what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally returned from my recent adventures( Cruise through New England & Canada and then an unexpected side trip to Pa. to take care of my Mother ). I really observed first hand how a fall can really disorient older people . My Mom was always mentally fine but this fall has made her super anxious and paranoid .Every morning I would have to hunt down different items (depends , polident , chap stick , rosary beads, chocolate milk shake , new pajamas, sneakers ,etc.,etc. and every evening I would get calls where did I hide something or accusing me of deleting her cell phone contents . The funniest thing is when she was being transferred from the rehab unit to the Nursing Unit she wanted her purse because she was sure they were all looking for tips .A lot of us have incredible longevity in our families but except rarely it's not a pretty sight after 92. Sorry if this post is a downer but thanks for letting me vent.

Moemg, sorry to hear about your mom's fall. Hope things are better now. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Installed new light fixture in DW's bathroom. Shortly thereafter she wanted to know if installing a new mirror would present problems. Nah, easy as falling off a log.....

See next week what it is and what is involved in mounting. This will not be a framed thingie with a string in the back. As usual whatever she picks requires advance mechanical/electrical skills and always a few modifications.

Gotta love it, if she walks into a store and sees something she likes, it will be the most complicated and expensive item. Has not failed yet.

I had a great time surfing yesterday, and then spent the rest of the day catching up on all my chores that have been neglected during my three-week Mainland trip. It's probably going to take another week. Or three. Big surf forecast for this weekend.

The first item on the list is moving the blog to Bluehost. I put up a post on that yesterday, and somewhere during the next 72 hours it should happen. I sought professional help so that I [-]could spend more time surfing[/-] didn't make any dumb mistakes. You should either be able to read the blog post, or not be able to read it because the files are being moved. If you can't access the blog then keep checking back to see when it's up-- that's when you'll know the move is complete. Or I'll post about it here.

Then I'm going to take back the blog reins to install its new Genesis theme and crank up the advertising revenue. Google AdSense terms of use do not allow bloggers to claim that they're going to give their money to charity because the claims are too difficult to verify. Well, we're giving the blog revenue to military charities. Not just "net profits" or "a portion of", but ALL of the revenue-- currently split between Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House, over $1600 to date. If you want verification then contact me for a copy of the tax return.

Happy Fun Plumbing Day

We have one of those instant hot water gadgets plumbed into the kitchen sink. It's handy for brewing a quick cuppa, or filling a small pot for boiling. The only tiny little gotcha is that the little heater tanks have a service life of maybe five to seven years with our soft water, and they tend to signal that they have reached the end of their service life by leaking rusty water into the cabinetry.

We detected the characteristic end of life behavior a few days ago.

A detailed examination of the under-sink realm revealed that the hot water gadget wasn't the only plumbing that had reached its expiration date. The cheap shutoff valves with the attached spiral flex tubing showed signs of pinhole leaks in the tubing. The faucet wasn't in great shape, either, with water flowing outside where it should be inside. Clearly this sink was due for a refit.

I ordered a new hot water gadget from the great river of the Internet, and picked up a faucet on the last Costco run. (The buffet lunch was excellent, from the little sausages to the key lime pie. But I digress...) A fan was placed to air out the damp cabinet while i waited for the UPS truck to bring the gadget.

All the needed parts were here this morning, along with the Bucket-O-Plumbing, a five gallon bucket full of odds and ends that inevitably are dug through at least once on each plumbing task. Today was clearly The Day.

With the Bucket in hand, and my shiny red toolbox, I set up base camp in the kitchen. The contents of the under-sink realm were transferred to a big basket, except for a few odds and ends that had done poorly in the recent dampness (cardboard box of dishwasher soap? Down check!) which got tossed. The drain lines were detached, with the whole assembly of PVC set aside for later reinstall. The garbage disposal dropped out easily, after judicious application of WD-40. I shut the water stops, and with a few applications of a tubing cutter, all the old waterlines were out. A little more WD-40 and the old faucet and hot water dispenser were out.

Two new shutoff valves, with proper compression fittings instead of that spiral flex tubing had to be installed, so while DW went out to lunch, I shut off the house water. The old valves were pulled, pipes cleaned up, and the new valves were installed. They were shut, and the house water was restored. No leaks!

I fitted in the new faucets, and mounted the new hot water tank, resorting to the Bucket for proper parts to mount the tank. Two sheet metal screws into wallboard got a big thumbs down from me. With the tank hung, the water and vent lines snapped right in. The new supply lines went onto the new valves, and I had everything all connected and tidy in maybe an hour. I opened the valves, and checked for leaks. None!

I reinstalled the garbage disposal and the drain line assembly, and got that all snugged down. After one more check for leaks, I flushed all the lines, filled and flushed the little hot water tank, and plugged it in.

Fifteen minutes later, I had funny tasting hot water. (The tank needs to be flushed a couple of times after it gets hot.)

So, I think I had a successful day. No leaks so far, anyway.

I'm relaxing and reading "Rapture of the Nerds" now, in which the protagonist has a rather different day than mine, starting with jury duty and becoming rapidly weirder from there.
Yes, but have you filed an incident report with Naval Reactors, including your determination of "material deficiency" as the root cause? Or are we going to be reading about this all over again in just five-to-seven years, not having learned and applied the applicable lessons?

Maybe we could screw on little threaded watertight caps over all the valves that were likely to leak hot pressurized [-]coolant[/-] water. Then we could put little vents on the caps so that we could check them periodically to measure how much they're leaking. Hypothetically speaking. I wonder if that's ever been tried before.

If you were in the Navy then you'd be a Machinist's Mate. Oh wait. I mean an electronics technical expert who's not afraid to grow a little scar tissue on his knuckles...

DW did a 7K race this morning while I hung around the start/finish area in my lederhosen. This is Oktoberfest weekend in the city, and I have often been told I look "extremely German." Must be true, because I had at least half a dozen people come up and ask to take my picture. Either that or they wanted something to laugh about later.

The only reason I didn't run was because I did a half marathon last weekend and wasn't quite ready.

If you're ever near Cincinnati (or Zinzinnati as they like to say) around this time of year, by all means try to visit our Oktoberfest celebration downtown. It's the biggest one in the world outside of the original in Munich, Germany, and really a lot of fun.
I grew up in Cincy and did attend for years...until I moved. When I FIRE in about 2 more years...we will definitely make the 2+ hour trip to go again. I know the city well enough to get around on buses etc.....as I know parking is tricky for that as well as Riverfest.

Nords said:
Yes, but have you filed an incident report with Naval Reactors, including your determination of "material deficiency" as the root cause? Or are we going to be reading about this all over again in just five-to-seven years, not having learned and applied the applicable lessons?
"Recently, in a Corbett-class home, inadequate periodic inspection and maintenance of a low pressure auxiliary water delivery system led to a loss of containment..."

[QUOTE="Nords"Maybe we could screw on little threaded watertight caps over all the valves that were likely to leak hot pressurized [-]coolant[/-] water. Then we could put little vents on the caps so that we could check them periodically to measure how much they're leaking. Hypothetically speaking. I wonder if that's ever been tried before.

If you were in the Navy then you'd be a Machinist's Mate. Oh wait. I mean an electronics technical expert who's not afraid to grow a little scar tissue on his knuckles...[/QUOTE]

If I wanter to really do it up right, I would have done all repairs while wearing bright orange gloves, a white bunny suit, and respirator. DW would probably be annoyed if I installed 150# air manifolds in the house, though. Especially if I made her qualify on air compressor operations...

Excuse me, I have to go check the refrigerator compressor for sound shorts...

http://www.trolinger.com/david/simulate.html

I am back at home, all tuckered out from RV'ing. RV'ing is fun, but the driving can be exhausting.

On the first leg of the trip, we drove through Joshua Tree NP, on the way to camping in Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs. I have driven through Sequoia NP before. It was 30 years ago on the way to San Francisco, but one did not get to see much on a day trip. That time, we did not even have the time to take short hikes to see General Sherman and General Grant trees (the world's first and second largest trees by trunk volumes). In fact, the motorhome was parked in a campground not too far from the General Grant Grove. And the campground in Kings Canyon where we stayed was littered with huge tree stumps that must have been from dead or fallen Sequoia trees.

Next, we camped near Sacramento for a visit. We then drove by SF to go up coastal Highway 1 to a timeshare where we stayed for a week. We also took the occasion to visit Muir Woods. This small park is popular due to its vicinity to SF, but its trees are not too impressive compared to those in other California parks.

We have gone on parts of Hwy 1 on many trips, but had not been on this segment between Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg. After staying a week in the comfort of the timeshare cabin, I did not feel like driving further up the coast to Eureka. Before the trip, I had planned to camp out among the tall redwoods of northern coastal California (which I had also driven through many years ago), but decided to save that for a future trip when I wander through that region again. So, I turned south and went home, taking the interstates most of the way.

The last time I drove on the I-5 segment between Oakland and Bakersfield was 25 years ago. Traffic was sparse then, compared to now. There used to be just prairies along the road, spreading for hundreds of miles. Now, there are lush orchards of pistachio and almond trees, which run nearly continously along the freeway. The last time I was on that stretch of freeway, California was in a drought, and people in the LA area had to take showers standing in buckets to catch the gray water to use on their lawn. And now, there is irrigation all over the place. But along the freeway, there were signs by farmers blaming a House Bill and some congressmen for limiting their water. Where did they find water for all that agricultural activities in the first place?

So, I had to look up on the Web, and learned about the CVP (Central Valley Project) that supplies water to the San Joaquin Valley, and also the controversy behind all that water business.

The current political and environmental dispute over water rights reminded me of the intriguing water rights in the plot of the movie "Chinatown", set in the 1930s. I want to watch that movie again.

PS. By the way, the trackbar improvement that I did on the MH worked out great. I still cringe when thinking how I could survive that first RV trip, when I drove the MH for the first time towing the toad, sans track bar, anti-roll bar, and with mushy rear shock absorbers. I was constantly fidgeting with the steering wheel to keep the RV in its lane.

This time, I was doing OK on the twisty coastal Highway 1 and even some narrower roads.

Last edited:
Last couple days have been dark and dreary with some rain.

Been watching the Ryder Cup matches. Boy those guys are good. The USA has been on a tear. Been particularly enjoying watching Keegan Bradley since he grew up in Vermont, just a couple hours south of us.

I am back at home, all tuckered out from RV'ing. RV'ing is fun, but the driving can be exhausting.

Driving in general seems to be more exhausting than it used to be, to both F and me. Seems like the other drivers are getting crazier and harder to dodge these days. Or, [-]maybe[/-] we are getting older.

Glad you are enjoying your RV.

We've been home for four days and I've been surfing twice. I'm finally restoring the balance to my life.

The blog has been moved to Bluehost. That went exceptionally well, especially if you know how to screw it up on your own. Now it's just like any other move-- I have to unpack a bunch of boxes, try to remember where I put all sorts of important things, and end up with the place looking trashed for a few days until I'm done trying every possible combination of furniture in every room.

Thanks-- I've been collecting them:
Sea story: Simulate submarine life at home | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

I was asked to write it in a gender-neutral format...

Went out for a motorcycle ride, picking up a few items on the way like a prescription for DW and a gel cell battery for a gigunda flashlight that FIL gave us.

It is odd how on a motorcycle, a trip to pick up a prescription four miles away takes 60 miles to complete.

I decided to try some "light painting" which means making a long exposure in otherwise dark conditions and then "painting" with light to only expose the area you want exposed. The sky is that dark blue because the camera white balance is set to the color of the light from the flashlight. At the time this was taken it was too dark to see the controls on the camera. It is a 30-second exposure. The result has kind of a Halloween potential.

Attachments

• Light_painting.jpg
    Light_painting.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 19
Walt34 said:
Went out for a motorcycle ride, picking up a few items on the way like a prescription for DW and a gel cell battery for a gigunda flashlight that FIL gave us.

It is odd how on a motorcycle, a trip to pick up a prescription four miles away takes 60 miles to complete.

I decided to try some "light painting" which means making a long exposure in otherwise dark conditions and then "painting" with light to only expose the area you want exposed. The sky is that dark blue because the camera white balance is set to the color of the light from the flashlight. At the time this was taken it was too dark to see the controls on the camera. It is a 30-second exposure. The result has kind of a Halloween potential.

Went to the annual Harley Davidson Open House in York, Pa, rode my motorcycle to attend an Apple Butter Boil, reassembled my trebuchet so that will throw a 8lb pumpkin a football field length, and finally ate some dinner at an Italian restaurant. It was a good day.

After a really busy week at w*rk, I was really looking forward to today. I had a teleconference with a group of colleagues at 9 am (w*rk related, and I had to do an hour of prep w*rk for it). Then showered, dressed and had coffee. Did some housework, then drove 90 km south to a winery where I have a club membership. It was the day of the pickup party, when you get your case of wine for the year or half year. Last year I signed up for a case of reds. The party was free to members of the wine club, and included an excellent rock concert by a group of ERs who have been playing together since they were teens in the 1960s. A pig was barbecued, salads were eaten, wine was consumed, and 500 people enjoyed the view of the valley from the amphitheater in 24 degree C sunshine. It was, in short, delightful. On the drive home, I stopped at a vegetable stand and bought enormous yams, squash, and crab apples. I am now enjoying a dish of baked yams, squash, crab apples, coconut milk and mascarpone cheese, with steak, mushrooms and red wine.

It was a good day!

http://www.tinhorn.com/

Last edited:
Friday was my first physical therapy session for a torn rotator cuff. Another 8 or so to go. It's gonna be fun.

Went to see the Northwestern Wildcats play Indiana yesterday, and we tailgated after the game. Gametime was 11:00 am, I was there at 10:00 for some pregame socializing with my brother and his wonderful DW. Amazing the drinking going on at that that time of day.

Reactions: W2R
Today is my first day of FIRED. It seems like I am on vacation. Plan is no plan just putzin around. May go to lake if weather is good or may read a book or both or maybe not.

Did some clean up around the yard, then brought in the alpaca ground crew to work on the weeds behind the house.

img_1236913_0_021d7fc50140bbed133076522ff756ae.jpg

I have been watching the Blue Angels practice over downtown San Francisco for tomorrow's Fleet Week air show - all from the comfort of my living room.

Today I decided to throw some money at my wardrobe. I have lost 22 pounds since retirement and have purged some of my wardrobe but now I have to purge the rest .I've written a list of what I need and now I have to find it . I find I only like certain retailers so that makes it easier . Chico's , JJill , Talbots , Lands End here I come !

I have been watching the Blue Angels practice over downtown San Francisco for tomorrow's Fleet Week air show - all from the comfort of my living room.

Cool. I've seen the Thunderbirds a couple different times but never have seen the Blue Angels. The son of a woman who I worked with many years ago was a member of their flight crew - saw the world.

Lazy day today-- worked on the blog, got caught up on two months of credit-card bills, read everything on the Internet, churned through an old novel.

Did some clean up around the yard, then brought in the alpaca ground crew to work on the weeds behind the house.
Speaking as a Navy veteran, I'm impressed. How did you get them to proceed across the property in such an evenly-spaced line abreast formation?

Yesterday got up at 0430 (the things I do for love!) to go with DW for a colonoscopy, but that didn't happen because she couldn't keep the prep stuff down so of course it didn't, um, "work". Both of us feeling tired the rest of the day from getting up way too early.

So instead I changed the anti-freeze on the truck, and I bought some flowers for DW since she was tired from no food all day and after a crash nap took her out to dinner last night.

Attachments

• Fall_flowers-1.jpg
    Fall_flowers-1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Fall_Flowers-4.jpg
    Fall_Flowers-4.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Fall_Flowers-7.jpg
    Fall_Flowers-7.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Fall_Flowers-6.jpg
    Fall_Flowers-6.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 2
Speaking as a Navy veteran, I'm impressed. How did you get them to proceed across the property in such an evenly-spaced line abreast formation?

I certainly can't credit my Air Force experience (in some ways, that was like being a civilian without having to decide what to wear to work).

I've shown this shot to a couple of others who have commented on the nice alignment. Guess I can chalk it up to good cropping since there were two others on the far right that just weren't with the program that wouldn't fit in the view finder!

This morning Home Depot came out and measured in preparation for replacing my carpet, that was soaked and had to be torn out after Hurricane Isaac.

It will be so nice to not be living in a construction zone type of decor, eventually! :D

Went to the home show and got discouraged. It sounds like maybe I won't be able to afford all the repairs needed on that house I offered on. >>sigh<<

I was too tuckered out to stay for the second seminar I wanted to go to, "the ten pitfalls of remodeling".

It will be so nice to not be living in a construction zone type of decor, eventually! :D

That does wear thin after a while. It is reminiscent of the "early poverty" style of decor such as the bookcases made of plain pine boards and cinder blocks. Yup, I had a set of those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom