what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another training hike, again with heavy backpacks. I will freely admit it was less than high-ho fun. My shoulders ached something awful. The good news is I only intend to carry 33 lbs on our upcoming Grand Canyon backpack, 5 less than I carried today, so I think we are as ready as we will ever be.

Attended two college lectures in the afternoon, then returned home to enjoy an amazing dish I made over the weekend - risotto with sauteed mushrooms and roasted butternut squash. Spent the remainder of evening reading.

Pretty much a perfect day start to finish. Made me very, very thankful that I determine the fabric of my day now. We try hard to not waste a single moment.

Today I did a quarterly review of our financial assets and expenses for the first three quarters of the year. It's amazing how with all the market turmoil that our assets have grown nearly 20%.
We have a mix of funds and individuals stocks, and the individual,stocks have pulled through for,us this time. The bad news is we now need to worry about the possibility of paying estate taxes. We need to spend more or find a good cause to donate to. There are worse problems or have.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We came back from Lake Tahoe. We had dinner with friends, took in a show and a boat cruise around the lake. It is such a pretty place every time we go there we always wonder why we don't go more often.

Heading home after a great trip back east. 40th high school reunion in western MD, NASCAR race at Dover, nice visit with sister near Philly, and best crabcake in the world for lunch at G&M Restaurant near BWI. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444149874.927733.jpg

Now if I could just make some of the rain and cool temps follow my plane home...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Heading home after a great trip back east. 40th high school reunion in western MD, NASCAR race at Dover, nice visit with sister near Philly, and best crabcake in the world for lunch at G&M Restaurant near BWI. View attachment 22385

Now if I could just make some of the rain and cool temps follow my plane home...

Great that the trip was well worth it. Boy do I miss those crab cakes and soft shell crab sandwiches.:)

I have been to the Chesapeake Bay area quite a few times, and have had my share of blue crabs. But I have never hit the soft-shell crab season. Something to keep in mind to plan my RV trip there next time.

Heading home after a great trip back east. 40th high school reunion in western MD, NASCAR race at Dover, nice visit with sister near Philly, and best crabcake in the world for lunch at G&M Restaurant near BWI. .....

DW and I got stranded for an overnight at BWI one time and discovered G&M (recommended by our hotel). I loved it... talk about crab-cake heaven!

Hang in there Braumeister! You can still be an athlete (by my terms). Just choose easier battles. Shorter hikes with minimal elevation change. Take up bicycling. You'll find ways to keep fit, and maybe satisfy some of the athletic challenges you've always had. I've been a runner, skier and hiker all of my life also. But last year I quit running and now ride my bike almost daily. I've toned down my hikes also. Easy transitions into our elder years.

+1 Once we retired we started hanging out with people who are generally older than us (mostly through golf and the country club). Most are in their mid to late 60s and recently many are starting to get various ailments (knee, shoulder, a-fib, etc). Scary and makes me glad that I retired early while we can still enjoy being active.

Busy day. Met contractor at THD at dawn to buy stuff, slepped it over to my brother's new digs (3rd floor walk-up). Then went to DM's place to pack a box and interview a realtor. Went for coffee (and to calm down), then back to the condo, worked out next phase details with the contractor, then drove home in rush hour traffic.

Reactions: W2R
Busy day. Met contractor at THD at dawn to buy stuff, slepped it over to my brother's new digs (3rd floor walk-up). Then went to DM's place to pack a box and interview a realtor. Went for coffee (and to calm down), then back to the condo, worked out next phase details with the contractor, then drove home in rush hour traffic.

Why the need to calm down....realtor??

Michael - that doesn't sound like fun.

Started my day with a walk on the beach. We're in the middle of a Santa Ana - but it was still cool at sunrise. I've attached a picture of the sunrise over Scripps Institute.

That put me in a good enough mood to spend a few hours cleaning. Then I got the kids and had a meeting of my son's robotic team. They completed one of the missions - so we won't be tooooo embarrassed at the competition. (It would stink to have no points at all in the robotics game.)

Attachments

• IMG_20151009_063832_resized.jpg
    IMG_20151009_063832_resized.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 24
Most of the day was just the usual walk the dog, errands and household chores. We had to stop by Fidelity for some business and found out it was customer appreciation week so we got to collect some free snacks and swag.

For dinner we went to a Japanese hibachi steakhouse - the kind where the chef prepares and cooks the food at the table.

Why the need to calm down....realtor??
Sort of. Not because of the profession, more because this was a "hard sale" individual that wasn't going to leave without my signing on. Nothing against that, just a little tiring, as that's not really my style.

Michael - that doesn't sound like fun.

Started my day with a walk on the beach. We're in the middle of a Santa Ana - but it was still cool at sunrise. I've attached a picture of the sunrise over Scripps Institute.

That put me in a good enough mood to spend a few hours cleaning. Then I got the kids and had a meeting of my son's robotic team. They completed one of the missions - so we won't be tooooo embarrassed at the competition. (It would stink to have no points at all in the robotics game.)

Very nice pic! The sunrises here in SD have been quite spectacular.

I caught this one just the other morning
sunrise-10-8-15.jpg

Sort of. Not because of the profession, more because this was a "hard sale" individual that wasn't going to leave without my signing on. Nothing against that, just a little tiring, as that's not really my style.

I had to laugh at this because it reminded me of a similar situation from a number of years ago. DW and I were interviewing realtors to sell our house, and we had one guy who thought he walked on water because he was the top seller at his agency.

After listening to him brag about himself for about 15 minutes (he never even looked at the house, just came in, sat down, and started talking), we looked at each other and started easing him out.

After several false starts, he said "You realize that if you don't hire me now you won't have another opportunity?" I replied "True, but neither will you. Have a nice evening."

We laughed about that for a long time.

Yesterday..got up and swam for the 4th day in a row in my swim spa. Yay. I love it. When to an appointment, and got inspired to clean the kitchen. I ended up wiping down every shelf and the lazy Susan, threw away some very old food, reorganized everything, etc. stepped outside periodically to shock the swim spa, adjust pH and the like. Brought the deck furniture inside since we were supposed to get a thunderstorm. It was still partly sunny when I covered the spa, having finished the chemical adjustments.

2 minutes later, DH comes running downstairs to tell me to get the spa covered and I look out the window...thousands of yellow leaves blowing sideways and rain coming down in sheets. The next thing was a 5 minute hailstorm. Talk about timing!

A very productive day around the house indeed!ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444495005.160535.jpg

Had to run errands today in the new 3500 dually pickup. It won't fit in a normal parking spot so I was polite and parked on the outer edge of every parking lot so that my taking up two spaces wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on.

DH is out of town at a pickleball tournament. Not going to tell him until he gets home. No point upsetting him.

Last edited:
Must be kitchen cleaning day in ER land! After walking the dog and going to farmers' market (with dog!), I decided to tackle one of my fall cleaning projects while watching the Texas-Oklahoma game - clean out all of the kitchen drawers, wash the dividers, etc. Was expecting a really sad game, but Texas surprised everyone - especially the Oklahoma team!

We're going to the wedding of two church friends later - they are both widowed (relatively young - probably in their 50's) and their romance developed after he joined the choir a few years ago. Very sweet story, and they asked the choir to sing in the service, which will be lots of fun.

Finally got up the nerve to try my first brisket on the BGE. Forgive me for bragging, but it was excellent! Probably among the top ten I've ever had, and that was just my first. Now I'm prepared to include it in my regular barbecue repertoire and I can't wait to try my next one, with some variations on what I did today.

Finally got up the nerve to try my first brisket on the BGE. Forgive me for bragging, but it was excellent! Probably among the top ten I've ever had, and that was just my first. Now I'm prepared to include it in my regular barbecue repertoire and I can't wait to try my next one, with some variations on what I did today.

Congrats! Brisket is one of the 'toughest' to do right. :LOL:

Whole, point, or flat?

Any pics or is it all gone already?:D

Played chauffeur.

Drove DW and her sis into the nearby town for fort days. In English it means there is an old fort in town (mostly fake, as the original parts have long ago rotted away) where they do battle re-enactments, but for PC reasons those shot in the mock battles are not allowed to fall down, nor display any fake blood, let alone mock scalpings, as that my upset the sensitivities some folks. Along with the requisite parades through Main street, of any organization that can muster a flag and some marchers. There was about thirty of these outfits.

The real story is many vendors selling stuff to tourists, who arrive in the itty bitty town by the thousands. Immediately after dropping them off I got out of town post haste for coffee to a town about 15 miles away.

On the return the three mile standing traffic backup required me to exercise my local knowledge and take the back roads to get home.

Around 3 PM DW called for my chauffeuring services, I went and picked her and her sis up. Tomorrow the two of them are off for a few days to get pampered at some SPA, my gift to DW, her sis is on her own dime.

what did you do today?

Spent most of the afternoon working with CVS to persuade BCBS that it really wasn't too soon for me to get more prescription eyedrops, these being for my second cataract surgery.

Then when paying for my eyedrops, somehow I lost my wallet for the first time in 47 years. :facepalm: Argh. I cancelled what needs to be cancelled and ordered new health insurance cards. Monday I plan to get a new driver's license.

I needed a new driver's license anyway, that says I don't need glasses to drive. :)

So, that is what I did today.

Had to run errands today in the new 3500 dually pickup. It won't fit in a normal parking spot so I was polite and parked on the outer edge of every parking lot so that my taking up two spaces wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Just got home and some @ss keyed my tailgate! I am so over this town (Vegas). The drivers are dangerous, many people are rude... I'm ready to move on...

Sadly, there are psychopaths like this all over the world, who do this to people who do not cause them any harm. The worst ones become serial murderers, or looters like Bernie Madoff. There is no reason to think that there are more of them in Vegas than elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom