what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We landed at the Pittsburgh airport at 1:10am, after being gone for a little over a month. We were picking up milk and bread in Morgantown around 3:00am. Went to bed a little after 4:00am and set the alarm clock for 8:00. I work tomorrow and knew I would not be able to sleep tonight, if I slept in. Going through and paying some bills, getting gas, buying cat food, unpacking and washing some clothes has kept me busy. I am starting to seriously question why I am working a part-time job.

Spent 90 minutes at Home Depot on a scavenger hunt for a couple of projects-- replacing a sprinkler control valve (inside a tiny little enclosure, of course) and building a cable/turnbuckle cross-brace for a PVC gate. We found everything we were looking for, but of course that now means that I need to actually do the projects. Sigh.

We also checked out a new Kohler toilet for our public bathroom. Apparently the modern 25th-anniversary gift is porcelain.

Best of all I came home to three voicemails from my brother, our geriatric-care lawyer, and John Hancock. My brother (and his GF) finished taking care of Dad's apartment contents last weekend, and now all that's left is the doctor's note to break they lease. He's sending me a copy of Dad's long-term care insurance policy along with two other boxes of memorabilia. Thank goodness I didn't have to fly 4000 miles each way to help with that project.

The lawyer & JH transmitted information and I was able to respond with more voicemail. That saved a tremendous amount of time, although they'll probably call me tomorrow with a progress report.

I thought the ultimate test is teaching the SO to drive a stick shift.
Anyone who agrees to take on that job automatically fails the test. It's probably the #2 marriage beartrap, only slightly behind "Does this make me look fat?"

I am starting to seriously question why I am working a part-time job.
Awareness is the first step!

Anyone who agrees to take on that job automatically fails the test. It's probably the #2 marriage beartrap, only slightly behind "Does this make me look fat?"

"Oh yeah, baby. You look phat!" That's what I meant, and I'm sticking to it.

Early morning kayaking. Just got back from Ice skating.

This morning I awakened early to the sound of my lawn guy mowing outside. I am so thankful that I can afford to have this luxury, since I hate to mow and I'm not getting any younger. :)

I enjoyed nice leisurely cup of coffee, and soon afterwards F. called and we headed out to see what the day would bring. He has the same lawn guy who awakened him, too, so we got an early start.

We went to the gym. I lifted over 15 tons (well, if you multiply the weight by the number of reps per set and the number of sets and add it all up). Anyway, I felt very triumphant to have gradually worked up to lifting that much weight and I am hoping that in another month it will be 16 tons, as in the song. Poor F. is recovering from throwing out his back, and a foot pain problem. He still managed to work out, but wisely skipped the back extension machine.

After the gym we went to lunch and split a chicken Caesar wrap. It was good but [-]a little[/-] very messy with the Caesar dressing leaking all over my hands, but I enjoyed it in sort of an animalistic, uncivilized way (and there were plenty of napkins).

Next we went for a drive, and passed the New Orleans Museum of Art, when we suddenly realized that the art museum is free on Wednesdays!! :dance:

So, we went to the art museum and strolled around for an hour enjoying the beautiful paintings, sculptures, and other art. That was fun, though right now I am pretty tired after the gym and art museum both.

Is retirement fun? YES. :D Is it boring for me? NO, never. I can't believe I worked all those years and missed out on so much that the world has to offer. We retirees are very, very, very, very, VERY lucky people

Last edited:

Did you ever see Jeff Foxworthy's bit on this? He says his wife comes into the room and asks "Do I look fat?". To which he responds "Do I look stupid?". :LOL:

I signed up for two four-week photography classes at a community college. Classes are one day a week. DW is going to the portrait photography class with me - she always complains that her photos are terrible and she looks fat in them.

I try to get her to make the distinction that simply because a photo was badly posed, lighted and composed does not mean that she looks bad. Perhaps this will help.

The classes are taught by a guy who retired after 30 years as a photographer for National Geographic so he probably knows a bit about photography.

We went to the gym. I lifted over 15 tons (well, if you multiply the weight by the number of reps per set and the number of sets and add it all up). Anyway, I felt very triumphant to have gradually worked up to lifting that much weight and I am hoping that in another month it will be 16 tons, as in the song.
That is a huge weight. You must be one fit lady!

I now have several gyms because of a merger.

I sometimes go to a more suburban one with my woman friend, but my favorite by far is a downtown place that was once a bank. It's got excellent equipment, a nice clientele, and marble staircases, brass inlays and pieces of old vaults still in some rooms. I go 4 times/week now, and occasionally a couple more to row on the C2.

I wish they had a bar or coffee shop inside this great space, because working out makes me feel relaxed and expansive and I like to hang around.

Ha

That is a huge weight.

Thank you! :D I appreciate the compliment even more than otherwise, because I know you and some others here know a lot about weight lifting.

haha said:
You must be one fit lady!

You missed it by one letter. :LOL: I'm fat, more than fit. I enjoy lifting and I like the way it makes me feel and the improvement in my standard bloodwork values due to getting some exercise.
haha said:
I now have several gyms because of a merger.

I sometimes go to a more suburban one with my woman friend, but my favorite by far is a downtown place that was once a bank. It's got excellent equipment, a nice clientele, and marble staircases, brass inlays and pieces of old vaults still in some rooms. I go 4 times/week now, and occasionally a couple more to row on the C2.

I wish they had a bar or coffee shop inside this great space, because working out makes me feel relaxed and expansive and I like to hang around.

Ha

Sounds like a very nice gym! The nice equipment, great clientele, and lovely surroundings can make such a difference. I like my gym too, and should probably post a photo of it sometime. No marble or brass, but still very pleasant. Mine does not have a bar or coffee shop (just two drink machines and a pot of hot coffee that is free, plus a waiting area of about 20 seats where one can wait for one's gym buddy. However, I like it this way because I am not wanting lots of snacks, due to the "fat not fit" problem.

Last edited:
Today is cream day. I shaved my legs with shaving cream, consumed some whipped cream right out of the can and made some dip with spinach and sour cream. :D

Today is cream day. I shaved my legs with shaving cream, consumed some whipped cream right out of the can and made some dip with spinach and sour cream. :D

No...No...NOOOOOOOOOOOO
please don't leave me openings like that. :banghead:

heh...I was playing with white thick stuff today too. :cool:

I made homemade tzatziki using my fresh homegrown cucumbers.
I found some authentic strained Greek yogurt in a 2 lb size at the store downtown. Usually I buy the regular plain yogurt and have to strain it myself in cheesecloth, a several hour venture.
To 1 lb of yogurt, I added 4 finely minced garlic cloves (garlic lover's portion ;)), 3 T olive oil, 2 T vinegar, and about 3/4 cup of grated well drained cucumber pulp (no seeds), and a dash of salt and pepper. Some recipes call for dill and/or lemon juice, but I skip those two ingredients because they tend to overpower the cucumber and garlic taste.
It needs to sit in the fridge, covered, for 1 day to develop the flavors.
If you have never had tzatziki, it is a healthy and delicious alternative to high fat salad dressings or Ranch dip, and always great on a traditional gyro if you can find the gyro meat and flatbread. If no gyro meat is to be found nearby, use cooked lamb chunks or chicken.

I started the day with Zumba . The best exercise routine for people who get bored . It is Latin dancing . The music is high energy and the hour just races by . I have to say it is really an enjoyable way to get fit .

I started the day with Zomba . The best exercise routine for people who get bored . It is Latin dancing . The music is high energy and the hour just races by . I have to say it is really an enjoyable way to get fit .

Like Zumba, but with Zombies?

night-of-the-living-dead.jpg

These guys are digging the Latin beat.

I just did a really stupid thing. I was organizing the top portion of my 2 door pantry, and left the upper cupboard door open. The bottom of the door is just above eye level. I went to do something else on the other side of the kitchen, turned around, and walked right into the door on my way back out the entrance to the kitchen. OUCH! :facepalm:
The good news is no blood, just a few birdies and stars flying around my head for a moment, and the inevitable bruise will be hidden under my bangs. I have ice on it now, but I know there will be black and blue tomorrow. :(

Remember to close those cupboard doors, folks.

I just did a really stupid thing. I was organizing the top portion of my 2 door pantry, and left the upper cupboard door open. The bottom of the door is just above eye level. I went to do something else on the other side of the kitchen, turned around, and walked right into the door on my way back out the entrance to the kitchen. OUCH! :facepalm:
The good news is no blood, just a few birdies and stars flying around my head for a moment, and the inevitable bruise will be hidden under my bangs. I have ice on it now, but I know there will be black and blue tomorrow. :(
Remember to close those cupboard doors, folks.

That hurt just reading about it :( Hope you feel better very soon freebird.

That hurt just reading about it :( Hope you feel better very soon freebird.
Oh it hurt alright. You never realize how fast you actually walk until you bang your head into something that doesn't give way.
For the record....a scream and a string of !#*& came out of my mouth upon impact. :mad:

Poor Mr B was startled out of his chair and rushed right over to see what had happened. I was on my knees on the floor holding my forehead.

I'll be OK. Me thinks I better find the aspirin bottle very soon.

Ow...Ow...Owie. :( A black and blue boo boo? I'm sure Mr B will give you plenty of TLC. I hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

Yeah, I've been trying to get DW to do that for years.>:D

Yesterday I stayed inside because the temperature was 100 F and read The Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally. The guy is a magician with a camera and a small flash or two. Played around with the camera and SB-900 experimenting with remote flash. Pretty neat stuff that I can't yet begin to fully exploit.

Today (and a little of Yesterday)

I figured out the main problem with our brake controller in the GMC Suburban. The contoller sends the signal to the travel trailer brakes. Gotta get all this working for some late summer and fall trips.

Now back to yesterday. Grilled a large sirloin and several chicken breasts. Not only was dinner last night fabulous but now we have some wonderful leftovers for sirloin salads, steak wraps, chicken salad and other wonderful meals.

It's surprising how much more fun things are when you don't have to go to w*rk!

This is going to distinguish the "Travel Lover" from the "Travel Over"!

Prophetic words. I may change my screen name to DestinationLover.

After getting up at 4 AM to catch an early flight to Miami, enduring a 6 hour layover and a 90 minute weather delay, we arrived in Lima at midnight. The hotel taxi had given up on us and it took an additional hour for their taxi to arrive (my mistake for not grabbing a cab then and there). Obeying the 2 hour ahead arrival time recommendation meant that we had to arise at 4 AM again to catch our 7 AM flight to Cusco, which ended up actually leaving at 1 PM due to bad weather in Cusco.

Cusco found us exhausted, sleep deprived and low on oxygen (11,500 feet altitude). Fortunately, a little Diamox, some pure oxygen and sleep restarted our engines.

In spite of the poor start, we ended up having a great time over the next 3 weeks in Manu, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. I'm glad that I baked in days for rest, relaxation and to hedge against travel delays. A huge improvement over vacations planned when I was still w*rking where every day was jam packed.

Cusco found us exhausted, sleep deprived and low on oxygen (11,500 feet altitude). Fortunately, a little Diamox, some pure oxygen and sleep restarted our engines.
Yowza. You're sellin' the heck outta this trip. And you paid for it, too!

At least when I had to ingest substances like that they were provided free of charge, along with a Navy paycheck.

Yowza. You're sellin' the heck outta this trip. And you paid for it, too!.................

I was hoping to salvage a few bragging rights out of my suffering. :blush:

To be fair, the good parts more than made up for the traveling hardships, but I can't see me doing this when I'm 80 years old.

I was hoping to salvage a few bragging rights out of my suffering. :blush:
To be fair, the good parts more than made up for the traveling hardships, but I can't see me doing this when I'm 80 years old.
My spouse brags about watching GlobeTrekker...

Ow...Ow...Owie. :( A black and blue boo boo? I'm sure Mr B will give you plenty of TLC. I hope you feel better soon. :flowers:
Unbelievably, no bruising happened, but there is a heck of a lump on my upper forehead. Still tender to the touch after 2 days. I consider myself darn lucky the cupboard door was not low enough to hit me in the eye.

Today, Mr B and I attacked a bunch of HIS junk boxes :LOL: that have been in storage for over 9 months in the lower family room. He almost filled that new particle board closet we assembled the other day. He threw out a lot of older computer components (zip drives, old modems, cables) and a slew of old software.
I cleared out some large bowls, trays, and party items from my past days of hosting frequent backyard cookout and Halloween parties. All will be donated or given away to interested friends from the Legion/VFW.
Now he has even more room for his larger "keeper" stuff.
We ran out of energy after 3 hours and decided to call it a day. Tomorrow is finishing up a few more boxes, re-assembling 2 single beds side by side, and putting the recliner, end table and hope chest furniture back where it belongs. The end result will be guest sleeping on 1 side, with a TV viewing/reading open den arrangement on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom