what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, at the 99c store I spotted some 28-oz cans of organic fire-roasted tomatoes for, what else but, 99c. How did they get them for so cheap? The label claimed that the tomatoes were "field to can" in 8 hours. Good stuff!

I have noticed that in our local area the regular, every day prices of many items at the 99 cent store, Big Lots and Grocery Outlet are the "sale" prices at Safeway and other big retail chains, for the exact same brands, same size packages. Produce is often 1/3 the cost. I never realized that until I had time to shop around more.

Went to the dentist for pain in tooth #19.
Have to go back in a week for a gumline filling.
Aging is crap.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Maybe Frank could get a better price? :greetings10: :D

Please detail what's wrong with the price I got, which is 1/2 to 1/3 the going rate for this work. Also list and specify exactly what work is being done, and what you think a good price would be for that particular work.

Frank was ecstatic at the price I was quoted, BTW, but then he knows what the price covers. Do you? If so, I'd like a prediction for the Dow for the next 10 years, thanks. :D

Last edited:
A couple tried to get to their lot today. They got stuck in the snow. I plowed the road up to behind them and we both backed out to a place where I could get out of their way. Then I plowed the road they needed open. It was tough going. Probably close to 2 feet of drifted snow in some places. It takes a few passes, but I can usually get through the deep stuff. Lots of fun! (but don't tell anyone.)

Went out at low tide and collected clams.

No photos of either the clam digger or the clams?

Last year, at an RV campground on the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, I had a chance to go clam digging, but then passed it up when I saw how much work that was, plus I did not have boots to wade out 1/2 mile into the muddy flat.

Also, the Bay of Fundy has the highest tide in the world at 55 ft, and not knowing the tide tables can lead to a disaster. So, I just stayed on shore and took the following photos. It was only by zooming in on a photo later that I was able to see that the clam digger had his ATV out there, that I could not see with naked eyes.

Last edited:
Woke up way too early and noticed I had a 'camelcamelcamel' email alerting me of a price drop on an item I had been watching on Amazon. It was for a vacuum cleaner I had ordered from them a couple of days ago, scheduled for delivery today, and the item was now a "Deal of the Day", $25 less than I paid for it.

Got on chat with Amazon CS and received a $25 credit - all before 4 am. :)

Assembled a new sawmill today. This is a very small mill made by Timberry who are owned by Woodmizer. If Woodmizer is the Cadillac of bandsaw mills, then this one is a Ford. $800 less than the comparable Woodmizer mill. Will be great for the occasional log that I come across. I sold my last mill which was fully automatic and full hydraulics a couple of years ago when I got out of the business. Two weeks ago I needed some wood for some projects and realized I hadn't paid for wood in 10 years. It cost me over $300 and I decided to find a mill for small logs. The picture shows some quarter sawn oak and some cedar that I'll use for signs. The cedar is from a tree that was down in the road on the way to our camp, had my chainsaw in the truck so brought a few pieces home. Guessing the woodworkers will enjoy this. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1449265937.093393.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1449265966.206856.jpg

Nice! I'd love to have something like that. And some place to dry the wood. And a bigger shop to hold bigger tools to make it worthwhile.

But that cedar looks nice, and I bet it smells really sweet around there. Every time I do anything in cedar I give the cut offs to DW to put in drawers and things.

Great figure in the Oak.

Silly question how do you edge a flitch on the Timberry mill? I have a visual of a tiny edger somewhere.

I cut the top off first, then turn the log 90 degrees so the cut edge is now against the back support. Then another cut, turn again, 90 degrees. Then just start cutting boards from the top at the thickness you like. With smaller logs and a decent cant hook, turning is actually pretty easy. I have a skid steer to bring the logs to the mill, then just roll them on. You can see one of the logs ready to roll on to the mill. I don't get too worried about sawing for the best grade- I have a lot of logs and some percentage of every log I mill will be quarter sawn for example and most can be put to use- the fireplace and wood stoves don't care about grade. I also cut logs a bit shorter than some people, 8' is plenty long for me and very seldom ever see a need for anything longer- makes the logs easier to handle.

The Timberry brochure says it will do a 26" diameter log but I think a lot of stars would have to align. Maybe a pine but not sure about an oak or hickory. That is a lot of bandsaw blade in the log with only a 9HP motor to run it. I think the sweet spot for this mill will be 12-18" logs- easy enough to handle but big enough to get decent boards. My first impressions are pretty good, plenty of power and potential for a hobby sawyer or someone that sells a few boards here and there. Next project is to build a lean to off the side of one of my sheds to set the mill up and get it out of the weather.

I know the drill about shop space- new shop here is twice is large as the old one and I have a new CNC machine on the way that will cause me to have to reconfigure the space to find a way to get it in!

I know the drill about shop space- new shop here is twice is large as the old one and I have a new CNC machine on the way that will cause me to have to reconfigure the space to find a way to get it in!
Is that CNC machine a router table? How big of a workpiece will it handle?

I was itching for something like that, but held off because of the cost. But since I've successfully fought off the new car/jeep/truck bug, maybe I could utilize those funds in another manner...

Once again helped my 90 something year old parents move out of their large home into a small retirement apartment. Unending hassle and stress but would rather do it myself than have someone "professional" handle it and charge them a small fortune. My sister is helping also. Both parents are mentally and emotionally limited due to age. My sister and I have had to step in to stop them from being ripped off many times. It's almost over. It's been both frustrating and exciting. I'd never have had the time if I weren't retired. My sister is also retired, thank goodness.

Getting my Christmas workshop projects done. 9 cheese boards and 2 cutting boards. Mostly from left over pieces of maple, cherry, walnut, and african mahogany.

22897245424_3a523448d2_b.jpg

23499441966_3b887de638_b.jpg

Getting my Christmas workshop projects done. 9 cheese boards and 2 cutting boards. Mostly from left over pieces of maple, cherry, walnut, and african mahogany.

Those are beautiful - handmade and a great use of leftovers to boot. What cool gifts. One of our kids just asked that we start exchanging only sentimental type gifts for Christmas from now on, which I'm all for.

Went to see Burnt, where Bradley Cooper plays a chef arising from the ashes of a meltdown to pursue three Michelin stars. Great actors, ridiculous story--maybe the good stuff got edited out. My favorite haute cuisine movie remains The Hundred-Foot Journey.

The Hundred Foot Journey was a great movie. I also recommend Chef starring Jon Favreau.

I liked Chef. But it was nothing compared to my two favorite cooking movies:
- Babette's Feast
- Big Night Out

Both inspired me to get more into cooking.

I had not watched any movie for a while. The above posts inspired me to check out The Hundred-Foot Journey, Chef, and Babette's Feast from the public library. I only watched one movie a day, and just finished all three.

I had not watched any movie for a while. The above posts inspired me to check out The Hundred-Foot Journey, Chef, and Babette's Feast from the public library. I only watched one movie a day, and just finished all three.

I haven't seen any of those. Which was your favorite? You might also enjoy Julie and Julia (about Julia Child).

Woke up way too early and noticed I had a 'camelcamelcamel' email alerting me of a price drop on an item I had been watching on Amazon. It was for a vacuum cleaner I had ordered from them a couple of days ago, scheduled for delivery today, and the item was now a "Deal of the Day", $25 less than I paid for it.

Wow. Good job for chatting to ask. I never would have thought of contacting them for something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Very nicely done! That's a great use for leftover small stuff.

Thanks - Yes it's great to get rid of all of the small leftover strips in a useful way.

Those are beautiful - handmade and a great use of leftovers to boot. What cool gifts. One of our kids just asked that we start exchanging only sentimental type gifts for Christmas from now on, which I'm all for.

Thanks - I've been making little things for family members for years. It's funny to see all of these things at their houses when we visit. It's best to keep them small.

I like your kid's idea on the sentimental gifts. They are more meaningful.

I love it. Very clever. I use camelcamelcamel to buy things but I never thought to watch for price drops afterwards. I just got a nice pair of Keen sandals I had on a camel alert for half price, now that the weather has turned colder.

Ronstar- those look great. I love end grain cutting boards and have done a few of those over the years for gifts and they are always well received. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Is that CNC machine a router table? How big of a workpiece will it handle?

I was itching for something like that, but held off because of the cost. But since I've successfully fought off the new car/jeep/truck bug, maybe I could utilize those funds in another manner...

Yes, it's a CNC router table, the new machine will handle up to a 4'x4' piece with a 6" Z axis. It's a CAMaster Stinger II and very easy to spend car/jeep/truck money on one of these machines! It has way more capability than I have at the moment but hoping to grow in to it. Won't see it until after the first of the year as they are built to order in Georgia.

I haven't seen any of those. Which was your favorite? You might also enjoy Julie and Julia (about Julia Child).

I enjoyed The Hundred-Foot Journey and Babette's Feast more than Chef. I could not help thinking the main characters in Chef were miscast.

Yes, I have watched and enjoyed Julie and Julia.

Yes, it's a CNC router table, the new machine will handle up to a 4'x4' piece with a 6" Z axis. It's a CAMaster Stinger II and very easy to spend car/jeep/truck money on one of these machines! It has way more capability than I have at the moment but hoping to grow in to it. Won't see it until after the first of the year as they are built to order in Georgia.
Nice! Stinger was on my shortlist when I was looking into CNC for my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom