what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever feel like playing some video games? Yesterday I declared it a video game day, and played video games or did other related activities for almost 12 hours without a break.

First I played "Animal Crossing, City Folk" for a couple of hours.
Then "Elderscrolls V: Skyrim" for 3+ hours.
Then "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future" for 2-3 hours until I finished it. Then went on Amazon and ordered "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask".

Each of these video games is very different from the others, so it was impossible to get bored.

Somehow in the middle of all of this I managed to find the time to listen to a Youtube showing someone's first 70 minutes of game play of the brand new just-released Japanese version of "Animal Crossing, New Leaf", which will not be released in the US until next year. Fascinating! I watched the 70 minute video straight through and watched parts of it a second time. I can hardly wait to see and play the English version. Meanwhile, watching this video I just wished I understood more Japanese.

All of this was after F dropped me off at my house at 3:30, following our usual trip to the gym and restaurant lunch together.

What a perfect day. :D One aspect of retirement that I truly enjoy is that often one can do what one happens to want to do on a given day, to one's heart's content, finally.

P.S. - - playing video games is a truly relaxing post-election break for those of us who were worrying too much about the future of our country!

Last edited:
One aspect of retirement that I truly enjoy is that often one can do what one happens to want to do on a given day, to one's heart's content, finally.
+1

Although for me, playing video games for 12 hours would be a form of torture. My attention span begins to drift after 5 or 10 minutes.

I finally gave in and ordered a new riding mower. My old Craftsman made it through 13 seasons and the engine is still great, but I've hit so many rocks and other hazards over the years that the frame, steering and other components are shot. The broken front axle was the last straw.

+1

Although for me, playing video games for 12 hours would be a form of torture. My attention span begins to drift after 5 or 10 minutes.

What, you wouldn't be utterly thrilled to watch a 70 minute video of somebody else's video game play, all in Japanese without a word of English so that you are just guessing as to what is going on? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, some video games are like that for me too, because games with nothing but ultra-violence turn me off. But the 5% or so that I really like are such fun to play that I can play them for hours and hours.

I think my attention span would drift after 5 or 10 minutes of shopping for a riding mower.... :hide:

Last edited:
We came back from a long lunch with my daughter and son at a Greek restaurant. I got enough of gyro meat to last me a while. And we shared a pitcher of sangria too. I guess the trial of Alton Brown's recipe and method will get delayed a few more months.

Gosh, as much as I like to eat, I don't think I can eat for 12 hours, let alone playing video games or riding a mower for 12 hours. Can you?

About the only thing I can do for 12 hours straight would be to sleep, after having so much to eat and drink. Like right now! See ya all later. Much later.

Last edited:
Today I have discovered Trainyard, an excellent game for spatial INTJs like me who love trains! I knew I shoulda been an engineer......

Today I have discovered Trainyard, an excellent game for spatial INTJs like me who love trains! I knew I shoulda been an engineer......

And I found Sid Meier's Railroads yesterday, another addictive train game.:)

Busy day yesterday. Thursday was moving day for FIL into a one-bedroom apartment. He was very sleepy all day and at times seemed almost incoherent. DW stayed there that night and although he had seen a physician the day before for a scheduled appointment DW took him to the hospital ER for what she thought would be more of a precautionary measure than something serious. In the meantime I was shuffling pickup truck loads of stuff from one place to another. We'd had a moving company do the heavy lifting but there are still seemingly endless details in doing a move for someone else.

Good thing she took him to the hospital. He was admitted in a diabetic coma and when the doc there called here at 11:00 pm it didn't help when she started asking if there was a POA and health care directive. (There are.) Retired nurse SIL is more optimistic about the outcome and believes he'll be mostly okay in a day or two and will have to have blood sugar levels monitored much more closely in the future. Wait and see I guess.

In the meantime we also had to pick out colors for the kitchen cabinets, counter tops, and roofing material for FIL's house in prepping that for sale, and deal with lots of phone calls with relatives. There is still plenty of other stuff to do with the house, including finding a disposition for the furniture he has no use for and a car that is virtually scrap.

Hopefully all of this stuff with the house will be done with in a few months.

Busy day yesterday. Thursday was moving day for FIL into a one-bedroom apartment. He was very sleepy all day and at times seemed almost incoherent. DW stayed there that night and although he had seen a physician the day before for a scheduled appointment DW took him to the hospital ER for what she thought would be more of a precautionary measure than something serious. In the meantime I was shuffling pickup truck loads of stuff from one place to another. We'd had a moving company do the heavy lifting but there are still seemingly endless details in doing a move for someone else.

Good thing she took him to the hospital. He was admitted in a diabetic coma and when the doc there called here at 11:00 pm it didn't help when she started asking if there was a POA and health care directive. (There are.) Retired nurse SIL is more optimistic about the outcome and believes he'll be mostly okay in a day or two and will have to have blood sugar levels monitored much more closely in the future. Wait and see I guess.

In the meantime we also had to pick out colors for the kitchen cabinets, counter tops, and roofing material for FIL's house in prepping that for sale, and deal with lots of phone calls with relatives. There is still plenty of other stuff to do with the house, including finding a disposition for the furniture he has no use for and a car that is virtually scrap.

Best of luck getting through all this!

I finally gave in and ordered a new riding mower. My old Craftsman made it through 13 seasons and the engine is still great, but I've hit so many rocks and other hazards over the years that the frame, steering and other components are shot. The broken front axle was the last straw.

You sure know how to live it up, you maniac... :p

Your FIL is fortunate to have all this help.

When I went through an Aunt's things after she left, there were a few pieces of furniture no one wanted, I found a local furniture maker that ran a rehabilitation center. They picked these pieces up, used them to train people in the center in furniture restoration, and then sold them, using any proceeds to fund their rehabilitation efforts.

Well, it's been an interesting last 3 days. I had a tooth extracted on Thursday. It turns out that cracked filling and wobbling was a tooth completely split in half. There was no chance of repair.
I told the dentist I was very nervous [-]a true chicken in the chair[/-] but trusted him. I've never been awake for an extraction. The sounds were the worst part. :blink:
I did my salt water rinsing religiously. :angel:
I now have to decide on a bridge or an implant. Either way, my self-paid dental insurance covers only 50% of the cost.
I am perfecting the art of cooking and eating semi soft food on 1 side of my mouth until the extraction site heals. I ground up some turkey for turkey salad on white bread, boiled some broken up linguine in chicken broth, and fried up some presliced gyro meat to go with tzatziki I just made. Next stop...pancakes. :LOL:

I have a steak and pizza craving that will not stop. :rolleyes:

I splurged and got my car detailed. OK, it was a 1/2 price Groupon, but it felt like a splurge.

We've been together 6 years and the thrill is gone, so I thought I've add a little sizzle back into our lives. She looks as good as she ever did with a shiny wax job, shampooed upholstery, scrubbed and shined sidewalls and even a clean and waxed engine compartment.

Of course, it is supposed to rain tomorrow and I live on a gravel road.

2754346947_f480734559.jpg

Ditto.

Nothing to do with life after FIRE but I just completed my last ever self assesment at work. :dance:

Since I will not be bonus eligible this year, the review does not affect me at all so it ended up being about a third of its usual length. For some reason, I just couldn't find the motivation to put as much effort into it as usual.

Nothing to do with life after FIRE but I just completed my last ever self assesment at work. :dance:

Reminds me of a guy at my former job who when filling out the form for his goals for the year ahead wrote "Retire".

Made me wish I'd thought of it.

Best of luck getting through all this!

There is light at the end of the tunnel, I think. FIL was much better yesterday and carried on a two-hour conversation with DW and that hasn't happened for a couple of weeks. It's harder on DW than me. She's doing most of the work and chasing details.

But once he's in his apartment he'll have better access to medical care, he'll have a medicine aide to make sure he takes his prescriptions (which may have been the problem - him not taking them, or the wrong amounts) and there is a nurse in the building every day.

What did I do today? Gave my notice.

Oh wait.....do I actually have to be RETIRED to post in this thread? :D

Wow! People are quitting left and right. Who's left to turn out the light?

Corporate America is in big trouble. Oops. I forgot about the kiddos who will take our place to grind it out.

Last edited:
Snuck in one last round of golf for the season with some friends on an unseasonably warm day.

On the closest to the pin hole, a 110 yard par 3, the best golfer in our group put a shot about 10' from the hole. I launched a PW that looked like it was heading right for his ball that hit about 2' in front of the pin and settled about 5' past the pin - a great shot for me worth a whopping $8!

And no, I missed the birdie putt (misjudged the break) but had a tap in par.

Today's high of 68F will surrender to a cold front and tomorrow's high is expected to be only 43F - burr - time to get the downhill skis out of the garage and dust them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom