what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went to a shopping center (ugh). My grandson will soon be 1, and that is man enough for him to get his first Tonka truck. Looks like this will take some more effort, as Toys R US didn't have any. That is, none. Not even a section. They did have lots of people working there that were entirely unhelpful. The word clueless came to mind more than once.

Not a problem. There's no rush so I'll check out other retail outlets, such as Walmart and Target, and I know Amazon has lots so that will be my fallback. Local purchases are always my first option so I'll reconnoiter the area. This is important, I can't imagine early childhood or manly development without Tonka.

Due to the ages of my children, I have not been inside a Toy-R-Us store in many years. If they no longer have Tonka trucks, I am willing to bet that they make up for it with rows and rows of electronic handheld games, video games, perhaps even false phones so that the youngsters can practice texting long before they get their real phones.

Bod Dylan sings in "The Times They Are A Changin'":

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

Last edited:
Toys are junk now n days. Boy I got a lot of little ones I like to spoil. All plastic crap.

Get off my lawn also

Due to the ages of my children, I have not been inside a Toy-R-Us store in many years. If they no longer have Tonka trucks, I am willing to bet that they make up for it with rows and rows of electronic handheld games, video games, perhaps even false phones so that the youngsters can practice texting long before they get their real phones.

Bod Dylan sings in "The Times They Are A Changin'":

All that and name brand crap stuff in little pieces made of plastic in China.

Toys are junk now n days. Boy I got a lot of little ones I like to spoil. All plastic crap.

Get off my lawn also
That's what I was thinking, but I found the Tonka this afternoon and bought it.

893A0D1119B9F369102311AD7FC0A280.jpg

This is just the beginning :)

Last edited:
That is a GREAT Tonka truck!! I bought the exact same one for Christina when she was little, around 1980. I bought her toys for both sexes, thinking that was a very modern way to parent, but she pretty much only played with the dolls. She used the Tonka Truck to cart around her Barbie dolls. :LOL: But anyway, it was incredibly durable and a really well made toy IMO made mostly of metal, not plastic.

Hit probably over 100 golf balls and think I have my slice perfected. DW and I still doing our daily three mile walks every day in 85°F degree/85% humidity conditions.

Our youngest daughter had never been to Chinatown or North Beach in San Francisco. I don't know how THAT happened. So, while she's on break between semesters and had the day free, we went for a little walk, hitting every goofy tourist trap on Grant Street, City Lights Books, then a late lunch, coal fired pizza at Tony's. We finished up with a walk over the Filbert St steps. Only one parrot today...

Our youngest daughter had never been to Chinatown or North Beach in San Francisco. I don't know how THAT happened. So, while she's on break between semesters and had the day free, we went for a little walk, hitting every goofy tourist trap on Grant Street, City Lights Books, then a late lunch, coal fired pizza at Tony's. We finished up with a walk over the Filbert St steps. Only one parrot today...

My favorite tea shop is on Grant, right in the heart of Chinatown. One of the few non-goofy tourist traps along that stretch.

I had to accompany DW to a company function today. Ugh.

That is a GREAT Tonka truck!! I bought the exact same one for Christina when she was little, around 1980. I bought her toys for both sexes, thinking that was a very modern way to parent, but she pretty much only played with the dolls. She used the Tonka Truck to cart around her Barbie dolls. :LOL: But anyway, it was incredibly durable and a really well made toy IMO made mostly of metal, not plastic.
This one is half plastic and half metal, and the design is a bit different than the one my son used. He used to push around his sisters. :LOL:

Yesterday I went to a shopping center (ugh). My grandson will soon be 1, and that is man enough for him to get his first Tonka truck.

Glad to hear you got the truck. I can't imagine a guy growing up without at least a couple. Geez, he'd be scarred for life!:LOL:

DW's sister (the intelligent one) is coming to stay here this afternoon/evening and then bright & early tomorrow we're all headed off to the eldercare attorney's office for a first meeting to find out what our options are for FIL. Hopefully there are options we don't know about.

A few more photography books arrived yesterday and the budget studio lighting set is due to arrive tomorrow.

Watching the Steelers game. Ahhh football season and the things that come with it. (mainly hot wings and booze)

After 1 week plus of dealing with a sinus infection [-]along with 2 boxes of Kleenex used up and mucho Claritin-D[/-], I had enough oomph to go out and have a beer with Mr B. :dance:
The culprit seems to be the filters in my 2 window AC units. I think I disturbed some geological sedimentary records when I sprayed them clean in the kitchen sink. Oy vey ! :facepalm:
Note to self...ALWAYS clean filters when installing AC units. Sometimes the obvious solution escapes you.

In spite of pouring rain, I fired up the gas grill and made some unbelievable chicken souvlaki. The chicken has been marinating for 3 days in the frig. My grill is undercover on the back porch andthere was no wind, so I stayed dry. :D
I picked a fresh beefsteak tomato, sliced up the tomato and some chilled cukes picked yesterday, set out a bowl of Feta cheese and some warmed up Mediterranean pita bread. What a feast! :dance:

I'm watching Rio Grande on AMC while Mr B does a volunteer thing downtown. We have an all day Legion fundraiser picnic to w*rk tomorrow, so I'll skip going out tonight.

I turned in all the paperwork to formally retire this afternoon (meaning I will soon receive benefits). What a great feeling - this weekend I will be doing the Cool Papa Bell happy dance! :D

Last edited:
I turned in all the paperwork to formally retire this afternoon (meaning I will soon receive benefits). What a great feeling - this weekend I will be doing the Cool Papa Bell happy dance! ;-)

Let me start.:dance:

I turned in all the paperwork to formally retire this afternoon (meaning I will soon receive benefits). What a great feeling - this weekend I will be doing the Cool Papa Bell happy dance! ;-)
I rarely dance in public, but this is a special occasion....
emoticon-animal-058.gif

Congrats!

I rarely dance in public, but this is a special occasion....
emoticon-animal-058.gif

Congrats!

Thank you! You're moving that thing pretty well :cool:

I've said it several times, but it's worth it to again say how much the support and advice of friends here helped me get through the last year of working.

I may have posted this video before, but what the heck... it's good to do "What you SAY?" one more time when you hit the road, Jack :D

Hit the road Jack! - YouTube

Last edited:
DW and I went out and bought new golf clubs today. Whoa $$$$!

DW is new to the game and had been using an old set of my Dad's clubs which were pretty primitive by today's standards and probably not right for her. She spent more than what I would have liked so I hope she sticks with it.

My sticks were at least 15 years old and the technology has changed dramatically over the last 15 years. Now that I am ER I'm playing 3 or so times each week so it was time to upgrade and hopefully improve my enjoyment of the game. My sister said new clubs improved her game quite a bit, so I am hopeful. I was hitting them well on the range anyway.

Okay, this is gonna sound weird on this board. I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow and get some rest. Sundays are slow so I'll spend most of the time reading a book.

Yesterday was a two-hour meeting with the eldercare attorney (at $310/hour) but I get the sense it's going to be well worth it. DW's sister and brother are going to share that expense. It was very intense and covered a lot of material we hadn't known or thought about which makes me think his expertise is worth the fee. It will require much digging for documentation for FIL's income/expenses and some for relatives with disabilities.

That was followed by going out for lunch, then a visit to a Homewood retirement center in Williamsport, MD as a pre-inspection before taking FIL to see it. Normally they have a years-long waiting list but a new building just opened so there is a window before that fills. DW and SIL then went to take FIL out to dinner while I stayed to mow grass and do some digging in the materials we have here.

While I was out cutting grass DW left multiple messages. It seems that FIL had fallen in the yard Wednesday and it had taken him an hour to get up. He had neglected to mention that in phone calls during the week. He seemed in a lot of pain and SIL, a recently retired nurse, thought he might have a fracture so it was off to the hospital ER for x-rays and an exam. DW called at midnight that they were finally back home. So dinner out for them was the hospital cafeteria. She was exhausted by then so stayed at FIL's house overnight. I suspect she is now taking him to see Homewood since I haven't heard anything from her and no answer there.

Oh, and the new studio strobes arrived but I didn't get to do more than check to see that they worked.

This morning was a grocery run, but later today is a bike ride to pick up prescriptions.

Hopefully this afternoon is veg-out time and play with the lights.

I'm getting caught up on reading & blogging, and today feels like the first day all week that I've really made the time to work on it.

I decided that the stock market is approaching stupid high, so yesterday I sold my Dad's shares of Fidelity OTC Portfolio. (FOCPX) It's done relatively well over the last few years, but more importantly I don't think a 78-year-old needs to maintain any exposure to the NASDAQ. (The fund's top three holdings are Apple, Google, & Microsoft.) Time to take some profits off the table, and these low low cap gains tax rates won't be around much longer. He still holds a few more conservative blue-chip, value, & dividend equity funds, but he's almost at the point where most of his assets are in cash.

Later I'm going to get caught up on our own personal finances, and maybe I'll even print out our semi-annual budget report for Jan-June 2012. Of course if I wait a few months more I could just skip straight to the annual report...

I'm going to be visiting my Dad next month, so I'm sorting through our family photos on our hard drive to put together an album. I don't want to use a digital frame because of concerns about pilferage or difficulty of use. I don't want to use a traditional three-ring photo album, either, because it might be hard to store (and because of pilferage). So it's actually the photobook service offered through Costco: http://www.mypublisher.com/offers/costco0605

Yesterday was a two-hour meeting with the eldercare attorney (at $310/hour) but I get the sense it's going to be well worth it. DW's sister and brother are going to share that expense. It was very intense and covered a lot of material we hadn't known or thought about which makes me think his expertise is worth the fee. It will require much digging for documentation for FIL's income/expenses and some for relatives with disabilities.
I hate to say it, but it's worth every penny. It's not as if you have the leisure & energy to shop around. I was being billed at $275-$300/hour, plus extra for "after-hours" and "crisis" response.

The "good" news is that you have the forensic skills & experience to make the search go faster & more thoroughly. I've always wondered what I'd learn if I could do a check of my Dad's local police records over the last few years. Then I tell myself that I really don't want to know.

You probably already know about cardiovascular, blood pressure, and medication side effects. I have three specific concrete suggestions that I've learned from my own experience and from Bob DeMarco's Alzheimer's Reading Room. I'm not suggesting that you're dealing with Alzheimer's, and you may already have seen these:
1. Remove any access to alcohol. Alcohol-exacerbated dementia seems to be much more of a problem than previously understood.
2. There may be a vitamin B12 deficiency.
3. Dementia symptoms can also be worsened by an underactive thyroid.

Those latter two are easily detected by a blood sample, but only if the lab has been told to look for it.

The causes of falls (loss of balance?) seem to be really hard to figure out. Sometimes it's blacking out, other times it's vertigo, still other times the elder doesn't really know (or doesn't want to volunteer the info). A classmate of mine has been dealing with this issue for both of her parents, and it appears to be at least two different causes.

That was followed by going out for lunch, then a visit to a Homewood retirement center in Williamsport, MD as a pre-inspection before taking FIL to see it.
The loss of privacy & independence seem to be the biggest issues. I couldn't figure out any way around that.

You might make a case that "privacy" is in his care facility room with the door shut, while "safety & socializing" are just a call button away.

But in my Dad's case, he was "ordered" by the doctor to spend six weeks of physical therapy at the care facility before the doctor would "let" him go home. By the end of the six weeks Dad was happy to have the staff taking care of chores while he took care of socializing. He admitted that the last two years of independent living had been a steady progression of slowly being overwhelmed by keeping up with the minutiae of daily life.

Reading the elder care literature gives you the impression that the fiercest struggle is over the home (even more than the car keys), yet the biggest relief is getting rid of it. I saw a lot of "Selling my house and moving in here was the best thing I ever did!"

Last edited:
I decided that the stock market is approaching stupid high, so yesterday I sold [...]

I think so, too. In fact, I very nearly called a "Wheee!" last night when I discovered that my portfolio hit another all time high, even higher than it was last spring.

What a giddy feeling! Surely these highs can't last long.

On the first Wheee!!! I remember thinking that nobody had said a word about the market, and wondering if everyone was just sleeping at the wheel or what? I remember thinking that for a couple of weeks before I finally let loose. So, I'd say we are getting pretty close on the Wheee!!!-meter.

Yeah, I just liquidated the remainder of my 2012 withdrawal. Now I am wondering when/if I should pull out a portion of 2013.

Woke up at 5:30 AM (first time in a couple months)...augh.

An hour at the gym, vegan jambalaya for lunch, took an office chair to daughter in Little Rock. On the way back, we stopped at a cinema that shows not-blockbuster-movies and caught Bernie with Jack Black, Shirley McLaine and Matthew McConaughey. It drags a bit toward the end, but DH and I thought it was great...based loosely on a story in a small Texas town. Mortician befriends rich widow, kills her, hides body in a freezer until he is discovered 9 months later. AND, it's a comedy. Story can be found at Midnight in the Garden of East Texas.

Home to eat left-overs, then to a everybody-knows-your-name pub. Hope to get to sleep early to play catch-up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom