what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've discovered I'm more of a biscuit dough handler than phyllo dough. :dead:
So, you like handling things?:D

It turned out very well and I'm stuffed right about now.

Here's a pic....
Yum. That looks so good. Between freebird's prep tips and your photos all I can think about is DW's baklava. :) I can feel the pounds coming on.

looks yummy!!!!

So, you like handling things?:D

Yum. That looks so good. Between freebird's prep tips and your photos all I can think about is DW's baklava. :) I can feel the pounds coming on.
Thanks y'all...:flowers:

...and yes, I like handling things. Always have been a 'hands on' kind o' gal... (bahdoomching!)

For now I'm gonna stay away from phyllo dough tho...at least for a few days. I need to give my bruises a chance to heal. :D

Last edited:
I awoke to a chily morning - 31F. Brrrrrrr :(
I made Mr B and I some buttermilk crepes - thinner batter and cooked in the classic crepe style. I added a few pieces of smoked maple BACON to the feast. yum yum....:D

I checked on my plants in the enclosed porch. Most of the pepper plants were wilted, so I harvested the fruits and cut down the plants for the compost.

I just had to play with my food...photo 1, Peppers in Paradise.

Then the other side of my brain kicked in...photo 2, Peppers on Parade.

Now I KNOW I'm losing it. ;)

So, what other kinds of plant you growing?

Gonna fix a new Greek dish tonight. The crust is Phyllo sheets, a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, eggs, onion and garlic will go in the dish. On a whim, decided to add ground lamb. Will heat up left over Dolmas as well.

It's called Spanakopita. Say that three times really fast.

Sounds kind of naughty doesn't it?

Spank-a-whattica?

Might have to try that. :p

I have made [-]moose caca[/-] moussaka before.

<snip>

Spank-a-whattica?

Might have to try that. :p

I have made [-]moose caca[/-] moussaka before.
I highly recommend it. ;)

I'm considering Puttanesca...might have to leave the windows open for that one.

I highly recommend it. ;)
Spank-a-whattica or moussaka :confused:

I'm considering Puttanesca...might have to leave the windows open for that one.
Had to look that one up. Interesting! How that name came about, anybody knows?

PS. The missus wanted to make a quick run to a nearby Costco for some staples. So just came back from there. Saw they had boxes of Spank, er, Spanakopita in the freezers. Too big a box for me to try now, but will get one to serve as appetizer finger food for Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Spank-a-whattica or moussaka :confused:
Both...;)
Had to look that one up. Interesting! How that name came about, anybody knows?

PS. The missus wanted to make a quick run to a nearby Costco for some staples. So just came back from there. Saw they had boxes of Spank, er, Spanakopita in the freezers. Too big a box for me to try now, but will get one to serve as appetizer finger food for Thanksgiving.
It's Greek to me...

Nice day here today (62F) so I got ambitious and took out my sailboat, the boatlift (with DS, my 4WD pickup and a bit of improvisation), the dock, the jet ski and the jet ski lift. DW actually mentioned that I was ambitious today!!

The only toy left in the water is my bowrider and my Mom's dock (which easily pulls out of the water with my pickup).

Still need to powerwash a summer of pond scum off the pieces that were under water but we'll have nice days to do that before the snow flies.

I've discovered I'm more of a biscuit dough handler than phyllo dough. :dead:

It turned out very well and I'm stuffed right about now.

Here's a pic....
Nice job! :cool: Although not 100% traditional, I like the idea of putting ground lamb in it. :D

Mr B and I bought five 2 lb butterflied boneless lamb pieces for an excellent price when we were in NH in Septmber.
I intend to grind at least one up and make some homemade gyro (pronounced (h)yeer-oh) meat. I don't own a rotisserie but I have a few ideas for making it in the convection over. Frequent spraying with basting juice will be key to keeping it moist.
I just need to find the recipe for the spices for gyro meat. These look pretty good at first glance.
Traditional Gyro Meat Recipe - Allrecipes.com
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1761,131188-252199,00.html

I am recovering from a very looooong day yesterday.

My Jets had a great day :dance:

It was mid 70s temps, sunny, and the crowd was well behaved. I paid $12.00 for a draft Heineken beer. Domestic bottled beer (plastic stadium version) was $9.50 so I said what the heck. I bought my friend one also since he refused my offer for gas money. One each was plenty.

My downstate NY accent has been re-charged. I had a hot pastrami sandwich with spicy deli mustard for lunch. I brought REAL bagels home. Life is good. ;)

A few pics..I made sure I got a pic of the cheerleaders for youse guys...:D
Get yer magnifying glasses out.

Attachments

• jets1.jpg
    jets1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
  • cheerleaderscrop.jpg
    cheerleaderscrop.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I just finished happily hand washing last nights dinner. Happy why, the last flush last night was water less. Out to the circuit breaker, and the pump house, couldn't find anything wrong, decided to wait for the break of dawn to check the cables in the wellhead. Found the problem easily enough the black wire to the main motor winding was fried. Now how far down my 450 ft well will I have to replace? Luckily not far, looks like the insulation was worn and shorted out on the steel well casing. Still ended up being an hour job, Ms G was so happy, I again got the hero's welcome when the faucets ran water. Ohm test shows that my pump motor is just about the same place it was 4 years ago, not 100% more like 80% and that's good enough.

Congrats on a relatively easy fix. Other than the one time I had a broken PVC pipe between the holding tank and the pressure pump, my well repairs have all involved replacing pumps. :p

M Paquette said:
We did our annual run to Apple Hill today. BBQ tri-tip sandwiches for lunch, and apple pie, apple turnovers, and apple donuts for dessert. Oh, and there's now a big ole apple pie in the freezer to be baked for Thanksgiving. :)

Used to belong to Madrona winery up there. Good wine.

Mr B and I bought five 2 lb butterflied boneless lamb pieces for an excellent price when we were in NH in Septmber.
I intend to grind at least one up and make some homemade gyro (pronounced (h)yeer-oh) meat. I don't own a rotisserie but I have a few ideas for making it in the convection over. Frequent spraying with basting juice will be key to keeping it moist.
I just need to find the recipe for the spices for gyro meat. These look pretty good at first glance.
Traditional Gyro Meat Recipe - Allrecipes.com
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1761,131188-252199,00.html
I would have thought someone who's 1/2 Greek would be making gyro all the time. ;)

I remember watching an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown showed how to make gyro meat with a regular BBQ. Just searched the Web, and found it. The episode title mimics a popular movie: My Big Fat Greek Sandwich : Good Eats : Food Network. Besides the recipe, there's also a shortened video clip of the episode.

I thought I would try it, but have not. We usually go to a Greek restaurant whenever we feel a craving for gyro. One of these days I may try to make it.

PS. Just recently, we got our fix of duck confit at a restaurant in SF, so the urge to learn to make my own has subsided for a while.

Last edited:
I would have thought someone who's 1/2 Greek would be making gyro all the time. ;)

I remember watching an episode of "Good Eats" where Alton Brown showed how to make gyro meat with a regular BBQ. Just searched the Web, and found it. The episode title mimics a popular movie: My Big Fat Greek Sandwich : Good Eats : Food Network. Besides the recipe, there's also a shortened video clip of the episode.

So where was the Windex ? :LOL: I can't believe Alton passed on that joke from the movie.

TY so much for that link. :flowers: I used to watch Alton all the time. Some of his zanier episodes were a hoot to watch. :D

I just printed out the recipe and added the link in a calendar reminder for myself. I liked the post-cooking brick trick when using a conventional oven to cook the gyro meat. Pretty slick!

Today I rested. I was up until 230 AM. :blush:

Last night, I went to a local watering hole for a few brewskis while Mr B took his midterm. I ran into some folks I knew from younger days of stopping there for a beer and pizza and wings for takeout after w*rk.
5 of us watched the debate. No commentary on the debate shall leave my lips. However, it was very interesting to people watch while that was on the TV.
I had a nice buzz on, so Mr B picked me up on his way home. I had a craving for homemade tacos, the kind where you quickly fry soft white/yellow corn tortillas and fill them with meat, cheese, and chopped mild hot peppers. Woooo :dance:
I didn't want to get night burps, so I stayed up for a few hours, surfing and writing emails.

This afternoon, while Mr B studied for midterm number 2, I made an apple crumb coffee cake to use up 3 apples leftover from a 5 lb bag of fresh NY Macoun apples. Mr B probably will NOT share that with his morning coffee buddies at the Legion. :LOL:
So I will make something else for him to bring to the clache. Something with fruit and phyllo dough. Hmmm...better go google that.

Last edited:
Just saw this on the tube...if you love classic horror movies, Turner Classic Movie channel is showing vintage films every Wed night in October.
Get the DVR programmed! It's on now!

First up...1958 version of Horror of Dracula

check out the original movie poster, courtesy of imdb.com.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051554/

Last edited:
I used to watch Alton all the time. Some of his zanier episodes were a hoot to watch. :D
Up until I was 45, I did not cook anything other than boiling eggs or pouring hot water into instant ramen nooddle cups. Then, I discovered that cooking was fun too. Prior to that, I never paid much attention to the culinary art, as I always thought that a gentleman ate to live, not lived to eat. How dumb I was! Both extremes were wrong.

It was not until seeing my late father no longer being able to eat, in fact not even to drink tea which he loved to do, that I was awakened up to the fact that food and the art of cooking were the joys in life that I missed until that point.

Alton Brown's shows were the inspiration for me to learn to cook. As an engineer, I've always loved to build or create things, and a cook does exactly the same. I am not good enough with cooking to create anything new and never will be, but getting involved with cooking even gets me to appreciate food or dishes in restaurants more.

One time, we were dining out with a friend of my wife. The friend invited me to a taste of her dish, and I said that there was a hint of cumin in it, despite my rather poor palate. She couldn't tell that it was cumin. I felt so smug!

Last edited:
I pretty much hate cooking, but I like healthy and tasty eating, so except for when I have dinner at GFs, maybe 2x/week, I cook. Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.

Ha

I pretty much hate cooking, but I like healthy and tasty eating, so except for when I have dinner at GFs, maybe 2x/week, I cook. Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.

Ha
Got oatmeal and raisins on hand ? Quick and dirty! ;)

Today was one of those retirement days i love...the kind of day i would have called wasted a few years ago.
Awake at 8:15, read email and paper, drank rasberry zinger tea, went to gym, re-potted key lime tree. DH fixed lunch (assorted leftovers). Trip to grocery store, puttered around house, including project of Brasso-ing kitchen cabinet handles, worked on Precept bible study (which i am learning much from) on Ephesians, fixed salad for dinner.
I love cooking and enjoy it so much more since retiring. Today, i didn't do any. Going more plant-based these days, and that is causing more challenges. The new eating habits seemingly have taken care of stomach problems, so am determined to stick with it 80% of the time.

Getting ready for a yard sale...Friday & Saturday. This is the third yard sale we have had in 32 years of marriage. I put in the ad to please, please not show up before 8AM. I wanted to add that We are retired and need our sleep, but decided that might sound cantankerous, plus the extra characters in ad would cost an additional $2.00, lol.
We definitely have serious junky junk with which to part.

Right now I am procrastinating getting started on dinner, and I am about half starved too.

Cooking for one is tough. When I cook, I particularly like to do it for a party. It does not take more work to cook for 6 or 8 than for 2. It is so easy to make too much for a single person. My mother lives by herself, and every so often, my sister would have to pay a visit and throw away the leftovers in her fridge.

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions. Perhaps single persons living in a neighborhood should form a club to take turn cooking for the entire group.

Last edited:
Cooking for one is tough. When I cook, I particularly like to do it for a party. It does not take more work to cook for 6 or 8 than for 2. It is so easy to make too much for a single person. My mother lives by herself, and every so often, my sister would have to pay a visit and throw away the leftovers in her fridge.

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions. Perhaps single persons living in a neighborhood should form a club to take turn cooking for the entire group.
When I was single I dealt with this by cooking on Fri/Sat/Sun night... then rotating the leftovers for the rest of the week.
Good thing I like my own cooking. LOL

Heck - we still do this to an extent - during the work week (since I'm not retired yet) we do reheats at least half the time - but cook from scratch for the weekend meals.

Talk about leftover, even cooking for 2, whether intentionally or not we more often than not have leftovers. I would be lying if I said that we always cooked something fresh each day.

My wife tends to cook larger portions than I do. She would say that it was to make it worthwhile. Getting tired of leftover was another good reason for me to step in and share some cooking to give her a break. I am also more willing to try something different and adventurous, while my wife makes mostly traditional home meals. It works out OK that way.

If I lived by myself, I might just eat ramen noodle year round. Or I would make something very simple to avoid the hassle of preparing and cleaning up just to make small portions.
Exactly. No ramen noodles here, but I am just about to grill a single portion of fish on my indoor grill. I bag chicken, fish, and meat in individual portions and freeze immediately upon returning from the grocery store.

I could start some rice in my rice maker, first, but don't feel like I need the carbs tonight. Instead, I'll just warm up some vegetables. That should about do it. Keeping things simple really helps, IMO. I don't see any sense in spending more time cooking dinner than it takes to eat it, unless cooking for a family.

Last edited:
I don't see any sense in spending more time cooking dinner than it takes to eat it...
For me, that would mean instant ramen noodle because I am a fast eater. :)

Cooking is more fun when one has someone to share the meal with. I am a fast eater, but a slow cook, and I often enjoy cooking while sipping a glass of wine. Yes, I still like to cook.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom