Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #17381
Full time employment: Posting here.

I helped oldest DD move from her apartment to a rental town home. The new place is farther from campus, but in a nicer area and the new living arrangements will save her $150/month in rent. That's significant to a poor graduate student. Luckily she had some of her 25-year old, weightlifter/fitness buff friends to do the heavy work. My contribution was to drive DH's pickup and hold doors open.

DH wasn't there to help because he's on a contract in VA. He gets the weekend off, but it's a tough drive home so he stayed there to relax at the hotel pool. He texted this afternoon...somehow he ended up getting asked to work security at an Alabama concert tonight.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #17382

Completed our first cycling century ride today with my son. It was a great ride on a beautiful day. I was pleasantly surprised that it was also one of our quickest. Now it's time to relax.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #17383

Congrats Kiki! That's quite a workout.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #17384

Downloaded overdrive and set up the account. Now I'm going to use the e-library. They also have magazines and music. Why did I take so long to do this?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #17385
Recycles dryer sheets

Not an exciting day by any means, but it feels good to change the bed and get 5 loads of laundry washed and put away. It will make the work week go so much smoother.

Now onto getting the vacuum rolling.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #17386
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just finished my final "self-evaluation" for w*rk. Of course I walk on water!

Not planning on being out the door until December but with my company splitting into two Fortune 50s, they've accelerated the 'end of year' performance review to July 1. My part is complete and I could care less what rating I get.

I'm still hoping to get lucky and get the boot August 1 when we do operational cutover for the two companies but I'm managing global communications for the finance split so I doubt they'll let me go until the split is completely done... but one can hope!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #17387
Recycles dryer sheets

Somehow my front tooth chipped (just had them cleaned last week) so contemplating what all that involves. Going to a high school grad bbq tonight and had "nothing" to wear so off to Ann Taylor Loft for causal clothes. Luckily they had a great 40% off sale- I never pay full price for clothes or shoes.

Now sitting here, surfing the net, wondering why my left eye is hurting and thinking - what now?!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:26 PM   #17388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just finished my final "self-evaluation" for w*rk. Of course I walk on water!
Is that all? I'd have created Heaven and Earth....
Old 05-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #17389
Recycles dryer sheets

Completed my first half marathon running race today, with a time just a bit over 1:45, pretty happy with that!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #17390

DW and DSs away for the day - so quiet breakfast, some morning chores, then the usual Sunday grocery shopping w/ a nice $20 off coupon.

Unpacked the groceries, went on my customary walk/hike in the open space preserve next to my house. Call mom and dad at home to check up on how they were doing.

Prepped the burgers, corn, and fries for dinner later, then put on some music and enjoyed a nice cold beer on the back patio.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #17391
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCella View Post
Somehow my front tooth chipped (just had them cleaned last week) so contemplating what all that involves.........
A corner of my front tooth chipped and I had it bonded. I found the bonding only lasted about a year before the material wore back to the tooth surface. The second bonding lasted only a few months. Dentist was first recommending a veneer, but later found stress cracks on back of tooth, so I'll need a full crown. Currently procrastinating.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #17392
Recycles dryer sheets

DH & I went thru boxes of old photographs as part of our pre-move scale down efforts.

We used to make kites -- we were quite good back in the day (pats self on back) -- and we attended lots of kite festivals, and we had dozens of envelopes of photos from those festivals, back before digital photography became mainstream. Most of those photos were cr@p but some were keepers. And I went thru a figure skating fan phase back in the 1990s - early 2000s, so I had another pile of photos to wade thru (I kept only a few of those). And lots of photos from other events early in our marriage, many of those were keepers.

It was fun to go down memory lane, but boy oh boy am I glad we have digital photography now!

ETA: And I really appreciate the info in this thread, how timely! Old photographs
Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #17393
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to my husband's CD release show and party in Oakland, CA. It was a great party and celebration! He's the drummer in a three piece instrumental rock band called Points North. Some background: the guys met on Craigslist, when my husband put out an ad hoping to hook up with like minded musicians. DH and the guitar player have day jobs. The bass player is a full time musician-used to play with White Snake. Influences are: Rush, Dixie Dregs, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson. They are on Magna Carta records (small niche label) Here is a video of them playing the song "Ignition" 95,000 views on Youtube so far. Honestly? They play for the love of it. I would just be happy if it would pay for itself!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #17394

Last night had a unique experience. We (9 ladies, mostly church friends ) had a going away party for a tumor. One of our group starts chemo and radiation this week for colorectal cancer, so we arranged a party at one of the "bring your wine and paint" places to say goodbye to her tumor. A very good time was had by all. We agreed that when she's done with all of the treatments and surgery (February) we'll have a bonfire with these paintings and go back for a new happy painting.

Today was a hymn festival at church (meaning the choir provided the sermon - a lot of singing) so I took a nice nap after lunch. Did laundry, talked with my sister and both kiddos, cooked steaks on the grill. So nice to have some sunshine - we really needed the rain over the past month but it was getting to feel like Portland.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #17395
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Care to date yourself on when that was??

I'm a UCSD alumni - and we had some parties in the early 80's that would be shocking by today's 'standards'.
Next time you're in San Diego, go and see my DH's band, Points North. They do a Rush cover band "Fred Barchetta" Ramona, June 19th. Probably the best Rush tribute band out there!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #17396

Checked out my birthday present from DW. We spent about two hours cruising the backyard and had a lot of fun since it's a good work out and gives you a different perspective on home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1377.jpg (111.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #17397
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Checked out my birthday present from DW. We spent about two hours cruising the backyard and had a lot of fun since it's a good work out and gives you a different perspective on home.

Awesome gift and great pic!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #17398

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggz View Post
Completed my first half marathon running race today, with a time just a bit over 1:45, pretty happy with that!
Congrats, naggz! That's a smokin time.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #17399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Went to my husband's CD release show and party in Oakland, CA. It was a great party and celebration! He's the drummer in a three piece instrumental rock band called Points North. Some background: the guys met on Craigslist, when my husband put out an ad hoping to hook up with like minded musicians. DH and the guitar player have day jobs. The bass player is a full time musician-used to play with White Snake. Influences are: Rush, Dixie Dregs, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson. They are on Magna Carta records (small niche label) Here is a video of them playing the song "Ignition" 95,000 views on Youtube so far. Honestly? They play for the love of it. I would just be happy if it would pay for itself!
Wow! Those guys are great!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #17400
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spent the weekend here with the entire family (two daughters, their husbands and our five grandkids) celebrating the end of the school year. Very enjoyable and laid back. The grandkids spent hours fishing in the pond - they had a great time, and so did we.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread