Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #14461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've spent my whole life looking for Violet.
If you could have found her, she gave willingly

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #14462
Full time employment: Posting here.

Played golf yesterday for the first time in about 4 years. Brother in law is in town and likes to play- last time I played was with him on his last visit. Second nine much better than the first.

We played a local, 9 hole course (par 35) whose daily special was $21 including cart to play 18 holes (play the course twice). The original plan was to just go and hit some balls at the driving range but the range was closed for cutting so we decided to play a round anyway. My first shot off the tee was terrible as expected but I did remember which end of the club to use although from the distance it went, not sure it mattered which end I had used.

We'll probably play again as family will be here for most of the summer- yesterday was about 80 degrees with lower humidity, a bit of a breeze so really perfect conditions. BIL is here from Arizona so really likes the "cool" weather, lol.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #14463
Full time employment: Posting here.

Practiced docking the new pontoon boat in the slip at the marina. Not pretty, but got 'er done.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #14464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
After working enough with these resistors, I could tell their value at a glance, because with 20% and 10% tolerance, there were only so many values and the color patterns became instantly recognizable.
I had a friend with red-green color blindness who taught himself to distinguish the colors on resistors well enough that he could almost always get it right. Extremely impressive!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #14465
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My friend and I climbed Sentinel Hill for the first time this season. Then we hiked cross-country to the Capilano River and followed it down passed the "dogs off leash" beach, passed the 9 hole golf course and then alongside the duck pond back home. It was a beautiful day.

Then DW and I drove down to the Fraser to see our friend's new condo in Steveston and walked along the River Walk into town for lunch. Halibut and Chips outdoors!

Great Day!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #14466
Recycles dryer sheets

Slow start to the day, hanging out sipping coffee with the backyard buds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jun 2014 Morning Coffee partner.jpg (342.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Jun 2014 Browsing.JPG (469.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #14467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Practiced docking the new pontoon boat in the slip at the marina. Not pretty, but got 'er done.
Congrats! It doesn't matter if it's pretty - as long as you can get it in your slip.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #14468
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It was a rare non-rainy day.
Laundry on the line.
Picked first harvest: a cucumber; made salad using yesterday's delivery of fish.
Did more paperwork for finances.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #14469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've spent my whole life looking for Violet.
LOL. That's the one I learned.
(never liked the Red part.)

We were talking about this mnemonic at work - and one of the guys had a different one - it involved Batman, Robin, Gotham Bridge, and a sex act.

Now - with chip resisters, they're too small to print the color code on them.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #14470

Why all this talk of w#%k in a forum entitled Life AFTER FIRE? Lol. You guys are depressing me. I come here to avoid that stuff...

Goofed off all day, then went out and ate too much for supper. Ate part of DWs supper as well. With permission, of course...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #14471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
.... This morning's project ... was to install the magic jack. ...

Not complicated - except where our router is is not where our home phones all connect in to. Our old set up had the phone line coming from the phone company block on the side of the house - to a phone wire block on the garage wall - from there 3 hard wired extensions split off. I wanted to keep those extensions. So I needed to run the wire from the router, to this phone block in the garage. That involved fishing the wire through a soffet, then through attic crawl space in the garage.

No biggie - except I had to lean way into the attic space to fish the wire...
I'm just catching up on this, but if your router is near any of the phone extension jacks, the magic-jack phone output can be plugged into any of those jacks, and it will 'light up' all the other jacks in the house. You don't need to come in at the source. If this doesn't apply to you, it might help someone reading this.

The key is to be disconnected at the source, so the phone company isn't trying to feed signal into the magic-jack (they probably disconnected on their end), or more likely, that your magic-jack isn't trying to drive a length of copper wire between you and wherever the phone company pulled the plug.

-ERD50
Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #14472
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it's the start of a Canadian long weekend and I intend to live up to my message board handle and get the kayak out and see what's happening out on the Salish Sea - might post some pics. Hopefully will see some orcas, though one has to have luck on their side in the hope that a pod will swim by. Porpoises, seals, sea lions, otters, and a plethora of sea birds are sure bets to see. Sometimes eagles and ospreys will pluck fish out of the water just metres away from my boat.

This is why I strived so hard for FIRE - more of this, less of my soulless working life.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #14473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
My greatest challenge when docking our party boat, was the dogs jumping off when we were close and the force pushing the bow about.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #14474
Give me a forum ...

Newton's 3rd Law in action, eh?
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #14475

Trimmed the bushes in the front of the house before they could get too far out of control.

I was going to go on a motorcycle ride but it wouldn't start. While I keep it on a battery tender and the battery is only about a year old it almost sounded like a down battery, but with some odd grinding noises thrown in. I measured 12.5 volts at the battery a few minutes later and put it back on the charger. Not sure if the odd sound was just the starter running slower than normal or if it's on the way out.

Now I'm not sure if I want to bother fixing this myself or just have the shop do it. I don't have much in the way of diagnostic tools to figure out if it's a solenoid, battery, or connections (well, those are easy enough to check). To work on it in the garage I have to move DW's car out for room. Ever since it wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago I've been so PO'd about that I've been thinking of selling it.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #14476
Give me a forum ...

How about using a jumpstart cable to your car? If the weak cycle's battery is the cause, you will find out right away.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #14477

I was warned about doing that by the shop when I did it once before. For some reason the amperage in a car battery has a 50/50 chance to fry the electronics. They said don't use anything bigger than a lawn tractor battery.

Why that would be so I have no idea (why would it pull more amps than it needs?) but I will bow to the voice of experience.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #14478

Attended Antiques Road Show in Austin. Had them look at a painting of a clipper ship that my parents received as a wedding present back in the 40s. While it was not a big $ discovery, they indicated it was American, 1920s, nicely done, but they could not identify the artist. Value at auction $400-800.

We had tickets for 9:00 AM admission, but they let us in at 7:00 AM, and the appraisal was completed by 7:35. Fortunate for us, otherwise we might have been standing in line for hours.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #14479

what did you do today?

Our son came by for a visit this weekend. Went to church, breakfast, then a local car show. Took a couple of snapshots of James Bond's Aston Martin - the one with the ejection seat lol. Local guy bought it. Some other guy was trying to sell a DeLorean for $25k. Seemed mighty put out I didn't want to sit in it. He asked at least three times. Thought about offering him $16k, but was afraid he'd accept and I'd have to deal with DW.

"Gee dear, it followed me home - can I keep it?"

If he'd asked one more time, I would have gone around pointing out the defects he was trying to cover up, and explain why, though a particular year and model of vehicle may be desirable, an individual car may not worth diddly squat.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #14480
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was warned about doing that by the shop when I did it once before. For some reason the amperage in a car battery has a 50/50 chance to fry the electronics. They said don't use anything bigger than a lawn tractor battery.

Why that would be so I have no idea (why would it pull more amps than it needs?) but I will bow to the voice of experience.
At first, it did not make sense. But then if people have observed this problem, then it is the job of an engineer or scientist to come up with an explanation.

I now have a theory, but of course have no way of verifying it.