what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the gym with DW, made reservations for six for the zip line canopy tour in Harper's Ferry, WV next May. Looking forward to that.

Re the requests for college donations we get that all the time too. And a few months ago I got a post card from the alumni association for the high school. Geez, I haven't been there since 1968!

It is amazing how the Alumni Offices at colleges and universities can find "lost" graduates, even after decades of no contact. I truly believe their investigative techniques and talents could put the FBI to shame.

I've said this for years.
My all-time favorite was the phone call I got asking me for a donation about 15 years after I graduated. They called me at the unlisted phone in my office in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I was so astounded that I asked how they had found me, but it was just a student working off a list of names and numbers he had been given by the alumni office. Truly impressive.

I gave enough money to finance a senior field trip for an ornithology class, and now I'm an "Honorary Alumna".

I gave enough money to finance a senior field trip for an ornithology class, and now I'm an "Honorary Alumna".

Good for you. That sounds like a worthy thing to support. Our donations have earned us the title of "Supporters of the Library" at our alma mater. This title seems to have an expectation of ongoing support that goes along with it.

what did you do today?

They still send stuff to "lieutenant", and. I have not been that rank for thirty years. Each year I say 'no thanks' to offering a donation, and ask them to change my title. They always say they'll do that, and I've made a mental note to make a nice donation the first year they contact me and get it correct. Something tells me my pocketbook is safe.

Spread fertilizer on the lawn this morning just ahead of the rain that will follow for the next two days.

We are in Ruidoso, NM, at a timeshare condo. No RV'ing for this trip. Am waiting for the camera battery to charge before heading out to do some sightseeing and museum visits.

I have heard of this resort skiing town, but have not had a chance to visit. So when a good deal for timeshare exchange popped up on my wife's screen a couple of months ago and she asked if we wanted to go, I replied "Why not?". It would not work for us to go during the crowded tourist season, particularly as we are not skiers.

Retirement life is great with its flexibility for travel.

Yes, yes it is.

Spare battery and car charger come in handy for us.

Very productive day yesterday (for a change). After my morning 2-mile walk, breakfast, and shower, I wrote 4 letters: 2 to prison inmates as part of a letter-writing ministry and 2 to members of my church going on a retreat. Next I loaded up the car with "merch" (aka unwanted stuff) for the annual youth garage sale at church. Dropped the stuff off, along with a knitted prayer shawl I finished Thursday night. Went to the post office to mail the letters (there are mail thieves in our neighborhood so we don't put outgoing mail in the box). After lunch, I tackled our taxes - although we need to file an extension due to some documents I need to get from my sister's accountant which are always late, I knew we would owe some $$ (more than expected capital gains at the end of the year) so I wanted to get that estimated. Plowed through all the documents and actually got it all figured out!!! Cooked shrimp scampi for dinner and baked a banana snack cake for good measure. Then settled down with a glass of wine to watch March Madness and start knitting the next prayer shawl. It was a good day!

Today went to the farmer's market and found lots of nice vegetable and herb plants for $0.50 each from the local HS FFA, so I'll be out planting this afternoon. Making osso buco and risotto for dinner tonight, yum!

Today, I was a judge for a National High School Mock Trial competition at my young wife's high school. It was quite heartening to see a bunch of intelligent, hard-working and enthusiastic young people. They were very well prepared and more poised and confident on their feet than a number of attorneys I've seen.

Very productive day yesterday (for a change). After my morning 2-mile walk, breakfast, and shower, I wrote 4 letters: 2 to prison inmates as part of a letter-writing ministry and 2 to members of my church going on a retreat. Next I loaded up the car with "merch" (aka unwanted stuff) for the annual youth garage sale at church. Dropped the stuff off, along with a knitted prayer shawl I finished Thursday night. Went to the post office to mail the letters (there are mail thieves in our neighborhood so we don't put outgoing mail in the box). After lunch, I tackled our taxes - although we need to file an extension due to some documents I need to get from my sister's accountant which are always late, I knew we would owe some $$ (more than expected capital gains at the end of the year) so I wanted to get that estimated. Plowed through all the documents and actually got it all figured out!!! Cooked shrimp scampi for dinner and baked a banana snack cake for good measure. Then settled down with a glass of wine to watch March Madness and start knitting the next prayer shawl. It was a good day!

Today went to the farmer's market and found lots of nice vegetable and herb plants for $0.50 each from the local HS FFA, so I'll be out planting this afternoon. Making osso buco and risotto for dinner tonight, yum!
I think I will have to stop and have a beer. I got exhausted just reading your post. :LOL:

Spare battery and car charger come in handy for us.
I had a spare battery carried inside the camera case. Both batteries were depleted! And I was debating whether to bring the battery charger. :facepalm:

Anyway, yesterday we spent a few hours in Lincoln, NM, to learn the history events around the story of Billy the Kid and the mayhem back then. I learned of Billy the Kid reading the Belgian cartoon series "Lucky Luke", but these children comics had nothing about the true violence in the real Western US.

BillytheKidLuckyLukecomic.jpg

Last edited:
While doing some ancestry research I managed to reliably connect the dots back to my 16th great-grandfather born in 1432. In the mix found 2 Earls, one of them during the reign of Henry VIII, a Countess, and a Lord born in the mid 1500's.

While doing some ancestry research I managed to reliably connect the dots back to my 16th great-grandfather born in 1432. In the mix found 2 Earls, one of them during the reign of Henry VIII, a Countess, and a Lord born in the mid 1500's.
I'm trying to find out where my LW's grandfather was born!

I'm proudly descended from a long line of peasants.

Yesterday we went to see "Noah". I won't say anything about the film because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't know how it ends. :)

We just got back from a week -end at Cape Kennedy space center . It was very interesting seeing the launch pad & the shuttle Atlantis plus the Imax film on repairing the Hubble telescope was amazing . Good week-end !

We'll be visiting there in September, basing ourselves in Cocoa Beach. Looks like there is enough to do there to occupy an entire day!

Doing what we've been doing for the past 3 weeks: getting our house ready to list.

We are just about ready!

Disassembled much of the dash on the passenger's side of our Honda Pilot to change the A/C filter and remove the remnants of a mouse nest from the fan. What a PITA to get to the fan housing...

We'll be visiting there in September, basing ourselves in Cocoa Beach. Looks like there is enough to do there to occupy an entire day!
The space center takes a whole day to see it . Make sure you take the included bus tour which takes you to the launching pads .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom