what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least my son doesn't have to go through this turmoil. He will wear his Mess Dress.
I gave mine away in 2002!

I'll file away Goodwill & J.C. Penney's for future suit shopping. But I'm still holding out for the beach at low tide with rash guards, shorts, slippers, and longboards. It all depends on finding the right groom... and if that sort of venue doesn't appeal to him, then I suspect my surfer-grrrl daughter could conclude that he's not the right groom either.

For at least the last several years a robin has built a nest under our small deck. We only notice because every time one of us walks down the stairs nearby the robin flies out and scolds the intruder from a nearby tree.

So I put the camera on a tripod with the interval timer set to take a photo every 30 seconds for an hour and sometimes end up with an okay shot. This year I have the luxury of two Nikon SB-900 flashes, one operated remotely from a nearby post.

Lighting options are limited because it is underneath a deck. Please excuse the dust, the clothes dryer vent is about four feet away.

Attachments

• Robin_nest-25May_15,_2012.jpg
    Robin_nest-25May_15,_2012.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Robin_nest-35May_15,_2012.jpg
    Robin_nest-35May_15,_2012.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Robin_nest-48May_15,_2012.jpg
    Robin_nest-48May_15,_2012.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Robin_nest-12May_15,_2012.jpg
    Robin_nest-12May_15,_2012.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 11
We're stuck behind an apparently dysfunctional cable modem. The only thing that works is the iPod touch forum app, and slowly. The cable guy is coming today.

Returned home last night from a delightful week in Nova Scotia.
Some of my ancestors stopped off there for a couple of generations between Ireland and the USA, and I've always wanted to visit the area where they lived, just to see it.

Great place. And I confirmed the proposition that no, there is in fact no way you can eat too much lobster!

For at least the last several years a robin has built a nest under our small deck. We only notice because every time one of us walks down the stairs nearby the robin flies out and scolds the intruder from a nearby tree.

So I put the camera on a tripod with the interval timer set to take a photo every 30 seconds for an hour and sometimes end up with an okay shot. This year I have the luxury of two Nikon SB-900 flashes, one operated remotely from a nearby post.

Lighting options are limited because it is underneath a deck. Please excuse the dust, the clothes dryer vent is about four feet away.

Very cool!

We're getting our house in Florida ready to sell. Realtor came by to take pictures, already have first showing scheduled for tomorrow...

On the way from our gym to lunch, F.'s Murano began gagging and about half a dozen warning lights went off. All this just 100 feet before lunch, and after doing a rugged workout I wanted to eat! But instead he turned around, swung by my house so I could follow him in my Venza, and then off to drop it off at the Nissan repair place.
Then back to the other side of the Parish (=county) again to have lunch. Lunch took forever and I was about ready to eat the table linens when it finally arrived. It was free, being the fifth on our lunch card for that restaurant.
Then back to his place. Traffic was awful, and the sky is black as night with an impending thunderstorm.

Somehow, days like this are a lot less stressful in ER. They still happen, though. Now to rest and unwind... :D

We've been without Internet for two days.

Before that we went on a nice bike ride:

LenaRidesBySignSmaller.jpg

Fun flashback to the days of work... No, really!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Internet, I had worked at a couple of neat startup companies post Navy. One initially made hardware, then moved to computer based animation that would eventually get them bought by another company, at which point I jumped to the second startup (some 25 years ago) making really cool cubical black computers and operating system software that would eventually get them bought by another company.

Anywho, a fellow still working at the first company had the idea of doing a benefit for a local museum specializing in cartoons. The benefit will happen while there's a conference in town for folks developing software for the company that bought the black cubical computer firm. So... As a draw for these folks, he's theming the benefit around the black hardware from 20 years ago.

Naturally he needed some of this cool black hardware. I, being a pack rat, had some of this hardware. All that needed to be done was to lean and repair a bit and come up with some running machines, with a specific suite of software installed and running. Holy spiderwebs, Batman! Hilarity ensued... Several days worth... Bad media, blown capacitors, the odd bit of corrosion. The usual...

I delivered the resurrected equipment today, actual running prototype hardware from 20 years ago, made right here in the USA. Delivery was at the animation company, and he was kind enough to show me around. Damn! They've come a long way from beige tilt ups behind a strip mall. The hallways look like a very nice museum exhibit, documenting their newest release. Pretty amazing. If I had to work somewhere, I'd like it to be that place.

Now I just have to clean up the leftover bits. Mañana...

Those are great photos!

Took the Camry to the dealership this morning for the 25,000 miles service. I was the only one under the age of 60 in the waiting room. I guess people my age have better things to do on a Wednesday morning ;). Played a new game on my iPad while they worked on the car. Spent the afternoon chilling.

Tomorrow morning, it's back to the dentist.:(

This one from yesterday, confirmed that robins do in fact eat worms.

Attachments

• Robin_nest-33May_16,_2012.jpg
    Robin_nest-33May_16,_2012.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 10
People are either unobservant or tired at looking at my endless bike ride photos.

Having a coffee on the patio at the local bagel place, reading the forum on my phone. I just had someone comment that I looked comfortable, like I was on vacation. I guess I'm getting the hang of this ER thing :)

I just got back from a 2 day trip to Lake Ontario. My friends' camp (as well as about 20 others on the beachfront) is bordered by the lake and beach on 1 side, and wetlands on the inland side. I did not have my digital camera, but I used my cell camera to take quick shots of 2 sets of very proud Canadian geese parents in the wetlands.
Mr B is not really a hang-at-the-beach type of guy, so he gets to be a bachelor and hold down the fort while I head north and see my friends.
I pitched in and helped my friends do some dead leaf and sand removal from the front walkway and driveway. With west winds up to 30 kts and sometimes worse coming right down the full length of Lake Ontario on a regular basis, the entire property gets "sandblasted".
I had to do something to w*rk off some of the fabulous NY strip steak, mushroom, onion and baked yam dinner I was treated to the night before.
The water was not too bad on the toe test. It will be a few weeks before I bring my snorkel with me on a return trip to go check out the sandbar wave ripples, tiny fishes, freshwater clams, and zebra mussels. BONUS: no sharks or jellyfish to worry about. :cool:
That sandy beach is natural and completely private. If I didn't tell you that was Lake Ontario, it could be mistaken for any ocean coastline.

Attachments

• canadiangeesefamilyLkO2012.jpg
    canadiangeesefamilyLkO2012.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • canadiangeeseLkO2012.jpg
    canadiangeeseLkO2012.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • BeachLkO2012.jpg
    BeachLkO2012.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We're getting our house in Florida ready to sell. Realtor came by to take pictures, already have first showing scheduled for tomorrow...

Yesterday we received an offer on our home by the first agent to see it. Today, we have a couple of showings scheduled. Tonight we are going on a "Ghost Walk" Eau Gallie Ghost Tours | Vintage Ghosts . We may not see any ghosts but it does support a good cause and its fun.

This one from yesterday, confirmed that robins do in fact eat worms.

I really enjoyed those photos. Assuming you used flash, those baby robins are going to require therapy when they grow up.

Did laundry and put it on clothesline; looked for new dishwasher on line; sent graduation card (with money) to relative of friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom