what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fir and some pine. All from trees that fell down in storms.

I have never had a fireplace and live in the South where not many people do, so I am completely ignorant of this - - but I thought I read somewhere that burning pine will cause creosote build-up in the chimney over time, and cause a chimney fire eventually. Is this a worry for you? I probably just don't get it.

I have never had a fireplace and live in the South where not many people do, so I am completely ignorant of this - - but I thought I read somewhere that burning pine will cause creosote build-up in the chimney over time, and cause a chimney fire eventually. Is this a worry for you? I probably just don't get it.

No, pine is OK, and I've never had any creosote problems. I know this because the guy who cleans the chimney is a good friend of mine: Namely, me!

Pine Causes Creosote?

I got another truckload today.

I got another truckload today.

Wow, that's a lot of work! No need for you to go to the gym today, that's for sure. I just got back from the gym but you probably lifted more than I did, and then split it too.

Thanks for the information about burning pine. That makes a lot of sense.

REWahoo said:
How is your back holding up?

It's totally OK, but I am being careful to not lift any rounds -- just roll them over to the splitting loc. I feel like I could lift them, that is, I feel as good as new, but I am no longer willing to take chances with my back.

Today..I had all good intentions of painting, but blew it off. :LOL: I just wasn't in the mood. I am a perfectionist when it comes to painting, so I thought it best to hold off instead of doing it to get it done. :D
I received several emails from a high school friend, telling me there was going to be an All Class Reunion held in October this year, down by NYC where I grew up. The strange thing is the event is being organized by a nun whose name I do not recognize at all :confused:, not by alumni. My very small all girls' Catholic high school was closed down 4 years after I graduated. I cannot picture this reunion being too much fun at all. :nonono:
I am planning to go to FL in October, so I think I'll pass on this one and catch the 40th reunion if alumni are the organizers.
I did create a very basic Facebook page so I can get announcements and link back up with former classmates. I am no longer a dinosaur. ;)

The strange thing is the event is being organized by a nun whose name I do not recognize at all

Sister Mary Elephant?

I'm not a reunion guy, but my 20th reunion (1991) was a mind-blowing experience. I've skipped the others, but if they weren't in New York (Long Island), I might have gone.

So if you haven't been to a reunion, I recommend it.

Sort of a sad day. Unpleasant reality check...

There's a small group of us who've known each other since our late teens, and we've worked together on and off over the years, doing startup companies and some other crazy stuff. One of the guys, among the few remaining at work, let us know today that he's leaving his job that he's loved doing all these years for medical reasons.

He'd rather be working on things, but he just can't any more.

It's a horrible thing to hear in some ways, and in others it helps me realize that letting go of work and redefining myself in other ways might have been the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.

There's a small group of us who've known each other since our late teens, and we've worked together on and off over the years, doing startup companies and some other crazy stuff. One of the guys, among the few remaining at work, let us know today that he's leaving his job that he's loved doing all these years for medical reasons.

His first name wouldn't be Steve, would it?

Steve Jobs Steps Down, Tim Cook Named Apple CEO | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Sad situation...

Last edited:
What did we do today? Tore up a lot of drywall. I think we have about three more days left.

We're "helping" the contractors on our familyroom renovation by removing the wall & ceiling drywall. We've uncovered dozens of (empty) termite tunnels from our 2003 infestation, and the damage is far worse than we imagined. "Luckily" the most-damaged parts of the framing were going to be removed during the renovation anyway. The termites just helped us get a head start on the project...

I'm not a reunion guy, but my 20th reunion (1991) was a mind-blowing experience. I've skipped the others, but if they weren't in New York (Long Island), I might have gone.
I went to my 5th where the obnoxious drunk still was, and the hot cheerleaders still were, and the really hot ditzy airhead cheerleader was a stereotypical flight attendant who must've really annoyed the heck out of the legitimate hard-working flight attendants.

But judging from my high school alumni Facebook posts the obnoxious drunk still is, the hot cheerleaders no longer are, and the really hot ditzy airhead cheerleader has had way too much plastic surgery. I've decided that I'm going to keep my cherished illusions & fond memories of my high-school classmates and no longer destroy them with the reality of reunions. I have a few high-school friends who I'll continue to visit, or who'll visit Hawaii, regardless of what semi-decennial anniversary crops up.

I've had absolutely no trouble skipping out on USNA reunions. Couldn't pay me to attend one of them.

It's a horrible thing to hear in some ways, and in others it helps me realize that letting go of work and redefining myself in other ways might have been the best thing I could have done for myself and my family.
In many ways I think the Wizard of Woz got the better deal.

No matter what happens from here, it's Jobs' own challenge to reboot his life. I don't think anyone else can (or should) try to do it for him. Every other retiring world-class executive before him has faced the same challenge.

Last edited:
I wish. :LOL:

Given the choice between a week trip to FL whenever I want to go versus being tied down to a specific date to attend a HS reunion organized by a nun AND being held at a convent (no I'm not kidding), located more than 4 hours drive away, what would YOU do? :cool:

You could always take 10 or 20 litres of sacramental wine to the reunion and watch what happens. >:D>:D>:D I will send you a virtual carboy of dry red. :dance:

In many ways I think the Wizard of Woz got the better deal.

No matter what happens from here, it's Jobs' own challenge to reboot his life. I don't think anyone else can (or should) try to do it for him. Every other retiring world-class executive before him has faced the same challenge.

Since he's remaining on as Chairman, I don't think he's going to be doing too much rebooting. He's not a PC, after all. I think that by removing the responsibilities of being CEO he's taking his personal and medical issues out of the flow of everyday administrative stuff that needs to be done for Apple. I admire him for that, and hope he takes good care of himself moving forward. But I suspect on the day he finally dies they'll have to carry him out of the office on a plank. He's not like us, he loves his job (and the fame and ego boosting that goes with it). Good for him.

Since he's remaining on as Chairman, I don't think he's going to be doing too much rebooting. He's not a PC, after all. I think that by removing the responsibilities of being CEO he's taking his personal and medical issues out of the flow of everyday administrative stuff that needs to be done for Apple. I admire him for that, and hope he takes good care of himself moving forward. But I suspect on the day he finally dies they'll have to carry him out of the office on a plank. He's not like us, he loves his job (and the fame and ego boosting that goes with it). Good for him.
If he can still provide the "vision" and the innovation without some of the added stressful responsibilities of the CEO that take a toll on his health, it could be a good thing. But the public really doesn't know whether this is a preventative measure to protect his health or something more worrisome.

On impulse we went out to dinner at a steakhouse, then suddenly opted for salads instead. Go figure.

Afterward we stopped at a nearby park for a photo op.

Attachments

• Park-water_08-24-11_4359.jpg
    Park-water_08-24-11_4359.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 7
  • Park-water_08-24-11_4373.jpg
    Park-water_08-24-11_4373.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 5
Today is day 3 of a 6 day dog-sitting adventure. Paige, my SIL's 1 y.o. golden retriever is a handful. But after a boat ride, a 1 hr hike, a swim in the lake, and some stick retrieving, she's finally zonked out. Now on to the chiropractor for some adjustments. Not dog related - tweaked my back doing rows on the bowflex.

Went to the county fair after the ultrasound.

I don't know how this guy can deal with liability. He also rode holding two small kids.

img_1105384_0_5a3c2a49fd5ef85478c3a47f7a1b03eb.jpg

Just out of curiosity.... did he have a really high voice? Ouch!

I split and stacked another truckload of firewood from my neighbor's rounds, and my main shed is now full (about 2.2 cords).

ShedFull.jpg

I'm definitely going to have enough wood to heat the house all winter.

T-Al says,
"I'm definitely going to have enough wood to heat the house all winter"

Al, the wood is beautiful. We are getting ready to load our oak logs into the "holder" for winter - after splitting them, of course.

Since it's almost 100 degrees outside, I got into the getting ready for winter mood, and canned 36 pints of blackberry jam.

You could always take 10 or 20 litres of sacramental wine to the reunion and watch what happens. >:D>:D>:D I will send you a virtual carboy of dry red. :dance:
I am really on the fence on this one. I have a funny feeling there will be an alternate reunion location plotted by our class. :LOL:
I have located and connected (via FB) with 26/99 classmates so far. The other women are feeding me names of classmates they still have contact with. I am in turn feeding this info to the reunion organizer, who is looking at several years of classes. I have chatted with several of the women who were in classes with me. All in all I'm having fun with the "search out and tag" mission.

Today was a lazy rainy day. Mr B is cranking away at the textbook for the easiest of his 4 classes, starting on Tuesday. He commented that he was surprised at how much studying tired him out mentally. I recommended short naps in the recliner in between study sessions to freshen his mind.
Result? Zzzzzzzzzzz

Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything) :dance:

Happy birthday Lisa....:greetings10:

Today a couple of [-]escapees from my neighbor's backyard [/-] neighbors came by to say hello.

Methinks they'll be here until their momma gets home....

Attachments

• DSC02496.jpg
    DSC02496.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02497.jpg
    DSC02497.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks bbbamI! Good thing those convicts found your yard instead of the street out front. They're adorable!

Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything) :dance:
Have a good one, and party on! Not sure when my "day" will come, but hopefully by the time I reach "the big 5-0" it will be visible in the horizon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom