Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #14221
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Took the dead microwave and some other scrap to an E-Waste pickup/school fundraiser.

Made a few home network changes. I had some recent 'doorknob-rattling' activity on an internal firewall, which means that someone got past the router in the box from my internet service provider. I wired their router to talk to my own router and switch, and added a Raspberry Pi 'Kippo' honeypot between their hardware and mine. I put my router in stealth mode, so it won't respond to pings, and enabled it's firewall. The home computers already run secondary firewalls, and the the machine with financial records now uses AES-256 for all drives, including backups, and the financial records are unmounted (off-line and encrypted) whenever I'm not actively using them.

Next step will be to add a physical disconnect for the internal network when the honeypot is triggered.
__________________

__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #14222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Next step will be to add a physical disconnect for the internal network when the honeypot is triggered.
Don't know much about what you're sayin' - but I'm surprised you installed honeypots. No way would DW hang around without flush toilets...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #14223
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't know much about what you're sayin' - but I'm surprised you installed honeypots. No way would DW hang around without flush toilets...
Heh... It's a small container holding a messy surprise! Meets the definition of honeypot for me.

The internet service provider doesn't think there is a problem with their router, according to their phone support 'expert'. Meanwhile, back on Earth:

Backdoor in wireless DSL routers lets attacker reset router, get admin | Ars Technica
Easter egg: DSL router patch merely hides backdoor instead of closing it | Ars Technica
http://www.synacktiv.com/ressources/...door_again.pdf

And yup, their router is chock full of Sercomm software, and nicely responds to a knock-knock sequence to gain root access!
__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #14224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,422
Opened the pool! A bit late as I just started to weight-bear on my broken ankle. Now that I am retired, I have time to do this job, which I used to farm out, by myself. Seems like everything is good so far.
__________________
6miths is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #14225
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thanks, Dreamer. The incision is just uncomfortable right now.
That's good to hear, better than bad pain.

Found out the photo printer was taken out too when I tried to turn that on. Sigh.

Went out for a motorcycle ride, stopped at a drugstore for some reading glasses, and the bike wouldn't start. I cranked it at several-minute intervals, 5-8 seconds at a time so as not to fry the motor, until the battery ran down. Gave up and called a tow truck, so out another $80, actually very reasonable considering he spent as much time securing the bike on the flatbed as he did driving me back home.

Small world. The guy driving the truck was the son of a guy I used to work with 40 years ago.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #14226
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Heh... It's a small container holding a messy surprise! Meets the definition of honeypot for me.

The internet service provider doesn't think there is a problem with their router, according to their phone support 'expert'. Meanwhile, back on Earth:

Backdoor in wireless DSL routers lets attacker reset router, get admin | Ars Technica
Easter egg: DSL router patch merely hides backdoor instead of closing it | Ars Technica
http://www.synacktiv.com/ressources/...door_again.pdf

And yup, their router is chock full of Sercomm software, and nicely responds to a knock-knock sequence to gain root access!
You scare me, so I check on the Web and my router is not one with the backdoor. Whew!

And then, I log on to the router to see its log. What the heck! Some guy with an IP address up in Utah made several attempts to get to my Iomega file server on port 50500. Did he get in? I double checked the settings on that stand-alone server, and saw that I did not authorize access from the outside, over the Web. So what was that all about?

Anyway, I guess it is a kind of mischievous fun to set up a honeypot to attract flies. But is it possible to bring too much traffic to your home that it is like inviting your own DoS attack?

I am not an IT or network expert, but now wonder if the frequent lockup of that file server was due to its "lock being pried" by that unknown jerk. I had to reboot the thing every few days.


PS. Just found out the IP address belongs to Iomega Corp! Is this a case of "ET call home"? What are they doing?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #14227
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
He had an expensive UPS type surge protector on his very expensive computer and the lightening pretty much ate that and then his computer. I mean toasted. Well, the company that made the surge protector made good on their warranty and replaced his high end computer and all attached to it.
Do you know the brand of the UPS/surge protector with that warranty? Since it's a given that mine is fried I'm in the market for a new one.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #14228
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Looked at manufactured homes.
Packed for back to Ohio.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #14229
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You scare me, so I check on the Web and my router is not one with the backdoor. Whew!

And then, I log on to the router to see its log. What the heck! Some guy with an IP address up in Utah made several attempts to get to my Iomega file server on port 50500. Did he get in? I double checked the settings on that stand-alone server, and saw that I did not authorize access from the outside, over the Web. So what was that all about?

Anyway, I guess it is a kind of mischievous fun to set up a honeypot to attract flies. But is it possible to bring too much traffic to your home that it is like inviting your own DoS attack?

I am not an IT or network expert, but now wonder if the frequent lockup of that file server was due to its "lock being pried" by that unknown jerk. I had to reboot the thing every few days.


PS. The IP address belongs to Iomega Corp! Is this a case of "ET call home"? What are they doing?
And people wonder what we do all day...

The honeypot is only visible from inside the internet provider's router, and the router is set to supposedly not make any internal network devices or ports public. The idea is that when someone uses the backdoor in their router and scans the internal network, the only device that responds to the scan is the honeypot, and poking around that device will bog down the intruder, as it is programmed to be a... bit... sloooow... Eventually that will also open a relay latch that powers off my real router, leaving the intruder with just the hacked ISP router and honeypot. I just need to build that bit.

Your 'unknown jerk' is likely to be Iomega, probably responding to a UDP packet from your gadget. The Iomega Personal Cloud service lets your device check in with their data center, which then will take connections from you or folks you've granted access over the public internet, and forward those connections to your device. Your device may have the cloud feature turned on, but the router is blocking the port forwarding on ports 50500-50599. There's also HTTPS access on port 443...

http://www.thedostore.com/media/EZ_Media_User_Guide.pdf Pagee 78-79

So, that's what you'll be doing tomorrow...
__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 PM   #14230
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Your 'unknown jerk' is likely to be Iomega, probably responding to a UDP packet from your gadget. The Iomega Personal Cloud service lets your device check in with their data center, which then will take connections from you or folks you've granted access over the public internet, and forward those connections to your device. Your device may have the cloud feature turned on, but the router is blocking the port forwarding on ports 50500-50599. There's also HTTPS access on port 443...

http://www.thedostore.com/media/EZ_Media_User_Guide.pdf Pagee 78-79

So, that's what you'll be doing tomorrow...
But I had checked and reconfirmed that the "cloud feature" was off, just as I set it 2 years ago.

I will spend time to read the pdf file you provided. Thanks.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 PM   #14231
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But I had checked and reconfirmed that the "cloud feature" was off, just as I set it 2 years ago.

I will spend time to read the pdf file you provided. Thanks.
Off, you say? That's what they'd like you to believe! Would you bet your sweet bippy on that?
__________________
M Paquette is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #14232
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Do you know the brand of the UPS/surge protector with that warranty? Since it's a given that mine is fried I'm in the market for a new one.
Walt, I do not know, but will send him an e-mail if I still have his current one. It's been a while since we chatted and he retired a short while ago. If I find out, I will let you know.
__________________
aja8888 is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #14233
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 230
Ran Hawaii Ironman 70.3 (yesterday) Here is my update.


What a blast ! Even though I did not do the race as I would have liked I will chalk it up to a learning experience. Now that almost 12 hours have passed I can now think clearly and write a little bit about the race. First and foremost ... I finished.

The good:

The field was truly an international group of people who were incredibly friendly and supportive of each other. I was concerned about that as I saw people warming up in the days before on the highway with teams and matching outfits etc... Turns out once you are in the water it's just you and people became very friendly. I was so pleased to see how nice everyone was before, during and after the event.

The swim (still part of the good): I did a 38 minute swim which was not too bad (I was shooting for 35). The start was pretty good I found open water pretty quickly which made me happy. It was a little difficult spotting the buoys so I was a little off on the first turn (I kinda figured things out after that one) but what a traffic jam coming around that buoy ! We were crawling over each other. I was certainly conditioned enough as I finished the swim and was not overly tired. I took my time in T1, the bikes were really close to one another so it was a little tight getting going.. I would definitely work on my process prior to another triathlon.

The bike (still part of the good but going bad): The bike ride was great it heads out of the beach park and goes south for about 4 miles to a turnaround then north for about 24 miles. The last 5 miles prior to Hawi (the northern turnaround) are all uphill ! that’s the bad news the good news was once you turned around we had a tail wind and I was doing 40 MPH at one point. The going bad part is now that I think back about the race I believe I should have hydrated considerably more during the bike portion. Temps were about 87 F and sunny.. I lost a lot of water and should have probably done both my water bottles… turns out I did about half of one bottle and that was it… I did a 3:28 on the bike which was a little slower than I expected (goal was around 3:15) but not too bad.


The Bad:

Transition to the run was quick and easy and I really worked on trying to take it out slow. Unfortunately at about 2 miles I got hit with massive cramps in my calves. I knew I did not have enough water in me so I really tried to drink as much as possible at each aid station (about every mile). I was able to jog it to about the 5 mile mark and at that point I just could not run without cramping. This was rather frustrating in that I was not aerobically tired .. my legs just gave up on me.. The remainder of the walk/run I continued to try to get back to no avail… I knew I was going to finish but kinda a bust in terms of a respectable time. (I had been running sub 2 hour half marathons in training and ended up doing almost 3 hours). I managed to muster up a run for the last couple hundred yards but it was incredibly painful.

The best news:

I had a great time ! I love swimming, biking and running. I was so pleasantly surprised how great everyone was. It’s Hawaii ! What’s not to like about that? The scenery was beautiful riding the bike down the coast. I had waves of emotion cruising down the highway knowing what I was doing and it was the culmination of over 1 year of work. And even though I didn’t cruse to the run finish I had another wave at the 12 mile mark knowing I was only 1 mile from a goal I had set for myself.. Yep, I did it, I did it !

One thing I learned during this process is that the training is much more than a bunch of workouts. It is an incredible commitment to a goal overriding all other priorities in your life. It is a strain on not just you but your loved ones too. It is all consuming and during the last couple of months I certainly asked myself if I should just give it up. I kept to the goal and finished and I am very proud of that.
What’s next? I haven’t a clue. I think I will get my legs back and see where I am from there. I am not ready for a full, I know that now so maybe another 70.3 until I get it right ?
__________________
xyz is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #14234
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Ran Hawaii Ironman 70.3 (yesterday) Here is my update.


What a blast ! Even though I did not do the race as I would have liked I will chalk it up to a learning experience. Now that almost 12 hours have passed I can now think clearly and write a little bit about the race. First and foremost ... I finished.

The good:

The field was truly an international group of people who were incredibly friendly and supportive of each other. I was concerned about that as I saw people warming up in the days before on the highway with teams and matching outfits etc... Turns out once you are in the water it's just you and people became very friendly. I was so pleased to see how nice everyone was before, during and after the event.

The swim (still part of the good): I did a 38 minute swim which was not too bad (I was shooting for 35). The start was pretty good I found open water pretty quickly which made me happy. It was a little difficult spotting the buoys so I was a little off on the first turn (I kinda figured things out after that one) but what a traffic jam coming around that buoy ! We were crawling over each other. I was certainly conditioned enough as I finished the swim and was not overly tired. I took my time in T1, the bikes were really close to one another so it was a little tight getting going.. I would definitely work on my process prior to another triathlon.

The bike (still part of the good but going bad): The bike ride was great it heads out of the beach park and goes south for about 4 miles to a turnaround then north for about 24 miles. The last 5 miles prior to Hawi (the northern turnaround) are all uphill ! that’s the bad news the good news was once you turned around we had a tail wind and I was doing 40 MPH at one point. The going bad part is now that I think back about the race I believe I should have hydrated considerably more during the bike portion. Temps were about 87 F and sunny.. I lost a lot of water and should have probably done both my water bottles… turns out I did about half of one bottle and that was it… I did a 3:28 on the bike which was a little slower than I expected (goal was around 3:15) but not too bad.


The Bad:

Transition to the run was quick and easy and I really worked on trying to take it out slow. Unfortunately at about 2 miles I got hit with massive cramps in my calves. I knew I did not have enough water in me so I really tried to drink as much as possible at each aid station (about every mile). I was able to jog it to about the 5 mile mark and at that point I just could not run without cramping. This was rather frustrating in that I was not aerobically tired .. my legs just gave up on me.. The remainder of the walk/run I continued to try to get back to no avail… I knew I was going to finish but kinda a bust in terms of a respectable time. (I had been running sub 2 hour half marathons in training and ended up doing almost 3 hours). I managed to muster up a run for the last couple hundred yards but it was incredibly painful.

The best news:

I had a great time ! I love swimming, biking and running. I was so pleasantly surprised how great everyone was. It’s Hawaii ! What’s not to like about that? The scenery was beautiful riding the bike down the coast. I had waves of emotion cruising down the highway knowing what I was doing and it was the culmination of over 1 year of work. And even though I didn’t cruse to the run finish I had another wave at the 12 mile mark knowing I was only 1 mile from a goal I had set for myself.. Yep, I did it, I did it !

One thing I learned during this process is that the training is much more than a bunch of workouts. It is an incredible commitment to a goal overriding all other priorities in your life. It is a strain on not just you but your loved ones too. It is all consuming and during the last couple of months I certainly asked myself if I should just give it up. I kept to the goal and finished and I am very proud of that.
What’s next? I haven’t a clue. I think I will get my legs back and see where I am from there. I am not ready for a full, I know that now so maybe another 70.3 until I get it right ?
Congratulations on the effort and completing it. It's quite an accomplishment.
__________________
aja8888 is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #14235
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,579
Got a six-month reevaluation at the gym. I've lost five pounds, BMI is significantly lower, fat is down, muscle is up.

Apparently all the huffing & puffing does have an effect.

Also ordered a new photo printer to replace the fried one. Normally $389, the Canon PIXMA-PRO-100 has a $300 rebate when ordered with a pack of Canon paper. It gets good reviews so for $98 I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline  
what did you do today?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #14236
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,370
what did you do today?

Xyz - congrats on the triathlon!. And have fun in Hawaii.
__________________
Ronstar is online now  
Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #14237
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Got new homeowners, flood and umbrella insurance. Citizens (Florida homeowners of last resort) was going to transfer our policy to one of the local unrated insurers (that will probably go under and not pay in a major disaster).

The new homeowners and umbrella cost less and the coverage is better, the savings was enough to add flood, which we didn't have 'til now, and the total is still less.
__________________
MichaelB is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #14238
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Got new homeowners, flood and umbrella insurance. Citizens (Florida homeowners of last resort) was going to transfer our policy to one of the local unrated insurers (that will probably go under and not pay in a major disaster).

The new homeowners and umbrella cost less and the coverage is better, the savings was enough to add flood, which we didn't have 'til now, and the total is still less.
Woo-hoo! Believe me, I can really appreciate what a terrific deal you found! If Citizens is like Louisiana Fair (our wind and hail insurance of last resort), it is frightfully expensive even though sometimes it is the only insurance available. After living in my area for 18 years I have become a great believer in having flood insurance even if your area doesn't normally flood.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #14239
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,949
As for me, I had fun with numbers today (many here love numbers too and know just what I mean by that). I closed my May records of every cent spent, made sure the income and spending and balance left was exactly consistent, did all the usual categorizations and computations, and finally began June.

I like doing this and it helps to keep me grounded in reality. Maybe a little OCD but so what.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #14240
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As for me, I had fun with numbers today (many here love numbers too and know just what I mean by that). I closed my May records of every cent spent, made sure the income and spending and balance left was exactly consistent, did all the usual categorizations and computations, and finally began June.

I like doing this and it helps to keep me grounded in reality. Maybe a little OCD but so what.
Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after counting all that money...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did 2008-09 Results Help You Now? Idnar7 FIRE and Money 42 10-27-2015 10:10 AM
California Munis Closed End Funds tanked today, why? Disappointed FIRE and Money 10 01-20-2008 07:15 PM
Did you retire or Did you quit GTM Life after FIRE 19 03-09-2006 02:06 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.