what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiddled about the kitchen this morning tidying up before going out for a walk at 9:30am to try and beat the heat that is still clinging on around here.

It was 39 this morning when I headed up to the Ranch House a bit before 6:00. It is supposed to be cooler tomorrow morning. :D

I'm working on a quick redecoration of the powder room. I painted the walls and replaced the TP holder and towel bar. I spray-painted the light fixture with black paint, and painted the mirror frame to match. They look good, so I think I will update the vanity cabinet by painting it black also. It's just builder-grade cabinetry so I don't feel bad painting over the oak.

I also have a new faucet to install. DH got out all his tools to start the install but then decided he didn't want to hurt his back by crawling under the sink. He said he will do it later...but he leaves tomorrow for a week- long contracting gig. So I played plumber and crawled under there and removed the old faucet. I've got the new faucet bolted on to the vanity and ready for the supply lines, but I'm waiting for DH to come home and decide whether we use the old supply tubes or the new lines I purchased. I have to wait because if I decide, it will be wrong. Once I know which lines to use I will finish the job. I think it's a little easier for me to get under the sink because my shoulders are a little smaller and I am much more flexible than my Iron Man hubby.

Whee-oh!...
Been spending lotsa time at Woodhaven, and haven't been watching what everyone was doing...
Just catching up on hearing about Nords, W2R and some of the other "events"... So glad y'all are going to be OK... We don't want to crowd the emergency rooms.
I helped support the local hospital a month ago with an impaired trip to the ER... dazed and almost incoherent with what is called urinary retention. Pain and double vision... made it just in time... whisked into a exam room and "fitted" with a catheter.... Instant cure... except that the follow up was wearing a leg-bag for two weeks. Never had a problem before or since, but now taking Flomax as a precaution. Before I left the ER, a doctor came in an told me I could have exploded and died... Wow... to top it off, he carried out the drainage bottle and told me I had set a new record... over 800 milliliters whatever that meant.
Nothing new to report... just a beautiful, peaceful life with zero stress. On my way back to the lake for a few days of work, exercise and being with nature. Gonna check up on my two mama deer and their five fawns. So tame I expect they'd let me pet them... babies are beginning to lose their white spots. I've even forgiven them for chewing up my newly planted crabapple tree last winter.
Off to the wilderness... and the early beginning of Fall... Kids back to school, so I'll have the lake and the 43 miles of roads to myself. :dance:

Just catching up on hearing about Nords, W2R and some of the other "events"... So glad y'all are going to be OK... We don't want to crowd the emergency rooms.

Update: Neither Frank nor I had any injuries, pain, or soreness from the accident, even later, so we really lucked out. At first the other driver lied and said we hit him, but after looking at the cars the insurance people decided his insurance company would be accepting full liability for the accident. So that was a big relief. Hopefully soon we can have Frank's Murano fixed in the shop and he won't have to pay a cent.

Sorry to hear about your trip to the ER! I am glad you are OK now, too. I am glad you are now leading a beautiful, peaceful life with no stress. That is just super.

I'll be back to leading a life like that tomorrow, after closing on the sale of my old house. Real estate transactions stress me out but that is almost over.

I'm sitting here surfing, waiting for yet more rain to arrive. This has to be a record for having a mostly wet summer. Silver lining...it is NOT snow. :LOL:

Tomorrow I am breaking out and going up north to the Old Woodsmen's Field Days in Boonville NY.
Yes, that is a real town name.
It is a very well attended event where lumberjacks and lumberjills compete in a variety of logging related skill contests. It is pretty interesting to watch the competitors as well as the spectators :cool:.
The concession food is always fabulous.

Details here...
http://www.starwebhosting.net/woodsmen/schedule.html

I have a lady friend who lives there, so I might just spend the weekend. I'm going to see if I can fit my bicycle in the back of my Escape. So much easier to get around on 2 wheels than 4.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here surfing, waiting for yet more rain to arrive. This has to be a record for having a mostly wet summer. Silver lining...it is NOT snow. :LOL:

Tomorrow I am breaking out and going up north to the Old Woodsmen's Field Days in Boonville NY.
Yes, that is a real town name.
It is a very well attended event where lumberjacks and lumberjills compete in a variety of logging related skill contests. It is pretty interesting to watch the competitors as well as the spectators :cool:.
The concession food is always fabulous.

Details here...
http://www.starwebhosting.net/woodsmen/schedule.html

I have a lady friend who lives there, so I might just spend the weekend. I'm going to see if I can fit my bicycle in the back of my Escape. So much easier to get around on 2 wheels than 4.

Speedy recovery!
Question.....how did she make out with the first one?

Thanks!

First one removed was a good outcome. That resulted in elimination of frequently running into immovable objects with her car!

This one should eliminate needing to wear a contact lens in the eye (hopefully).

(me? no evidence of cataracts yet at 71...must be genetics)

Closing on the sale of my old house was today, and all went smoothly. On the way out I got handed the biggest check I have ever seen in my life! The first thing I did was drop it on the floor because my hands were shaking so. :ROFLMAO:

After depositing it in the bank, I took F out for a celebration lunch. We threw caution to the winds and shared an order of strawberry cheesecake for dessert. How heavenly; haven't done that in years.

I am so glad to be done with buying my dream home, moving, and selling my prior home, all on a very short timeline. Real estate concerns are torture for me, because of the large amounts of money involved and because of all the hoops to jump through. Now I can return to (relative)sanity and go back to my peaceful, serene retirement.

Tuesday, for the first time I witnessed a hole in one. My neighbor on a 127 yard par 3. :dance:

The green slopes from left to right. He landed on the front of the green left of the flag and was rolling towards the hole and then it hit the pin and dropped in. Fun!!!

Glad to hear it.

I suppose you've been so wrapped up in your real estate transactions you missed out on the opportunity to give us a "Wheeee!!!" :nonono:

I was THRILLED to see that the market dropped so much, just as I got that check deposited! With my luck, it will rebound tomorrow. :(

Meanwhile, I am tempted to invest it all as a lump sum instead of DCA'ing, due to the drop. I might compromise and invest half of it tomorrow and DCA the rest.

Just returned from NC yesterday. Went down for a week for my granddaughter's birthday, who just turned 1 year old.

So much going on and I am glad to hear that Nords, BBB, W2R, Freebird and Imoldernu are all doing well. Life can turn on a dime. Nords is right and I really need to stop procrastinating on getting wills updated and the like.

Congrats to your daughter getting engaged Nords.

Congrats to your house getting sold W2R. You are now in your dream house and life is getting back to normal. Life is good.

Took my brother out to see a condo. Wasted trip (and 100 miles), the key left by the realtor wouldn't open the door. Then I packed 4 boxes of stuff from DM's house. Some things there I didn't know she had - memories from her past, things of my dad. A moment of mixed emotions.

The inevitable sibling issues also began this afternoon. Sigh...

The remodel project continues... Today I painted, which was not unlike yesterday, which also involved much paint. Tomorrow, however, I'll do something different, and paint trim.

Next week, for a change of pace, I'll be sanding and refinishing the stairway handrail. Then I'll paint the steel balusters and wall kickboard... with oil based paint. For variety, you see...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The remodel project continues... Today I painted, which was not unlike yesterday, which also involved much paint. Tomorrow, however, I'll do something different, and paint trim.

Next week, for a change of pace, I'll be sanding and refinishing the stairway handrail. Then I'll paint the steel balusters and wall kickboard... with oil based paint. For variety, you see...

So that's my problem... I've been putting sheathing on the roof for almost 4 weeks now. Two or three more weeks and I should be done! I will be able to do something different... Put sheathing on the Walls! :LOL:

Greetings from the Iowa State Fair. Did somebody say bacon?
20570529610_8c3679264e_k.jpg

Did the morning 3 mile walk.
Helped split a beehive.
Tasted the mead that is nearly done fermenting.

The fundraiser that DW co-chaired (and I inevitably got sucked into) happened last night and was a great success.... just a little accounting and a few straggling issues to deal with.... so I have my wife back.

We went with DD, BIL for a nice long kayak this morning. I'm ready for a nap soon.

We have a busy week ahead of us with a 2-day golf trip to Canada with 3 other couples, my regular golf league on Thursday, etc.

Ordered a fill-up of propane to prepare for the heating season. Pleasantly surprised by the price this year... $0.64/gallon. Lowest price since March of 1999, sure beats the 2014 fiasco where it was literally cheaper to run electric heaters than to buy propane at $5/gallon.

Do you put paper towels on top of the salad, and then the tupperware lid on top in the fridge to keep it fresh? DW does and I'm wondering if this is something she dreamt up or if others do it.

Tried this, and it works! The salad stays fresher much longer than without doing that, almost twice as long.

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom