what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it only fair that I point out those pretty red clouds are man-made - a byproduct of the mercury-laden pollution created by three coal-burning power plants generating power for the city of San Antonio.
How nice of them to go to all that trouble to make a pretty sunrise for you.

And don't forget that all that elecktrical makes the interwebs work just fine! Not to mention making the doors open by themselves down at the Howard E. Butt's grocery store!

Friends invited us to celebrate Thanksgiving at their house. Had a wonderful time, but no leftover turkey. So, I'm cooking a turkey today. Smells yummy and we'll have plenty of turkey for sandwiches later.

With an owner named "Butts", I guess HEBuddy could have turned out a lot scarier than he did...
Yep, HEBuddy makes a much better company mascot than Howard's daughter, Ella V(ated) Butts...

Attachments

• Ella Vated Butts.jpg
    Ella Vated Butts.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 169
I really don't think Maria Callas ever followed anyone.

Quite true! She put her own distinctive dramatic stamp on everything she did. The fact that she is still remembered as an artist 30 years after her death bears witness to this. Great art brings a kind of immortality, no?
In her personal life, though, I think she would have been a happier woman if she had concentrated on her art after being dumped by Onassis for Jackie. She was La Divina after all.
I saw Master Class back in the 90's with Faye Dunaway I believe. I understand there might be another production or movie in the works. I need to get to NY to see some theater, maybe in the spring.

Spouse wangled a hardhat construction tour of the new museums at the USS ARIZONA Memorial visitor's center. 7 Dec is the grand opening remembrance ceremony, of course, and it looks like everything will be ready on time.

When the original visitor's center opened over three decades ago, it immediately exceeded all crowd projections and has never kept up with demand. Today it's Hawaii's most-visited attraction. A few years ago when the National Park Service started to plan an upgrade, it was discovered that the whole center was sinking into its landfill. After $56M of donations (and hundreds of concrete pilings), the theater has been refurbished and the rest of the complex has been completely rebuilt. The Navy consolidated ownership of the property between Halawa Stream and the Ford Island Causeway, so the new visitor's center stretches along the shore from the boat landing all the way over to the USS BOWFIN Submarine Museum. There's better road access, more parking, and greatly-improved pedestrian flow. The motley collection of cramped buildings has been transformed into a waterfront park.

The building designs are impressive, the museums are fantastic, the infrastructure has joined the 21st century, and a number of improvements have sped up the access and raised capacity. There's much more to do now while waiting for the boat. Rediscovered documents and artifacts have been added from the National Archives and survivor's donations. A second film shows many more details of the attack, including actual closeup movie footage of the ARIZONA's magazine explosion.

The Navy is even running new boats on biodiesel.

We'll spend a few more hours down there when our daughter comes home on college break. It'll be interesting to see how it makes her reflect on her new Navy career. It certainly made spouse & me reflect on our old ones.

The picture on the left looks across the water from the museums to the Battleship MISSOURI Memorial, the ARIZONA Memorial, and the boat on its way out to the Memorial landing. (It also shows the Ford Island runway control tower that was strafed during the attack. The new Pacific Aviation Museum has obtained funding to refurbish it.) The photo on the right looks back on the two museum wings with the courtyard "Tree of Life" sculpture and other displays.

I've posted more info & photos here, including interior shots of the museums and exhibits.

Attachments

• MYDC0035.JPG
    MYDC0035.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 2
  • MYDC0032.JPG
    MYDC0032.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I played and almost won a game of cribbage against Mr Boston. We re-learned the game at the Legion the other night. We were out shopping for other games and I spied a board for $12.99 with a free deck of cards thrown in. No sales tax in NH. :D

I'm sitting here goofing off until the crepe batter chills. Crepes with butter and syrup are planned for dinner tonight! :greetings10:

Started remodeling the kitchen over the weekend. We built a new cabinet for the vent hood and have started tiling the backsplash. The new cooktop will be in Thursday. It looks so much better already...

Well, it wasn't today, it was a couple of days ago. I gave up trying to get the F..ing snow blower to work & shoveled the driveway. Then I went to see a friend in palliative care (she is only 10 years younger than me). Then I did a couple of other depressing things. Then I decided not to jump off the nearest bridge but to have another drink. I just came back from PV but need another warm vacation.

Spent 90 minutes at the rental property, weed-whacking the zoysia and repairing a couple of sprinklers. It's just enough maintenance that we have to drop by every 4-6 weeks, which gives us a chance to look the place over and gives the tenants a chance to say "Oh, yeah, I wonder if that outlet is still shooting flames and sparks?" or whatever other "minor problems" might have slipped their mind.

The tenants have totally cluttered the interior of the house. On one hand, the house is a total mess. OTOH, there's no way they're going to pack up and move anytime soon. I guess as long as it's not a fire hazard then I don't care whether or not it's stowed for sea. They pay their rent every month by EFT with no drama!

Spent most of my day napping in between household chores since I've been out of town for a few days and didn't get much rest.

Most of last week I spent time with my momma at the nursing home. While I was there, I saw two guys that I knew from long ago...they are only three years older than I am.

Mmm, hmmm...I keep telling myself to enjoy life's pleasures as long as I can. That's what keeps me goin'...

Yesterday was my birthday. I applied to renew my FM3, then was driven around doing errands. Went to the liquor store and found my vodka on sale for 35% off so bought 6 bottles (happy birthday!). Bought a new watch too. Then had lunch on the beach: Playa Camarones. Bought a Mexican Rotisserie chicken with chilis and roasted potatos and had dinner on our patio.

Attachments

• NightView.jpg
    NightView.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 122
  • f1740041.jpg
    f1740041.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 4
A belated Happy Birthday to you, Keith!

Today I am waiting at home for the UPS man to deliver my new Dell laptop. (Apparently it requires a signature.) It is "out for delivery".

It is rainy, windy, and cool here today, so I feel cozy and happy at home. Frank will stop by with take-out lunch for us to share in a few hours. Life is so good. :D

Last edited:
Today I am waiting at home for the UPS man to deliver my new Dell laptop. (Apparently it requires a signature.) It is "out for delivery".

I spent yesterday waiting for UPS to deliver the new Asus netbook I bought DW for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up at 2 instead of the typical 5pm or later. This gave me time to [-]play with it[/-] get it all set up for her so she can 'turn it on and go' when she opens it. I also managed to get it wrapped and under the tree before she got home. :)

I spent yesterday waiting for UPS to deliver the new Asus netbook I bought DW for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up at 2 instead of the typical 5pm or later. This gave me time to [-]play with it[/-] get it all set up for her so she can 'turn it on and go' when she opens it. I also managed to get it wrapped and under the tree before she got home. :)

You are showing the true spirit of Christmas, buying a laptop for your DW instead of for yourself. Not so for me. :blush: Frank will get my old laptop to "play with" as another backup computer, but probably next week instead of on Christmas, since we don't exchange Christmas presents. Instead we usually buy ourselves something that we really want.

Dell sent the laptop, the mouse, and the portable external hard drive in three different packages. :rolleyes: They are all supposed to arrive today. As far as I can tell from UPS tracking, they are on three different trucks originating in three different New Orleans suburbs.

Last edited:
Our taekwondo black belt test is in late January but we're testing for the qualifiers now. After two months of focused pushup work I'm at the 100/two minutes threshold. I figured I'd practice good form for the rest of this week and do the qualifier next week.

But that plan accelerated a bit last night at TKD when the instructor ran a two-minute "no pressure, do the best you can" pushup drill. Of course I got all competitive about it and pumped out 100. Then I realized that I should've asked one of the instructors to count my work in progress, not just report it after the fact.

The rest of the hour was a brutal workout. I came home at 8:30 PM drenched, exhausted, and starving. Kinda hard to settle down and go to sleep after that.

No problem... I'll be back tomorrow night and we'll do it again. Then I can shift my focus to the situps and the run.

Most of last week I spent time with my momma at the nursing home. While I was there, I saw two guys that I knew from long ago...they are only three years older than I am.
Were they visiting their parents too, or are they residents?

When I was a teenager, hanging around with guys three years older than me was a huge age difference.

That age difference pretty much disappeared in my 20s and hasn't come back.

But now I'm starting to notice that even though there's not a significant age difference among those of us in our 50s, there's a huge "aging difference". Hard to believe how that gap is going to widen over the next few decades.

I think I'll go work out now.

Yesterday was my birthday. I applied to renew my FM3, then was driven around doing errands. Went to the liquor store and found my vodka on sale for 35% off so bought 6 bottles (happy birthday!). Bought a new watch too. Then had lunch on the beach: Playa Camarones. Bought a Mexican Rotisserie chicken with chilis and roasted potatos and had dinner on our patio.

Nice Rolex.........ya know they don't keep good time though, right?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom