Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #14441

Gym day with DW, played with the new mat cutter that was delivered just as we were leaving for the gym. Tomorrow go to Michael's craft store for some mat board and start framing and hanging photos. I did order some mat board but it won't be here until next week and being a kid with a new toy I'm not gonna wait that long.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #14442

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have to say that an engineering degree does not mean much when it comes to practical matters. There are plenty of EE graduates, male and female, whose last time they held a soldering iron was in an electronic lab in school. Oh wait, some might never have held an iron, as they often use these breadboards in school labs. And then, many now just work with computer software, so they do not deal with "nuts and bolts" at all.
Hey - I resemble that remark. Not sure I had to solder at all when getting my BSEE. I started out getting an associates in electronics tech - and my soldering skills convinced me I'd rather be the one telling the tech what to solder, rather than soldering myself.

I have never had to solder on parts at work -though I have had to use the iron to remove part... much easier since you aren't worried about cold solder joints.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #14443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm tackling all the deferred projects. This morning's project (after a 3 mile walk with the dog) was to install the magic jack. I've had it for 4 months. Tried to get DH to install it but he never got around to it... so I decided to do it today.

Not complicated - except where our router is is not where our home phones all connect in to. Our old set up had the phone line coming from the phone company block on the side of the house - to a phone wire block on the garage wall - from there 3 hard wired extensions split off. I wanted to keep those extensions. So I needed to run the wire from the router, to this phone block in the garage. That involved fishing the wire through a soffet, then through attic crawl space in the garage.

No biggie - except I had to lean way into the attic space to fish the wire... and when I was backing back out - the ladder tilted out from under me... No broken bones but a few nice bruises where I scraped myself as I fell out of the attic (till I could catch myself on the edge and lower myself down. I'm sure I looked completely ridiculous.

It was fear I'd do something stupid that had me open the garage door before starting - so if I cracked my head open a neighbor might see me bleeding out and call 911. LOL. I always plan for the worst.

Upshot - my landline is now transferred to magic jack and I'm saving money. I have bragging rights with DH over actually getting it done. And ladders are not my friend. LOL
What, no pictures?

At least you are around to post about it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #14444

Mounted a ditch light on my winter beater.

What is a ditch light? It is a light mounted on the front bumper angled at about 45 degrees off the direction of travel, slightly angled down to see the ditch when foggy or in a snow storm..

Why? Last winter several times coming home at night in a blinding snow storm had a hard time figuring out which side of the road I was driving on. The fog lights were marginal help.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #14445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not sure I had to solder at all when getting my BSEE. I started out getting an associates in electronics tech - and my soldering skills convinced me I'd rather be the one telling the tech what to solder, rather than soldering myself.

I have never had to solder on parts at work -though I have had to use the iron to remove part... much easier since you aren't worried about cold solder joints.
Of course an electronics tech has to know to solder, even if poorly.

The truth is that all my soldering skills were self-taught, back from the age of 12 playing with vacuum tubes. In school through graduate program and work, I dealt more with areas in GN&C than hardware. I have done design work in analog, digital, and RF circuits for pay, but GN&C was where people paid me the most money. I still need to build something once in a while to satisfy an itch, if only just for myself.

Is there any engineer left who can read resistor color code anymore? It has stuck with me since early teenage years.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #14446
Give me a forum ...

Most of the equipment techs at megaconglomocorp just swapped boards when things went wrong.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #14447
Give me a forum ...

It is getting harder and harder to fix anything, and most chips now have a gazillion leads and require expensive machines to rework. And then, only the factory has the schematic and the design info to troubleshoot and locate the broken parts. And then the parts are impossible to get.

I have tried to repair a PC power supply, which is a lot simpler than a PC board. Without schematic, it is tough. In my teenage years, I would spend time to trace through the board and create my own circuit diagram, then studied it to see how it would work, then probed for broken components. Now that I am much older, and been there and done that, I ask myself why I want to spend more time on this kind of task.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #14448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is getting harder and harder to fix anything, and most chips now have a gazillion leads and require expensive machines to rework. And then, only the factory has the schematic and the design info to troubleshoot and locate the broken parts. And then the parts are impossible to get.
Yep, many of the ICs are proprietary chips that aren't available OTC. And when schematics are available, they're often wrong...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #14449
Give me a forum ...

On big iron the boards are simply recycled anymore. I'm sure there are diagnostics run for reoccurring issues. Sad, I guess they figure it is more cost effective then paying for skills to repair, test, warranty.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #14450
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of part availability, at one of the startups that I joined, we used a superVGA chip in our application, which was an industrial/commercial product and not a product for end users. By the time we had the product in production, that chip was obsolete and discontinued by the chip maker. Yikes!

They ended up spending beaucoup money to stock up on that chip for future production runs for the next few years, while trying to redesign. I had the same problem with another startup. It was tough being a little guy in the hardware business. Software business has practically no inventory, production, distribution costs. Warranty "repair" is not as costly, etc... We were in the wrong business.

PS. By the way, I was talking about something that happened 20 years ago. Gosh, time flies!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #14451

Some days ago dragged out an old DEL inverter 24-30 VDC in, 120 VAC out 500 watts max, weighing 150 lb. Yeah it was an old one, replete with 2N174 transistors on heat sinks. Still working. 45 Amp DC current draw at full rated output, Hmmm, not very efficient. No idea how many thousands of $$$ it cost new. They were rare items then.

Actual value $0.0 as a ups. Since my camp is 12VDC solar/battery based, could not use it. Nowdays inverters are around $ 350 for 5000 watts. weighing around 20 lb.

Ripped the unit apart, recovered about 40 lb of copper from transformer windings, about $2.50 per lb can get some $ out of it, and another 60 lb of transformer cores at scrap iron rates. Next time I head to the junk jard.

Now if I can figure out a way to recycle power transistors for some cash.

So never mind repairing some stuff, it is not even worth using even if it is working.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #14452
Recycles dryer sheets

Last weekend a group of us did some cross training by running up and down a large hill (1/4) mile for an hour carrying 50 lbs sand bags. Long story short, the hill was uncut and I now have poison ivy from my knees to my ankles! I am not sure if it was the repeated exposure, open pores from sweating or me getting to be a wuse as I get older but the itch factor is off the charts! I spent this morning at the docs getting corticosteroid cream and Atarax to speed up the healing process and help me sleep at night. The timing could not have been worse as we leave for a vacation in D.C. tomorrow. At least we should get good seats on any public transportation while we are there as my legs look like I am suffering from some sort of leprocy! Fun times......
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #14453
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Speaking of part availability, at one of the startups that I joined, we used a superVGA chip in our application, which was an industrial/commercial product and not a product for end users. By the time we had the product in production, that chip was obsolete and discontinued by the chip maker. Yikes!
LOL! I worked on a sophisticated in-circuit test system that drove generated binary data streams to device/board inputs, and monitored the output to make sure it was functionally correct. The system was built around 256 bit static memory devices to hold the stimulus patterns for each input.

256 bit memory. Guess how long that lasted...

When I left, they had done a redesign to use the 'new' cheapest part they could find, a 1024 bit chip, with 256 bits actually used. That part was being phased out by the vendor for 4096 bit parts... The control software was in FORTH and couldn't handle more than 256 bits. Oops.

Welcome to the Moore's Law hamster wheel. 1983...

Today is Happy Fun Analog Day, where I'm playing with antennas, signal processing, and other such radio stuff in preparation for a huge exercise this weekend, the ARRL Field Day activity.

I like this more than digital.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #14454

DW has the dining room table back, at least for a while. I bought a mat cutter for framing photographs a few days ago and neglected to study the dimensions. Set up, the thing is huge! The only place to use it comfortably is the dining room table because that's the only place that has good lighting and a table that I can walk around on all four sides.

While I also ordered a variety pack of color mat board those are apparently traveling from Australia via itinerant steamship since it won't be here until next week. So I went up to Michael's craft store and bought a few just to see what it was like to do mat cutting, but I don't have the colors I need to do the other photos that I want to frame. And the stuff is expensive at Michael's, $15/sheet vs. $4-$8/sheet online so I won't be buying much of it there.

Fortunately this mat cutter easily disassembles to a more manageable size and can be stored under a workbench in the basement. And DW does like the results so she'll tolerate the occasional dining room takeover.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #14455
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I rented a drywall hoist to sheetrock the ceilings of our attic loft over our new two-car garage. Only 10 sheets of roc, but lots of cutting, positioning, etc. DS came over to help, thank God. Anyway, it was one of the most humid days we have had thus far and I was sweating like a pig, but we got it done.

I usually like DIY projects but am able to take my time. But yesterday I was rushing to get everything up in order to go to a friend's for dinner and return the hoist as I had my golf league today so I was rushed and didn't enjoy that at all.

As sore as I was from all the overhead work, I thought I would have a bad day today at my weekly golf league, but I had an very good day (6 under net) and we finished second.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #14456
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Received a package of smoked fish, and mangoes from Florida.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #14457
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Is there any engineer left who can read resistor color code anymore? It has stuck with me since early teenage years.
Of course, but the short phrase that we learned to remember the code in our first EE class is nowhere PC enough for me to print here.

And all the techs I worked with early on were very patient to teach me good soldering techniques. Working late nights might mean I had to do reworks all by myself at times.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #14458
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLoft View Post
Of course, but the short phrase that we learned to remember the code in our first EE class is nowhere PC enough for me to print here.
I've spent my whole life looking for Violet.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #14459
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've spent my whole life looking for Violet.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #14460
Give me a forum ...

My early knowledge of electronics was self-taught, starting when I was 12, so did not know of any shortcut. After working enough with these resistors, I could tell their value at a glance, because with 20% and 10% tolerance, there were only so many values and the color patterns became instantly recognizable.

I just recall this incidence. A circuit I built did not work right. It drove me nuts! Then, when probing around, I found that one of the resistors was of the wrong value for what I wanted. One color band was slightly off-color and I took it as something else. Much swearing and frustration prior to that discovery. Arghhh!!! No, I was not color-blind.

PS. I did not grow up here to learn the bad mnemonic phrase. Indeed, I just looked it up on the Web. Yes, after all these years!