Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #14341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Rain on & off all day so staying inside. Played with the macro lens and some close-up filters on a small flower plant. Macro is neat - you make discoveries. No claims about how worthwhile the discoveries are....

The arrow is pointing to what sure looks like a little butt in the flower.
Maybe the flower is saying "enough with the macro and butt out". lol

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #14342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I made a print for a friend and another one for a relative. Then I went out and bought some of those cube storage ottomans where the top inverts in to a serving tray. It seemed like a smart way to clear up some clutter while taking up no more room than my current serving tables do. Plus I can prop my feet up on the things and snooze.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #14343
Give me a forum ...
I finally got the neighbor's kitten to allow me to pet her. When walking by the house, I'd take a bit of salmon. It only took a few times to get her to come to me.
what did you do today?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #14344
what did you do today?

DH and I spent most if the day taking my 88 year old Dad to an ophthalmologist appt at the VA (Veterans Affairs) medical center in Cleveland, OH.

For all the negative things in the news recently about the VA centers, this one is run well and outside of it being a long day, I was very impressed by the place.

Ophthalmologist appts always involve waiting so I knew to expect that. The place was full of signs and people ready to help you with directions, assistance or a question. I got the feeling that all these veterans were appreciated and respected.

One of Dad's favorite parts of going to the VA is all the people watching and having lunch in the Patriot's Cafe. The 3 of us ate for under $12 and Dad always insists that he pays for lunch. He has asked me to keep his cash for him, it's his winnings from a long ago trip to Las Vegas. I think he won $1200 and it must have been in the early 1990's when he and Mom travelled a lot. There is still a few hundred left and he doesn't want to keep it in his assisted living facility, so I keep it for him.

I made sure he knew that I used his money for lunch and then he wanted to give us another $5 for gas since we had to drive in from out of town. He has no idea that gas is $3.50/gallon or more, he likes to think he covered our costs and that's just fine.

My sister took him to the VA once and begged us to never make her do that again! She lives right in his neighborhood, but taking Dad to the VA really interferes with her regular activities and she may break a nail. She's uncomfortable among people who don't dress well or drive nice cars. Anyways, she and her DH are in Spain and Portugal for 2 weeks.

DH has been taking Dad to his appts but Dad can't use his walker anymore and has been using a wheelchair since his most recent fall. DH said he could handle this on his own with Dad but I went along to help with driving and logistics.

DH said he really doesn't mind doing this, his own Dad died 14 years ago at age 70 and DH didn't get a chance to do these things with his own Dad.

My husband may be the best son-in-law ever!
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #14345
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You Texans are so high tech.
Yep, high tech rednecks
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #14346
Got my new Canon photo printer up and running, doing the color calibration process now with the Colormunki. (That's going to send some to Google!)

Went to a Fridays@Five Concert with DW for about an hour. Local businesses sponsor local bands to play in the town center for a couple of hours on Fridays in the Summer. This one was '50's and '60's music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back_beat.jpg (240.5 KB, 16 views)
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #14347
Recycles dryer sheets
Not yet, but later tonight plan to enjoy the night watching:

No human has seen tonight's full honey moon in almost 100 years

Creepy Full Honey Moon Fills Sky This Friday the 13th
Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #14348
I cut grass this afternoon at our house and at the DD's house (she was at work). It was in the 90's and humid outside. Nice!

It will be interesting to see what my new Fitbit recorded while I was wailing away at the two lawns for a couple of hours.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #14349
Went grocery shopping. Goofed off. Lost 3.5 pounds since Sunday ( gained 20 lbs first year of retirement lol). 11 more to go.
"Growing old is no excuse for growing up."
Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #14350
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched Mexico/1 vs Cameroon/0 , Spain/1 vs Netherlands/5 and currently watching Chile vs Australia!?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #14351
Brewed 10 gallons of pale ale and cleaned the house by the time DW got home from work
Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #14352
Recycles dryer sheets
Physical therapy today. Not only did I raise my arms above my head, I did it with weights in each hand and I did it over and over
Old 06-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #14353
Recycles dryer sheets
My wife and I are about to get a fire going on our Gulf Island property - the summer fire ban is soon to be imposed, so we have a hard day's work ahead of us to get the last of winter's windfall of branches and debris burned. We will be bustin' our tails, but at least we have a supply of beer to keep us going!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #14354
I sang this duet at a funeral service this morning. It went well.

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #14355
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I assume you are the one on the left?
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #14356
Give me a forum ...
Went on a local garden tour with a friend. The diversity was quite amazing! Lots of interesting goodies to try along the way. A fun day.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #14357
I am on a home hunting trip out of state. But am managing to work in some music

I am on a mission to introduce some newer music to the "mature" crowd: my pet projects are Nellie McKay and Lake Street Dive. I saw the latter at an outdoor concert Friday night.

It was in a natural amphitheater, park like, picnics, lawn chairs. Lots of kids, little ones with their parents.

They do this tune called "Seventeen" that was written by their bass player, Bridget Kearney (in my opinion one of the best bassists today, male OR female, plus she's from Iowa - Midwest power!).

The tune's pretty "poppy", but has a great hook. Every time they hit it, the kids all jumped up and started clapping, swaying. and basically gettin' jiggy wit' it.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #14358
Took the grandkids to see Chinese Acrobatics yesterday, then went out for lunch. Over to DD for lamb on the grill this afternoon. That and World Cup...
Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #14359
This day 1 of the kitchen and baths redo. We have 40 sheets of cardboard covering a lot of flooring, 5 zipwalls, a lot of the master bath and most counter tops are gone. There are a bunch of guys making a lot of noise. only six weeks minus one day to go -- if nothing runs over. I am impressed at how respectful the workers are both to us and to our belongings.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #14360
A few hours of kayaking, then stop at $tarbuck$. Took my winter beater truck for re-inspection, having replaced the computer which runs things. Passed.

Time to kick bck and watch the coming thunderstorm.

There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
Closed Thread