what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets see...read the paper, and did the crosswords. Next, I flushed the brake system on an old car.....man that fluid was yucky. :(
Ok.....got up from my nap, cleaned up the mess in the garage, started the charcoal and had a glass of wine while I grilled some T-bones.

Another tough day behind me....:whistle:

Lets see...read the paper, and did the crosswords. Next, I flushed the brake system on an old car.....man that fluid was yucky. :(
Ok.....got up from my nap, cleaned up the mess in the garage, started the charcoal and had a glass of wine while I grilled some T-bones.

Another tough day behind me....:whistle:
It's a tough life, I know...but somebody's got to do it darlin'. ;)

Put the finishing touches on my indoor experiment to prove that Romaine lettuce can indeed be grown in captivity. ;)
Materials: 10 gallon fish tank, aluminum foil to reflect light from grow light (adjustable with stand) and window, pelletized fertilizer, spray bottle, seeds, and compost I made myself. I planted another round of seeds to replace the bigger ones.
This is fun stuff! :LOL:
I turned the setup so I could take the photo. It is normally facing the window (upper left in 2nd pic) to capture maximum sunlight.

Attachments

• RomaineMapView.jpg
    RomaineMapView.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
  • RomaineSideView.jpg
    RomaineSideView.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 195
Did the fish enhance the plant growth? Like Indians teaching the Pilgrims to fertilize corn?

Did the fish enhance the plant growth? Like Indians teaching the Pilgrims to fertilize corn?
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
This tank hasn't seen fish in many years. It was a starter tank before the 29 gallon fishtank arrived from Santa. :D My other "kids", the goldfish, are thriving in that tank.
I've used the 10 gallon tank to grow fresh mushrooms from innoculated sawdust blocks, but mold became a problem. :yuk:
So I've recycled it into a salad greens grower. The only investment I made this year was the adjustable grow light, on sale of course.
Goldfish poo in my salad greens isn't turning me on at the moment.

Attachments

• goldfish09.jpg
    goldfish09.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 4
Very impressed that you are growing your own, Freebird! How big does the lettuce get before you harvest it?

Very impressed that you are growing your own, Freebird! How big does the lettuce get before you harvest it?
Dunno yet. This is ground breaking botanical science going on here. ;)
Romaine normally bunches. This is growing like leaf lettuce.
I'm misting it from overhead every day, and have the grow light on for 12 hours. The leaves are so green. :D
I love to grow things, and with fall in full swing here, I move my gardening indoors. My potted geraniums are just unbelievable. :flowers:
If I'm not careful, that spare bedroom could easily morph into an indoor greenhouse. Hmmmmmm....:rolleyes:

I clicked to enlarge, but they are still the same size!

That's because you didn't follow instructions. Go to message #2371, click on link, and then find the lady, click on her and then click on her again and you will increase the size by some small amount (10-25%).:D

Of course, the real payoff of that exercise is you get to see the "less clad ones" you were warned of.

Last edited:
Big schedule today...clinic at 9 AM for annual bloodw*rk, grocery shopping (small list), Chinese buffet, then goof off at home.
These 14 hour fasts are a real pain. Plus I am a real needle dreader...whine! :(
Only 1.5 hours to go. Drinking water and trying valiantly to keep my mind off coffee or food. :mad:

Big schedule today...clinic at 9 AM for annual bloodw*rk, grocery shopping (small list), Chinese buffet, then goof off at home.
These 14 hour fasts are a real pain. Plus I am a real needle dreader...whine! :(
Only 1.5 hours to go. Drinking water and trying valiantly to keep my mind off coffee or food. :mad:
Freebird: Don´t take offence but that´s nothing compared to having pulled off all your lower teeth and getting imnplants for an overdenture. And another overdenture for all my upper teeth-I have none. Once the process starts -in a week- I don´t hink I´´ll be eating anything much solid...

I clicked to enlarge, but they are still the same size!

I think my joke was a little too subtle. Note that I said "they" are still the same size, not "it" is still the same size. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

I think my joke was a little too subtle. Note that I said "they" are still the same size, not "it" is still the same size. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.
I got what you meant. :greetings10: Just be grateful that I'm a shy girl :angel: and therefore used the mermaid figurehead as my proxy.
I will admit to playing "mermaid" on the lake sometimes. :cool:

Farmers' Market: small steak, chicken, hen(for stew), some late summer veggies

Much needed haircut, retirement luncheon with dh2b's w*rk group :D, bought cornstalks and a huge yellow mum, then back home to decorate front porch and make nachos supremo for dinner.

It is that time of year when flies decide that indoors is a great place to hang out and/or hibernate (do they do that?).

A mystery that was keeping me up at night has been solved.
How come flies don’t fall off the ceiling?

Much needed haircut, retirement luncheon with dh2b's w*rk group :D, bought cornstalks and a huge yellow mum, then back home to decorate front porch and make nachos supremo for dinner.

It is that time of year when flies decide that indoors is a great place to hang out and/or hibernate (do they do that?).

A mystery that was keeping me up at night has been solved.
How come flies don’t fall off the ceiling?

Vacuum cleaner is good way to deal with flies.

Did laundry.
Ran oven cleaning cycle.
Cooked chicken wings with some ghee.
Listened to the rain (forecasting two inches thereof).

Met the mortgage broker to apply to refinance the loan on the rental property. 4.625% 30-year fixed, 2.175 points, 45-day lock. We decided not to take out any cash.

She still had our application from eight months ago when we refinanced the loan on our residence, so the meeting took barely an hour. The appraisal will be finished in a couple weeks.

We got a .25 discount for having a high credit rating. That's the first time I've ever been rewarded for a high credit rating... maybe I'll have to pay attention to that from now on.

Our bank will probably sell the loan to Bank of America. If BofA goes bankrupt, do we still have to keep making payments?

Our bank will probably sell the loan to Bank of America. If BofA goes bankrupt, do we still have to keep making payments?
Hey....maybe not....:cool: Well...we can hope, can't we?

Went to the grocery store and bought the weekly stuff. While I was there, I found out they are closing the doors November 7th. Man..with all the changes I've experienced and have had to go through in my life, I just wish one thing would stay the same. :(

I had an excellent session with my doctor today. I was there for the annual female tuneup, and also to discuss some emotional and psychological backsliding I've been consistently feeling for the past months.
No boring details or whining...I took the proactive step of writing up a list of how I feel when positive (most of the time), and how I feel when the stormclouds periodically move in. She talked with me for over an hour, to listen, ask questions, give me ideas, and gave me an Rx to take only as needed. She is a wonderful doctor. :D
I feel better knowing I am not losing my mind :whistle:, what I am experiencing is normal for high stress life events I've been through, that these feelings are likely triggered by hormonal influences :blush:, and there is help available for the rough patches. Dx = PMDD.
I feel like an anchor has been thrown overboard. :dance:

Freebird, you have a wonderful doctor! Good to have that prescription as the gray days of winter are approaching, too.

Bought jeans and long sleeved tees at Kohl's--Levis for $22/pair. Bought fabric and trimming to make a wedding veil for a young friend. Cost of bridal salon veil: $500 (seriously). Cost of materials to create a good-enough facsimile: $6.93. Seriously. Wedding and colleges--the biggest rackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom