Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #17561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Getting ready for a trip to New England.

Wonder if they'll talk funny up there....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #17562
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Only in Boston or Maine.

Us guys from Connecticut don't talk funny. And now I am almost a full fledged Texan....

Old 06-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #17563
Give me a forum ...

Wherever I go, I can still understand people. Mostly.

However, they always think I speak funny.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #17564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Only in Boston or Maine.

Us guys from Connecticut don't talk funny. And now I am almost a full fledged Texan....

We'll be in Boston for a couple of days as there is a meetup of DH's biker pals. I've met quite a few folks from that forum and they're all great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wherever I go, I can still understand people. Mostly.

However, they always think I speak funny.
A few years back when I was 'up North', on a couple of occasions people asked me to repeat my statement. They said they understood me, but thought it was cute. Made me feel like I was 2 years old.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #17565
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Y'all talk so funnnnnnney!
Old 06-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #17566
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Y'all talk so funnnnnnney!
Shouldn't that be all y'all
Old 06-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #17567

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Shouldn't that be all y'all

Yes. 😄
Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #17568
Recycles dryer sheets

63 mile bike ride. On a road bike rather than a hybrid this time. Much better......

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 06-21-2015, 03:15 AM   #17569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was quite surprised on my recent first visit to Scotland that I had absolutely no difficulty with the regional accents. Didn't expect that, but enjoyed it.

Now Yorkshire, on the other hand ...
Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #17570

Yesterday we built a 8'x8' floating dock for our river camp and put it in the water- decided that we need one more float on the ramp to the dock as it tilts a bit too much when we walk to it. Secured to bank with steel cables, we don't have a lot of current where we are. Took the canoe out the other day and scouted out other docks in the area to see what should work as for design. Docks are typically pulled out of the water for winter and seem to be go back in around June.

Our big worry is how much variation there will be in the water levels but our design is similar to most of the others in the area with a hinged ramp, etc. Having said this, the water level was at 3ft (measured by the closest NOAA water level station) when we finished the dock about 3 pm. On the way home, it started raining and we had one of the heaviest storms for a long time, lot of thunder and lightning but not a lot of winds. According to the prediction value on the NOAA site, water was going to rise from 3 ft to 8ft by Sunday afternoon. Just checked the NOAA site again and the prediction is now for a rise to about 5.5 ft so much better. Will go to the camp this morning and see how it looks as the water is up a foot compared to yesterday and we'll hope for the best. I have a winch so could pull the dock back up on the bank but at some point, we have to commit!

Hoping for a quiet day today otherwise!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #17571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Only in Boston or Maine.

I was just about to say Maine when I saw your post, but Boston is true as well.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #17572
Give me a forum ...

I have been busy busy busy doing the container gardening thing. Enjoying leaf lettuce salads and fresh Chinese pod peas. My tomatoes are forming buds and blossoms to beat the band. I can't wait for the first Sweet 100s to form and ripen.

Mr B continues to study his *** off for his IRS certified agent exam. He is scoring in the 80s now, so his online counselor encouraged him to sign up for the proctored exam. This will be the first of 3 exams, each 3.5 hours long. Argh ! I have to admire his tenacity when he sets an educational goal and goes for it.

Still raining and thunderstorming every other day, making it near impossible to get my boat in. I have until July 1st to get it on the dock or forfeit the space, so Monday or Wednesday next week is looking good. I could probably get a weather extension...who knows ?

All in all life is peaceful, and very predictable. Just the way I like my FIRE.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #17573
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
...Tonight I'm prepping a big top sirloin with bacon wrapped asparagus, baked potatoes with the works and garlic toast.....

All seasoned and setting up in the fridge now while I do some afternoon gardening before dinner
We had sirloin last night too. I rubbed it with kosher salt and pepper and then marinated it in plastic bag with a combination of teriyaki marinade, italian salad dressing and balsamic vinaigrette dressing for the afternoon. It was fairly thin (~1 inch) so grilled it on low/medium direct heat and it came out perfect, pink inside and grilled on the outside.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #17574
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We'll be in Boston for a couple of days as there is a meetup of DH's biker pals. I've met quite a few folks from that forum and they're all great.

A few years back when I was 'up North', on a couple of occasions people asked me to repeat my statement. They said they understood me, but thought it was cute. Made me feel like I was 2 years old.

If you have time for an 80 minute no-stop open sided vehicle tour of the city and a bit of a splash included, I recommend the Duck Boat tour. Your tour vehicle is a “DUCK”, an authentic W.W.II style amphibious landing vehicle.
http://www.bostonducktours.com/the-tour/
The drivers look like a real cast of characters
http://www.bostonducktours.com/ducks/

I took the tour many years ago when I had govt contract manager business there. It was a blast.

As far as the locals go, just tell 'em you're a Red Sox fan and you're golden.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #17575
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We had sirloin last night too. I rubbed it with kosher salt and pepper and then marinated it in plastic bag with a combination of teriyaki marinade, italian salad dressing and balsamic vinaigrette dressing for the afternoon. It was fairly thin (~1 inch) so grilled it on low/medium direct heat and it came out perfect, pink inside and grilled on the outside.
Regarding your posted photo: We have partaken in both of your displayed adult beverages, and commend your selections!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #17576
Give me a forum ...

I actually have a scheduled appointment today. The gutters on my house have finally given it up from years of ice damage, leaking like hell when it rains. They are also filled with small leaves and other miscellaneous gunk. I can't clean them myself because I lived in a raised ranch and will not get up on a 30' ladder.
I am going to do it right and get the covered gutters (Gutter Helmet). If the covers get messed up by snow and ice, I will replace them under warranty. All good.

An approaching cold front Tuesday should prove interesting with predictions of gusty winds and large hail. Occasional small hail is normal for my area. Better go move and/or cover up my outdoor container plants today in anticipation of that mess.

Off to do my boat launch preparation tasks...Wednesday is launch day...FINALLY !
Old 06-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #17577
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday I bought a smoker box for my grill then slow smoked split game hens with applewood chips in the box. I also put a rub on the hens. They were divine.

While the grill was going I vacuumed the pool then swam around for at least an hour. I climbed out of the pool at the deep end to put the pool brush away and slipped-I jammed my middle finger. It's not too bad-I did the same thing in high school. I'm taking it easy today but tomorrow I need to move my artichoke plants to a new location. They're nice and big enough that the rabbits can't ruin them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #17578

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I actually have a scheduled appointment today. The gutters on my house have finally given it up from years of ice damage, leaking like hell when it rains. They are also filled with small leaves and other miscellaneous gunk. I can't clean them myself because I lived in a raised ranch and will not get up on a 30' ladder.
I am going to do it right and get the covered gutters (Gutter Helmet). If the covers get messed up by snow and ice, I will replace them under warranty. All good.

An approaching cold front Tuesday should prove interesting with predictions of gusty winds and large hail. Occasional small hail is normal for my area. Better go move and/or cover up my outdoor container plants today in anticipation of that mess.

Off to do my boat launch preparation tasks...Wednesday is launch day...FINALLY !
Good move on the gutter covers. I just climbed off the roof after leaf blowing the gutters for the 2nd time in the last 2 weeks. I'm up there probably 10 times a year.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #17579
Recycles dryer sheets

Completed a small project in remembrance of my Dad, a day late for Father's Day but the last of the parts I needed arrived today. A little bit of background; when he retired and wasn't travelling, woodworking and tending to a garden were two of his favorite pastimes. Me at the time, being barely even middle-aged and working around a lot of large machinery day-in and day-out was rather amused with his purchase of a Mantis garden tiller. So tiny it almost seemed comical, but it suited him just fine. A year after he had passed away Mom had found a buyer for the home and property, when going through things before holding an auction I decided to keep that tiny little tiller.

Used it a few times, and was pretty impressed with the job it did. Not big enough for landscaping or anything like that, but for keeping an established garden cultivated it does a pretty good job. Of course, when working, gardening tended to be low on the priority list and even in this first year of retirement DW and I did not think we really wanted to deal with having a vegetable garden. But now after putting 32 potato plants, 8 tomato plants, 5 pepper plants, rows of onions, radishes, carrots, and onions; oh and some zucchini, squash, and a row of sunflowers into the ground for good measure - I guess we've gone and done it anyway.

So, I was bound and determined to get that tiller running again. Drained the fuel and replaced with new, replaced fuel lines, filters, spark plug, and bad primer bulb. Still no go. Chatter on the net was to just replace the carburetor as next step, price makes it more sensible to replace than to try and rebuild. So carb came today, mail carrier dropped it off at our front door in the pouring rain. Started right up after changing that out, and after the ground dried up a bit I got the entire garden tilled.

Garden looks great, and I think Dad is smiling
Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #17580

Great story, Theseus! I'll bet your Dad is smiling. 1 for having a nice garden and 2 for fixing the tiller.