what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a gumline filling.
Very difficult for dentist and myself.
If not better in a week or so will need root canal.

Khan, I am so sorry to hear about your tooth! I hope it gets better and doesn't need a root canal.

Last edited:
Had to cancel our Christmas trip to visit son and grandkids and we had to cancel our first post retirement 3 month RV trip as well.

DH's dad has been here since Thanksgiving and he's been having a problem with his eye. Turns out he has a complete retina detachment so is having surgery here on Monday. After surgery he'll can't travel until the end of February so will be stuck here until then.

Surgeon doubts that he'll get his vision back enough to safely drive across country so we'll be driving him from Las Vegas to Arkansas in early March.

I'm really disappointed about not seeing my son at Christmas since I haven't seen him in two years but taking care of DH's dad is more important right now.

Had to cancel our Christmas trip to visit son and grandkids and we had to cancel our first post retirement 3 month RV trip as well. ...........
That's really nice of you to be so supportive. I hope to be half so lucky when I get to be dependent.

DD and the grandkids are visiting for the holidays. I had forgotten just how quickly the activity level at home "gets up to speed" when children are around. :)

Thought about buying some engine oil at wallyworld. Then I thought about tthe mad Christmas shopping crowds.

Sat in the coffee shop instead, shot the breeze with other enlightened geezers while sipping Americano.

Saw Star Wars.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Today was too much like w*rk. Woke up and made 2 pecan pies (pie dough was made yesterday and was in the fridge chilling). All that before 9am... Piano teacher came at 9 for the boys lessons. Sent her home with a pie rather than a Christmas tip. (She is also part of extended family - so tips always felt akward and the pie is her favorite at family gatherings.)

Then hemmed 3 pairs of my son's pants... He'd outgrown his old school pants and the amazon truck arrived with the new ones yesterday. While I had the hand sewing stuff out - did some other minor mending.

Then picked a bunch of oranges that were ripe or near ripe. It's a tradition to have fresh squeezed juice on Christmas morning.

Finished decorating the tree.

Now it's time to watch the last of the Star wars movies as I get "refreshed" for the new one tomorrow.

Went to see the Nutcracker Ballet yesterday with DW, 2 x DD, 2 grandkids. After we settled in I looked around and saw, in our same row, 17 seats away, my sister, her husband, and my mother. We had quite the reunion.

Learned the difference between a leg of lamb and a leg of mutton. I have a leg of mutton, 13 pounds worth. Back to the butcher in a couple of days, after it thaws, to have it sawed in two, so it will fit in my roaster. Gonna be a very iffy Christmas Eve dinner this year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Age of the animal when butchered.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

So inquiring minds want to know... what is the difference between a leg of lamb and a leg of mutton?

The age of the animal. Leg of lamb under the age of 1 year and mutton about 2 years. The size mostly concerns me and how to cook it.

Got it. So lamb/mutton is analogous to veal/beef.

Kind of, for me Mutton is an acquired taste. I only had it once as BBQ, waitress smiled as I ordered it, now I know why.

Kind of, for me Mutton is an acquired taste. I only had it once as BBQ, waitress smiled as I ordered it, now I know why.

I despise mutton! I'll leave it to other, more patient people to acquire THAT taste. :LOL:

I survived the 7-night Caribbean cruise, and the air travel to get back home last night. The airports were like a zoo. I never had to travel during holiday seasons, so was new to this hassle.

Just now, stepped on the scale and saw that I gained only 2 lbs. What a relief!

what did you do today?

I really don't like lamb myself because of the gamey taste, but my son in law likes it. Now that I know have mutton and not a young lamb, I'm biting my nails for Christmas Eve.

I like mutton. And lamb, veal and beef. :). It does lend itself to slower cooking and strong seasoning, but it should make for a delicious holiday meal.

Mutton has a stronger flavor than lamb, but I like it too. When I was young we had it often when my grandmother was cooking. FWIW, mutton is supposed to be much higher in Omega-3 fatty acids than any other kind of meat --nearly the same level as deep sea oily fish. That's a good thing, health wise.

Just finished texturing a new sewing room for DW with all her embroidery machines and cutting tables. Sanding muddy and perf taping during the holidays suck! I pray the new sewing room turns out good!

Mutton has a stronger flavor than lamb, but I like it too. When I was young we had it often when my grandmother was cooking. FWIW, mutton is supposed to be much higher in Omega-3 fatty acids than any other kind of meat --nearly the same level as deep sea oily fish. That's a good thing, health wise.

I like lamb, and have not had mutton. I guess some dishes that call for braising with fennel, wine, or cinnamon would work well to reduce the gaminess. And about omega-3 fat contents, would that be due to the animals being grass-fed, instead of being corn-fed like US beef?

Not sure, but apparently it's the makeup of the fat, due to the sheep's metabolism.
2007 Australian research shows that mutton, of all meats compared in the trials (again excluding fish) is closest to the ideal 1:1, having a ratio of 2:1, compared to chicken at 8:1, and pork at 7:1.
(referring to the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3)
Much Ado About Mutton, by Bob Kennard

I really don't like lamb myself because of the gamey taste, but my son in law likes it. Now that I know have mutton and not a young lamb, I'm biting my nails for Christmas Eve.

I'm sure it will be delicious, but I think I would have an alternate maindish on the table too. Just in cases. Not everyone is as big a fan as Miracle Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom