Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #18441
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent almost the entire day packing our backpacks for our upcoming Grand Canyon stint. I bought a small food scale a few weeks ago, and while it wasn't meant to use for backpacking, we used it all afternoon to our amazement at how those pesky little ounces added up to pounds. All told, we took an additional two pounds out of our backpacks by removing everything from their holding sacks (sleeping bags, down jackets, rain gear), removing or swapping out misc hanging items like thermometers and carabiners, and weighing and swapping out things like socks, pants and shirts for lighter counterparts. Bags felt good when we were done!

I made a hugh batch of veggie fajitas for dinner in order to go through the produce still on hand, which won't hold over the week we'll be gone. Afterward, I spent time planning out a final few excursions for a Caribbean cruise we'll be taking a few weeks after we return home from this trip. Yeah for fluff trips!

And yes, I'll definitely post a few photos of the GC when we return.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #18442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the spur of the moment, coming back from the wedding rehearsal for our daughter, we stopped by a store to buy a tux. I was just going to wear my usual black dinner suit, but then this is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime event, so why not go the extra mile?

To get more use out of the tux, I will need to bring it on the upcoming cruise.

Coming back home, checked my stocks, and found that it was a happy day on Wall St. Nice!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #18443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Changed Hot Tub fluid, er, water and filter, scrubbed the tub. It is now coming up from the 56F tap water temperature.

Looking ahead for the month long weather forecast, seems my Kayak will be hanging from garage ceiling in about two weeks, major bummer. On the upside, I'll have more time to spend in the skating rink.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #18444
Give me a forum ...

Great day for me. Woke up too early (6:15 am) and a golf buddy picked me up at 7:15. We met up with another guy, went out to breakfast and met up with 17 other guys at the course. Great course in a development with multi-million dollar vacation homes.

Opened with a tap in birdie. Played well overall (for me... 3 under net despite 3 blow-up holes). Our team came in second.

Drove home, took a nap, had dinner and then went to visit with friends and had dessert at their place (a very good apple pie with cheddar cheese).
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #18445
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we took the train into the city to see a play. Today was mostly routine stuff - errands, catching up on paperwork, walking the dog and enjoying a beer on the patio together in the afternoon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #18446

It's supposed to be the first rainy weekend here in central TX since June. Although so far it's just been light rain on and off since yesterday morning, predictions are for large rain totals by Sunday evening. I had planned to go to the Formula 1 qualifying tomorrow at Circuit of the Americas, but will now wait to see how bad the weather is (they race in the rain, but not sure I want to spend hours in the rain just to see it). Glad I didn't buy tickets in advance.

Today is the only day with nothing scheduled all week, so I cleaned out three drawers in my dresser and now am doing laundry while catching up on the interwebs. Also need to finish writing up some reports for a volunteer assignment and take care of some financial stuff - RMD from the IRA I inherited when my mother died last year, paying bills, etc. I will take DH to the adaptive gym this afternoon if it isn't raining too hard and he wants to go.

Dinner tonight will be yummy - Costco had chanterelle mushrooms for about the usual price this week so I'll be fixing them (probably just a simple saute) and making fresh pasta. Mmmmm.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #18447

Spent the day doing kid related stuff. Started off driving the kids to school (normally they take the public bus and I walk the dog on the beach after I drop them at the bus stop.). I had my TB test read by a Dr./Volunteer mom who had offered free TB tests for school volunteers. (The district requires volunteers to have TB tests within the past 4 years and mine expired in August.) After that I attended a "coffee with the principal". The principal is new so I wanted to suss out what her pluses/minuses are.

All of that was before 9am.

Came home and cleaned the house then spent some time getting organized for the robotics team. They'd hand written some changes for their project/skit - so I transcribed the changes and printed out new copies. By this time it was time to go fetch the kids so I could get them home in time for the rest of the robotics team to show up. (The team, except my son, go to the local middle school... we're the oddballs with our kids going to a magnet 10 miles away.)

Now I'm relaxing and getting ready for robotics team tomorrow.... and again on Sunday. Only 3 weeks till their qualifying tournament.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #18448
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday- finished up a project to take some cherry and walnut boards I had sawed and stickered to dry a couple of years ago. Wood is now dry and ready for use (has been that way a while really) so put a rack on the wall and moved the wood in to a storage shed where it will be out of the elements. Have over 150 board feet of both the cherry and walnut and looks to have dried well. Then I moved all the tractor equipment in to the barn and got the snow plow ready to be used- didn't attach it to the BobCat but easy to get to if needed- hopefully not for a while. I plow the gravel road from our house to the main road when needed, it's 1.2 miles but doesn't take long with the plow.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #18449
Give me a forum ...

Today I bought a ticket to a benefit for our library . It is an evening with Steven King & John Grisham . They are two of my favorite authors so it should be interesting .In fact I just finished Grisham's new book "Rogue Lawyer ".Steven King lives locally so it is not unusual to see him do a benefit but never the two together .
Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #18450
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished putting my garden to bed for the season before I am Baja-bound...which meant gathering fallen leaves (mostly maple) and covering all my vegetable beds with about a 6 inch layer of them. Also planted some garlic and covered them with leaves too. The idea is that over winter the leaves will prevent the PNW rains from robbing the soil of nutrients and the decomposing leaves will in turn provide the soil with lots of organic matter come Spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.14 MB, 22 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #18451
Give me a forum ...

I had a productive day. In the morning I verified with my health insurer that I don't need to do anything on our 2016 health insurance... our current cat plan renews automatically and increased less than $5/month for the two of us and I reset our autopay (the insurer changed their electronic payment system). I dropped the car insurance on the car I sold on Friday and did the paperwork to transfer my last remaining DC plan with my former employer to my tIRA.... I had intended to annuitize it but their annuity benefits changed from a great deal 4 years ago to nothing special today compared to available payout annuities.

In the afternoon I finished winterizing the pontoon boat and my Mom's place, moved a 1/4 cord of wood from the woodpile to the deck off the living area and mowed the lawn for the last time this season. I'm bushed and looking forward to watching Supergirl tonight (according to Jeb! she is "hot" and I agree) and golfing tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #18452

I looked at this 3D printer today. Glowforge - the 3D laser printer and if you pre-order it's under $2000. Don't ask me why, I don't need one, it's just cool.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #18453

Getting ready for winter- Put my pontoon boat in the garage, put sand in the joints of paver walkways/patio, tarred some exposed nails on the roof, moved our hibiscus to my workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #18454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
... moved our hibiscus to my workshop.
Maybe to the kitchen. But never the workshop!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #18455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Maybe to the kitchen. But never the workshop!
I know. I know. It wasn't my idea. Hopefully it won't take long for DW to change her mind.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #18456

Sunday, I found one of our cats had died. He was 12 years old and we thought that he was our healthiest cat. They are indoor cats and he was the only one who could still jump up on the counters and he was not overweight. We have 2 other 12 yr old cats and 2 14 yr old ones, so we expect more of this in our future. For some reason, I thought they would live until their 20's. It makes me think of those of us planning on our money lasting until our 90's or 100. I don't really think I will last that long. We buried our sweet Elo. It was hard, since my DH is not supposed to bend or lift over 15 lbs, due to his cataract surgery.

Yesterday was a much better day. DH had eye appt and doctor was thrilled with DH's eyes. He is seeing 20/20 and can read small print up close also. I had a 2 hr dental appt. I did some laundry and packed. We are leaving today to go to NC to help our DD's family with moving and watching the grandkids. We ate dinner out and watched a stupid movie IMHO (Hot Pursuit) to celebrate our 43rd anniversary. Can't wait to see my grandkids!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #18457

Went to an early 11:00 AM lunch with DW and then a 12:30 PM showing of The Martian in 3D. A very good movie but they changed the ending from what was in the book, the book's ending was better I think.

I was also taken aback a bit at the price - we hadn't been to a movie for quite a while and for the two of us it was a bit over $23 and with the grossly overpriced Coke and box of candy that DW bought the total was nearly $35! I'd hate to think what it would be in a high COL area. Even DW said next time she'll sneak in a bottle of water.

At least it was a "private showing". We were the only ones in the theater.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #18458

Went to the dentist for a refill. A 15 year old filling decided to escape. There was no discount.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #18459
Give me a forum ...

Dreamer, sorry to hear about your cat Elo... what an interesting name! DD lost one of her cats, the sweetest of the two, back in early summer.... he was actually younger than Elo and seemed healthy but developed an illness and went in a few heartbreaking days.

Walt, we saw The Martian a few weeks ago... I really enjoyed it but had not read the book so I had nothing to compare it to. We go to the movies regularly but our local theater is only $4 for seniors (60+) and a large popcorn and soda (each of which can be refilled if you want) is only $10.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #18460

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We go to the movies regularly but our local theater is only $4 for seniors (60+) and a large popcorn and soda (each of which can be refilled if you want) is only $10.
That's a lot more reasonable and we'd go more often with prices like that. While I know theater owners are being squeezed on costs when a movie gets to $23 for two for a weekday afternoon showing (with the $5 senior discount for me) that's into the irritating range. And the drink/snack prices are flat-out gouging and I won't pay it.

It is part of why we don't go to movie theaters much - we leave feeling ripped off. Normally we just wait for the DVD or for it show up online.