what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an appointment for a piano lesson. In thinking about how to spend more money, I realized that piano is one of the things most important to me, so if this could help me improve faster, it will be worth it.

I made an appointment for a piano lesson. In thinking about how to spend more money, I realized that piano is one of the things most important to me, so if this could help me improve faster, it will be worth it.

Wow! And who would you find to teach YOU... Jerry Lee Lewis?... Billy Joel?... Dave Brubeck? And what that might cost bedazzles me.

(And why doesn't someone start a "Piano Boy" thread?)

I feel like h*ll from same flu bug mentioned a day ago...:nonono:

I've been mostly sleeping, drinking fluids, hotfooting it down the hallway :blush: and reviewing my email calendar reminders. I'm weeding out a lot of them.

I found a good one that was set to chime every Jan 1.
Stop sending me catalogs!
Catalog Choice - Control the catalogs you receive in the mail

Hope you've completely recovered from the flu. :flowers:

Thanks for posting this link. I estimate that we get 50 lbs of catalogs/year, at least. So now every day whe we get the mail I ask DW (aka Catalog Girl) which ones she doesn't want and enter them into the profile. Hopefully by summer we'll be down to four or five a month. I'm curious to see how effective it is.

Work and surf, work and surf...........:)

This site may give you some ideas.
Organizers

I can w*rk away at this organizing thing WHEN I am in the mood to do so. I was caught in a cycle of organizing and moving stuff from side to side within a room. Then I decided I could lessen the frustration level by designating 1 room for putting the first round of sorted-through things in. Instead of just randomly piling unsorted things "somewhere else", I winnowed things down to the bare minimum in the larger room and moved things to keep to the smaller room. I donated or gave away all unwanted items.
I used small and medium postal boxes* to hold similar things (extra office supplies, clothes that need mending, sewing supplies, etc).
Now I can go into the smaller room, pick up one box at a time, and go through it for the LAST time.
My plan is to eventually purchase an open bookcase and lots of low profile rectangular clear plastic bins or a shelf/pull out bin type organizer unit and be done with it all.
My process may seem redundant but it w*rks for me. :D I want to empty the larger room as much as possible so I can paint it.

* I ordered a lot of Ruby Red glassware on eBay and kept the boxes.

Good ideas, and thanks for the link. I know how to do it, it's just a bit overwhelming right now. And every day, something interferes - today's interference is trying to figure out how much to do to my SO's mother's house so it sells - and then go over and sell the idea to her (so she pays for the work). She has moved to senior living and thinks the house is just perfect as is. Neither of us has time or wants to rehab the house. NO! But it's a constant stressor...

I need to throw out or give away a lot of stuff. Then there's a lot of stuff that needs to be put in a box or something. I need a block of time that isn't broken up by anything more than meal prep. Wonder when... :)

Hope you've completely recovered from the flu. :flowers:

Thanks for posting this link. I estimate that we get 50 lbs of catalogs/year, at least. So now every day whe we get the mail I ask DW (aka Catalog Girl) which ones she doesn't want and enter them into the profile. Hopefully by summer we'll be down to four or five a month. I'm curious to see how effective it is.
Getting there, getting there...down to a mere 3 Kleenex per hour nose blow rate. :LOL:

The catalog site is very effective...as long as you don't place an order from any of them. Some sites ask you why you want to discontinue the delivery. I usually check the "to save the planet" (reduce paper waste) or "Prefer to order online" options. Additionally, if you establish online ordering accounts, watch out for those little check boxes that are auto-filled to "Yes, contact me with specials or emails", artfully placed in teeny tiny font size before you click Submit to create your account.

I go through this exercise every January when my new catalog delivery volume is highest. I hang onto up to 5 hardcopy catalogs, then sit down and remove my address on the catalog removal site I posted. It gives me something mindless to do [-]besides surfing here[/-] while I'm running laundry loads. :D

DH and some members of his biker’s association are having their picture made at the Veteran’s Memorial today. The bikers are taking a memory book through the United States to honor a fallen soldier. The book will be filled with photos and signatures that will be given to the parents of this young man.

I’ve been asked to sketch a portrait of this soldier, and it will be given to his parents at a later date. I am honored to have been asked to do this and I will do my best. It will take me a while to complete his portrait as I know tears will fill my eyes with each stroke of my pen.

His life ended at the tender age of 25.

1. Made love to my wife.
2. Made love to my wife's sister.
3. Made love to my lovely female neighbors (both sides :LOL: ), along with the foxy single gal who lives down the street.
4. Woke up :cool: ...

Worked in the vegetable garden this morning, picking produce and weeding. The garden looks much better now....pulled all the plants that had frozen and turned black.

After gardening, I went to the first Block of the month class at my favorite quilting store. Let the sewing begin. I plan on finishing my projects this year. A new beginning.

1. Made love to my wife.
3. Made love to my lovely female neighbors (both sides :LOL: ), along with the foxy single gal who lives down the street.

You were making me nervous for just a moment....whew, then I saw that my name was not listed. ;)

I laughed right out loud and just had to show Mr Boston this one. I actually interrupted his football watching. Urk!

2 thumbs up ! :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been asked to sketch a portrait of this soldier, and it will be given to his parents at a later date. I am honored to have been asked to do this and I will do my best. It will take me a while to complete his portrait as I know tears will fill my eyes with each stroke of my pen.
Is this something you could share with the forum when you're done? I think many of us would like to see it.
Thank you.

Five Guys for the first time. All the way burger and cajun fries. WOOF! May go with a small burger the next time - small fries were overkill for two, their regular burger has two patties hand formed coarse ground beef. They may just be, no, are better than In~N~Out Burger.

We dropped our daughter off at the airport!

Not to worry-- she has a return ticket to college and she's flying out tonight. She's also wrangling over 100 pounds of luggage. This morning she even mailed off two large flat-rate priority-mail boxes at the post office, and she was probably pushing 70 pounds in those. I hope none of those valued possessions ever return to the house, and we think that's her plan too.

Everybody had a [-]surfing[/-] "To Do" list for this three-week break, and it all got done. The last of the financial business will finish up over the next few weeks (especially the credit-card applications) while she & spouse cleaned out a huge pile of her stored stuff.

It was interesting watching the high-school gang get back together... and then drift apart again after only two outings. The teens at UH Manoa are just the high-school crowd at a slightly bigger campus. The teens attending Mainland schools have already made new friends and had many new experiences that the locals don't care so much about. Everybody's moved on, and everybody was working whatever holiday jobs they could get for pocket cash. By the end of our daughter's second week of break she was more than ready to go back to her dorm... she spent almost as much time on Facebook and text messages with her college friends than she did with local activities.

After the first two weeks, we were ready for her to go back to her dorm too. She's much better than she was six months ago but she still has a very large footprint in any shared space and we all felt underfoot of one another. Even worse, we all went out to dinner last week with ClifP and she totally charmed him into thinking she's the best possible daughter a family could have. I've never seen anyone get the wool pulled over their eyes so fast!

Spouse and I are delighted to regain possession of our [-]clothing-optional adult playground[/-] house, and we're looking forward to not having to be role models for a few more months...

We dropped our daughter off at the airport!

Not to worry-- she has a return ticket to college and she's flying out tonight. She's also wrangling over 100 pounds of luggage. This morning she even mailed off two large flat-rate priority-mail boxes at the post office, and she was probably pushing 70 pounds in those. I hope none of those valued possessions ever return to the house, and we think that's her plan too.

Everybody had a [-]surfing[/-] "To Do" list for this three-week break, and it all got done. The last of the financial business will finish up over the next few weeks (especially the credit-card applications) while she & spouse cleaned out a huge pile of her stored stuff.

It was interesting watching the high-school gang get back together... and then drift apart again after only two outings. The teens at UH Manoa are just the high-school crowd at a slightly bigger campus. The teens attending Mainland schools have already made new friends and had many new experiences that the locals don't care so much about. Everybody's moved on, and everybody was working whatever holiday jobs they could get for pocket cash. By the end of our daughter's second week of break she was more than ready to go back to her dorm... she spent almost as much time on Facebook and text messages with her college friends than she did with local activities.

After the first two weeks, we were ready for her to go back to her dorm too. She's much better than she was six months ago but she still has a very large footprint in any shared space and we all felt underfoot of one another. Even worse, we all went out to dinner last week with ClifP and she totally charmed him into thinking she's the best possible daughter a family could have. I've never seen anyone get the wool pulled over their eyes so fast!

Spouse and I are delighted to regain possession of our [-]clothing-optional adult playground[/-] house, and we're looking forward to not having to be role models for a few more months...

I think my parents went through the same phase after my younger sister was convinced to leave.

Last night, I annoyed several of my friends with this text
"LETS GO JETS LETS GO JETS" when they won with a field goal in the last 3 seconds. What a game! :cool:

We are watching more NFL playoff games today.
Next week is Jets (my team) vs Patriots (his team). Mr Boston and I may be only friends that day. Maybe... :LOL:

It is snowing, the kind of light fluffies that waft down slowly, swirling around very gracefully on a mild breeze, then accelerating quickly in a gusty wind, then gently coming to rest on the ground.

Some people see snow...I see one of nature's ballets in motion. :D

Made blueberry pancakes for breakfast, read this board, watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica... My SO never watched it before (I have the DVDs) so I'm kind glad he's finally getting into it. 2:30. What to do next... Play Frontierville for a while. I like the pace. It is not this kind of day: :dance: ....:D

I was a total slug this weekend. I did make a pot of vegetable-beef soup and sorted some clothes to donate/trash/store. Other than that, the wind chill is very anti-sunny South and I have discovered "Heroes" on streaming Netflix, so there's been a LOT of recliner time. DH has gone in to the office to prepare for a partial day on Monday (his office will probably be closed at least part of the day for snow). I am contemplating getting up to make a cup of tea.

Sundays are different when I'm not starting to clench up internally for a working Monday.

I took out the old Chevelle today and spent the day detailing the front and rear bumpers. Also took off the small bumper guards front and rear. The bolts haven't moved in 38 years so that was no fun getting them off. Got off the 38 year old dirt behind them. Also took out the rear tail lights and detailed them also. Put her back into the garage and covered her up. Maybe in a few more months I'll get the bug to do something else to her.

Now a little football, not playing, watching and some BBQ.

Lunch at our favorite mom & pop Chinese restaurant. They had the KC/Baltimore game on their new 55" wall-mounted HDTV. DW asked, "Why don't we get one of those and mount it over the fireplace?"

Ya just gotta love a woman like that... :)

Wow... I want your life! LoL FIRE or not hahaha

I guess you enjoy naps thru out the day.

1. Made love to my wife.

Not retired =( but enjoy glancing at this thread.

Saturday - breakfast at home with wife and kids, then stopped at a rental unit to chaulk some windows and insulate some doors. Found a water leak from a shower head (water dripping from 1st floor unit to basement unit), ran to the hardware store for a replacement part, and repaired. Tenants were happy. Home in time to put the kiddies down for an afternoon nap. Probably saved $300-400 from 3 handyman projects.. small projects are expensive. How many hours am I closer to ER?? ;-)

Sunday - church with kids, home for brunch. Slow day as wife is not feeling well, so parenting as wife rest upstairs in bed.

Rerunning FIRECalc =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom