what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I thought our bank was great, with free lollipops in 10 flavors.

TromboneAl said:
Is the stability that important, since the money will be FDIC insured?

Less stable banks may have their profit margins crimped by the need to raise capital to meet requirements. I've noticed that such banks are often inspired to explore exciting new opportunities to improve operating margins, especially related to growing service areas such as electronic debit transactions. I'm expecting my gigabank to start charging to close accounts next year, as that appears to be a big new growth area for them...

Less stable implies... More likely to look for cash in other peoples pockets.

The small bank seems to have a novel business model. Unlike the gigabank, whose biggest business is creation of synthetic collateralized debt obligations to be sold, built on underfunded credit default swaps with the funding gap backed by depositors money, this small bank mostly engages in small business, personal, and prime mortgage loans, and even more bizarre, holds the loans in it's own portfolio. Is that weird, or what?

I solved a problem today. :D

The boundary conditions:
We live in a raised ranch. The major wood supply is delivered and stacked at ground level, outdoors. The fireplace and weatherproof log storage (for 1 season) is on the upper level in the enclosed porch.
I have carpal tunnel and chronic tendinitis problems in my hands and wrists. Mr B had a mild heart attack and 2 stents implanted in April.

The problem: How do we get the wood from ground level to the upper level without having to hand carry it up the steps, load by load? The preferred carrying devices are a canvas log carrier and a sturdy LL Bean bag, both with 2 handles.

The requirements: Something that can be quickly attached to/removed from the upper porch rafter and requires very little hand strength to operate. No stair climbing. I guessed the weight would be under 50 lbs weight per load, in either of the log carrier devices.

I looked at block and tackle systems, winches (manual and powered), did some research about homemade pulley systems, and then started thinking out of the box.

The solution:

Amazon.com: Hunters Specialties Super Mag Lift System with Magnum Gambrel: Sports & Outdoors

All I have to do is drill a hole in the rafter, insert a sturdy bolt and washers, and use the hook to hang it. :dance:

Last edited:
I solved a problem today. :D

The boundary conditions:
We live in a raised ranch. The major wood supply is delivered and stacked at ground level, outdoors. The fireplace and weatherproof log storage for 1 season is on the upper level in the enclosed porch.
I have carpal tunnel and chronic tendinitis problems in my hands and wrists. Mr B had a mild heart attack and 2 stents implanted in April.........

Or this?

Gambrel and Pulley Hoist

Thanks. :flowers:

I had seen a similar one at Amazon, as well as several ceiling and joist mount bicycle and kayak hoist systems. The thin rope (1/4") on the Harbor Freight one would be an issue for the weakened grip in my hands.
I needed a thicker rope, so I went for the heavy duty one with larger pulley tracks. If need be, I will replace the nylon rope with a natural twisted fiber one (already have on hand) and use the nylon rope for something else. Also, I can attach both log carriers (full) at once without putting too much strain on the gambrel. I also liked the 6:1 w*rk ratio on the one I selected.

PS No deer hunting is planned in my future. ;)

Yesterday started a four-week "advanced photography" class at a local community college taught by a 30-year veteran photographer at National Geographic. Since he looks about my age and walks like he's 25 year older that's probably a physically demanding life.

The assignment this week is bring back a window-lit portrait with only a reflector for supplemental light. He suggests a $5 piece of white foamboard from WalMart as the reflector. DW is not enthused about [-]suffering[/-] sitting as my model but (after a minimum one hour of preparation of course) will pose.

This I take as a sign of true love and trust in a woman.:LOL:

DH and I went over to the next door neighbors to say goodbye :( They are in their 80's and finally sold their house and are moving into a nearby apartment building. They listed their house for $120,000 in March and had no action for almost 6 months and then it finally sold for $105,000. They hated to have to drop the price but they needed to move on to their new simpler life. They are both still in good health but the upkeep and yard work was too much. We are very happy for them but it's sad to see them go.

When we moved here in 1983 we were the youngest (28) ones on this end of the block. We have a lot of new neighbors now and with this couple moving out we will be the family who has lived here the longest.

The new owners are an older couple but they didn't buy the house for themselves, it's for their daughter (single mom) and her son. The house is 2BR, 1 bath ranch house on a corner lot. Also has a one car attached garage and a nice back yard.

I hope this works out as well as the last neighbors. They were the best. I'm surprised at how sad I am over this. Makes me feel old......

Visiting Mom, who is now staying with sister and BIL while we work to find assisted living. Mom fell, fortunately only cuts and bruises, and can't be alone any more.

On the lighter side, I got a b'day e-card from the ER.org 'elf' for my 56th b'day! Another year older and another year closer to FIRE.

DW said - I want to to do some changes in the back garden..... I shovelled about 3 tons of rocks, only two more ton to go... Manana.

Edit add: Who needs a Concept 2 when there are rocks to shovel. At least I don't need to make little ones out of big ones.

Last edited:
Today is a ten in South Florida . Sunny , high 70's with light breezes . We went to a few unique stores that sell hand painted furniture and then stopped at a local Tiki Bar for a late lunch .

I sang at a funeral today. It was for a man in my church whom I have known for many years. As I listened to the tributes by friends and family, it struck me how little we all truly know about each other. I think I should ask more questions.

Gumby said:
As I listened to the tributes by friends and family, it struck me how little we all truly know about each other. I think I should ask more questions.

Very true. DH went to a co-worker's funeral last week (he had a major heart attack right in front of DH at work and was only 37 :-( ). Who knew that he was interested in nature and the environment and had even written a book about birds? Just goes to show how much we really think we know about our friends and co-workers.

I woke up to brilliant sunshine. This is a very welcome sight after almost a week of coudy/rainy weather. :dance:
Mr B has a computer upgrade j*b to do today, so I am going with him to keep the customer (a friend) company while he massages the 1s and 0s from an older computer to a newer one. Cold beverages could be involved. ;)
I have another costume to w*rk on for 2 Halloween parties this coming Saturday night. My only hint is that I need to find some fake cherries. :cool:

We tailgated. First time for me. Before going to see the Northwestern - Penn State game. The Cats played valiantly but the Lions prevailed.

We grilled wild boar sausages and lamb sausages, accompanied by veggy chile, capicola and sheeps milk cheese. Washed it down with unpasteurized cider and Flying Dog ale.

;)
I have another costume to w*rk on for 2 Halloween parties this coming Saturday night. My only hint is that I need to find some fake cherries. :cool:

Is it Carmen Miranda ? I went as her one Halloween . I wore a leotard with a leotard skirt , wedge sandals and wrapped my head in a scarf with fake fruit attached . Fun & easy costume !

We tailgated. First time for me. Before going to see the Northwestern - Penn State game. The Cats played valiantly but the Lions prevailed.

We grilled wild boar sausages and lamb sausages, accompanied by veggy chile, capicola and sheeps milk cheese. Washed it down with unpasteurized cider and Flying Dog ale.

Does Northwestern still have the cheer,

That's alright
That's OK
We'll own your farm
Some day!

Or, is that just for Iowa?

Coming from Michigan, those are words that I never thought I'd hear. :LOL:

Does Northwestern still have the cheer,

That's alright
That's OK
We'll own your farm
Some day!

Or, is that just for Iowa?

My brother is the Northwestern fan, so I don't get the references. Yesterday was the third time I've attended a game. Quite enjoyable. The fans are sober and well behaved, when they play the school anthem most sing along. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves without rowdiness.

The one thing that struck me was how much soft drinks (coca-cola et al.) people drink. Even kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom