. It is so easy to overdo it, make sure to pace yourself. You have plenty of time to make things right - in fact, you have the rest of your life. :)

Reactions: W2R
My usual quiet morning interlude with some coffee and English muffin before doing some bill paying and tidying up the kitchen.

Then a 5 mile-ish hike around Torrey Pines to get out of the house and get in some cardio workout (trying to lower my blood pressure).

Back home I supervised oldest DS with some landscaping work I need done..ahhh youth!

I did make us a nice lunch of left over steak sandwich meat, but finely diced to put into a quesadilla oozing with sharp cheddar cheese. Made up a bowl of fresh guacamole and added in a single small orange Thai chile pepper from the plant on the back patio....whew...deliciously balanced with some cheek warming goodness. Dang those quesadillas were yummy!

I tackled the downstairs shower - the plastic water guard on the glass door was icky with mineral deposits. Took that off and CLR'd it to a nice new look along with the glass door. Since I was in the mood, did a top down cleaning as well.

Will be starting dinner soon....

Two new experiences for me today. First I went kayaking with a group of ladies at the lake house. The kayaking is part of my routine, going out with a group was new. The group went at a *very* leisurely pace so I didn't get quite the workout I wanted, but I met some new people.

Later in the day, I found my first geocache. I went looking for two others but couldn't find them. Tonight I figured out how to find some hints online, so I will try again tomorrow if it isn't raining. Both sites are within a mile of my house -- just a nice little bike ride to start the morning. According to the map there are quite a few geocaches nearby. This may turn into a fun little hobby.

I decided to start working on a body off restoration that I've put off for some time as I just wasn't into the remaining 300 hours left to get it back on the road.

Just a bit of history, I purchased the car new back in 1975 and it's been sitting in my garage for the past 26 years up on jack stands. The only reason I still have the car is due to it's history and the fact my father came with me to the dealership to purchase it. He's been asking me for the last couple years if I still have the car and "My Dream" is to take him for a ride while he's still with us (age 85) as I know it will put a smile on his face.

For the car fanatics I'll let you guess what car it is.

[/QUOTE]

+1 for corvette. low floor, diff higher then floor frame. + the Photobucket description is a dead giveaway.:cool:

I'll take a guess that it's a corvette

The V-8 was what led me to think 'Corvette'. Not many other cars of that shape with V8's is there? Plus independent rear suspension.

-ERD50

Went out to find the two elusive geocaches. Found one but still cannot find the other. I saw this guy while riding between locations. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1436286444.704973.jpg

Wow, Philliefan - that's a big buck!

Baked cookies this morning for a Kairos prison ministry weekend (KPMI Foundation | Changing Hearts, Transforming Lives, Impacting the World). It's amazing that 36,000 homemade cookies go to this particular prison each time there is a Kairos weekend - every single inmate and correctional officer gets a bag of a dozen cookies.

Went to the grocery store, had a quick lunch and now catching up with things while DH exercises at the adaptive gym downtown. Didn't get much of anything done yesterday after DSIL and her family left at 0400 and I had trouble getting back to sleep!

Taking dinner tonight to a friend going through chemo/radiation. I never realized how hard it is to find a recipe for shrimp (her favorite) without garlic, onion, tomatoes, or spices (which aren't agreeing with her now). Finally found one with a lemon basil sauce that sounds pretty good.

Two new experiences for me today. First I went kayaking with a group of ladies at the lake house. The kayaking is part of my routine, going out with a group was new. The group went at a *very* leisurely pace so I didn't get quite the workout I wanted, but I met some new people.

Later in the day, I found my first geocache. I went looking for two others but couldn't find them. Tonight I figured out how to find some hints online, so I will try again tomorrow if it isn't raining. Both sites are within a mile of my house -- just a nice little bike ride to start the morning. According to the map there are quite a few geocaches nearby. This may turn into a fun little hobby.

I love Geocaching! Planning a road trip that will include stops to find some.

Got up early for an ice hockey scrimmage, went home and ran with the dogs for about one hour. We "hunt" which means chase squirrels, etc. Its a pretty good workout!
Did errands, tossed in some things into the slow cooker.

Poking around Vancouver, WA this week in anticipation of moving here next year. Took a hike at the Ridgefield wildlife refuge as part of the tour. So far, I like what I see.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Today was my Tuesday golf group. I had my best score ever at my home course. I wasn't really paying attention to the score but I knew I was having a good day and I was better than average at the turn despite the heat and humidity. Usually the back nine eats me up and spits me out, but I ended up scoring the same as the front.

Lunch with some golf friends at the club. Looked at some new vehicles on the way home.

Had Mom over for dinner tonight. Good day of retirement.

Drove 695 miles from KC area to Estes Park. Not too bad of drive, the two dogs traveled very well. They were not planned to go on the trip, the gal at the groomers was a no show when I went to drop them off last night. She called today to apologize, she was afraid of a tornado warning and didn't have our number with her to call. Didn't have the heart to tell her that warning was for a different area, oh well the dogs are having a blast. :D

Grilled up a 18 ears of sweet corn... mmmmm! Ate a few (too many), tasted delicious. Tomorrow we will clean the rest of the corn off the cobs and put some in the freezer to use with some wintertime meals.

I spent yesterday entirely indoors except for a few short ventures outside into 91F temp and very high humidity. I overheated very quickly.
My gardening buddy showed up to pick up some Biera Tronchuda kale seedlings I grew for him to plant in his ground garden. He helped himself to some compost tea from my compost tumbler and bat guano from underneath my bat houses.
We ate monster salads using leaf lettuce I grew. He tried to go out to my ground garden to beat down some weeds with a double edged weed cutter, but quickly gave it up due to the heat. I cranked up the AC in the living room and we sat in a nice cool room drinking Sangria on ice with fresh squeezed juice/pulp from oranges added to it.
I reseeded 3 lettuce window boxes over the kitchen sink. Too hot to be out in the enclosed porch where I normally do my plant play.

Mr B took his first test for the IRS certified representative - he passed. :dance: He has been in "finals week mode" for the past month or so, taking every practice test available online. He is now planning on taking 4 days off and getting back into it for test number 2.

Today has a forecast for rain. Gee what a surprise. :nonono: The lawn mowing will have to wait.

A friend gave me a non-working Kundo carriage style anniversary clock that belonged to her late brother. I cleaned the corrosion off the C battery contacts and got the 4 ball circular pendulum swinging, but the clock face hands won't budge. Lots of articles online about these types of clocks and how to start/fix them. I have taken this on as a challenge to figure out how to get it going again. :D

Last edited:
Drove 695 miles from KC area to Estes Park. Not too bad of drive, the two dogs traveled very well. They were not planned to go on the trip, the gal at the groomers was a no show when I went to drop them off last night. She called today to apologize, she was afraid of a tornado warning and didn't have our number with her to call. Didn't have the heart to tell her that warning was for a different area, oh well the dogs are having a blast. :D

Rocky Mountain National Park is a wonderful place. The dogs should love it. We rented a large cabin with friends at the YMCA of the Rockies several times while the kids were growing up. Always had a great time.

One of the first dates with the future Mrs. Hermit was a hike to Mirror Lake. It is a wonderful hike. She was surprised when I had packed a bottle of wine and two wine glasses along with lunch. Obviously must have impressed her. :flowers:

Woke up early today...6:30 AM and actually got up instead of being a bed slug. It's only 65F with low humidity, so I'm going to get some outside stuff done before it heats up. :dance:

I have a few pepper plants to transplant to 1 gallon containers, so that's up first. I need to reseed peas for the second crop. Then I might re-organize the enclosed porch, which is full of plant playing stuff.

Mr B is in full vacation from study mode. He got a bit burnt out from prepping for that test Tuesday. Study for the next test resumes Saturday. His goal is to have all tests done by end of August. It's doable.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are forecast for good sunny weather in the low 80s. Even though my boat won't start, I can still enjoy it at the dock. My engine repair manual arrived. I took a quick look at the remote control chapter and realized I am way out of my league if it is something more than a blown fuse, corroded or loose connector, or main breaker issue. Once I do the basic troubleshooting, it will be time to call in the experts. With luck, they can diagnose it right at the dock (located 2/10 mile from the shop) and get me back up and running again. No need to tow it off the lake unless it is a major repair, in which case I will leave it right where it is until the parts come in. I might be able to convince the guys to fix it right at the dock. Less time involved all around because they are my towing source, i.e. their truck pulls my boat trailer.

This is my little boat club. Nothing fancy, no dress code, all beautiful. The foothills of the Adirondack Mountains are the distant horizon.

Attachments

• 8-2-08  Clam Bake 023.jpg
    8-2-08 Clam Bake 023.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Off w@rk today for knee surgery. It should be pretty straightforward since it's arthroscopic to repair a torn meniscus and do some ligament stitching to keep my knee cap from popping out of place. Will be off the pickleball courts for 3 months but this knee has been giving me trouble for >20 years so fixing it before I retire is the right way to go.

Doc gave me a note that says I can be off work for up to 4 weeks. When I asked him why he said it was for people that work on their feet all day; thankfully I don't qualify so I expect to be back at the desk on Monday.

Off w@rk today for knee surgery. It should be pretty straightforward since it's arthroscopic to repair a torn meniscus and do some ligament stitching to keep my knee cap from popping out of place. Will be off the pickleball courts for 3 months but this knee has been giving me trouble for >20 years so fixing it before I retire is the right way to go.

Doc gave me a note that says I can be off work for up to 4 weeks. When I asked him why he said it was for people that work on their feet all day; thankfully I don't qualify so I expect to be back at the desk on Monday.
Sorry you need to have surgery Lisa.. My DH will be going thru something similar later this year. I guess we need to check out crutches and CTUs.

Hope you heal quickly. :flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks Bam. I'm already out of surgery and don't have crutches. Do have a huge brace but doc wants me walking on it as much as I can tolerate to get the blood flowing to my knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom