what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed about 1/2 bag of Portland to patch up some places around the homestead. Ms G thinks we are getting critters under the house. I don't think so the snakes and owls do a pretty good j*b of keeping the rodent population under control. I got a photo of a Desert Kingsnake just the tail end because the other end went down a hole. We had people over for Thai Monday one of the dogs found a 6ft Gophersnake at dusk, the snake was a little more aggressive than most of the Gophers I have on the property. But than again a noisy little chow barking 3 ft from his head may have pissed him off.

Desert Kingsnake.jpg

DH returned home yesterday safe and sound from a three week 'epic journey' on his motorcycle. He logged 5,638 miles traveling through TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, NV and UT. On his journey he stayed with friends and family and on occasion camped in his tent.

I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up. :D

Nice photo.

Pretty incredible trip for someone who has been through the health problems your DH has had this year!!! I'll bet he feels exuberant about doing it.

Highs in the 50s for the next few days and I am wearing a wool sweater. Summer started yesterday, right?:LOL:

That is typical SF as I remember it. I never felt like I had a chance to warm up in the summers.

FIREd said:
Waiting for the repair guy (the garbage disposal is not working). After that, the plan is to go walk around downtown. I need to find some important resources like a decent hardware store.

Enjoy your explorations! :)

We've made the decision to move back to Texas today. We originally moved to NV to see if it was where we wanted to retire, but turned out the answer is no.

So, with the recent changes in my job (I've just been made manager in an area that I absolutely LOVE), we've decided to move back so that I can be in the same town as the majority of my employees and my manager. And the decision was made easier because the house we lived in last has been rented and the tenant's lease is up at about the same time that we'll be moving back, so there will be no house hunting involved.

Now for the packing...that's the only downside. BUT, we're not moving until the first week of November, so plenty of time to declutter and pack.

Now to tell my sister-in-law who moved to Henderson from Chicago last year!

Nice photo.

Pretty incredible trip for someone who has been through the health problems your DH has had this year!!! I'll bet he feels exuberant about doing it.
Thank you...:)

It's kind of like one forum member said, or perhaps it is the signature line....'if not today, when?' He had a wonderful time.

He was also in FIREd's neck of the woods. A few days later he enjoyed the view of Crater Lake.

Two more of my favorite pics...:)

Attachments

• DSC03475.jpg
    DSC03475.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC03608.jpg
    DSC03608.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 14
... A few days later he enjoyed the view of Crater Lake...

... while you were staining how many feet of wood fences now? :confused:

PS. Oh forget it! One of these days, I might have to go on an RV trip by myself, and people might feel sorry for my wife, not knowing that it is her choice to stay home.

Last edited:
... while you were staining how many feet of wood fences now? :confused:

PS. Oh forget it! Once of these days, I might have to go on an RV trip by myself, and people might feel sorry for my wife, not knowing that it is her choice to stay home.
:LOL:......there ya go.

There's no way I'd enjoy a 5k+ ride on the back of a motorcycle. So I told him to have fun as I waved goodbye.

The staining job was my idea. I wanted a project while he was gone...I should have picked another project. :facepalm:

Maybe wine-tasting next time...:greetings10:

Today was one of those "more perfect" surfing days where the waves died down long enough to paddle out, and then rose back up to six feet just in time to turn around and surf in. For over two hours.

You know you're doing it right when your butt is sore from all the squatting & carving.

I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up. :D
Hot chrome-- ouch!

Those photos will make a nice coffee table album.

I saw a baby bird take its first flight yesterday. Right on the sill outside the office window (2nd floor), apparently there's a nest. The baby got to the ledge, walked back and forth for about 10 minutes, flapping its wings every so often. Then it just turned around and jumped off ... and flew.

We got a call from my 86 year old Dad. He got a check in the mail for $3500. It was made out to him and it said he should deposit it in his bank account and then mail back $1400 and then he would receive $140,000 that he won. He has slowed down a lot in the last year, isn't as sharp as he used to be but he knew right away that this was a scam.

I'm very proud of him! He knows you don't get something for nothing. I asked him if the letter said where they got his name and address from and he said the letter mentioned his Costco membership. He had a Costco membership many years ago, when Costco first opened in his area, but not anytime recently.

I hope he saved the letter, I'd like to see it. It's scary how the elderly get targeted.

I saw a baby bird take its first flight yesterday. Right on the sill outside the office window (2nd floor), apparently there's a nest. The baby got to the ledge, walked back and forth for about 10 minutes, flapping its wings every so often. Then it just turned around and jumped off ... and flew.

That is beautiful - - thanks. It reminds me of that heady feeling of terror (and glee) when leaving the building on the last day of w*rk, jumping into the immensity of unlimited possibilities and freedom.

That is beautiful - - thanks. It reminds me of that heady feeling of terror (and glee) when leaving the building on the last day of w*rk, jumping into the immensity of unlimited possibilities and freedom.
Very good analogy...:)

We got a call from my 86 year old Dad. He got a check in the mail for $3500. It was made out to him and it said he should deposit it in his bank account and then mail back $1400 and then he would receive $140,000 that he won. He has slowed down a lot in the last year, isn't as sharp as he used to be but he knew right away that this was a scam.

I'm very proud of him! He knows you don't get something for nothing. I asked him if the letter said where they got his name and address from and he said the letter mentioned his Costco membership. He had a Costco membership many years ago, when Costco first opened in his area, but not anytime recently.

I hope he saved the letter, I'd like to see it. It's scary how the elderly get targeted.

If you find the letter, I hope you will send it to the attorney general's office in your state. It may be just what they need to crack down on these people.

Spent most of the morning troubleshooting in the vicinity of energized gear-- our tenant's microwave oven.

I think I have it narrowed down to the control board (probably a bad relay). Voltage goes into the control board, but not very much of it comes out... not enough to run a transformer or a capacitor, let alone a magnetron. It's a $60 part with shipping, but it's taken a lot more time than money to narrow the problem down to this point. You don't find the "live gear" troubleshooting procedures on the manufacturer's website, either. You have to consult those experienced techs at the FixItNow.com forum.

I now know far more about microwave ovens than I really wanted to know. I can probably also draw the block diagram, major components, and protective circuitry from memory...

I did have some outside things to do yesterday but threatening thunderstorm clouds prevented me from starting anything. That's as good an excuse as any for procrastination.

Sitting on the back porch with DW I saw the far-off landing lights of a C5 on its way in to the nearby WVANG base. Ran inside, grabbed the camera which fortunately had the telephoto lens on it and got some shots of it against a sky that only lasted a few moments.

Attachments

• C5-3June_22,_2012.jpg
    C5-3June_22,_2012.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C5-15June_22,_2012.jpg
    C5-15June_22,_2012.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C5-29June_22,_2012.jpg
    C5-29June_22,_2012.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5
Celebrated DD birthday yesterday. They spent thursday night with us after we took the kids and they stayed out late. Friday breakfast out at the local deli. Three egg Denver omelet, hash browns, side of sausage, toast & butter, large oj. Then we went home, passed out. Opened presents, got our second wind, and went out to late lunch at Stir Crazy.

If you find the letter, I hope you will send it to the attorney general's office in your state. It may be just what they need to crack down on these people.

Actually now that I think of it since he received it in the mail could they fashion it as a federal mail fraud charge? That would be nice.

The perps are probably from outside the US though.

Nords said:
I now know far more about microwave ovens than I really wanted to know. I can probably also draw the block diagram, major components, and protective circuitry from memory...

It sounds like you've earned that sig on your qual card!

We got 20 years out of our first microwave. When I popped the dead beast open, I pretty quickly decided that perhaps we should just spring for a new one (lasted 12 years so far...). Twenty years of grease and humidity did a number on that thing.

It sounds like you've earned that sig on your qual card!
We got 20 years out of our first microwave. When I popped the dead beast open, I pretty quickly decided that perhaps we should just spring for a new one (lasted 12 years so far...). Twenty years of grease and humidity did a number on that thing.
I was about to turn it into a spare parts locker, but the additional tips from the FixItNow guys gave me the courage to start waving multimeter probes around near magnetrons and capacitors and transformers.

I was starting to take it personally, too. I hate getting outwitted by inanimate electronics...

Spent most of the morning troubleshooting in the vicinity of energized gear-- our tenant's microwave oven.

I think I have it narrowed down to the control board (probably a bad relay). Voltage goes into the control board, but not very much of it comes out... not enough to run a transformer or a capacitor, let alone a magnetron. It's a $60 part with shipping, but it's taken a lot more time than money to narrow the problem down to this point. You don't find the "live gear" troubleshooting procedures on the manufacturer's website, either. You have to consult those experienced techs at the FixItNow.com forum.

My solution would be a Goodwill unit for $35 or so. And, I am used to working around high voltage with unlimited current, for practical purposes (around 1500 to 2000 Amps). The breakers will re-close 3 times before locking out. Smilies :)
coolsmiley.gif
;) :D:LOL::facepalm: :dance::blush::angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom