what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We unexpectedly had DS as a house guest last night - had an enjoyable evening playing 3-handed cribbage (he's usually out with his friends if he's here for the weekend). Fixed blueberry waffles for breakfast - it's been years since I've done that, and the first batch out of the waffle iron was evidence :nonono:. Fortunately the rest turned out fine. He is taking a week's vacation from his engineering job to volunteer at a summer camp where he was a counselor for several years and headed out soon after breakfast.

Sang in an ensemble in church this morning, then headed to Petco for a rescue meet-and-greet - we are looking for a dog after having had a sweet poodle as a two-week house guest recently while her people were away. No candidates but met nice people and really like this rescue organization.

Afternoon nap, then cooked softshell crabs that I picked up at the farmers market yesterday (one guy brings gulf seafood in each weekend). Yum!

Long day. It was a warm, humid and sunny day in PA. I spent the morning putting together our programs for our concert this evening. Did a car juggling act. DH needed the van this morning to haul his keyboard equipment to the theater for the next musical he's doing which opens this upcoming weekend. DS and I needed the same van to pick up our band's timpani for a concert tonight. Drove out to son's work, then to the theater, switched my car for the now empty van. Drove van to the church where we practice and loaded it up (hauling timpani upstairs is not for the faint of heart!). Came home, showered, finished compiling our concert programs. Then drove to the concert in the park, unloaded the timpani and set myself up and warmed up (DS is the drummer, I play flute.) Weplayed from 7 to 8:30. Drove back to the church and unloaded the timpani (this time we had help). Stopped for fast food, which we rarely do. Came home and was thinking about going to bed at 10:30 when DH called. A mile from our house on the dark freeway offramp he struck a large piece of truck tire tread which damaged the bottom and made it undrivable. I drove my son's care out to get him and we arranged a tow truck. The tow truck arrives at 11:30 and I discovered I can't find my car keys. We look both cars, on the road and in the tall grass beside the road. So I call DS and ask him to start walking out to where we are with his set of keys. I walk toward him at the same time. DH makes arrangements with the tow truck driver in the meantime. DS and I meet in the middle and walk back to the car together. It's a dark road for the most part, with a cornfield on one side and farm house and large lawn on the other. A gorgeous night, no traffic or worries for a walk. So we get back home and figure out how to handle the car situation tomorrow morning.

The damage isn't too bad but we all need cars in separate places at the end of the week, so I'll probably need a rental.

What a day! Tomorrow morning I'll walk back to look for my keys in daylight. Then I'll walk back home--right past the open farmer's market, so I'll stop for some veggies. I'll make lemonade out of this yet!

Long day. It was a warm, humid and sunny day in PA. I spent the morning putting together our programs for our concert this evening. Did a car juggling act. DH needed the van this morning to haul his keyboard equipment to the theater for the next musical he's doing which opens this upcoming weekend. DS and I needed the same van to pick up our band's timpani for a concert tonight. Drove out to son's work, then to the theater, switched my car for the now empty van. Drove van to the church where we practice and loaded it up (hauling timpani upstairs is not for the faint of heart!). Came home, showered, finished compiling our concert programs. Then drove to the concert in the park, unloaded the timpani and set myself up and warmed up (DS is the drummer, I play flute.) Weplayed from 7 to 8:30. Drove back to the church and unloaded the timpani (this time we had help). Stopped for fast food, which we rarely do. Came home and was thinking about going to bed at 10:30 when DH called. A mile from our house on the dark freeway offramp he struck a large piece of truck tire tread which damaged the bottom and made it undrivable. I drove my son's care out to get him and we arranged a tow truck. The tow truck arrives at 11:30 and I discovered I can't find my car keys. We look both cars, on the road and in the tall grass beside the road. So I call DS and ask him to start walking out to where we are with his set of keys. I walk toward him at the same time. DH makes arrangements with the tow truck driver in the meantime. DS and I meet in the middle and walk back to the car together. It's a dark road for the most part, with a cornfield on one side and farm house and large lawn on the other. A gorgeous night, no traffic or worries for a walk. So we get back home and figure out how to handle the car situation tomorrow morning.

The damage isn't too bad but we all need cars in separate places at the end of the week, so I'll probably need a rental.

What a day! Tomorrow morning I'll walk back to look for my keys in daylight. Then I'll walk back home--right past the open farmer's market, so I'll stop for some veggies. I'll make lemonade out of this yet!

I woke up this morning and walked to the accident site to look for my keys--no keys. Walked back, started cleaning out DS's car to search for the keys and found a flat tire.

So today-change tire and get tire fixed or replaced, arrange for body work on the other car.

I'm too busy to w**k!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last, the same guy through AAA who towed the car at midnight showed up today to deal with the tire. He stared at us and we said: yep! It's us again.

Travelover,

Vancouver, WA is on my short list as a base. I would love to hear how you decided on the town, and what your experiences are as you transition.

Lagniappe

PM sent

EWGal, you are certainly getting your money's worth of AAA services! Too bad about the keys being lost, too.

I started to get hot flashes as a menopause symptom about a year ago, along with some anxiety attacks. My doctor started me on magnesium, fish oil, and a B complex and they work amazingly well. Haven't had a hot flash since that time and anxiety bouts cleared up too. I think it is mostly the magnesium. So I also swear by the stuff.

Stood in a super long line to get into the Van Gogh museum. Good museum but the crowds and lines detracted from the experience.

Tomorrow we'll go to the more kid-friendly Nemo Science Center.

EWGal, you are certainly getting your money's worth of AAA services! Too bad about the keys being lost, too.

Keys found in the towed car. Tire repaired. Rental car obtained while car in shop. Car towed to auto body place 2 miles from my home. Things are looking up. DH and I went to lunch after dropping off the car at the tire place. When we got home I did the only sensible thing: I took a nap.

Very nice, Sea Kayaker - thanks for posting!

EWGal - I got stressed just reading about your (mis)adventures. Glad all worked out OK (eventually).

This morning I wrote a letter for a prison ministry group, (finally) got OverDrive set up on my phone for library books, went to yoga, and picked up shampoo (and a few unplanned items, of course) at Ulta. After a quick lunch I drove DH to the therapy gym where I've been working on materials for a retreat planning meeting on Saturday (thank goodness for wifi in the lobby and a good battery on my laptop). When we get home, I'll fix meatloaf, a tomato gratin, and roasted potatoes for dinner. Knitting and American Ninja Warrior to finish off a good Monday is the plan.

DW and I continued our RE inaugural road trip, today hiking to see waterfalls in the Poconos. Now a draft beer and pizza for dinner!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Put DW on a flight to Lima, Peru for two weeks to visit with friends. Now contemplating what to do with my new found freedom! Maybe I'll start by changing my avatar! :D

Rolled my sleeves up and finished replacing the brake cables of my bicycle. Saved me a trip to the bicycle repair shop, plus learned something too.

Would have got the replacement done a few days ago, but didn't know there was a distinction between front and rear cables, so didn't have the proper length :facepalm:.

Went to the county tax assessor's office to apply for the homestead exemption since I turned 65 this year. There has to be some advantage to geezerhood! Made a grocery run on the way home and on impulse (rare for me) bought 3 rib eye steaks that were marked down because of a close expiration date. I cooked one on the grill for lunch - yum.

Treated to this sight while sipping my morning coffee...

Nice! I'm assuming coffee in the kayak, and not in your bedroom?

------------

Nice surfing today, though I didn't get a lot of rides because [-] my muscles are old, I'm out of practice[/-], the waves were bad.

3hq95hN.jpg

I had this funny experience: I had a big wipeout and got disoriented and turned around. When I came up the glasses were wet, and for three seconds I was sure I was about to get creamed by the biggest wave I ever saw. Turned out it was just the hills:

axk8URa.jpg

Sea Kayaker, I actually gasped at the first breach. What a beautiful sight!

Closed on a condo in Puerto Vallarta. Ho hum. NOT.

We are both very excited for this new chapter which has just begun.

Ah...I had a nice little vacation up north, but it is so nice to be home again. :D

Mr B and I are watching the All Star game. It's a great game, but we are both struggling to keep our eyes open. The bottom of the 5th will be about it.

I think I shall do nothing but play with my plants tomorrow. I never tire of that. It is a peaceful and rewarding hobby.

No laundry, no dishes, no cooking except to microwave something from the freezer leftover collection.

Yeah, that's the plan. :cool:

Great day yesterday. Golf with my normal Tuesday golf group and then a light lunch at the club. A little shopping on the way home, including lobsters.... DSis, BIL and a couple friends are visiting so we had a nice lobster dinner with corn-on-the-cob and then played dominos after dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom