what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran errands in the morning, including picking up our tax returns from our accountant, bless her. She makes April so much less painful.

Spent the bulk of the day in my weaving class, which is through the Adult Ed section of our local community college. These are the big floor looms we're weaving on. I realized today that the very bold, graphic pattern I chose and the high-contrast colors I'm using means that I'm getting lots of opportunity to notice my mistakes and the technique areas where I CLEARLY need some practice....

Now I'm grading papers. Dinner in a bit, then off to see Les Ballets Trockadero!

what did you do today?

Nice enough weather we're thinking about assembling the canoe putting it in the water - it's an Ally folder. Got my first fishing license, so I might make a fool out out of myself try casting from a canoe.

Film at seven .. Lol

We don't have a problem with two in one boat - as long as we agree on a destination.

OK - made a fool of myself casting until I went online and discovered what I was doing wrong. Practiced in the back yard with a weight, using a complacent bunny as a target. Kept dropping the weight right in front of him, and reeling it in. Didn't even faze him until the wind blew the line under him, and when I started reeling in, the line taut ended beneath him and he jumped two feet in the air., twisting around to discover the source of his surprise. Still didn't run away, though.

Will try the fishing gig again tomorrow.

what did you do today?

OK - made a fool of myself casting until I went online and discovered what I was doing wrong. Practiced in the back yard with a weight, using a complacent bunny as a target. Kept dropping the weight right in front of him, and reeling it in. Didn't even faze him until the wind blew the line under him, and when I started reeling in, the line taut ended beneath him and he jumped two feet in the air., twisting around to discover the source of his surprise. Still didn't run away, though.

Will try the fishing gig again tomorrow.

As a kid, we usually fished with a sinker and a bobber for bluegill and crappie, or some stinkbait and sinker for catfish, good for when you were "too drunk to fish". Here in Texas, bass is king. Some friends from w*rk used to have a bass tournament/drunken weekend at Lake Fork in east Texas. In spring, the bass were on nest, so you would troll around near the shore, or in and around brush, attempting to toss a worm rig near a nest, to piss off Mama Bass and get her to strike. Of course, as the comedian Gallagher once said, "How would like to be making love, then have someone dangle a pizza over the bed?"

DW and I went snow skiing again for the day. Temps have dropped so the slopes were firm, particularly up top. A little ice here and there, but overall a pretty good day. probably should have waited for a warmer day and softer conditions.

Went to the gym with DW. Thought about mowing some grass in an area that could use it then decided to do it some other time.

Note to self: After last winter, DO NOT complain about grass mowing or how hot it gets this summer!

DW and I went snow skiing again for the day. Temps have dropped so the slopes were firm, particularly up top. A little ice here and there, but overall a pretty good day. probably should have waited for a warmer day and softer conditions.
Hard to call it a bad day when you're skiing!

As a kid, we usually fished with a sinker and a bobber for bluegill and crappie, or some stinkbait and sinker for catfish, good for when you were "too drunk to fish". Here in Texas, bass is king. Some friends from w*rk used to have a bass tournament/drunken weekend at Lake Fork in east Texas. In spring, the bass were on nest, so you would troll around near the shore, or in and around brush, attempting to toss a worm rig near a nest, to piss off Mama Bass and get her to strike. Of course, as the comedian Gallagher once said, "How would like to be making love, then have someone dangle a pizza over the bed?"

Depends if I were twenty or if I were sixty lol...

what did you do today?

An interesting day.

Set a new record for assembling the canoe. I don't want to talk about it.

The gusting wind had as much control over our course on the water as we did. I don't want to talk about it.

A reminder that, when peeling an apple, the thumb that gets peeled does not belong to the apple. I don't want to talk about it.

We discovered that, in shallow water, the stern of of the canoe scrapes bottom when the bow doesn't. I ESPECIALLY don't want to talk about THAT.

But, in the end, we had nice quiet paddle back in some sheltered areas of Hueston Lake; areas which are normally mud flats and unnavigable by water. Got to sit quietly and watch beaver swim in the water. No, not Jerry Mathers.

And I got to spend the day, and come home with, my high school sweetheart, who's managed to stick around with me for forty years. So it was a GOOD day.

And my thumb is healing very well, thank you for asking...

DSL company came by and solved our problem. The last guy had left a wire outside the pedestal and it was getting wet and shorting. Worked ok while things were all frozen up but once things started thawing it became an issue. I think he had more trouble getting to the pedestal which was on the back side of a huge snowbank than he did fixing the wire.

Also, took the cover off the boat today. The heavy snow over the winter had busted the frame that supports the cover. Ditto for one of my neighbors down the road, but two other neighbors boats seemed to weather the winter fine. Luck of the draw, or not I guess.

Last edited:
Yesterday, my Quicken bottom number showed a day's gain of more than what we spent YTD.

Today, it is showing a loss of the same magnitude as yesterday's gain. Sadly, there is a difference. That is the above loss is before reporting from mutual funds, which consist of 1/3 of my equity holding.

Easy come, easy go!

We do well in a double kayak, because I do all the heavy lifting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1397177540757.jpg
    1397177540757.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 12
Went on a hike from Hell yesterday. Today I spent 2.5 hours in (gentle and restorative) yoga classes trying to stretch my muscles. I swear yoga is like the fountain of youth.

Yesterday, my Quicken bottom number showed a day's gain of more than what we spent YTD.

Today, it is showing a loss of the same magnitude as yesterday's gain. Sadly, there is a difference. That is the above loss is before reporting from mutual funds, which consist of 1/3 of my equity holding.

Easy come, easy go!

The tech sector had a very bad day...

Went on a hike from Hell yesterday. Today I spent 2.5 hours in (gentle and restorative) yoga classes trying to stretch my muscles. I swear yoga is like the fountain of youth.

That hike was Monday lol. Walked a few miles Tuesday and Wednesday to stretch muscles. Canoed today so we could sit down for a while *grin*

The tech sector had a very bad day...
My individual stocks together went down 1.86% today, "beating" the S&P at -2.09%, and of course the Nasdaq at -3.10%.

Still waiting for the MFs in my wife's 401k to report.

We do well in a double kayak, because I do all the heavy lifting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Reminds me of a time when DW and I rented a bicycle built for two in Vail. Had the kids in a trailer when they were toddlers. After peddling for a few miles, I thought I was way out of shape. DW was so tired she got off and walked the last quarter mile. That's when I noticed the bike with the trailer and two kids was suddenly easy to peddle! To this day, I don't know how she got so tired.:LOL: (We had a great time and, yes, she got a bit of ribbing on that one. ;))

Woke up at 6 AM. Godawful hour to be up while retired. Usually up around 8.

Woke up at 6 AM. Godawful hour to be up while retired. Usually up around 8.

From years of getting up at 5:30 for work, my dog has an internal stomach alarm telling him it's time for breakfast at 5:45. No sleeping in during retirement while we have our four-legged child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom