what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the morning tweaking the photovoltaic rails and mounting the first five panels. The next 18 should go pretty quickly tomorrow, and then I'll start splicing wires together. I think we'll be making 1500 watts of power again by Thursday, and then I'll start on the rest of the panels.

Drywall guy has finally finished taping, mudding, and texturing the familyroom & master bedroom walls. Tomorrow I'm priming!

We arrived in Kansas City this morning. We ate some delicious BBQ at Arthur Bryant's for lunch, then dragged our repleted selves to the Fedral Reserve Bank of Kansas City to visit their Money Museum with a glance into the vault:eek:. We strolled around the Liberty Memorial for a while (perfect weather) and we are getting ready for a nap.

I grew up near Kansas City and still remember the best BBQ I ever had. It would be during the late 60's, near where the Kansas City A's played in the old Municipal Stadium. Little hole in the wall we always stopped at going to a game, one thing on the menu, bbq sandwich on plain white bread with sauce, I think you could get it without the sauce, ummmmm!

Spent a few hours last night at the telescope chasing YU55 and finally got a few captures in my scope/camera. Object too time to see with the naked eye and moving fast. Did the hunt with a live online broadcast and had over 70 people viewing at one point.

Finally got it when a smart guy from Canada joined in and was able to feed me some coordinates where the asteroid would pass a few minutes out- put these in, armed the camera and took a 5 second integration/exposure and got it. Ended up with 6 or 7 shots, not impressive to look at but a lot of fun to catch. Here's an image showing it streaking within the view of the camera.

img_1128741_0_8b9a1bcf81f1b7643862be163fab86c5.jpg

Adjusted my wife's Citizen eco drive watch for switch from DST to EST. It's an amazing timepiece that puts the two Rolex watches we own to shame. We've owned the Rolex watches for over thirty years and have spent more money just to have them maintained than the cost of twenty Citizen eco drives.

Very neat DM88! It would have been fun if that puppy had come a lot closer.

Adjusted my wife's Citizen eco drive watch for switch from DST to EST. It's an amazing timepiece that puts the two Rolex watches we own to shame. We've owned the Rolex watches for over thirty years and have spent more money just to have them maintained than the cost of twenty Citizen eco drives.
The "Millionaire Next Door" author has logged a lot of Rolex purchase data:
$1 Million: Something or Nothing? (Part II)

Interesting. Certainly, I could buy two of them for the amount Rolex wants to do a routine maintenance on my watch. I might look at one the next time I'm in a jewelry store, just to see how they compare.

REWahoo said:
Depends on your definition of "fun"....

People evaluating the possibility of 7 billion people about to perish, 24/7 coverage, Kardashians pushed out of the news, global unity, last hour vigils, champagne parties when it misses us. That's how I define fun.

People evaluating the possibility of 7 billion people about to perish, 24/7 coverage, Kardashians pushed out of the news, global unity, last hour vigils, champagne parties when it misses us. That's how I define fun.
It appears Harold Camping has hijacked T-Al's account...

Really?
You don't have offsite backups?
To me, THAT'S criminal. Or at the very least, incompetent.

Yes - we have back-ups but we're dealing with DNA sequencing and it's going to take many hours to sort what is and isn't up to date.

Still working on thank you notes to people that sent flowers, food and visited us last week when momma passed away. Three plants were sent as well.... Daddy didn't want them, so we brought them home.

This one was sent by my friends in St. Louis. It's beautiful, but I'm still scratching my head on why they chose something so large. :blink:

Thankfully we're able to lower the backseat of our car.

Attachments

• DSC02873.jpg
    DSC02873.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 12
My B&D Brute self propelled lawnmower earned its keep today. My front yard was covered with leaves from the Arbor Day pin oak I planted 20something years ago. I do not rake leaves because of chronic tendinitis in my hands.
I converted it back to a mulching mower by removing the side chute, removed the bagger chute block, and put the collection bag on the back in less than 3 minutes. With an easy turn of the key starter, I proceeded to "vacuum up" the leaves.
I emptied the bag 4 times for a 90' x 100' area. The mower left some finely chopped leaf mulch on the ground, all the better for naturally fertilizing the lawn. There are a few more leaves on the oak tree, so I will have to get out there one more time before the snow flies.
I got some good walking exercise on a bright sunny autumn day and have a freshly mowed, leaf free front lawn. :dance:

Last edited:
Still working on thank you notes to people that sent flowers, food and visited us last week when momma passed away. Three plants were sent as well.... Daddy didn't want them, so we brought them home.
This one was sent by my friends in St. Louis. It's beautiful, but I'm still scratching my head on why they chose something so large. :blink:
Thankfully we're able to lower the backseat of our car.

It is usually the florist who picks the plant from current stock on hand for an out of town order. I received 2 peace lily plants that were larger than your palm tree. :blink: I donated them to the church where the services were held. If that palm gets too big, look for a local business who has a nice front sitting area. Or a nursing home. Or a doctor's office...

HUG :flowers:

Like tonight's dinner conversation topics (the first meal all could partake in since their illness): the different sounds they make while vomiting and how cool a visual you get when you puke up blue Gatorade. :sick:
Ah yes, much more like my father-son bonding conversations. Did their mother ever hate these moments!

Ha

Today is my two-year retirement anniversary. :dance: I must admit that these have been the happiest two years ever, for me. But then you all knew that.

Also today my workout at the gym was a very good one. I am so much healthier now, at 63, than I was at 61 when I retired.

Yesterday I got an especially becoming haircut, and Frank, as well as several people at the gym, said they like it too. I feel pretty, strong, beloved by Frank, surrounded by friends, and I never have to go to work again. :D

Life is good - -

Congrats W2R on 2 years!

Today I walked into Occupy Chicago, down to about 8 people - probably because of the weather. Then I got my 2nd kegerator co2 tank and got it filled to carbonate the extra kegs of beer that I'll need during the holidays. Now I'm playing with my new iPhone - have Internet and apps running, but don't have it running as a phone yet.

Reactions: W2R
Today is my two-year retirement anniversary. :dance: I must admit that these have been the happiest two years ever, for me. But then you all knew that.

Also today my workout at the gym was a very good one. I am so much healthier now, at 63, than I was at 61 when I retired.

Yesterday I got an especially becoming haircut, and Frank, as well as several people at the gym, said they like it too. I feel pretty, strong, beloved by Frank, surrounded by friends, and I never have to go to work again. :D

Life is good - -

Congratulations W2R! The retirement life is just plain wonderful. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Life is good - -
I was going to cut and paste the best part of your posting, but it's all good. Congratulations on everything.

Life is good - -

W2R-

Congrats!

Buffed, loved, master of your own clock, and a cute haircut to boot. Dudn't get better than that.

It appears Harold Camping has hijacked T-Al's account...

I made it to my birthday...on 22 October 2011.

Glad Camping was wrong! :clap:

He should have stuck with moments of inertia, modulus of elasticity, and California Bearing Ratios.

Resurrected some ancient digital hardware. This was at one time my main workstation. For some reason my employer didn't want it back... Now I have to get the printer working, if the rubber internals haven't all disintegrated by now...

Last edited:
Congratulations on the 2 year mark, W2R :dance:

Today I chiseled away at my ToDo list...
I bought 30 packs of Rolling Rock and Coors Lite beer for the house.
I set 5 mousetraps (no winter condo for meeses in MY garage!). No takers yet...
I stapled plastic over a vertical open spot (for air flow) in my screened porch.
I paid half of the cost of a contract job to install stainless steel flue liners in my 30' high double chimney, fix a stockade fence gate, and retar my furnace exhaust chimney.
I am getting ready to go out tonight for a visit with a friend while Mr B does a computer fix job and will meet up with him later.

I love being FIREd. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom