Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #15201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a date!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #15202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting ready to watch our son in the opening night production of 'Forever Plaid'...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #15203
Full time employment: Posting here.

Worked most of the day on replacing an old falling-down gate on a woods road leading to a good friend's property. He lives in Europe for most of the year, and I take care of his property when he is gone (beautiful lake property). Took a couple hours to get the old rotten post out........had to hacksaw through a bunch of old rusty metal spikes and rusty gate hardware first. Finally got the old post out, dug out the hole to the proper depth, placed the new post, and cemented it in place. Going back tomorrow to put new hardware on the gate and post, and attach the gate to the post. Lots of grunt work, but when it's all done, it will feel good. I'll send the property owner some photos when the project is done.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #15204

Went in to work for a couple of hours as my coworker had a doctor's appointment. Then went to my daughter's apartment and took care of my new granddaughter (born 8/18) while my daughter packed. Took new granddaughter to my house and DH picked up her 6 yr old sister from Kid's Rock. He gave her a bath, while I fed and diapered the new one. Then I fixed dinner and their parents came to pick then up at 8:30PM. Folded a load of laundry and browsing here. Also, DH took a contract to have our electricity in our house upgraded to 200 amp to the company that will be doing the work.
They closed on their house yesterday and we will be helping them move on Saturday. Excited to be getting the space in my garage and downstairs back, since we have been storing quite a bit of their stuff.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #15205
Recycles dryer sheets

Hanging out at home all day with 6 year old who is home sick with a bad cold. Aside from sleeping, we have made pancakes, created a few bracelets with beads, and practiced writing her numbers. Now we are having an afternoon Barbie movie marathon. So glad I can do this with her without worrying about work 😃
Old 09-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #15206

"Graduated" from cardiac rehab class. Really, that's what they call it. Most take from 18 to 36 weeks, I was booted out after 6. But I never actually had a heart attack so there was no damage to try to heal. And they could see me in the gym on days the class was not in session so knew I would keep up the workouts.

So now I'm back to every other day at the gym instead of 6 days a week.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #15207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
"Graduated" from cardiac rehab class.
Congratulations!

Let me guess: Instead of "Pomp and Circumstance", this was the music played at your graduation ceremony:

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #15208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
"Graduated" from cardiac rehab class.

Congratulations ! I am sure So will be starting that in a few weeks . I am amazed at how well he has done post triple bypass .
Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #15209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Congratulations ! I am sure So will be starting that in a few weeks . I am amazed at how well he has done post triple bypass .
I can't know what type he'll get but for me it was 45 minutes of heavy breathing from the workout I was doing. All cardio - a warmup series, then treadmill, a "hand bicycle" (for lack of a better term) and a reclining stationary bicycle. Started me out at 8 minutes each, in two weeks that went to 12, then the last three weeks 15 each. Some can only do a few minutes on each, others can do the whole 15 minutes each. They also have another machine there that I didn't use that has resistance to both hands/arms and legs.

It helped that a couple of the techs were easy on the eyes.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #15210
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was a trifecta...

1) Did my morning online banking and saw the automatic deposit for my first pension check has been made.

2) Took advantage of an absolutely gorgeous late September day to kill some time down by the river, pulled the dock out so it is ready for the inevitable winter weather. Much lollygagging without feeling any rush to get it done, enjoying the incredible fall day.

3) Put the tractor away and back to the house to hit the shower, and detected the aroma of fresh diced red peppers - DW is making her world class homemade pizza tonight!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #15211
Full time employment: Posting here.

Morning routine for my 'off' Friday from Megacorp in training for fire...
* made the morning coffee
* enjoyed the sunrise
* checked email and on-line forums
* swept the kitchen floors then swiffered them to a lemony freshness
* did some laundry
* went to the market to pick up a nice tri-tip for smoking on the bbq
* sipping something cold and enjoy a nice afternoon on the patio with some music playing on the stereo system (I may have to turn it down it, though....)
Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #15212
Give me a forum ...

We walked the dog and I made home made soup in the crock pot in the morning. We went out for lunch at a roof top, outdoor cafe. We're having beautiful weather here right now and we had pretty mountain views during lunch so it was a nice date.

After lunch we went shopping for new coffee mugs.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #15213

Went for a morning bike ride before it gets too hot. We have had 3 days of 94 degrees which is unusual for this time of year. Did laundry, cleaned my apartment and then worked on my telescope/camera setup.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #15214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
...I am sure So will be starting that in a few weeks . I am amazed at how well he has done post triple bypass.
I am glad to hear your SO is doing great. Modern surgery methods are truly amazing.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #15215
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nah, sour grapes. The sellers must think they are offering Versailles or the Taj Mahal.
Sorry to hear that, but there are always other homes out there. And you will probably find one you like more and less expensive to boot. Keep looking - lots of folks want to sell. Where we live there are so many For Sale signs sprouting it looks like a realtors convention is in town . Of course it helps that Metro, our version of light rail, just arrived in the area and lots of people have decided this is a great time to sell.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #15216
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Sorry to hear that, but there are always other homes out there. And you will probably find one you like more and less expensive to boot. Keep looking - lots of folks want to sell. Where we live there are so many For Sale signs sprouting it looks like a realtors convention is in town . Of course it helps that Metro, our version of light rail, just arrived in the area and lots of people have decided this is a great time to sell.
Yes, I will find other equally nice houses, you're absolutely right. It helps that I am in no rush. I am not planning to actively look, but I will keep an eye on things and if I find another house I'll do this again.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #15217
Administrator

I just picked up my very first pair of prescription glasses. I have needed drugstore reading glasses for about 15 years, but these are the first distance glasses I've ever had. It is a little disconcerting to see this well.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #15218

DW and I got our flu shots, visited with SIL & BIL for a bit, going out with friends for dinner this afternoon/evening. BIL complained they're always out of money by the end of the month. They had high incomes the last 15 years, now both are retired and are apparently having a hard time adjusting to the reduced income. But they sure had nice vacations among other things when they were working!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #15219

After being off of work for a week, I finally decided it was time to end couch potato-ness. Walked about 25 minutes each way, over the creek where I saw a couple of egrets but no herons today. I've got some pounds to shed. The township has improved the path in one area so I no longer need to pick my way among the weeds. I could easily enjoy doing this every day.

Two concerts to attend this afternoon, planning to grill dinner, and another swim today. In between lots of puttering. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #15220
Recycles dryer sheets

Earlier today finished a great 1 hour hike at a national park on my particular BC Gulf island. When we started the hike, the summit was wreathed in fog, but as we gained the hilltop, the fog magically dissipated and we were rewarded with this view. Portland and Moresby Islands in the foreground, the Saanich peninsula and Victoria not quite visible further in the distance. Gorgeous B.C. West coast day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (481.8 KB, 19 views)