what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes! I don't do exposed heights well. Just the picture makes me squirm.

I thought I was going to be squirmish too, but it's easy to handle the heights after you see a bunch a 5 year olds run out on the ledge like it's their living room floor.

I got my windows all put in today! :dance::dance::dance:

It got too dark for pictures. Hopefully tomorrow if the snow isn't too bad.

Great news, Hermit! No more indoor snow removal. Those days are gone. One giant step closer to move-in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

So is your house weather-tight now? If so, that is huge as you can comfortably work on the inside and pick off any outside finishing when the weather allows.

Not totally weather-tight, but getting close. I have some more soffit, doors, and garage doors to go. The cold came before I got the hearth done for the wood stove. I'll just keep working as I can when it is not too cold. Here are pictures of the windows.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1000.jpg
    IMG_1000.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 27
Put lime and fertilizer down on the lawn. Just finished watching Navy beat Army for the 14th year in a row. About to take the young wife out for her birthday dinner.

Started working on my baked gifts for friends and neighbors. Got 6 loaves of yeast bread and 4 gingerbread cakes done today. I'll finish up the rest tomorrow.

We watched the lighted boat parade & fireworks. Pretty nice show.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
Found a cool little bakery. On the sign inside was featured "vanilla bean bacon ice cream" so who could resist?

Warm crumbled bacon atop ice cream. Very good!
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450050132.483437.jpg

Mmmm, bacon!!!

Sang in three Christmas choral performances today - two lessons and carols services at our church followed by Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium (in German) with a local college choir (they have a community singers group that joins in for their major works). All with orchestra, so it was a wonderfully musical day!

Now I'm way behind on lots of things, but I'm having a glass of wine before I start trying to catch up.

I found the Drivers License Bureau, place had moved. Too bad not too many people knew where it was and it tended to be underutilized. Now it's being utilized, an hour wait to get the lens required restriction removed from my driver's license. Eye test was a breeze and I got to reduce the weight on my license by the 50 pounds I lost too.

I found the Drivers License Bureau, place had moved. Too bad not too many people knew where it was and it tended to be underutilized. Now it's being utilized, an hour wait to get the lens required restriction removed from my driver's license. Eye test was a breeze and I got to reduce the weight on my license by the 50 pounds I lost too.

That's great! Sorry you had to battle the crowds.

Now you need some non-prescription, super cool sunglasses to wear while driving. Summer will be here before you know it. :cool:

Mmmm, bacon!!!

Sang in three Christmas choral performances today - two lessons and carols services at our church followed by Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium (in German) with a local college choir (they have a community singers group that joins in for their major works). All with orchestra, so it was a wonderfully musical day!

Now I'm way behind on lots of things, but I'm having a glass of wine before I start trying to catch up.

Very jealous. We sang several particularly uninspired Rutter arrangements of Christmas music. I'd give my right pinky toe to sing some Bach.

Worked job #1 in the morning, including a fun and unexpected outing to verify a national food recall at some of our local grocery stores. (training a new co-worker, otherwise I'd just have made a few phone calls). Love getting out of the office.

Working job #2 this afternoon.... grading final projects. Grades due tomorrow morning. I'm asking myself, for the fifth year in a row, what idiot assigned all this homework...

That's great! Sorry you had to battle the crowds.

Now you need some non-prescription, super cool sunglasses to wear while driving. Summer will be here before you know it. :cool:

I've been looking. Funny thing I never thought much about sunglasses other than getting magnetic clip ons. They were an evil necessity not anything to look forward to. I may enjoy this process.

Living/dining hardwood floor refinished. Took them less than a day-and-a-half. Looks awesome.

Baked cranberry walnut bread this week. Some to have, some to give away.

Living/dining hardwood floor refinished. Took them less than a day-and-a-half. Looks awesome.

Baked cranberry walnut bread this week. Some to have, some to give away.

Yeast bread or quick bread? One of my standards that I give to friends and neighbors this time of year is cranberry-walnut yeast bread. This year I had tons of pecans so I substituted them for the walnuts. I make gingerbread cake too. I can only find small bottles of molasses in our area but my sister found this large one at the local farmers market. I didn't realize there were different kinds of molasses. She found "blackstrap" molasses. I used it and when the cakes came out they were very black looking. Turns out that blackstrap has less of a sugar content and is darker in color. I had some friends taste them for me (I had made these with extra pepper for another friend and I'm not a pepper fan) before I used that molasses for other baking. They said it wasn't as sweet as my normal gingerbread cake but said it was still good.

Best pizza crust ever, whole wheat came out perfect. Somehow I found provel cheese last week at grocery. Wow was that great.

I bought a 1992 Jeep Wrangler a few weeks back. I titled it to the kids camp. Got all the registration and insurance stuff straightened out last week. Caught a ride up to Denver yesterday and drove it back up to my place today. It has 192K miles on it, the brakes are weak, and the tires are bald. This is going to be a project car when I get the house completed. Something to do on cold winter days.

I took the Jeep to the local shop right after I got it down here. Just got it back today. The shop owner donated about $300 worth of repairs. I have an old set of tires that still have tread on them that will go on borrowed wheels for a while. The kids camp should have a pretty good running Jeep until I get time to start upgrading it.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 23
Good looking Jeep, Hermit! I wish I still had mine, but DW gave me the ultimatum - either the Jeep or the truck, not both. And I sold the Jeep. That was a bad day.

Good looking Jeep, Hermit! I wish I still had mine, but DW gave me the ultimatum - either the Jeep or the truck, not both. And I sold the Jeep. That was a bad day.

Thanks Ronstar. It should be fun to fix up/restore/mod. It also gives the camp a vehicle they need.

Had a gumline filling.
Very difficult for dentist and myself.
If not better in a week or so will need root canal.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I drove the Jeep out to the Ranch this afternoon. Did a 360 going around a tight, icy curve. That was exciting! Its not only tight, but also quite steep. The lady that cooks for the camp rolled her car on that curve a couple years ago. Fortunately for me, there was a very tall row of plowed snow all along the side that drops off. The real problem is the tires are bald. We are going to replace the tires and wheels with ones from a new type of Jeep. Just needed to get the Jeep back to the Ranch and out of the mechanic's parking area.

I flew a patient from San Luis Obispo CA to his appointment in the LA area. I fly for Angel Flight West as a volunteer pilot.

Yeast bread or quick bread? One of my standards that I give to friends and neighbors this time of year is cranberry-walnut yeast bread.

I misspoke. I should have said I made chopped "craisin" walnut (no knead) yeast bread as an experiment. And, I accidentally used instant yeast instead of active yeast. It was so good I've made it again.

DH makes the cranberry quick bread (recipe on the back of the cranberry bag). He grates lemon peel instead of orange peel, and he leaves out the eggs which makes it more dense, but that's the way he likes it.

Sorry to hear about your tooth, Khan - hope the filling does the trick.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer anything more than an accelerated heart rate, Hermit. Better stay off that road until the tires are replaced.

Spent the morning in line. First to the DMV to get my driver's license replaced (I think I dropped it on a downtown street last night when I got something else out of my pocket and didn't notice until I got home). Then to the PO to priority mail two Christmas packages. Finally went to the pet store to get some of their "homemade" dog biscuits. No problem getting there, but traffic was backed up more than a mile on the way home, yuck.

Down at the adaptive gym with DH now - we got a late start so we'll have horrible traffic going home, but it's the first day this week I've been able to drive him here so it's worth it. Planning to grill stuffed pork chops for dinner and wrap the gifts for under the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom