Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

what did you do today?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #19081
Recycles dryer sheets

what did you do today?

I took three boxes of receipts, cancelled checks and bank statements out and burned them. I had shredded another box of old utility bills to use for a fire-starter. Some of those financial records were from 1980! Lots of stuff from the 80's & 90's. I'm t took an hour for it all to burn. Getting rid of all that useless clutter felt really good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 PM   #19082
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just came back from a grocery run to get stuff for the New Year party I am hosting tomorrow.

Our siblings and the children will all bring some food, and as usual the group announced what we would make to ensure there would not be too much overlap. So, we will have an international smorgasbord of beef with chimichurri, kabab koobideh, chicken rice, Oriental cole slaw, etc... I myself will make Spanish-style beef, Jamaican jerk pork, along with several canapés like salmon mousse, garlic shrimp, etc...

It's going to be fun. Too bad that I did not think of mail ordering Cocci Americano in advance to have it for Vesper Martini.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #19083
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for my run, showered, then couldn't find my glasses. I don't wear them when I run, and I was sure I left them on the counter on my way out. I finally asked DH if he'd seen my glasses. He came into the kitchen, saying "no, I don't remember seeing them". That's when I realized he was wearing my glasses! I don't know how he couldn't tell they weren't his cheaters--- I have progressive lenses. Plus they had to feel tight.

He stretched them on his great big old Charlie Brown head. This isn't the first time; once he took off with them in his pocket while running errands for a couple of hours and left me home, unable to read or use my iPad since I couldn't see. I think my next pair of glasses will have bright pink or purple frames so he doesn't mistake them for his 😡
Old 12-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #19084
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to grocery store.
The store was full.
The parking lot was full. We parked on the grass.
The island is full!
Starting to hear firecrackers at 7pm.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #19085
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally gave in to the bug and bought a new car. Convergence of multiple factors conspired to make me do it; horde of expiring rebates on a Citibank Driver's Edge card, high miles (along with poor fuel efficiency) on what had been our daily driver, final days to include sales tax in a year we are itemizing, and year end sales incentives including 0% interest. Happy with my choice, and have been trying to learn how to make all the bells and whistles work. Amazing how much technology is packed into these computers on wheels. Downloaded a 572MB update for the system, will load that up in a few days.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #19086

Theseus, Congrats on the new vehicle! What did you get? I'm a car gal and love when we or family/friends get a new/used vehicle. We have people dropping down to show us their new vehicles all the time. I read the manual when we get a new vehicle but my husband doesn't. You should have seen him trying to figure out how to open the gas door on one of our vehicles. Looking for buttons or levers......you just push the gas door. He finally gave up and asked me.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #19087
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Theseus, Congrats on the new vehicle! What did you get? I'm a car gal and love when we or family/friends get a new/used vehicle. We have people dropping down to show us their new vehicles all the time. I read the manual when we get a new vehicle but my husband doesn't. You should have seen him trying to figure out how to open the gas door on one of our vehicles. Looking for buttons or levers......you just push the gas door. He finally gave up and asked me.
'15 Focus Titanium in Tuxedo Black, first "new" car I've bought in forever. Leased some while w**rking as it worked out, but the last few were 'collectibles' that I bought used. The Focus is a hoot to drive, and great fuel economy might have us doing a bit more travelling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Focus.jpg (111.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #19088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
'15 Focus Titanium in Tuxedo Black, first "new" car I've bought in forever. Leased some while w**rking as it worked out, but the last few were 'collectibles' that I bought used. The Focus is a hoot to drive, and great fuel economy might have us doing a bit more travelling.
That's nice looking. I know a couple of people that have a Focus and they rave about their gas mileage. I get ribbed all the time because I only get a little under 12 miles per gallon.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #19089
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
If I was a foot shorter I would be driving a Focus right now. I tried to fit in one last summer. With the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way up and in, I still couldn't even get into the seat let alone drive.

It's a great car for those who are under 6 foot.
What did you do today? 2016 version
Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #19090
Recycles dryer sheets

What did you do today? 2016 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If I was a foot shorter I would be driving a Focus right now. I tried to fit in one last summer. With the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way up and in, I still couldn't even get into the seat let alone drive.

It's a great car for those who are under 6 foot.
I've been heading just a smidgen short of the 6' mark as I get a bit older - darn gravity. It does take a bit of concentration on body position to squeeze into, joint stiffness is my main issue there. Not unfamiliar with that, as our summer fun car is a two seat roadster that makes the Focus seem more like a mid-size! Inside the Focus has adequate hip and shoulder room, and has surprisingly good visibility devoid of blind spots that are so common in other vehicles, which makes it great for keeping an eye on nearby traffic. Pretty nimble handling too. I always favored smaller vehicles when I was younger, feels refreshing to return to that after having been drawn to trucks and SUVs for so long.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #19091
Administrator

This thread has proven to be our most popular one. But that popularity poses its own problem, in that it makes loading the thread difficult for many people. Accordingly, we are going to close this thread as of 12/31/2015 and start a new "what did you do today? as of 1/1/2016. The old thread will remain pinned, so that you can always find it. We hope that this enhances our members' experience here.

Gumby - for the moderators

Link to new thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ion-80192.html