Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #17021

W2R - that looks nice and comfy. Enjoy it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #17022
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rodi, I hope your sons heal well to be ready for that long European trip.

We climbed up the Astoria column. The view from the top of the surrounding was just beautiful: one could see across the Columbia River to the Washington State shore, and to the south Youngs Bay with Youngs River and Lewis and Clark River. The following photo is of Astoria downtown and the Astoria-Megler Bridge. There was no way to capture the 360-degree view.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #17023
Give me a forum ...

We had a picnic at a public garden with a Redwood grove and views of the bay.

My decluttering project for the day was getting rid of a big box of gift bags. In the spirit of minimalism, I'm giving away all my Christmas and birthday themed gift bags and just keeping a reasonable amount of all occasion bags in festive colors like silver and red I can use for any holiday or event. I don't know how we got to have such a big box of gift bags. I did restock recently on more all occasion wine gift bags from the dollar store since we do use those up. I'm giving away a lot of the large toy size bags, since our kids are no longer in the toy age range and we usually just give "green" gifts these days of consumables like chocolate and wine or gift cards.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #17024

Took my old garden trailer and rain barrel to the neighbors for a garage sale. Wired my electric panel and backup generator panel. Took the boat for its first 2015 ride.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #17025
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, DW, I and some of her St. Louis relatives walked around the shops and historic buildings of Historic St. Louis for one half the day. Went to grand niece's wedding in the evening. Will be heading back to Texas later today.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #17026
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We climbed up the Astoria column. The view from the top of the surrounding was just beautiful: one could see across the Columbia River to the Washington State shore, and to the south Youngs Bay with Youngs River and Lewis and Clark River. The following photo is of Astoria downtown and the Astoria-Megler Bridge. There was no way to capture the 360-degree view.

That bridge induced my inner acrophobiac...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #17027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Video?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #17028
Give me a forum ...

Spent the afternoon in the ER. Haven't been able to catch my breath for the last couple days. Along with that my resting heart rate has been at 90 bpm. Anytime I walked up a flight of steps it would spike to 130. Those numbers aren't near normal for me.

Finally got concerned enough to have DW drive me out to ER. EKG, blood work, and chest x-ray and some Oxygen test. Gave me an IV with fluids and 1mg. Lorazpam. Suggested I was dehydrated, given the amount of water I drink, I have a hard time with that line of thinking.

Discharged with orders to see my PCP. Diagnosis written as "Heart pounding, shortness of breath and Sinus tachycardia". Geeze here I ignorantly thought the diagnosis would contain something I didn't tell them in triage(OK I had to google Sinus tachycardia, but it's what I said). I already had an appointment to see my PCP this Thursday. Guess I won't keel over till then. Or if I do DW can put what she collects in CDs, not have any worries.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #17029
Give me a forum ...

Spent about a hour and a half this morning picking up litter along our rural road. Collected a whole bag and a half of litter, mostly beer and soft drink bottles and cans, water bottles, etc., but also a utility trailer sized tire and a rear bicycle tire. While I realize that some of it is unintentional, perhaps things that blew out of truck beds or whatever, I'm guessing that 90% of it is intentional. People are such pigs.

Then went to the trash/recycling center and stopped at the store and bought a nice 2" thick boneless rib-eye steak for grilling for dinner tonight.

Also, stopped in to see a jet ski lift with a canopy that someone had for sale and decided to buy it. I'll need to pick it up sometime next week.

Also got started in getting the docks ready to go in. They'll go in as soon as the ice totally clears from the lake, probably in a couple days and with DW and a neighbor's help, we pushed a boat lift we are selling to a neighbor over to his lot.

I'm bushed and having a beer while getting ready to watch the Kentucky Derby.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #17030

Yesterday afternoon took the RV out to a Corps of Engineers campground about an hour from home for a test night with DH's new power wheelchair. Beautiful spring weather - lots of Texas (Indian) Paintbrush and Pink Evening Primrose blooming. Saw several hummingbirds and captured a swallowtail on slo-mo video (recent feature on iPhone). Pretty cool. Today we were eating lunch at the picnic table and three butterflies landed on DH's sandwich - while he was eating!

Good news is that everything worked out well and we're ready for a multi-night trip. Maybe we'll even be able to work back up to a week or more (haven't done that since 2013).
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #17031
Administrator

Mowed the lawn for the first time this year. Made a run to Lowes for topsoil and mulch, and put it where needed. Replanted the rosemary that we brought in for the winter. Put the big potted lemon tree outside. Picked up from the yard all the detritus of a long winter -- sticks, old leaves, etc.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #17032
Give me a forum ...

Just saw the first confirmed hummingbird of the year. I thought I'd heard a familiar crirp 2 days ago but saw nothing. DW thought she saw one buzz the feeder two days before that, but wasn't 100%. This one was on the feeder, then off to their favorite tree.

🐑
Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #17033
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Spent the afternoon in the ER. Haven't been able to catch my breath for the last couple days. Along with that my resting heart rate has been at 90 bpm. Anytime I walked up a flight of steps it would spike to 130. Those numbers aren't near normal for me.

Finally got concerned enough to have DW drive me out to ER. EKG, blood work, and chest x-ray and some Oxygen test. Gave me an IV with fluids and 1mg. Lorazpam. Suggested I was dehydrated, given the amount of water I drink, I have a hard time with that line of thinking.

Discharged with orders to see my PCP. Diagnosis written as "Heart pounding, shortness of breath and Sinus tachycardia". Geeze here I ignorantly thought the diagnosis would contain something I didn't tell them in triage(OK I had to google Sinus tachycardia, but it's what I said). I already had an appointment to see my PCP this Thursday. Guess I won't keel over till then. Or if I do DW can put what she collects in CDs, not have any worries.
MRG, Geez take it easy until you see your doc.
I'm always surprised at what dehydration can do to your body. Wonder if that is what caused your condition?I'm pretty much dehydrated all the time. I'm never thirsty and go for hours without drinking or eating, even when I'm working out. I use to wake up almost every morning with a migraine. Doctors had me on meds and all kinds of diets because they said if you wake up with a migraine it's usually something you ate the day before. Turns out it's severe dehydration. I sometimes get sick from drinking what I consider too much water at one time....1/2 cup or so. Anyway I hope it's some easy solution for you. My migraines have almost gone away now that I know the cause. Still have a hard time remembering to drink.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #17034
Give me a forum ...

Thanks splitwdw will do. I'm the opposite, always drinking water. No alcohol(anymore) 1 cup of coffee and 1 coke a week.

I'd guess I probably consume 16, 16oz. glasses of water a day. You gave me a great idea, I'll log how much water I'm actually consuming for my doc. Least he'll have facts vs. my perception. I'll do the same with my resting heart rate too.
Numbers are good. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #17035
Recycles dryer sheets

MRG, sorry you had to spend an afternoon at the hospital. Hopefully more water will help and your doctor can rule out any other possible problems.

Today we took our puppy to a puppy play hour at the local pet store then stopped at Lowes for some garden supplies. We planted 90% of the garden today including onions, lettuce, spinach, kale, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cantaloupe, basil, and carrots.

Tonight, I am relaxing with the heating pad. I forgot how many different muscles I could use to dig, fertilize, pull weeds, hoe, and plant.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #17036
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
MRG, sorry you had to spend an afternoon at the hospital. Hopefully more water will help and your doctor can rule out any other possible problems.

Today we took our puppy to a puppy play hour at the local pet store then stopped at Lowes for some garden supplies. We planted 90% of the garden today including onions, lettuce, spinach, kale, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cantaloupe, basil, and carrots.

Tonight, I am relaxing with the heating pad. I forgot how many different muscles I could use to dig, fertilize, pull weeds, hoe, and plant.
MRG, how scary! Hopefully when you see your doctor in a few days, he will figure out what on earth could be causing all of this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
what did you do today?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #17037
Administrator

what did you do today?

Me? Oh, um, er... I made an offer on another amazing, incredible, outrageously perfect house. This one is even more perfect than the one that got away that I offered on and didn't get last September.

My heart is all a-flutter, waiting to see if it will be accepted or not.

After I made the offer, F and I went out to celebrate. We'll celebrate again if it is accepted.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #17038
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

2nd time is the charm!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #17039
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
2nd time is the charm!
Thanks, I hope so!!! This house would be a dream come true.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #17040
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for a late afternoon stroll, and spent a little time with some of the local feral kitties.