Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Fraudulent Charges
Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #16421
Recycles dryer sheets

Fraudulent Charges

I can feel your pain and upsetment. My wife dropped her wallet/checkbook while we were traveling out of state just before Xmas. The people who found it had a very Merry Christmas going to Walmart, Lowes and even Walgreens. Fortunately several charges were declined--but purchases in the thousands were not. But to their credit, the bank and the credit card companies waived all charges against our accounts.

I had our credit frozen, new accounts done and even went with a dual subscription to Life Lock and Expedia. Unfortunately most of these low-life thieves are never brought to justice. Too far down on the crime totem pole, I guess.

We are set, but you never get over the violation!!!!

Good luck. prof12

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #16422
Recycles dryer sheets

Appreciate that prof12. That is the 3rd time since I have got back (in 11 months) from the States - nearly 6 years in Thailand, never had a problem. Bad thing is I have 11 bills on autopay that I am going to have to change. I have not been as lucky as you about getting charges waived. First hit was $2K, second hit was $1.8K and this looks like a $6K hit coming up. I guess I need to look into a credit card protection system when I get the new card tomorrow in the mail. Thank you again. Just got to keep chugging along and roll with the punches.

------------
My nephews (12 and 15) are coming down from ABQ on the train on Friday and want to go to the Monster Trucks this weekend - gulp. THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF MONSTER JAM - Event - El Paso, TX

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #16423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Binged watched House of Cards, read a book from the library with my morning coffee, walked the dog, won a $5 gift certificate, bought two new to me books at a thrift shop for a dollar each and stockpiled wine, chocolate, biscottis and other goodies and groceries on sale at Grocery Outlet. The Grocery Outlet bill has the retail price of all the products on the receipt. I spent $123 and it would have cost $132 more at a Safeway type store. G.O. has been a good find for our ER budget.

I bought a bag of chocolate chips to melt in some candy molds for a DIY chocolate treat project.

DH and I went over our retirement budget and plan, happy to be staying on track so far.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #16424
Moderator Emeritus

Started doing some writing and watercoloring right after breakfast and completely lost track of time. Before I knew it, it was 5:00PM and I had forgotten to eat lunch! .
Old 03-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #16425

We had the gym all to ourselves. Apparently no one else would drive there in 4" of snow. We probably wouldn't have either but I had a Dr. appointment a few blocks away so since we were out in it anyway....

So I guess the staff thinks we're true diehards for going to the gym in a snow storm. Either that or nuts.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #16426
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ripping up carpet, tack strips and staples from the carpet padding. Going to pull up and refinish all the baseboard, as well. Solid wood flooring coming in a few weeks, and I want the rooms repainted and ready the go.

Also spent time at a new shooting range, which can handle my high power handguns. Nice place, and they take safety seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #16427
Give me a forum ...

The tooth ordeal is over...I had that turkey tooth extracted today. I had to take antibiotics for an abscess, hence the delay in getting it extracted. The tugging feeling during the procedure kinda freaked me out but it came out cleanly. Whew!
I am doing only liquid food since there is still some tenderness. I did get some cottage cheese eaten without it getting over to the side where the tooth was taken out. I have all sorts of fruit and plain yogurt on hand, so I'll stick to smoothies until tomorrow.
Salt rinses start tomorrow. I can't wait. But I gotta follow the instructions.
I've lost almost 5 pounds in 2 weeks since it first bothered me enough to go to the dentist. There is a silver lining after all.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #16428

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The tooth ordeal is over...I had that turkey tooth extracted today. I had to take antibiotics for an abscess, hence the delay in getting it extracted. The tugging feeling during the procedure kinda freaked me out but it came out cleanly. Whew!
I am doing only liquid food since there is still some tenderness. I did get some cottage cheese eaten without it getting over to the side where the tooth was taken out. I have all sorts of fruit and plain yogurt on hand, so I'll stick to smoothies until tomorrow.
Salt rinses start tomorrow. I can't wait. But I gotta follow the instructions.
I've lost almost 5 pounds in 2 weeks since it first bothered me enough to go to the dentist. There is a silver lining after all.
Freebird, I had some dental surgery recently. This guy is a top surgeon. Teaches in NYC. He told me to drink tea, ice tea on first & second day then switch to hot tea if I prefer. Said it's great for healing. Didn't matter what kind of tea. I drink Lipton so that's what I used. Hope your mouth is better soon.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #16429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Freebird, I had some dental surgery recently. This guy is a top surgeon. Teaches in NYC. He told me to drink tea, ice tea on first & second day then switch to hot tea if I prefer. Said it's great for healing. Didn't matter what kind of tea. I drink Lipton so that's what I used. Hope your mouth is better soon.
I will definitely do that. I have some green tea on hand.

So far so good...some discomfort in the jaw but the extraction site is very happy. Lot of salt water rinses to help things along. I'm sticking with soft food until the jaw feels better.

Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest. I recorded some Star Trek:TNG episodes starring Leonard Nimoy that SyFy televised last week, so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket and watch Spock. \\ //
Old 03-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #16430

Quote:

...Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest... so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket.... \\ //
Sorry that you are not feeling up to par. But, you certainly have hit upon my very favorite way to deal with the "not feeling well problem".
You are, indeed, a born problem solver. \\ //
Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #16431
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting my ceilings fans upgraded today. Replacing single light bulb units to 4 light bulb units that have a remote control. The light from the single bulb, was just not cutting it. Also, replacing a hollow door to the garage to a fire door. Getting the guest bedrooms set up for the arrival of my nephews, after the fan work is completed. Also, having a under the sink stage 3 water purification system put in. Need to get groceries for a 12 and a 15 year, even thou I bet they will force me to eat out every meal.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #16432
Recycles dryer sheets

Choppin' firewood. Big ol' Douglas Fir came down in the wind a few months back. There is at least 3 years of fireplace burning in this tree. Might as well not bother renewing my gym membership for a while.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #16433

Bought some train tickets for our summer trip. Amsterdam to London via the Chunnel and Venice to Vienna then on to Prague. Cuccettes for the Venice- Vienna leg. I'm trying to grab the super saver rates as they are released but different countries and systems release in different windows.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #16434
Recycles dryer sheets

Handed in the paperwork to get China tourist visas for our upcoming trip. Very intimidating up-front process (so many questions to answer!) but once we got to the office, it went very smoothly - we were out the door 15 minutes after they opened! Visas should arrive on Wednesday next week. They kept our passports which was a bit disconcerting. But I'm sure it will be fine.

Stopped in at a sporting goods store I found an old gift card for ($25 I'd won at the company gym years and years ago, never spent it). Bought some new hiking pants for a grand total of $6.19 after using the gift card. They were identical to some other ones that were on the shelf for $70, but had been marked down because they were filthy (looked like someone had chucked them in a corner and left them there for months).
Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #16435
Give me a forum ...

Signed contract to have 12 of 20 windows replaced with energy efficient ones. DW and I agreed to do this on the spur of the moment when seeing a neighbor down the street had that done. Cost: $13K.

Would we be happier spending that money on a toy like a slightly used Nissan Leaf? Oh well, we are out of parking space for another vehicle anyway.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #16436

Quote:
I will definitely do that. I have some green tea on hand.

So far so good...some discomfort in the jaw but the extraction site is very happy. Lot of salt water rinses to help things along. I'm sticking with soft food until the jaw feels better.

Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest. I recorded some Star Trek:TNG episodes starring Leonard Nimoy that SyFy televised last week, so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket and watch Spock. \\ //

Found a good interview of Nimoy:

http://youtu.be/kP_lWe9uhs8

Thought you might like it. It's a two parter...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #16437
Moderator Emeritus

Accompanied DH to a cardiac catheterization procedure to screen him for a leaky valve repair in early summer. All is good except for the already-known enlarged area. The procedure was through his wrist--pretty cool what medicine can do today.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #16438
Give me a forum ...

Today is a good day to sit and watch pre-season baseball with Mr B. No Legion stuff, no studying, no tax preparation...just a do nothing day for him. He's been on a steady roll with few breaks for weeks now.
I convinced Mr B to stretch out on the leather couch, covered him with a blanket, and lowered the TV volume a little. He is now enjoying a cozy afternoon 100% lazy time. That leather couch has been known to put a person right to sleep. He won't last long.

I've graduated to semi-soft food. I made some really good ground shrimp patties for dipping into soy sauce. Today I made some ground chicken breast patties to dip into Chinese duck sauce for dinner tonight. I may not be able to chew too well but I am not starving.

A very light snow is falling...monster flakes that float like little geometric parachutes down to the ground. Beautiful to watch.

Retirement doesn't get much better that this.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #16439
Administrator

The weather warmed up to the 60's, the sunshine is brilliant, and it is a spectacularly beautiful Saturday after the cold and gloomy weather earlier this week. So, after sharing a grilled shrimp po'boy at an old timey restaurant, we decided to go for a long pleasure drive through the middle of New Orleans.

Unfortunately, every other resident of New Orleans had exactly the same idea. The traffic was crazy. Canal St., St. Charles Ave, and even Claiborne were all pretty well clogged up. Also nearly every street I chose seemed to be under construction (oh, oops! ). We waited forever for a train to pass by, too.

We still enjoyed our long pleasure drive, but I must admit that after battling traffic for an hour or two it is wonderful to be back home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #16440

Grandkids day 3. I'm worn out.