what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been under the weather since the motorcycle show when I felt that tickle in my throat that lets you know that sickness is coming. Have had a sore throat for over a week now, and the other day after thinking it was getting better, turned into the night from hell with more pain and a restless night. Been taking OTC cold meds, ibuprofen, and Xicam, but to little avail.

Finally went to the urgent care clinic as my regular doc could not see me until Wed. No strep, and no flu symptoms (had my flu shot), but swollen tonsils (still got em) and lymph nodes. Got a 5 day treatment of antibiotics and am praying it helps.

Being sick and either in bed or not far from it, is no way to enjoy the days. Even missed the trek to Grandma's house for TDay to not infect others.

Hope to be me usual obnoxious self again soon.

DW is a great nurse!

Believe it or not, my dentist was asking me how I was doing w.r.t my brushing and flossing habits. He changed the subject after I reminded him of how the tooth came out.

Another good reason that I can use for not flossing!! :dance:

It seems everytime I go to the dentist the hygenist asks me how often I floss... I make like I'm thinking really hard and say "The last time I flossed....... you did it!" :D

Borrowed that one from Jeff Foxworthy.

Thank you!! :LOL: No, I am not in any pain at all right now, unless the dual mental anguish of being suddenly without that tooth and simultaneously knowing that I will have to loosen my pursestrings counts. I think it is a pretty reasonable price, too. Actually he said a little under $3,000, probably, and then he usually gives me a 15% discount on his labor, which would be on top of that, I suppose. I am so glad to hear that you are happy with yours. It sounds so extreme and scary.

Ouch. I was more fortunate. Instead of a crown my dentist was able to repair the tooth so it will only cost whatever she charges for a complex filling. Se did the job and I was able to eat dinner without fear or discomfort last night. There's nothing like having a good dentist!:)

Today I mustered up the strength to go remove all of the gear from my Jeep and drive it to my mechanic friend's shop. The engine has a head gasket problem. I have advertised it on craiglist and displayed it out in my front yard for a very decent price AS IS for parts. No serious offers were received.
The tires alone are worth what I was asking for the vehicle. :LOL:
So my mechanic friend is going to buy it from me to either fix up and use for himself, or will "parts it out" as a demand happens. He will look it all over from underneath and make me an offer by Friday.
It will be a relief to be rid of it. :dance:

We continue to suffer from the flu bug. Mr B is recovering more slowly but steadily. According to the VA nurse, this flu bug is making the rounds throughout the area. All we can do is ride it out. I am sick of being sick. :(
End of whine. ;)

Drove back from San Diego yesterday. Had a great time with DW's family over the holiday weekend.

We stayed at a very nice hotel in La Jolla. Our lowly Camry rubbed elbows with the BMWs/Benzes/Cadillacs in the parking lot. And I think we looked a bit underdressed to the crowd dining at the hotel's upscale restaurant. :D

I live La Jolla adjacent - we sometimes eat at George's (restaurant on Prospect) or Alfonso's (across the street from George's.). My husband LOVES to watch the expression of the valet folks when we drop off the 17 year old dodge pickup. Pretty funny next to the mercedes and Jag's. But then again - the true local La Jollans probably walked or rode their bikes.

Next time you're visiting San Diego/La Jolla - check out Barbarella's over near La Jolla shores - fun restaurant with a casual vibe. Dressed up folks are the exception. It's not in the "downtown" La Jolla part (Prospect/Girard) but north of there, below UCSD.

I can't think of a bad hotel in La Jolla. And I'm surprised that your car wasn't turned away at the city limits...

The travel lodge used to be dicey - but I think it has been redone.

I live La Jolla adjacent - we sometimes eat at George's (restaurant on Prospect) or Alfonso's (across the street from George's.). My husband LOVES to watch the expression of the valet folks when we drop off the 17 year old dodge pickup. Pretty funny next to the mercedes and Jag's. But then again - the true local La Jollans probably walked or rode their bikes.

Next time you're visiting San Diego/La Jolla - check out Barbarella's over near La Jolla shores - fun restaurant with a casual vibe. Dressed up folks are the exception. It's not in the "downtown" La Jolla part (Prospect/Girard) but north of there, below UCSD.

Thanks rodi for the restaurant tip. We're bound to be back in La Jolla every year or so to visit family there. We stayed at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, which is located just north of UCSD, so this restaurant's location would be very convenient.

Woke up early and got my morning walk (~2 miles) in before 8. Why? Because our motorhome delivery was scheduled for 10am. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/motorhome-59221-10.html#post1252503

Spent most of the day walking through all of the details - much more complex and sophisticated than the last RV we rented nearly 10 years ago. Looking forward to a trial run on Friday night at a nearby state park.

Fixed a nice stuffed fish dinner, watched The Voice while doing the dishes (bummed that Dez and Cody are both out). Knitted a little and watched the Daily Show with DH.

ER ROCKS!

Ah, La Jolla...

Attachments

• la jolla 01.jpg
    la jolla 01.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 180
  • la jolla 02.jpg
    la jolla 02.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 177
  • la jolla 03.jpg
    la jolla 03.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 176
Day 6 of the flu...it seems like I've been sick for a month. The good news is I am feeling better with each passing day. Mr B was diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia and is taking the meds to fight that. County health officials have reported a quadrupling in flu cases over a 2 week period.

We have been cooped up togther 24/7 for the last week. A true test of compatibility! :LOL:

I actually have some energy today, so I am going to sort through the plants I hastily moved indoors and weed out the ones that are struggling. The room where I keep them has become a bit of a disaster. I always feel better after doing some organizing and decluttering. :D

Spent fun day with my mom. She is a wheeler-dealer. While visiting a consignment shop where she has a booth, i ran across a neat antique bed/nightstand for just under $200.00. We have an empty bedroom, so it didn't take much wondering about it.

I rarely (never) shop for furniture and was astonished at the low prices on well made, beautiful, sturdy pieces. My mom is 81yo and antiques are her love/livelihood. She encouraged the purchase, telling me that the economy in this area means prices are really good right now.

Picking up the stuff tomorrow. Shampooed carpets in the house yesterday, so this it is perfect timing. Since we turned one bedroom into a computer/newt (amphibians my DH cares about), room and another bedroom has twin bed, i feel good about creating a real "guest room".

Decorating plans dancing in my head, even tho i don't decorate. :)

Yesterday was a different kind of workout: house painting. This was all the nooks & crannies that have been caulked & primed but haven't been completely trimmed out. 2.5 hours of detail work on a ladder with a two-inch brush and a quart of exterior high-gloss latex.

It looks great but... ouch. You wouldn't think that standing barefoot on a ladder, clenching a paintbrush in one hand and a quart of paint in the other, would be so painful afterwards.

So today is another low-key day before more painting tomorrow. We did grocery shopping and I ran six loads of washing (but only three loads of dryer).

Got an offer on the blog today. I'd want at least $4000 (this month) and the seller would have probably walked away from anything over $6000. However I think the revenue can ramp up pretty quickly in 2013, and the "conventional wisdom" of 24x-36x monthly revenue seems to inadequately cover this situation. So I told him I'd take another look in June.

DW and I spent the afternoon at our daughter's new house. DW put up holiday decorations. DD's car battery gave ou yesterday at work. A coworker gave it a jump to get her home, but it was as dead as Jacob Marley when we got there so I bought a new battery for her and installed it.

Brought DS's two city dogs out to the burbs for the weekend. Our 10 month old little puppy is running the big one ragged. Both girls are in heaven! The other one is curled on the couch next to me like a little princess watching the mayhem.

Slept 'til 8:30. Around noon went over to FIL's house to check out progress on the renovations, BIL has done a wonderful job on the deck and railing, and parging the fireplace chimney (the bricks were flaking). Took some photos of that because DW wanted me to. The contractor has started on the ceiling tiles in the basement but now has to wait for the plumber to come in and replace some piping before that can continue.

Came home, had lunch, then drove out to Devil's Backbone park near Hagerstown, MD with the intention of taking some late afternoon photos of the waterfall but the park is closed for some renovations. Dang it all.

You can minimize that risk of loss by selling and buying back as immediately as possible (assuming you are buying back the same ticker)...
Well, I am taking this occasion to do a bit of fortuitous market timing. ;)

Have sold about $100K worth, and will need to check to see if the cap gain on the sales did not push me over to the next tax bracket. May get to sell some more on Monday.

And no, I am not buying back the same things, but am looking for something that might be undervalued. Of course, those are undervalued for a good reason, and may stay so for a while. So, I may just sit in cash and wait for a bit.

I am not joking when I say I am a market timer. Not proud nor ashamed of it. I just am. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom